Mon July 27 2015 09:58:41

Buyer Opinion Trumps Photos in eBay Dispute

By: Reader

I wanted to contact you about a recent experience I had with eBay customer service as a seller. I received a communication from a customer stating that a vintage hat sold was "not as described." I communicated that the hat was as described but that I would honor my return policy and accept the item back.

The customer then proceeded to give me a low DSR for "Item not as described." I called eBay and asked them to remove it, because the flowers on the hat were photographed and clearly showed that I had listed honestly.

I was told by the CSR rep that they would have to go with the opinion since I could not prove what type of material the flowers on the hat were made of.

My question to the CSR rep was this: so eBay is accusing me of fraud and essentially calling me a liar? She agreed that this was essentially the way the policy was written. The buyer could say that the flowers were made of unicorn hair and eBay would side with them regardless. It's illogical.

This is an experience that is common to most eBay sellers. The truth does not matter in the least and eBay makes no excuses for that. So sellers beware.
Angela

Buyer Opinion Trumps Photos in eBay Dispute   Buyer Opinion Trumps Photos in eBay Dispute

by: RLS This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 11:23:21 2015

I have had success in the past calling back and getting a different rep.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 11:47:58 2015

I second that---there are huge variations of opinions and levels of competence from  these ebay reps.

I DID win on one of these when the CSR could see from my pics that the USED item I sold had some very minor wear marks=-=-normal wear--and that I SHOWED them in my close ups AND mentioned them.  Also that a portion of the item was described by the buyer as "Torn Off"  which you could quite clearly see was NOT--I had insured the item and asked for pics to prove that the item was "damaged"  and the buyer REFUSED.

It did take me a few calls to different Reps  but I managed to get it fixed--and then I got the whole "case"  tossed when the BUYER turned around and listed the SAME item using MY pics as a NEW item!

I personally think that NO Case should be allowed to be decided without the buyer first contacting the seller via Messages AND showing pics of any damages etc that they claim are "SNAD".  I had a vintage item sell recently that was then claimed to be SNAD---it was torn etc!!!---and when I got it back I could find no evidence of this.  I relisted on a different account and it sold--as it was--to some one who raved over how nice it was and how pristine it was after 60 years!  No repairs had been needed etc.  Just never can tell.

Ebay fosters this Try-On Lookie Lou method of selling-while WE pay for the whack jobs to torment us when they "find"  some area to nit pick.

On some things I have not been as lucky but you also have to weigh your time on their endless bloody phone system and your sanity to do so.

I don't know how Amazon treats their sellers who call or contact them but I have never had to wait for more than a very few minutes on either phone or Live Chat and have gotten prompt emails when I tried that method.

If ebay REALLY WANTS TO COPY AMAZON--this would be the place to START.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jul 27 12:12:29 2015

@Angela (OP) - Since it appears from your letter that the issue concerns what the flowers were made of, I'm curious as to how your listing was worded. And I hope you but that buyer on your BBL.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 15:30:27 2015

eBays Money Back Program trumps ALL other parts of the returns process.

As told to me by Owen Gray (eBay president) via a lettter to the NY State Attorney General - eBay does not care about the details of a return.

Be it fraud, theft, empty box, different item, pics and even positive feedback on the item ("works great - I love it") NONE of those override a customers "right" to return an item FOR ANY REASON THEY CHOOSE.

"Taking losses are part of business (especially on eBay LOL) and losses via the returns process is something we at eBay expect you to understand. They will happen from time to time, its to be expected."

I've done everything short of sue them myself (lack of funds!) and it will not change (at this moment - but the nutso in charge NOW says things will - but I believe it like "if you like your doctor you can keep him)".

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Mon Jul 27 16:03:46 2015

I've called over 5 times on many instances to get feedback removed.  Supposedly, they are getting better at removing feedback when sellers have  solid proof vs. a buyers opinion so keep trying.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 27 17:09:30 2015

You definitely have to work for it. Unfortunately they don't seem to take very good case notes so you have to repeat your story over and over each time you call.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jul 27 17:23:31 2015

@Rexford - I've often wondered if CSRs actually type up any kind of notes. I've also wondered if when they give you reference number, if that actually exists, or if they're trying to get you off the phone the fastest way possible.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jul 27 17:31:32 2015

