Mon Aug 31 2015 17:39:17

eBay Seller Sees Rise in 'Unauthorized Purchase' PayPal Reports

By: Reader

Are there eBay sellers showing concerns about increase in customers filing cases for "Unauthorized Purchase" on PayPal.

We have received about 6 cases in a month. Previous to this we only receive about 1 every two years.

Are there other eBay sellers asking you about this?

I mean these are regular eBay orders. We received orders on our eBay accounts/stores. Ship it the next day as required for top rated sellers. Then a few day later we receive cases like the one mentioned above.

Our company have been selling on eBay for 7 years.
Thank you.
E.

eBay Seller Sees Rise in 'Unauthorized Purchase' P   eBay Seller Sees Rise in 'Unauthorized Purchase' P

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 31 19:30:15 2015

I suspect, though do not have inside info obviously, that the scammers are trying to pull a fast one now that Paypal is its "own company". I have noticed an uptick of sellers mentioning it on my chat boards.

by: blackmail This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 31 21:42:35 2015

same thing with my account largest number of orders canceled before I can even ship its like oops I ordered this but found it less money when checking out,

then same thing as others order placed shipping within 24 hours required by eBay the second its shipped I cringe until days later I still ship and receive unauthorized purchase notes from PayPal

then you call, them eBay is to blame call e bay PayPal is the blame it is like the pot calling kettle black

there is no protection from this the scammers are on a rampage

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Sep 1 06:55:46 2015

Scammers are on the rampage is right.

These two companies make it easier and easier for scammers.

eCrater people.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Tue Sep 1 06:56:31 2015

Here is one reason for a rise in Unauthorized Purchases. Immediately after paying for a purchase, I was shown other items and better deals from the same seller AND other sellers. Luckily, the better deal was from the same seller and the first  transaction was cancelled smoothly and the second purchase was completed.

I had a feeling the seller was use to this cancellation process since it went so fast and smooth but he might not have known these were being generated by ebay's enticing buyers after the fact with better deals. When searching I never saw this ''better deal'' until after making payment on the first transaction. Could eBay be doing this on purpose to give the appearance of increased sales volume? Since returns are not counted in eBay's quarterly reports, wouldn't cancelled transactions be treated the same way by adding to eBay's GMV? So if eBay is bombarding buyers with better or lower priced items to what they just purchased, is it not surprising to see this surge in 'Unauthorized Purchases'?

I would like to note I cancelled the first purchase within an hour of BIN so no reason had to be given for cancellation and NEVER would I have done an Unauthorized Purchase.

by: Bethofvt This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 08:23:20 2015

I have over 25,000 transactions on Paypal and have never had a single unauthorized purchase claim. Not before the breakup, not after the breakup. Maybe I've just been lucky.

by: older but not wiser This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 08:39:11 2015

Just had my first ''Unauthorized Purchase'' on Paypal for an under $10 item purchased over 3 months ago. I provided Paypal with the tracking and delivery information and the representative told me there would be no problem.  But it is still in my Paypal account as an unresolved problem.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 09:43:24 2015

In 13 years, not a one. Knock on wood!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Sep 1 09:50:22 2015

15 years on eBay, I've had 1 unauthorized purchase.

Paypal/eBay ate the $200 loss. . .

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 10:02:41 2015

Question; Are these "unauthorized purchases" primarily or exclusively happening to people with 1-2 days shipping? Also, are they primarily claiming them only AFTER the item(s) are shipped?

These two factors are very good indicators of a scam.

They wait until the item is shipped in order to receive the item(s) with no intentions of returning them and with the knowledge that ebay and paypal will not make them return the item(s), but will also give them their money back.

It does not matter that ebay and paypal are no longer one, their very bad policies are still in place leaving ALL sellers on and off of ebay at the mercy of scammers.

Sellers are going to need to make sure they LOG every buyer who makes this claim. Keep names, addresses, phone numbers and emails.

BTW,this is not just fraud, it is also MAIL FRAUD and if they are caught, can get them in serious trouble.

