Sun Aug 30 2015 10:49:44

eBay Punishes Seller in a Case of Buyer Error

By: Reader

"Feebay" here again...I thought that I would share this nice little gem:

I received a defect for an INAD (Item Not As Described) case where the buyer closed the case after 1 hour on their own, and stated reason as "other", and wrote that they had not read the instructions for the item, and that it was working just fine.

I called Support THREE times. Once to the Philippines, and TWICE to US support. On the THIRD call, I was assured that the defect was removed, and that this one is "cut and dried"." It is now Aug 19th, and the big evaluation is tomorrow, and I still see the defect on my report. I call AGAIN, and was told that "it takes up to 7 days for the defect to be removed."

After I had pointed out that this defect was still on my report, and that it would count against me on my Aug 20 evaluation, the CSR told me that "it will only be on there for one more month."

Is it just me, or is this "defect policy" out of control??
Feebay

eBay Punishes Seller in a Case of Buyer Error   eBay Punishes Seller in a Case of Buyer Error

by: RLS This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 30 11:18:22 2015

One thing that has helped me
is to have the ebay rep message me about the removal. That way when you call back the new rep has something to reference. Many of the reps you speak with do not like to think and this helps them since all they have to do is read the message and take the necessary steps to clear up the problem. Always have them message you while on the phone and wait until you receive the message before hanging up.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Aug 30 15:42:50 2015

It always amazes me (disappoints me) that eBay policy-makers and reps have such a nonchalant and cavalier attitude about these things.

Whether it's a dismissive ''oh well, that's the cost of doing business'' or the absurd ''buck-up, it will only be there a month'' ... such things show an astound lack of understanding with regard to how these defects can SERIOUSLY harm a seller's ability to run their business.

They act as though it's little more than an ''FYI'' defect, that sellers can use for tweaking and improving their performance.

They dismiss sellers' concerns and treat sellers as though they are complaining for vanity reasons only. (Thus explaining the ''only one month'' type of response.)

They fail to comprehend that these things can be DEVASTATING to many sellers. It's not just the weak, marginal, and newbie sellers. Things like this can have a crushing effect on long-term sellers as well.

It's really a shame that eBay execs, planners, and policy-makers are so blind.

RLS's advice (above) sounds good to me. For the few sellers who are smart enough to take such precautionary steps, things might work out for the best. But it's my guess that MOST sellers don't fully realize what it takes to make certain CSR's follow-through with their promises. MOST sellers don't fully realize that in addition to calling, they ALSO need to mark-their-trail, document calls, instruct (train?) CSR's on company policy, and be prepared to CALL AGAIN (and again?) before they're successful.

Ugh! What a mess. What a pain! Honest, serious and competent sellers shouldn't have to go through all that.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Aug 30 20:31:58 2015

The main problem with calling, besides the horrendous wait times, is the seller really doesn't know if the problem is being resolved unless the seller can see it in realtime. Asking the rep to message you must be done while on the current call. Once a seller hangs up all bets are off and the seller is more than likely back to square one without the backup message. The sad thing is, even with the rep's message, it doesn't mean there is any resolve. Sellers trying to get error's fixed, or even just trying to sell, find dealing with eBay an uphill battle. No, eBay is not ''just a venue'', it's a battleground. Ebay keeps firing at sellers and sellers become exhausted and defeated. Sellers choices are to surrender by giving up their wallets and any business sense or leave for better greener pastures. Those sellers trying to sell on eBay at the same time as developing other venues are probably having a difficult time keeping a balance. With eBay being so weighted and unstable, I would think it would be quite difficult to keep this seesaw balanced.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 31 00:24:04 2015

Even if you have a case number or whatever they call it, a supervisor may over-ride it. this has happened to me. it is upsetting. Did they mean that you have been top rated for more than 3 months so it would only show up for one month?
I really wish that they would email a confirmation but unfortunately that would make them accountable. Nothing in writing. One thing is Paypal reps will generally do that, particularly female reps for some reason! People are so afraid of getting in trouble and there is no accountability .It is easier for them to pay lawsuits so they just make money. ATT, healthcare companies say "let them sue us" I worked for both. In the meantime, they rake in the money. Get it in writing if you can. People who put in an email have ethics. Others are so afraid...FEAR FACTOR.

This user has validated their user name. by: Kitty Ninja

Mon Aug 31 00:38:46 2015

eBay's "Defect" policy is why I closed my store and "defected" to another site...as well as other reasons at that horrible selling platform!!  eBay's loss.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 31 00:48:13 2015

Ebay is not "just a venue" it is a battleground.

Wow- I LOVE THIS!

Can I use that quote BB- KUDOS

LOVE IT!

The op MUST want to STRANGLE!

Bad, bad, bad- did we tell you this was going to happen on the 20th- HERE it is and this seller is SCREWED.

Burned at the stake these vultures should be. Now there would be a bash I would go to.

Market opens in 10.5 hours- PP will get a bump from the crappy stories THEY have placed ALL over to bouy that stock. Ebay will be the next to develop a new rip off that ebay can spread around to buoy THAT stock.

