Mon Sept 7 2015 09:45:51

Do You Agree This eBay Practice Is Deceptive?

By: Reader

I am writing this letter to the editor to assist other eBay sellers to watch carefully what you click on in a returns request from an eBay buyer.

We do not accept returns on eBay yet a buyer is allowed to request a return. We received a return request for an item that did not fit the buyer.

She did not read the entire drop down box which contains not only the size but the size range that that the size fits. She read the size and clicked to make the purchase. When the item did not fit, she requested a return or exchange.

We offered her an exchange by buying her exchange item and we would then authorize her return. I replied to the buyers email then clicked on the returns request. They give you some options.

1. close the return (because we do not accept returns they give that option).
2. refund the buyer
3. offer a partial refund to the buyer and they keep the item
4. accept the return
5. send a message to the buyer.

We sent a message to the buyer to show that we were working with the buyer.

Later in the day I received a reply from the buyer in an email. The email was not the usual email format. Instead the email said:

"REPLY TO THE BUYER SOON"
THE BUYER Send you a message about their request:
"It may say 1X but that doesn't mean it is a 1X. This is not as described."

To reply now, see the request details.
See request details

When you click the reply now button "BEWARE"  it immediately sends you into a return process and says you have accepted a return from this buyer.

I never accepted a return but this DECEPTIVE BUTTON  causes the return to be accepted. eBay really needs to get their act together.

I am not sure where this return request is going to go since it now shows that I am accepting a return even though I clicked off of that process and never followed through with the steps to finish acceptance.

I only clicked on a see request details button to reply to the buyers email thinking I would be brought to the original return request page with the options set forth as stated above. It was not that at all but a "see request details) end you a message about their request:

"It may say 1X but that doesn't mean it is a 1X. This is not as described."
To reply now, see the request details.

"See request detail" was a trap button that ended up being an accept request button.
This is so deceptive to the seller.
Signed,
Frustrated

Do You Agree This eBay Practice Is Deceptive?   Do You Agree This eBay Practice Is Deceptive?

by: OmiGosh This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 7 10:24:26 2015

I had the same thing happen same comment about the size being wrong. I wrote back."have you considered that maybe you have packed on a few holiday pounds and that's why it doesn't fit?" I got my mouth washed out with soap by eBay for being rude to a customer.

by: jewellsjust This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 7 10:28:07 2015

Yes, their practices are definitely deceptive.  Sounds like they have their "Buttons" crossed. I accept returns with buyer paying return shipping, they do not give that option. A lady requested a return and said the item was defective and then says they were the wrong size. The size is written plainly in title and description.  She would never respond to me period, I told her if she wanted to return, to do so and she pays shipping.  finally I received the item back, their is not defect period...I then offered a refund less the original shipping.  Have not heard from her.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 7 11:55:39 2015

@Omigosh

Ebay is fast to wash out the sellers mouth but could care less about the foul dribble cascading from some of their buyers mouths.

Buyers on Ebay are burped, diaper changed and feed to keep them happy.

Sellers are screwed daily.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Sep 7 12:58:20 2015

OP has ''no returns'' but got caught up in eBay's Buyer Guarantee.

Over the past couple years the return process has seemed fluid.  I remember the choices could change from return to return, and at times the entire process could change from return to return. I never knew what to expect.

To remove angst, the process should be simple, smooth, and consistent for both the buyer and seller.

A ''14 day returns'' (or 30) policy should be just that.  That is what buyers see highlighted.  Buyers expect to be able to return it in that time period.  The return details link should clearly spell out who pays shipping, tags intact, any restocking fees, etc - without any question that returns are allowed.

As a buyer, If I see ''no returns'' I make sure I ask questions, etc... but do not expect to return item unless undisclosed damage. If I see ''14 day returns'' I expect to be able to do just that.

There should not  be fine print or conflicting policy in the listing text (as I see at times).  Listing text should match the policy section or let the policy section stand with no further mention.

While I offer a simple ''any reason'' returns on clothing for quite a while now and it works well for my business -  that policy may not work for all sellers.

