Mon Aug 17 2015 11:12:57

eBay's Amazon-like Initiatives Drive Seller to Try Amazon

By: Reader

Interesting morning trying to list and relist on eBay. I had 40 or so auctions to relist this morning. Half of them would not relist unless I added a shipping program (all of them did have valid shipping in the original ad).

So I clicked on the drop down and found that eBay had set up several hundred rules for me and there was no way to find the one that was already in the ad. After spending an hour trying to work through the relist issue, none are relisted. So I move over to Turbolister to do some new ads.

I have been very diligent revising my current BIN ads and all new ads with UPC numbers. Clicked on upload and all rejected for no product associated with the UPCs. Went to eBay support and says to put in NA, since does not apply will not fit! What a great way to get the UPCs in the ads!

eBay has sent me a clear message over the last six months, that they want to be like Amazon. So, after 18 years on eBay only, I have moved a third of my sales to Amazon.

As "smart" as eBay is, if they want to be like Amazon, I better start selling on Amazon. When I finish this email, I will go over to Amazon and list these items that eBay is making so difficult to list!
Steve

eBay's Amazon-like Initiatives Drive Seller to Try   eBay's Amazon-like Initiatives Drive Seller to Try

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 17 11:35:23 2015

Yes, you should try Amazon, and Rakuten, Sears, 11main, Jet and anyone else you can or have the time for.

If you have the funds, use seller cloud or similar and get your items up on EVERY platform you can.

The days of being able to rely on "your business partner eBay" are LONG GONE, never to return.

eBay is in a tough position. Since they dont sell anything, and they have divested themselves of most of the other companies they bought/absorbed (Paypal, GIS, etc) they have no clue how to revive their dying marketplace sales.

So all eBay does is blame sellers and make them more miserable. It cant ever be eBays fault for anything, and they dare not refuse to ever blame buyers - so who's left to blame?

The problem is that they have gone to this well 1 too many times. The well is empty (being they are in CA, they learned from CA's water management issues how to run a marketplace).

eBay wants to be ur unasked for parter, while still claiming they are "just a venue". It didnt work then and it doesnt work now.

best of luck!

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 17 11:58:42 2015

We have over 17000 listings on Fleecebay and not ONE OF THEM have UPC codes attached.

If Fleecebag wants the codes then they can fix all the glitches that are associated with trying to list them.

We don't have the time to play their useless games.

by: PattyR This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 17 13:12:25 2015

I was on both Amazon and Bonanza and I didn't enough sales so Amazon kick all my books off. Bonanza I had one sale in three or four months. I'm very handy at finding new venues and all I do on eBay is spin my wheel. My fault I know but I keep trying and hoping.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 17 13:43:09 2015

There is no reason to chose between venues. Just list your items on all sites in which it is cost effective to do so. You have to be organized and delete an item that sells from your inventory on the other sites, but that is a small chore in service of increased sales and less dependency on a single site.

I sell on Ebay, Amazon and Bonanza. Back in 2013 87% of my revenue came from Ebay. It is around 70% this year. If I had relied only on Ebay I would be sinking right along with them. By taking the time and effort to diversify I'm riding out the on-going collapse at Ebay. If Ebay does not make MAJOR changes in how much exposure it allots to smaller independent sellers I think at this point next year it will account for less than half my selling revenue.

Amazon is rock steady. You will always make sales there as long as you price reasonably and provide good service. Unlike Ebay all sellers on Amazon operate on a level selling field. It is very competitive, but at least you control your own success or failure over there.

I know most sellers have not had much success at Bonanza but it has worked out well for me. My booth there now accounts for more than 10% of my selling revenue. I'd encourage you to take an hour to set up an account there and give it a try.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Aug 17 14:01:31 2015

Yeah, lots of venues out there but not much in the way of sales.  It's asking a bit much of part-timers to register with and monitor a dozen eBay/Amazon clones.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Aug 17 14:47:41 2015

Every month that I'm on eCrater is better than the last.  My sales improve every month, and that only motivates me to list more. I list and I'm done. No re-listing. No shipping program. No business policies. No DSRs.  No Defects.  It's my show.  No stress. Free listing and I keep most of what I earn. "Stale" inventory sells as well as newly listed inventory.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Aug 17 15:24:32 2015

What Rexford said. Yesterday I got an order for an item I listed on eCrater four years ago. Peoples' interests and needs constantly change, and since eCrater doesn't charge for any listings, you always have the opportunity to get a sale for everything in your store. eCrater truly is "just a venue."

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 17 21:44:06 2015

What Rexford and iheartjacksparrow said.  eCrater works ideally for me, too!

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 18 13:17:16 2015

sasikat9: you might find the time if eBay starts blocking your relists.

by: koonkat This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 00:19:40 2015

Don't bother with Rakuten.  You're paying for a "nobody home" environment.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 01:15:09 2015

Between Amazon and ecrater I have as much work as I can handle. Wouldn't mind more sales, but who of us wouldn't? I couldn't handle any more venues although I do remember at one point being on about 5 venues!

Amazon does have an even playing field as does ecrater,  but that means those of us that work harder to do the best listings and photos and titles, etc. end up selling more than lazy sellers. I've checked Amazon product pages immediately after a sale and note that I had the buy box, but there had been sellers with the same item priced at one-third of what mine was, but then I also have extensive comments about what I have for sale which I truly believe gives buyers the confidence to believe that I'm selling what I say I'm selling as opposed to sellers without a single word of a comment of any type.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 02:34:54 2015

Two sales from Ecrater this year.  That's about average for me, but it's free so I keep my stuff up there.  EC could be a contender if the owners would put effort and marketing into their site.  And that would benefit the sellers.
Most of my online sales come from EB and AMZ, more from AMZ.  But I'm starting to take my sales offline and do bazaars and festivals.  Cold hard cash, no taxes.
I have plenty of inventory and it needs to move.  Online sales have reallyyyy slowed down for me compared to last year.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 09:01:57 2015

@iheartjacksparrow
It's true that eCrater is seller friendly, but I as a buyer will never buy there after reading all the negative reviews about the marketplace. It seams that most of the bad sellers, whom were evicted from eBay, have taken up residence there. But then again, a buyer is more likely to leave a negative feedback, comment, blog, etc., after having a bad experience then they would if they were totally satisfied. I still will never buy there though...no buyer protection.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 19 15:23:13 2015

I don't want any small venue out there to be an Ebay contender. They will get bought up and shut down or as in the case of Yahoo, a few gifts to the right people to get the company to shut down the market site.

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Thu Aug 20 12:27:14 2015

Tried Rakuten for a year or so, and did not see much in the way of results. Clunky site, and did not like paying the monthly fees... YMMV
We rid ourselves of Amazon a year ago, and simply made up the difference elsewhere, and on our site. Amazon, IMHO, is just as bad as Ebay with their draconian defect policy over there, and they take 15% in our category. Wasnt hard to let them go!