Sun Aug 2 2015 20:22:37

eBay Breaks Promise to Credit Seller for Return Shipping

By: Reader

Earlier in the summer I had an eBay buyer file an item not as described on an item that I felt had been described perfectly. Four eBay CSRs agreed with me, (I continually followed up on this hoping to ensure that this would not be settled in the buyer's favor) but the case was indeed closed out (apparently by a bot) in the buyer's favor.

I immediately called eBay and asked to appeal the case, and the appeal was actually done over the telephone and it was immediately ruled in my favor.

At that time, I was told by the CSR handling the appeal that even though the buyer had already shipped the item back to me, that the return shipping would be credited to my PayPal account by eBay.  Let it be noted that the buyer used a Premium service (UPS) to send the item back when the item had been shipped to him via USPS at a much lower rate.

I was going over my eBay bill for June today and I noticed that the money for the return shipping had never been credited back to my account. I called eBay once again, and had to once again be escalated to a CSR who handles appeals.

This time, a different CSR told me that eBay does not credit shipping once the item has been sent back - a completely different answer that I got from the CSR who handled the appeal, and there was nothing that she could do.

I asked to be transferred to a supervisor, and she told me that there is no supervisor, that she serves as the judge and jury. She also told me that she did not have the power to give that shipping refund. She noted that she did see the records noted that I won the appeal.

This is another example of how misinformation is doled out by CSRs and how eBay lies to sellers, and another example of how eBay does nothing to protect sellers.
Unsigned

eBay Breaks Promise to Credit Seller for Return Sh   eBay Breaks Promise to Credit Seller for Return Sh

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Sun Aug 2 20:39:06 2015

Call and call again.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Aug 2 20:56:37 2015

Do the CSR's get to work and clock in to immediately receive the pre-approved  ''official responses of the day'' to repeat over and over from caller to caller.

If you have time you can try getting a positive outcome by calling again and again.

Or go play the lottery. The odds might be better.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Aug 2 23:38:55 2015

So, what's new ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the unscrupulous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 02:21:44 2015

Totally agree with Unsigned. I had exactly the same thing done by ebay ''SS'' not  WII Schutzstaffel I mean ebeach Seller Support.

They are a total, with a capital T joke !

by: imbloated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 02:23:01 2015

Similar event happened to me. Buyer returned item claiming that it was not new  as described and returned part of it. Item had to be activated by the maker and I was able to prove that the item was brand new via a letter from the company. Ebay refused to accept the letter, I lost the case and lost item price plus return shipping! I appealed and after about 18 total hours talking to many CSRs I finally got an American who accepted my letter, apologized and promised refund, and when I asked her for an email verifying that she would refund she became insulted that I wanted proof so it wouldn't again get lost in the shuffle. She didn't seem to understand that she works for the same Ebay that all those lying nitwits before her work for . I had to reason with this lady that we should be able to prove that an item is new when we have proof. Seems like a new concept to her but she finally agreed. This was two years ago and things are much worse now.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Aug 3 06:42:40 2015

To add insult to injury, WHY is eBay allowing buyers to send items back using different or more premium services which cost more than it costs sellers to ship the item to them in the first place?

The abuse of sellers and outright thievery continues.

Moreover, it is quite clear to anyone who has spoken to customer service that while they may lead you to believe that they are taking copious case notes, there never seem to be a record of these notes when you call back and 2nd, 3rd or 4th time.

by: maribellr This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 08:25:16 2015

You need to post this on ebay's Facebook page.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 09:41:43 2015

1) ebay lies
2) ebay encourage others to lie
3) ?

4) ebay profits

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 10:20:57 2015

Multiply these tiny inoffensive cases of theft by 5,000,000 and eBay has a pretty tidy profit. This is a class of victims that could never be described for a lawsuit.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 10:55:51 2015

Really now,  is anyone surprised???????

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Aug 3 12:05:38 2015

If the seller sent the item USPS but the item was returned by UPS, Fedex...this is a sure sign of a scam buyer along with eBay being an accomplice in the crime. This could be considered mail fraud by the USPS if item returned is altered or differs from the initial package sent by the seller. Scammers including ebay know this is a federal crime and have packages returned by other carriers making sure to avoid getting caught by the USPS.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 12:16:26 2015

My case is even better.  EBay does not have any qualms about blatantly lying to their customers, especially to sellers.