In most cases ''only if'' or ''case by case'' returns should be a ''no returns'' policy with the ''allowed'' scenario described in the listing. BUT NOTE: if seller says return allowed ''only if I mistakenly  misrepresent item'' inevitably  a simple ''did not fit'' issue will become ''misrepresented item'' in order for buyer to simply return ill fitting item - always with that eBay buyer guarantee lurking in the background.

At one time, eBay had an ''exchange only'' policy choice, didn't they?  Is it gone?  Seems like it might be useful for some.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 7 13:00:34 2015

All sellers should know by now that a No Return policy is not really a No Return policy.  It even says it on your listings.

When a seller states a No Return Policy on their listing, Ebay follows that statement with the Buyer is still covered by the Money Back Guarantee.  Therefore you really do take returns if they fall under that policy.

With that said, what happened to the OP just should not be allowed.  Under the Money Back Guarantee a return for buyer's remorse is not allowed.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Mon Sep 7 14:02:22 2015

a buyer could lie a ton of different ways about an item to force a return.  ebay doesn't care.  just wait until the fall seller update if you thought forced returns were bad now.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Sep 7 16:08:48 2015

I have a no returns policy and I always took returns anyway until eBay poked their nose in my business and started making me pay for the return shipping for the occasional "liar buyer".  I now fight them all unless I have made an error.

I have won every case except one, and on that one, I appealed and won on appeal.  I don't like this, but when a buyer files a case for a defect that is not there just to make me pay for return shipping I will fight back.  That is stealing from me and I won't have it.

This policy is proof that eBay is not "just a venue".

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Sep 7 16:10:21 2015

And I do agree with WOODJUNGLE....I think the fall updates will force us all to take returns.

To hell with eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Sep 7 21:48:36 2015

Ebafia isn't now and never has been "just a venue" and certainly not "a just venue."

Brian Burke's purpose in creating intentional confusion is to create seller defects.

by: ssusannss This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 7 22:15:30 2015

If you don't take returns just close the return eBays asks why, just tell them. I take returns but sell used clothing. Two buyers requested returns 30 days after purchase. I refused and closed the returns. Reason being returns were outside return rundown.
Couldn't have been easier.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 7 22:23:26 2015

In Managed returns you seem to have to accept everything back, and that is how the flow is written.
If you accept returns and are not in Managed returns you can fight a buyers Remorse claim- in managed returns the flow doesn't even allow for defending against BR return attempts.
In Managed returns #1 up there isn't even there- you will eat it every time- you won't even have enough time to defend it- tracking # uploaded by buyer- refund complete.
MH
(Learned something interesting today- if a buyer quits ebay themselves the "NARU" shows as BLUE on their page- if ebay kicks you off- the NARU shows as RED).

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 7 23:38:27 2015

No Returns means NOTHING. eBay has made it clear that people wont be happy - and they meant SELLERS (since sellers are expendable, buyers are not).

The system was designed to insure that a return will be completed - like it or not.

The first part was the set up. You have to remember that EVERYTHING eBay does is slimy, a lie, a cheat and is designed to steal from sellers. Once you have that lens, you can proceed.

Im sure that the email the BUYER SAW said "even though this seller indicated that he/she does NOT accept returns - your item is STILL COVERED BY EBAYS MBG POLICY" "Click here to describe why you feel it should be covered under that policy - aka tell us what was WRONG with your purchase.

Once the buyer clicks on NOT AS DESCRIBED - your fate is/was sealed.

The return changed from a No Fault return or no return at all to a MBG return and then you lost.

eBay gains with returns as does Paypal, while sellers loose in many many ways. Therefore eBay doesnt care what happens, who get hurt etc. As long as they make money (postage fees) and Paypal (money from the label) its all good. PLUS eBay gains favor from the customer since "they got their money back and eBay is on my side against the evil NO RETURNS seller".

Its all a con game like playing poker with the triads in a sweaty Chinatown basement.

