Mon July 20 2015 12:59:37

eBay Search Provides Unsatisfactory Results

By: Reader

I've avoided purchasing anything on eBay since I quit selling there over a year ago. It left such a bad taste in my mouth, that I said I'd never do any business there again. But I got desperate.

I need a specific type of cell phone and have had no luck. So where better than eBay, the place for hard-to-find items (particularly pre-owned)? I relented and did a search for "Straight Talk Flip Phone".  My ONLY parameter was US ONLY.

Guess what?  My first four (4) items were all from Hong Kong - and NONE of them were flip phones! The remainder of the page also seemed to be irrelevant to my search, so I stopped there.  I came back later and tried my search anew. Same disgusting, worthless result. I could hardly believe it.

The following day I tried the search again just for kicks, and it DID bring up relevant items from US sellers - but the Hong Kong non-flip phones were still shown at the bottom of the page (as items from international sellers, which I OBVIOUSLY chose NOT to view).

What on earth is wrong with eBay? Search is one hot mess. Cassini is either schizoid or evil.  Are they doing this on purpose to favor Hong Kong sellers, or are they just that inept at running their business?

Signed,
Done With eBay

eBay Search Provides Unsatisfactory Results   eBay Search Provides Unsatisfactory Results

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 20 15:36:14 2015

Chinese - Hong Kong = Ebays favorite sellers....They be cuddled up to each other.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jul 20 17:03:43 2015

Methinks it is most likely a combination of both devious manipulation and simple ineptitude ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 20 17:04:28 2015

PLEASE - your eveil eBay overlords know better they YOU about what YOU want to buy!

How DARE you question their obvious altruistic motives?

Really sir/maam - are you a top money guy from Bain ? DO you have LESS knowledge about ecommerce then a potted plant? Have you siphoned off MILLIONS of dollars from YOUR company all while doing nothing and gotten positive press about it?

No you havent have you.

SO until you become a thief, a liar and a common criminal with an IQ of 45 - dont you DARE complain!

(all in good fun of course)

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 20 17:29:50 2015

EBay made a huge mistake when they started messing with our search terms. I remember when it first started so many years ago. I was running my bookmarked searches. One search was for a man who was an explorer in Alaska. His name was Glave. EBay changed my search to glove. Ever since that day eBay changes my search terms to what they think I am looking for, instead of letting me search for what I am actually looking for. I have asked eBay repeatedly to give us an option to opt out from this. They NEVER listen to their customers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Jul 20 18:28:03 2015

Better get those NEW engineers up and runnin' -

per online Fortune Magazine article by Leena Rao: ''For eBay, a New Chapter Begins.''  http://fortune.com/2015/07/19/ebay-independence/

Wenig quote from article

“When I joined eBay, there was no real clarity of accountability, and no one was clear about what they were doing,” he explained. “You would get into meetings with over 100 people and no one would know what they were responsible for.”

--- No big surprise on THAT.  So.... first priority was to Revamp the Logo.  Sigh.

Regarding the new arrivals of engineering talent (after layoffs of the OLD engineering talent).  Are the new arrivals bargain basement priced engineers?  Know what they are doing?  What does this foretell.

If eBay's often-described-here problems like search cannot be fixed properly - the newly decorated headquarters mentioned in the article will have some lost souls swimming around in those massive meeting rooms that are said to resemble fish bowls.

Lobster roll, anyone?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 20 19:59:00 2015

It works great if you are looking for cheap mass manufactured Chinese crap and counterfeit merchandise.

Thanks for the article Basset. As for meeting rooms resembling fish bowls--now the 100 folks in the meetings who don't know what they are accountable for can be seen by the additional employees at eBay who do not know what they are accountable for.

Re-decorating conferences rooms and revamping logos will not solve eBay's problems.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Jul 20 20:16:31 2015

They should have just licensed Google's search engine. It would have been cheaper than all they've ''invested'' in ''developing'' Cassini... and it would have been infinitely better.

(Shout out to Marie... wherever she may be.)

This user has validated their user name. by: Ihatethebay

Tue Jul 21 00:36:41 2015

This last July 4th (American Independence Day), I declared my independence from ebay as a seller since 2012.

As soon as I read  that Devin Wenig was not going to change anything about the feedback process, I knew my time as a seller had already passed.

Last night I filled out the stupid paypal questionnaire just for fun, letting loose with both barrels.

Today I get a message on my voicemail from "Joe" from ebay apologizing for my bad experience but promising me that new and good things are coming and they hoped I would come back tot he fold.

