Tue July 14 2015 08:16:22

Is eBay UK Demoting Fixed-Price Listings in Search?

By: Reader

I just thought I should let you know of a serious state of affairs on Ebay.co.uk as of 13/July/2015. On doing some research in my categories, I have noticed that Buy it Now listings seem to be demoted.

Previously, when searching used clothing categories, there was always a good mix of Auctions and Buy It Now's (35 - 45% of listings in the top 100 were BIN'S).

Now, just search Shirts/used and not 1 BIN (not counting auctions with a BIN) in the 1st 100 listings (apart from the Promoted's at bottom of pages). Out of 79,000 listings, 41,000 are BIN but none in 1st hundred!

I know auctions ending soonest are always at the forefront, but there always used to be a good mix of both - my business depends on it.

Search Hugo Boss shirt in Used Clothing 3,400 listings, 2,100 BIN: Only 3 BIN at position 90 - 100.

Search River Island jeans Used Clothing - 5,570 listings: 3,160 BIN - NOT 1 BIN IN TOP 100!!

No wonder I have not had a single sale in 24 hours - This is catastrophic!

Is this another eBay experiment? I would love to know if this is happening across the board with used listings and also over in USA?
Thanks,
Lynda

Is eBay UK Demoting Fixed-Price Listings in Search   Is eBay UK Demoting Fixed-Price Listings in Search

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jul 14 09:08:32 2015

OP says "Is this another eBay experiment?"

Our sales completely tanked right before the end of May 2015. Something happened that is unprecedented.  Based on what I read, I don't think this company knows whether it is going or coming. One day they want auctions. Another day they want fixed price.  One day they want to go back to their roots, another day they want enterprise.

Good luck figuring it out. While eBay themselves are trying to figure out what they wish to do we continue to build elsewhere.

OP uses the word catastrophic.  That pretty much sums up JD's thumbprint on eBay.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 09:10:47 2015

OP there is utter chaos here in the states as well, no sales, seems like freebay is doomed all items used and do not have upc codes do not show it is a shame that freebay has policies set to place itself out of business except for a "few selected sellers"

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Jul 14 09:58:46 2015

OP, I sell used clothing and have had an uptick in sales.  Mine are mostly fixed price with a few auctions now and then. My fixed price items are selling.

I have lower inventory amounts than in the past due to unreliable visibility.  Recently many newly added items are selling right after I list so I'm not making headway in increasing inventory - but that is a good thing if things are selling.

On BUYING end -  I do notice what OP is referring to in my search results for buying. Most items I pick to watch are used and auction format.

I sit around for a week waiting to bid on something I want.  Popular brands, but maybe only 1 other bidder or else I am the only bidder and get a bargain. If not filtered out of my search I see most New items are fixed price - I'm not sure if they are being hidden because I DO see them, but I'm just not as likely to click on a new item or stock photo item.

So - inconsistent - with used, fixed price items selling for me while the same category used items I'm watching as a buyer are mostly in auction format.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jul 14 11:29:00 2015

Basset, I'm glad that your sales are doing well.  I'm curious about something, if you are willing to share the information.  Have you had any cases open against you in the last few months, and have you challenged any of them?  We challenged three 'item not as described' forced returns, and while eBay sided with us in each case, I wonder if behind the scenes they are penalizing us for challenging the returns. eBay are not known for transparency.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Jul 14 12:04:46 2015

@Rexford

I've had a couple normal ''fit'' returns - no ''cases'' involved.

I did have an INAD - but buyer was also a small seller, included a photo, and nothing in FB indicated she was a scammer.  I accepted that I missed an issue as occasionally happens and she sent a very nice email after refund.

I am assuming I got a defect but I honestly don't pay much attention to that screen.

But no, I have not fought any claims.

Suppose I DO increase my inventory - past experience shows sales are just as likely to fall off again.  As it stands,  many sellers that remain are hesitant to grow inventory past a certain comfort level because sales run so hot and cold.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jul 14 12:32:22 2015

Thank you Basset. I just spoke to a very nice eBay CSR, and he assured me that the cases did not hurt me in anyway, particularly since eBay sided with me.  He actually told me my metrics look better than most whom he speaks with on a daily basis.  Surprisingly, he also told me that he has had many calls recently regarding slow sales.