You cant win/you wont win and heres you defect as a bonus - thanks for playing.

by: sundance This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 8 06:38:21 2015

Yes.  Totally agree.  Deceptive.  It is eBay, after all.  Synonymous.

by: sundance This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 8 06:42:57 2015

pace306:  FYI:  eBay is no longer on the PayPal mailing labels.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 8 07:06:40 2015

I don't think we should beat up on Ebay.  It's not like a B&M store, and they cannot inspect the items like a B&M store.  After buyers complained about EB so badly in BBB and Consumer Complaints area, EB has to do something to make good.
Just accept the return, and resell the dress at a higher price to cover the postage.

by: geministuff28 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 8 07:59:01 2015

pace306:  FYI:  ''eBay is no longer on the PayPal mailing labels''

EBAY ''is'' still on the labels you print via PAYPAL

''PAYPAL'' is no longer on the labels you print for EBAY via PAYPAL

At least it is for me..

As for the subject of this post...

I have to agree with everyone.
EBAY's return policy ''sucks''

I feel for the OP. I too sell clothing. NWT, NWOT & preowned...

I make sure I HIGHLIGHT in every listing, to ask ask ask for any measurement needed before buying or bidding.

I've gotten some very strange requests like the size of a button, the distance between 2 buttons, the depth of a collar... just to name a few... I think those are just a game people play!
Too much time on their hands & such empty lives!

Bottom line... it's a crap shoot!

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 8 08:53:35 2015

Of course it is deceptive..........

Why should we expect anything else from ebay!

Have been selling since 98 so know what ebay was - ie a venue, which it no longer is since it insists on controlling every aspect of the transactions on the site.

I try to lessen the impact of anti-seller policies as best I can by passing up opportunities to sell many types of items that seem to be problematic with regard to returns.  I don't have the stomach to put up with what clothing sellers go through.

That being said, if you want to sell items that lend to a high volume of returns then you will have to just suck it up because ebay will force returns to be accepted for anything, anytime for any reason for all items and all sellers sooner rather than later.

I hate it and feel sorry for small sellers who have to take losses on returns.  The big retailers do not lose money on returns.....everyone else is not usually so lucky.

PLEASE DON'T just pooh pooh the issues of sellers who are still using ebay.  Just because you may be able to sell on other sites, there are many of us for whom ebay, no matter how far downhill it has gone, still is the best place to be.

by: SparklyEyes7 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 8 09:01:26 2015

Did you also give measurements or just the tag size?

I sell some clothes and measure everything because sizing isn't consistent even with the same maker most of the times.

I also offer a 14-day return and have had two items returned because they didn't fit and both buyers paid for the return shipping.  I think setting up a no-return policy sets you up for the IND claim.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 8 09:18:43 2015

get real - you are a retailer just like walmart and target. spend a moment to look at the return desk at your local walmart - steady stream of people doing returns. all things considered there is a much smaller percentage on eBay. I take returns 14 days or later if I have to keep buyer happy, never a fun thing but it is part of being in the retail world. you are going to get a small percentage of buyers impossible to satisfy. Just live with it.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 8 09:57:46 2015

I think the eBay's return is somewhat complicated and deceptive.

With all the changes on eBay, I now have a no return policy. Just recently I received a couple of requests for returns.
The first one was that it didn't fit. I told her that I will accept the return at her cost of shipping back and that she would only get the price of the outfit. That one was no problem and went smooth.

The second item was a NWT. I had the mfg size and the actual measurements. The buyer contacted me and asked why would I change the size when the tag states **. And who in the heck measures new with tags clothing? And her son has 15 pairs of these jeans. I did offer her full return and then called ebay and had them confirmed that my listing was correct with showing both actual and mfg measurements twice in the description. I recinded the first offer and sent her a new offer less shipping and restocking and they have to return the jeans with all the tags. I get a note that she doesn't know if she can trust me for the refund and that I took money from a teenager and that she doesn't know how to review me. Then she told me that I was uncooperative and gave her a bad experience on eBay.
My reply was that I am an honest. I told her many sellers do measure new items with tags. I told her that I don't take returns but will consider base on each request and that I made a offer for return/refund. I also told her that trying to guilt me into a full return by using a teenager's money and the hinting of a bad feedback will not do. I then told her that her bad experience was caused by her and not reading the description that states twice the mfg vs actual size. I told her I write these descriptions as complete as I can, but I cannot force the buyer to read.
Still haven't heard from this one and have been watching Paypal for a refund. We will see.

Besides, I thought eBay was only a platform to sell. LOL

1 2 3  [Next Page]