Too little, too late, Joe. I'm done with evilbay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ihatethebay

Tue Jul 21 00:38:16 2015

Ooops! Should have read "as a seller since 2002", not "2012"

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Jul 21 01:15:18 2015

I have noticed subpar search results as well.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 01:32:05 2015

Who can find any thing now a days with all the Chinese crapola. But that's not the bad part. The bad part is pages, and pages, and pages of the exact same crapola, and ebay doesn't do any thing about it!

Is like they are in denial to the real problems...

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Jul 21 02:05:28 2015

eBay's multi million dollar boondoggle search engine has been disappointing buyers and destroying sellers since it's inception.

Only on eBay can you type in a search term and end up looking at what eBay wants you to see, not what you are looking for.

Management has been deceiving itself with regard to why eBay's marketplace fails to grow sales.

It was not the hack.

It is not foreign currency fluctuations.

It is not the demotion in Google.

It's the Can't See Me search algorithm imposed by a CEO who has never searched, bought, or sold on eBay.

If eBay is going to keep bringing in CEO's from outside the company, who do not search, buy or more importantly sell on eBay, the disasters that dominated the decade of Donahoe seem destined to be repeated.

by: Patches This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 06:05:20 2015

I did a search just Saturday for an item and only got Chinese sellers when I know there has to be US sellers of the item.  I used the search perimeter US only too and after several searches hours apart, I gave up.  It's getting worse and worse.  Why doesn't ebay just sell out to the Chinese and admit what they really are?

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 08:10:57 2015

Seller should just try "flip phone" and not name the carrier.  Or google search.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 08:56:33 2015

They should just change the colors ebay uses to the Chinese flag colors as it is their leader sellers and they are under the "umbrella"

by: leathermermaid8 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 10:32:34 2015

I've searched for things already in my watch list just to test search and couldn't find them.  No, they listings hadn't ended or been updated.  What does that tell you?  The CEO and toehr never search here.  Why would they?  they never, ever shop here.  Probably feel it's beneath them.  So ruin it for everyone else.  Gawd, I hate how they've ruined eBay.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 11:07:47 2015

The same thing happens to me with everything that I search.  In fact I even bought something only to find out that it was actually coming from China, not the USA like I had selected.  Even if the seller is located in China they have tricky ways to get their items in the "USA Only" searches and that's because EBay not only allows them to do that, they encourage them to.  EBay is Chinese-Bay and they will do anything to get people to buy their crap.  Just today my dog got very sick from eating a chew bone made in China (I had bought from a brick and mortar store).  I always try to look at the labels of the items that I give to my dog to see where it was made but this time I forgot to do that and the result was disastrous.  Without proper regulations in those countries their products could be full of contaminants, and they often are.

by: PicasoX This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 11:38:24 2015

Maybe you just need to learn how to use ebay before you trash it because your not using it right. I don't know how you were searching but  it works fine. I searched with exactly the same wording and checked the US Only box on the left side column and I got a bunch of results in a snap with zero Chinese listings. Is this what you are looking for? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Straight-Talk-LG-220C-Mobile-Cell-Phone-/33160
5565070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d353b5e8e
321525136850
391199394916
201388211439
191631209566
281693571699
381330741920

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 21 12:08:22 2015

I have had ebay Search turn up things like--TENTS--when I was looking for a --medical device. On the same search--I also came up with some items relating to==DOGS.  Really?   I will get a response that there are 10 things listed on the ENTIRE site--half of THOSE will not be what I am looking for--then when I go LOOK I might find 1000 items are actually listed.

Using the SAME Search terms I was looking for==like the OP--a very SPECIFIC brand etc--I got HUNDREDS of "discount"  devices;  ONE listing for the actual brand I needed;  but then under "Heres some similar items"  I FINALLY found the BRAND and ITEM I wanted--quite a few OF them.  I checked this using BM--ugh---Ending soonest etc.  EVERY SEARCH HAD COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RESULTS. This was easy to see as this was a very small number to sort thru.

However it is--as mentioned on another of todays topics HERE---according to EBAYS OWN CSR's--it is the SELLERS who are WRONG WRONG WRONG.  We should some how KNOW who wants to buy this stuff and some how magically GIVE the Item Numbers TO those hapless folk.

NOT the title

NOT the key words

NO the item specifics

NOT any OTHER rational Search feature.

Some how WE are to get the ITEM NUMBERS to the potential buyers--How?  Well if ebay knows ebay ain't sharing.

This is the biggest piece of unmitigated BS I have ever heard--and I have heard some BS in my time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Jul 21 15:24:39 2015

Don't feel bad Comet - Google sends me ''Snakes'' in the results when I search for Divided Plates.  Everyone's algorithms seem to be melting down.