I had a dirty buyer provide a shipping address to a closed business. Because the box was so large I had elected "signature confirmation".  Fed Ex tried to deliver the package 6 times. During that time the buyer filed for a refund. I looked at my queue's and noticed that the item was moved from my "paid and shipped" queue to my "awaiting payment" queue, therefore indicating that some form of refund had been given.  When I called EBay customer service I explained to them that the package was on a Fed Ex truck only a few miles away from the buyer's address and that giving a refund could mean that the buyer will receive both the item and a refund.  EBay told me that the buyer called them and raised a huge stink so they gave him a "courtesy refund."  I spent 10 minutes on the phone with EBay questioning the "courtesy refund."  I asked the EBay rep what I should do with the item if I received it back and they said that I could do whatever I wanted with it because they had given the buyer a "courtesy refund."  I specifically asked EBay if I could resell the item if I received it back and they said absolutely "yes."  At that point I no longer worried about being ripped out of $150.  BUT, eventually I did receive the item back and I did relist it and I did resell it, BUT one month later I saw that the original refund was indeed taken out of my paypal account.  When I called Paypal about it they told me that there never was any type of "courtesy refund" given to this buyer from EBay.  It was all a lie.  EBay is by far the most untrustworthy company I have ever dealt with.  I wish I would have recorded that conversation where the rep continually told me that EBay gave the "courtesy refund."  So whenever any of you hear that from an EBay rep, keep checking your Paypal account because they bank on you not following up on their lies.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 3 12:19:13 2015

Oh, I forgot to add that I contacted the original buyer, the one who EBay had told me that they had given a "courtesy refund" to, and he said that he never received any refund and that he had to fight tooth and nail to get his money back and never received his money back until over a month later when they took it out of my account.  EBay lies constantly.  You cannot believe one thing that comes out of an EBay reps mouth.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Aug 3 12:32:10 2015

eBay is proving that it is not a safe place to sell, and they seem to care less about having this reputation.

It is quite amazing that they have this attitude that the seller (their customer) is always wrong.  What other company has a relationship with their customer like this one?

eBay CSRs have absolutely no credibility and the stories that we read daily show us that they do indeed lie.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Aug 3 13:30:56 2015

I think it's time to dust off Ming's Ebay Laws first published here circa 2008:

Ming's ebay Law #1:

EBAY LIES. ALWAYS HAS, ALWAYS WILL.

Ming's ebay Law #2:

EBAY REMOVES, TRIES TO GET REMOVED, OR DISCREDITS SPEECH THEY DON'T LIKE ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET.

Ming's ebay Law #3:

EBAY RETALIATES AGAINST CRITICS USING EVERY MEANS AT THEIR DISPOSAL AND BY ANY MEANS THEY DEEM NECESSARY INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO NUMEROUS BLACK BUDGET OPERATIONS AND UNETHICAL SOCIAL ENGINEERING INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO INTERNET SEARCH ENGINE MANIPULATION.

Ming’s ebay Law #4:

WHATEVER EBAY WANTS EBAY GETS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY INCLUDING PATENT INFRINGEMENT, BRIBERY, CHARACTER ASSASSINATION, DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICES, AIDING AND ABETTING FRAUD, AND MISLEADING IF NOT UNTRUTHFUL PUBLIC STATEMENTS FOR THE PURPOSE OF INFLUENCING STOCK PRICES AND RATINGS.

Ming’s ebay Law #5:

EBAY THUMBS ITS NOSE AT THE RULE OF LAW, FTC and SEC REGULATIONS, BANKING REGULATIONS, THE SHERMAN ANTI TRUST ACT, AND THE RICO STATUTES.

Ming’s eBay Law #6:

IT’S ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY. ALWAYS. SEE LAWS 1-5.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Aug 3 17:30:22 2015

Fortunately, it’s always been easy to tell when an eBay/PayPal spokesperson is being disingenuous—their lips are moving ...

A summary of (mostly inane) quotes from the eBay executive suite ... http://bit.ly/12xvzyA

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent, the unscrupulous, and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Mon Aug 3 18:23:21 2015

It's stuff like this that made me stop listing anything of value on eBay.  I started listing only items that were worth $10 or less.  Now, I've cut that back to $5 or less.  2 years ago, my monthly fees to eBay were usually $100+.  My eBay fees last month???  27 cents.  Remove the life-support Doc... the patient named eBay is dead and ready for burial!