The real problem is that you are expecting that the cretins that are employed as CSRs be capable of thinking about the matter at hand; they are not employed to do other than read from the script and regrettably most are barely able to do even that. Supplying the human resources to respond to every call from the “noise” detracts from eBay’s already atrophying bottom line; so, eBay has to discourage such calls by simply offering negative responses, regardless of the circumstances; so, it becomes a vicious cycle that in the end no one will win—as the waterlogged eBay gets lower and lower in the water before it inevitably must finally slip beneath the waves …

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent, the unscrupulous, and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: tkg This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 19:47:33 2015

I basically just had the same thing happen.  The picture of the item the buyer attached in the return case looked identical to my picture.  Of course the buyer was willing to keep the item with 70% off refund what they pd.  There is no common sense with Ebay.  What the buyer wants they get.

by: SparklyEyes7 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 00:43:11 2015

@tkg

That is just down right extortion.  I wonder what would happen if you call your local police dept?

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Jul 28 01:02:42 2015

The exact same thing happened to me this week, Angela. I sold a hat with tag attached and buyer felt it did not look 'new' enough. Low DSR was left and it stuck as eBay custserv said buyer opinion stands.

by: sosmarystyles This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 01:13:35 2015

Quite simply eBay has just become another word for SCAM.  I've pretty much given up selling on eBay and thrown in the towel after 15 years.  It's not worth the stress at my age.  I sell maybe 1 item a week now whereas I was selling about 10 items a week about a year ago -- things have certainly changed....

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 02:21:06 2015

Notice how ebay changes their picture policy.
They don't give us pictures, they say no proof- they give us pictures- say no, it's not enough- they take away pictures, say no proof- they then give us pictures again, and again say it's not enough.

???

Dancing around policy eternally.
MH
(The only way to win is not to play).

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 07:00:53 2015

Call back and escalate the issue to  a supervisor.  I've been transferred through 3 different departments (or people) to get something resolved.

by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 08:24:46 2015

As I say, if FleeBay would just go back to being a honest market place, but you know greed. Still every chance for the 1%'ers, job creators to squeeze another nickel out of you, they will do it! Just a little bit more, you should be happy they allow you to have anything!

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 10:14:44 2015

OP sounds like same ebay they are becoming the bottom of bottom venues, seems like devious buyers use the SNAD to get better deals, when they cannot resell item or get something worth two times its value they use this to extort sellers, what adds insult to injury is when they give you DEFECT ratings for good service sorry to hear this. sometimes it can help and get another rep, however sometimes it is a waste of time to even try. they will tell you they will remove in mid to end of month then it never gets removed, then becomes too old to be considered like most say here its not worth the grief to sell there at all

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 11:01:53 2015

By letting eBay get away with all this overreaching, we've tacitly agreed to their managing every aspect of our business. The only respite is to leave. The "venue" is fatally flawed.

by: The Grey Fox This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 19:16:26 2015

Although buyers probably should be able to return something for whatever reason they choose, including buyer's remorse, most use the Not As Described reason because that guarantees they don't have to pay return shipping. While I agree most returns should be allowed, eBay needs to hold the buyer to a higher standard when they use the NAD reason, such that they must demonstrate it is not as described or they pay return shipping. I recently sold a vintage LP to someone who liked the record but disagreed with my grading of the cover condition, something that's never happened to me before, but such grading is subjective and since he actually bought the LP for the cover, I would have had a losing case. After communicating with the buyer, I believed he was sincere and, since the LP wasn't worth the return shipping to me, I refunded his money and told him to keep the item. He immediately left glowing feedback for us, so an LP that cost me maybe 50 cents bought me great PR and very likely a repeat customer. The moral is, treat people right before and after the sale and you'll do just fine. That's what we've been doing on eBay for 18 years and it's worked very well for us.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jul 29 07:43:55 2015

iheartjacksparrow, they will lead you to believe that they do, but each time you call back it is as if notes don't exist. You'll find yourself speaking to a different CSR each time, and you have to repeat your story over, from the beginning.  I was fighting an item not as described case, and it took me five or six calls to get it resolved. The promises made by each CSR did not come to fruition, and when the case closed (likely by a bot) in the buyer's favor, I then had to appeal, and I won the appeal.  It was an exhaustive process, but I remained dogged and won.  Each time though, I had to give a recap because there were no notes to be found.  It is always a good idea to ask for a case number however. I think it at least lets them know that you will be following up.

by: wallflower This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 29 11:09:29 2015

Philip Cohen - Do you sell on ebay?