If you really believe it is a scammer, I would turn them into the FBI internet division. Mail fraud is a Federal crime. You CANNOT count on ebay or paypal to protect you or investigate.  Their "investigations" consist of allowing the scammers to keep you products and your money and them keeping your fees.

by: macsbaby This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 10:59:57 2015

Id had a few unauthorized purchases....their "kid" bought the item was the normal excuse. I would say they were caught up in an auction for a high end item that went very high...then remorse set in. Don't have those problems anymore do you?

by: Edgie This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 11:05:04 2015

Hi. Thank you for all your inputs & comments. We have shipped more than 25,000 order on eBay. So this is really alarming for us.

The ''unauthorized purchase'' cases we have received are orders shipped and delivered 3, 4 or 5 weeks passed. So this may really be buyer fraud because they already have the item.

One more thing, these are orders $300-600 each. For anybody who has not gotten this claim yet, PayPal will put ''on hold'' the amount in question so you will not have access to it until a decision is made. They could easily ''hold'' thousands of dollars of your hard earned money.

This user has validated their user name. by: QueenMab

Tue Sep 1 11:08:40 2015

In all the years I've been selling on eBay, a couple of years ago, I had exactly one buyer try to pull an unauthorized purchase. Unfortunately for the scammer, I was able to get my money returned by PayPal because I not only had original receipts, copies of the shipping label but the creep also had left me Positive Feedback on eBay. Fortunately for me, this was more than ample proof to have my funds returned to my PayPal account.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 11:42:32 2015

I think that bitbybit is on to something.

by: Gina E This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 12:50:47 2015

ALL scams are on the rise:
phone scams
love/partner scams
"free"pet scams
street scams
door-to-door scams
disaster relief scams
iphone-to-bank scams
credit/debit card-to-bank scams
gift card scams
bank scams of which we never hear....
It is the era of the scammer.  It is to the point that when the scammer realizes he's been found out, he unleashes a torrent of verbal abuse on the attempted victim.  I'm terrified to answer the phone or doorbell!  I have call display & don't answer unknown numbers.  I just slammed my door on an unknown visitor...a door open to allow cool air ventilation does not mean that it is open to just anyone!
on-line commerce practitioners are simply leaving multiple doors wide open to repeated scam attempts!
Every time I consider reopening ANY on-line commerce, I visit this site to convince myself to keep that door firmly shut!  The risk totally outweighs any potential gain!!
As I prepare to post this comment, the phone rings-another scammer.....

by: Gina E This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 12:59:34 2015

Note:  Receipt of positive feedback is no longer proof of receipt of goods!  This is just another way that eBay is helping buyers to scam sellers!!

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 13:40:20 2015

@Gina, we better get used to it.  Running this country are two generations of lazy people who feel entitled.  Add to that the ridiculous, unhealthy, and unproductive trend of pointing the finger at and blaming everyone but themselves for their circumstances and I see disaster for our future.  But of course no one can say one word or complain about the evil-doers, the cheats, the crooks, the criminals, or the immoral because they will cry "racism" and commit violent acts against you and your family, and of course they will sue you.

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Tue Sep 1 17:28:18 2015

@Tornad0sRul
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 17:39:54 2015

I have a problem with chargebacks. Paypal does not let you know which credit card company has made the claim or any information on the chargeback or what the buyer has claimed. Nor do they require an item to be sent back since buyer claims "I didn't do it." A dozen times I have had chargebacks attempted and each time I proved the person whose name on the card bought the item and it was delivered to their address. I am a very small seller compared to most, but it does show consumer fraud is rampant and card companies do nothing to stop it.

I imagine with Donahoe now at the helm. chargebacks will become spidemic. Notices will probably be sent to buyers by Paypal stating; "We got your back for chargebacks!"

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 18:58:31 2015

Good point babybit- that might be a strong contributing factor.
You are on the ball this week BB.
MH

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 20:19:31 2015

''Immediately after paying for a purchase, I was shown other items and better deals from the same seller AND other sellers''

I hate that ebay does this. This provides a negative experience for the seller and a negative experience for the buyer.