Tue Sept 8 2015 13:38:46

eBay Seller Unable to Participate in Promotion

By: Reader

As with eBay's last free listing promotion, we were included this week in the new variable 45-day promotion that began Sept. 1. We received 180 free listings, equal to about 10% of the listings in our eBay Anchor Store.

And just like last time, all our free listings were immediately eaten up with relistings of our good-til-canceled fixed-price listings, which means that in both promotions we never got to list a single auction.

We pay for an Anchor Store because we have a lot of GTC listings and the Anchor Store is a better deal for us. But eBay uses the GTC listings we're already paying for to wipe out the free listings, so we get nothing out of the promotion because we never even get a chance to list auctions with the free listings.

Since they changed the Anchor Store rules, the only free auction listing we get are 100 in collectibles categories only, so we wait for these free listing promotions to auction items in categories other than collectibles, then eBay steals our free listings by charging off GTC listings we're already paying for.

This punishes us both for having an Anchor Store and for having GTC listings. You would think after this happened the last time, eBay would do something about it, but as with so many things they never learn.

Once again, thanks eBay.
The Grey Fox

Note from the Editor: This is not the first such complaint we've received recently about this type of problem, and this article from last month points to other problems sellers have had with eBay promotions.

eBay Seller Unable to Participate in Promotion   eBay Seller Unable to Participate in Promotion

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Sep 9 02:58:58 2015

They did not just change the Anchor store rules/fees.  They did it for ALL store levels.

Up until recently GTC listings were NEVER consider in any promotion that Ebay did.  It has only been the last few that now allow them to be considered in the promotions.

I do understand what you are saying and it can cause you to spend a few bucks you would otherwise not have to spend.  The promotion right now is for 80 free listings.  The difference for an Anchor Store's GTC listings and Auctions is a nickle.  So .05x80=$4.00.

For a Premium or Basic store the cost difference is the same as well.  So it is all store levels that can potentially spend up to $4 more in fees.

Personally I think the bigger issue at hand is where the heck are the larger promotions for auctions.  With the change in the fee structure for ALL store levels has come a real decrease in auctions on Ebay.  80 free listings in a 45 day period is great for small / micro sellers, but those with a store of any size it has very little effect.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 9 18:34:40 2015

Wow O Wow a promotion to save 4.00$.  Not worth our time to even click the activate button.

by: SparklyEyes7 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 10 00:54:21 2015

I have a basic store an got 500 free listings.

I used my first 47 listings to auction some needlepoint items I got at a garage sale for a total of $10.

So far, it's up $600+

I love the auction process!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 10 01:10:56 2015

I have five different eBay accounts and got offered 80 Free listings on 4 of them;  and 500 on the one account that has SOLD NOTHING since--June.  No items from there are being SEEN and of course--none have sold.

I find this----odd.

I do remember several times when ebay had "promos"  and they SAID that the listings would NOT use up our "free" listings--yet of course they DID.

I suspect that THIS one is being offered so that when the original free listings run OUT we will not hesitate to hit the RELIST button--and thus run up charges that we might not otherwise have elected to pay.

Some have also said that ebay is feeling a loss at the failure of small sellers to list now that they have TAKEN AWAY the 50/50 Free listings and limited us to 20/20 with 20 of THOSE limited to the narrow collectibles category.

Maybe they are suffering--or maybe they are just psycho as ever.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 10 07:22:15 2015

I have had this happen to me in my anchor store. I used to have 8000 listings in my anchor store and pay $.05 X 5500 in extra fees ($275) over the $180 yearly based monthly anchor store fee. That wasn't too bad when I was selling $4,000 - $6,000 a month but then my sales dropped to between $1000 and $2000 and the only one making money is Ebay with that scenario. I cut out all but 2500 listings so I never pay more than the $180 fee and that's still too much for my 40 monthly sales for $1000 - $1500.

My plan, once the yearly subscription is up in 8 months (can't cancel before then since the cancellation fee is almost as much as the regular monthly fee X months left) I will go to the lower tier and pay the $.10 per listing for up to 2000 listings.

Going to a lower level and NOT going into a yearly subscription will accompish 2 things:

1) Allow me to get out fast if Ebay makes another change I don't want to deal with OR they limit my account and I'm still liable for the high subcription fees that I'm not using.

2) Will give me more flexibility to use the "free" listings Ebay gives out.

It still bugs me that non-store sellers only pay 1% more in selling fees and continue to get free promotions every month. I am paying $200 in listing fees for an average of $1200 in sales which means I am paying an extra 17% in selling fees for my saless. Non-store sellers have a huge advantage and that is my goal -- to become a non-store seller once I whittle down my sales to under 1000.

This user has validated their user name. by: gettingby

Sun Sep 13 02:09:25 2015

@The Grey Fox -  The solution to this situation is simple. Wait to activate the promotion until you are ready to submit your auction listings.

If you list auctions at a time when you do not have GTC listings 'relisting', you can use all of the promotional listings for auctions.

I hope this helps!