Tue Aug 18 2015 19:29:47

eBay Seller Finds Loophole that Could Be Costly

By: Reader

I had an odd experience this week and want to warn other sellers who may not be aware. This was brought to my attention by a nice customer who apologized for not paying the shipping on her order (I had sent her a combined invoice).  She accidently bypassed the shipping fee when she checked the Local Pickup option, which I've always offered to my customers.

She was nice enough to notify me and to send via PayPal the small shipping fee, but this made me wonder how many unscrupulous buyers have done this in the past that I was unaware of? We ship a lot of stuff and I've had several eBay listers/shippers come and go, and it's very possible that we've been losing money this way without realizing it.

When I talked with eBay using their Call Me option, they basically told me it wasn't their problem and that I should check every time we ship something to make sure the buyer actually paid the shipping.

The CS rep also said that when the buyer chooses local pickup that sellers aren't required to ship the item...he made it sound like that was the end of the seller's responsibilities. Of course I would never do that...because I know a trap when I see one. That recommended action would certainly result in a defect, a neg, and a lost customer.

Why eBay would even mention that as an option is beyond me. Yes another example of eBay pitting sellers against buyers and promoting confrontation.

So what I decided to do is to remove the Local Pickup option from all my listings, so no buyer will be able to bypass shipping and hope that I don't notice. This is just another way that eBay allows and facilitates thieves taking bread off the sellers table.

Hopefully other sellers are more savvy than I and are already aware of this vulnerability. If not, it certainly is something that every seller should be made aware of!

Best regards,
Nick

eBay Seller Finds Loophole that Could Be Costly   eBay Seller Finds Loophole that Could Be Costly

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 18 20:05:13 2015

Thanks for taking the time and energy to point this out!

I imagine you're not the first to have this issue.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Aug 18 20:23:56 2015

Nick (OP) - Why on earth would you accept PayPal for a local pick-up? You'd have no tracking number, and your buyer could say they never got the item and how could you possibly prove they did? Luckily you had an honest buyer, and I think you are wise to drop the local pick-up option.

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 18 21:15:57 2015

Where is the local pick-up preference setting? I didn't see it in my shipping options.

by: Katie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 00:44:01 2015

Are you not recording your sales?  As a cpa I don't see how you could be doing your sales reports and not notice being shorted.  Just my thoughts.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Wed Aug 19 00:47:05 2015

Of course it's your responsibility to look at the payment to see whether they selected local pick up or not.  I often miss that myself and it's my fault- no one else's. I'm not quite sure how you see it as a trap.  I think sometimes buyers that want an item shipped try to pull a fast one by selecting free local pick up, but you need to call them on it.  I typically have them pay  the shipping via paypal. If they do that, you bypass Ebay's FVF on shipping :)

by: Cloud This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 09:39:06 2015

What if the buyer really did want local pick up. If you aren't paying attention, how do you know when NOT to ship? Seems to me this is more of a seller issue and less an eBay issue. Much as I love to bash on eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Wed Aug 19 09:41:03 2015

Communication

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 11:03:48 2015

If you're going to offer Local Pickup in addition to shipping options, then of course a buyer may choose it (either accidentally or on purpose). If you don't offer Local Pickup as an option, they cannot choose it. I'm failing to see how this is a ''loophole.''

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 13:52:18 2015

Buyers have been changing invoices from the beginning. Many sellers, including myself, used to allow buyers to adjust shipping but found some setting it at zero.

MH

by: Gina E This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 18:34:54 2015

eBay will simply reinstate you into this option, you keep a close eye on that!! eBay has been adamant that ALL customers receive all the same benefits and tend to opt-in ALL sellers to these "benefits"!

by: Gina E This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 18:43:05 2015

the ''local pick up'' option has been used by many buyers in the past to scam sellers, as mentioned above.  I thought eBay removed it for this reason.  The fact that it remains is proof that eBay is making buyers scams easier......and further killing off 'little sellers' as they pursue huge retailers for all their future sales!

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 23:48:58 2015

I have always heard that if you put local pickup on your ad, it messes the item up for search.
I did 4 weeks of experiments on it over 2 years ago and it seems to really effect exposure.
As I recall the 1st week I wrote all scratch auctions and did the pickup on 50 items 10-11% str.
The next week I did 50 scratch ads and no pickup and my str was just over 20%.
The next week I wrote 50 scratch ads and did pickup and again, just over a 10% str.
Then I took those SAME items and re-wrote them from scratch AGAIN and I had over a 20% str even though they were actually scratch re-posts from the prior week.

My conclusion was that adding pickup greatly diminished me in search and I have stayed away from it ever since.

My number remain about the same- scratch ads- just over 20% str- like clockwork- it is all manipulated.
Mass Howler

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Thu Aug 20 12:31:36 2015

We used to let Ebay customers pick up their gear at our store, but no longer!
I literally will ship an item with tracking across the street, rather than risk a case being opened, or a paypal scam..
When the customer asks why?? We simply tell them that it is Ebay/Paypal policy.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 20 19:32:20 2015

Never accept Paypal on a pickup- NEVER.

Never, never never- that buyer will say it did not arrive and they will SCREW YOU SILLY- ebay will let em'.

MH
(NEVER- GET THAT CASH)

by: NullApps This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 24 03:55:47 2015

I'm pretty sure this has always been the case.  I remember some people choosing local pickup back in 2005 from me and not paying the shipping but I noticed right off the bat because the price was obviously wrong.