1 thing is for sure, things are getting ugly and PP is down to GIMMICKS, just like ebay has been for 7 years.

John Donahoe is alive and well in this 1 corporation.

Still screwin us.

Mass Howler

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 31 03:12:26 2015

It must be the Rep you spoke to as I had similar problem and within 24 hours the defect was removed. And to my surprise, the Rep also removed the one for the buyer remorse item from a month past. I do have to say for the first time in years, I am pleased with Ebay's recent seller service (knock on wood).

by: Two Bob Traders This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 31 04:45:50 2015

Well Well doesn't surprise me or anyone else I'm sure.I had an item not received so ebay rang the customer and told him to look on the front porch. Well surprise there it was, Ebay said they would remove the defect. Well surprise again still sitting there.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Aug 31 10:22:12 2015

I have had no problem having unwarranted defects removed from my account.

It just takes a phone call to Customer Service. . .

(below is from my seller dashboard)

Congratulations! You've been a Top Rated Seller in United States for at least 3 consecutive months. That means you're entitled to additional exclusive benefits that can help you keep your Top Rated Seller status.

Grace period

You're eligible for the grace period if you fall below Top Rated Seller standards due to any of the following:

You have fewer than 100 transactions with US buyers over the most recent 12-month period.

You have less than $1,000 in sales with US buyers over the most recent 12-month period.

You've uploaded shipment tracking within your promised handling time for less than 90% (but not less than 85%) of transactions with US buyers in the last 3 months.

You're only eligible for the Top Rated Seller grace period when:

You've been a Top Rated Seller for the last 3 (or more) consecutive months immediately preceding evaluation; and

You meet all of the performance standards of the Top Rated program for defect rate and cases closed without seller resolution.

If you don't meet sales and tracking requirements and performance standards after the grace period ends, you lose your Top Rated Seller status and benefits.

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 31 10:49:32 2015

I had something similar recently.  A customer ordered a new movie, received it, looked at the cover without opening it, and opened a case because the buyer suspected the video quality would be poor.  Then the buyer watched the movie, sent a message and said it looked fine and closed the case.  eBay did remove the defect, but if it weren't for the message from the user that the movie was OK I would have been punished.

I still had to take time to make the phone call and I was lucky enough that the first helper monkey I talked to was able to fix it.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 31 11:35:42 2015

The simple fact that a customer (seller) must insist, beg, plead, document, record, and call back many times to get the customer service reps at EBay to do their jobs, clearly shows the complete ineptness and corruption that is EBay.  Even if a seller does what RLS and Anonymous Annie recommend by asking the customer service rep to message the task to the seller, the customer service rep likely will not do it anyway.  And the worst part of all is that there is absolutely no recourse, no follow up, and no punishment for the reps for doing such shoddy jobs.  It will the the exact same thing the next time a seller needs assistance.  They will be filled full of lies and their problem will not be resolved in the manner that would be correct, accurate, and right.

I hope that soon the large businesses and corporations in the United States see that outsourcing customer service to other countries can ruin their entire company just like EBay.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 31 13:16:59 2015

Gesh you would have to be living in another world to not know that this will happen on a daily basis.  Why is everyone so surprised.

At Fleecebay it is just business as usual.  Pamper the buyer, screw the seller.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 31 18:19:34 2015

Somebody is actually pleased that nonsense like this exists.

"If you fall below the sales and tracking requirements for Top Rated Seller status, you may qualify for the Top Rated Seller grace period. During the Top Rated Seller grace period you retain your Top Rated Seller status and benefits. You have 2 evaluation cycles to get your transaction count, sales amount, or tracking requirements back to minimum program requirements."

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 16:28:52 2015

I think having them send an email/message is a good idea.

Most sellers will also tell you to get the "Service Request Number" also- them when a csr makes a "promise" and things are not done- call back a few days later- give the new csr the SR# and say "I will give you a minute to read the notes" then, you will have to explain less- not tell the story over and over and you will get somewhere faster.
MH
I feel bad for the op- fixing this in 10 seconds should have been a no-brainer for ebay.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 17:22:23 2015

toolguy that is just the verbiage that all top rated sellers receive if they have been good for at least 3 months they get a free ride for another month. I don't see where a defect was removed!

I had someone early in the year insult me say something was fake, swear on the reply and I got a defect. He had never even viewed the item in a store. Then he apologized and asked me to ship him the item and he would "even pay the shipping' I did do it and I asked eBay to remove the defect and they did not! they said once there is a defect it cannot be removed but in February they became kinder and gentler. I even had a case ID or whatever it is called from a rep in the Philipines but it was still there I did get a pass as top rated because of history but that does not mean that they removed it. It all worked out for me but it still is annoying in case another issue comes up like I am sick working alone, and can't ship for 2 days.

by: eBay Cares This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 1 18:23:47 2015

Hello Feebay, this is eBay. We’re sorry to hear about the above situation and experience. You can contact us at ebaycares_official@ebay.com. We want to look into this so we can help.