Fri July 17 2015 10:08:46

eBay Dings Seller for Return Claim with No Notice

By: Reader

I just thought I'd bring this to your readers' attention. I went into my seller dashboard this morning to find we have a defect for item not as described/return. I thought it was an error until I contacted eBay CS and then was directed to look under My eBay and then under the returns section.

And there it was...yet we received not one single notification from eBay (no email, no direct eBay message, and nothing in the resolution center) - and it had already been opened for a full day.

This is pathetic typical eBay nonsense. If I had not been checking my dashboard that day I would have never noticed it, and I'm sure the buyer would have been less than enthusiastic with my communication. And in a few short days, eBay would have closed it out without my knowledge.

I don't know if this was a typical eBay glitch or if this is going to be something sellers are going to have to look for daily. Not to mention how fictitious the "not as described claim" is. Buyers are given free reign there.

Buyer claimed item was damaged but would gladly keep it if we gave a refund of over 50% back. This should not even be allowed. Or at a minimum if the buyer agrees to a partial refund, then sellers should not receive a defect.
Thanks,
Judy

eBay Dings Seller for Return Claim with No Notice   eBay Dings Seller for Return Claim with No Notice

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 17 10:19:44 2015

Yep, that's how it works now.

You're lucky you found out about the return at all and that it didn't just show up on your doorstep one morning.

Remember, no Ebay transaction is ever truly completed until after at least 6 months has passed.

And the window for post-sale negotiation runs the same 180 days too!

Gotta love this place!

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 17 10:58:28 2015

yes and this new part refund thing has been now allowed for 8 months, if you agree to the part refund they item is liked if not you receive defect. shame this use to be called extortion now it is permitted. op there are other venues that would love your business and love you as a seller

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jul 17 13:44:44 2015

Selling on eBay is like a game of whac-a-mole, and sellers are the mole.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Jul 17 13:46:50 2015

@Rexford - Best comment of the day!

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Fri Jul 17 15:38:03 2015

When the defects started counting that August with 12 months retroactive, a partial return for a scammer buyer remained a defect until the 12 months ended. From what I understand and experienced is a full return also is considered a defect. A seller can call CS many times for removal but it is always an uphill battle. Honest sellers don't think the same way as scammers. Scammers relate to JD & Co because they think alike.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 17 18:28:39 2015

"Buyer claimed item was damaged but would gladly keep it if we gave a refund of over 50% back"

Get the buyer to put it in an official eBay email (their system). Then call back eBay and claim extortion.

It may not stop the return, but it may atop the negative/defect

Bit is correct - that customer is like JD (and wenig) a ciminal.

by: amazedndazed This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 17 20:20:33 2015

We are not receiving notice of all cases filed. I received a notice two days later. It was erroneous & the buyer closed it out on an AS IS item, but I am now still getting other notices as if that case had not been closed out. At least I happened to see it down at the bottom after they left feedback telling me that they did not realize that they had bid on an AS IS item.

by: BB2 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 18 02:18:27 2015

I had the exact same thing happen to me this week. Had someone open a return Monday. By chance, I opened the eBay dashboard Wednesday and saw the message. No email from eBay. Nothing. I never work from the eBay dashboard, although I do check feedback every couple of days. I responded. 1/2 hour later I received notice from eBay via email.

by: chipbagel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 20 00:59:09 2015

Yes, this happened to me about 10 days ago - thank goodness I check my Messages! And can you believe I Won against the Buyer?! I wrote solid, accurate responses & then called eBay on the last day. But, nevertheless, it is a lousy, rigged system.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jul 20 01:30:17 2015

Judy, I agree. It would be helpful if there was a "resolved to my satisfaction" option with no corresponding defect.

by: action* This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 20 07:33:59 2015

How about when a customer says they don't want the item anymore?
I've had 2 of those in the last month. I still get a deficit because if there is any issue with the transaction it is considered a defective transaction.
All BS if you ask me. Then to top it off there is no option for a partial refund. In my cases I have a 20% re-stocking fee on all my listings on all returns (unless there is an issue that is our fault. In turn the return never gets closed out because I have to go to pay pal and do the refund that way and still get charged for the full FVF...
The whole system is just to complicated and was not thought through at all before putting it into action.

by: Automan This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 20 09:04:57 2015

I have to laugh when I see sellers act as if the EBay system is always stacked in the buyer's favor! In the fifteen years I have bought and sold on EBay, I had one scam buyer and dozens of scamming sellers all supported by EBay.
If you think EBay is too buyer friendly, try selling on Amazon.
My only negative feedback was from a seller who didn't like the neutral I left him for an item that he wouldn't acknowledge was way different than described. This was back in the seller feedback extortion days.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 20 11:11:01 2015

I never look at that Dashboard thing! It's a time waster and I can never remember where it is. Can we please stop the CRAP and just run out stores????

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 20 11:26:29 2015

Aaaaand---Then there is the bogus and highly irritating WE FIXED YOUR ACCOUNT!!!!!

Happy happy crap---

No;  ebay has never in the history of the world "Fixed"  any sort of "defect"  in an account that you can SEE--oh we HEAR a lot about it but when ever I get these I go and look and NOTHING is changed;  or at the least nothing that I can SEE is changed.  If they were to be--gasp!--HONEST they would tell you straight up WHAT they "fixed" and WHY they fixed it and SHOW this as a standing item in your Dash.

I too tho have had  DEFECTS for things that were either NOT my fault or were RESOLVED and yet--there they were;  one showed up- MONTHS later and tho I spent HOURS on the phone over something like 6 calls and was told over and over that this should NOT have ever been ABLE to BE a DEFECT--there it was and there it would stand for ever and ever amen.

POS company that should be under Fed investigation and yet----