I do agree with you, sales run hot and cold, but I'm in Siberia right now.  I've never seen it this bad. If many other sellers are experiencing this I would guess that there will continue to be a mass exodus away from eBay. No one will throw good money after bad.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jul 14 12:59:29 2015

Oh, and Basset, I received an order within 10 minutes after speaking to the CSR. Coincidence?  One wonders.  :)

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Jul 14 13:58:08 2015

Good luck!

May the bright light of VISIBILITY shine on us all!!!

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 16:06:20 2015

@Basset

"May the bright light of VISIBILITY shine on us all!!! "

better chance seeing Elvis in a UFO

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jul 14 20:30:46 2015

Basset says "May the bright light of VISIBILITY shine on us all!!!"

What a shame that the leaders at eBay just don't get that when all sellers were making money eBay made money. Level playing field = healthy ecommerce ecosystem.

by: AuctionMonkey This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 11:45:25 2015

Who KNOWS what is going on any more? Our lowest month last month... It's atrocious.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 14:18:13 2015

I have five seperate accounts on ebay three of them pretty new after the demotion from 50/50 FREE to 20/20.  On one established account--all sell similar items BTW--I have had ZERO sales for the past THREE MONTHS.  I have had extremely scattered sales--no matter WHAT the format--on the other accounts;  maybe one per WEEK;  seemingly in "zones"  that my listings might be shown to;  one designer item at a VERY attractive price has been listed for over a month with almost 200 VIEWS and--one watcher!--and of course--it has NOT sold!

I have things listed as auctions with BIN;  Fixed Price--nothing seems to be making a difference.  I sell new and used higher end clothing and sportswear;  new motorcycle parts;  vintage clothing and hard goods--nothing is MOVING.

When I go and search for things--either in my "categories"  or for things I need/want---I see bizarre results--for one search of a medical related item I got--"Camping"  items--and NOT first aid kits!--and something for--dogs.  Non medical.  A few other searches have told me there are NO items with the same search terms--however if you go and dig thru the "Similars"  (which are generally hystericaly NOT related)  you will find the EXACT terms you used--buried sometimes but often in the first 10 or so---but NOT where they SHOULD be--

Esp for a NEW buyer if you see that ebay--EBAY!!!!--claims they only have ONE listing for the item you are looking FOR--and the bottom of the page (IF they can even SEE the page!!!)  shows "Similar"--but is NOT showing what YOU want--would YOU keep going?

I know how to work a SEARCH---I FIND things eventually==but--=if I CAN'T break thru the lock outs--HOW is any one ELSE going to?

I feel the OP's pain tho as we sell similar items---

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 16 15:32:03 2015

@comet. I see and experience exactly what you are saying.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Jul 16 15:54:19 2015

Imagine my surprise yesterday when I searched for divided dinner plates hit Google images and got snakes interspersed with dinner plates.  More than one hit. Snakes.

Today, I search Google for wind chimes and I get Biometric Charts and Graphs - with a few wind chimes scattered in.

Maybe Google ate some bad fish.

by: wellspring This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 17 13:48:45 2015

This is happening in the U.S. too, I just did a similar search a few days ago and the default of best match for women's clothing was pages and pages of ''auction'' only items. The only BIN were listings with color or size options. And many were China listings.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ihatethebay

Fri Jul 17 15:51:30 2015

Since the OP is an Englishman and we here in America just celebrated our Independence from England; this letter declaring my independence from ebay is doubly appropriate. Enjoy!

Mr. Devin Wenig                                           10 July, 2015
CEO, eBay, inc.

Dear Mr. Wenig,
This last Saturday, July 4th, American Independence Day, I declared my independence from the tyranny of ebay, or as I have called it since 2008, “evilbay/greedbay/feebay/oyvay/sleazebay”, et al.
I’m sure I don’t need to detail the reasons for closing my store and with it, all 900+ listings. You’ve heard them all before and no doubt your predecessor, John Donahoe has heard them too. On the other hand, didn’t JD once refer to seller’s complaints as “background noise”??
Just some of the reasons that I’m leaving ebay as a seller:
· micro-management of my listings
· having my customer’s shipping fee going from my account to your pocket
· watching the feedback process transformed into something straight out of Lewis Carroll’s imagination
· continually witnessing ebay side with the stupid and/or unethical buyers
· continually catching “Customer Service Representatives” give me conflicting stories about what the rules are and why they do not support me as a seller in order to “enhance the buying experience”, according to the script that they read from
· seeing ebay emplace more and more impediments to a smooth selling process by complicating the website with bells & whistles that I don’t want or need
· ending my listings because some bozo in a cubicle in San Jose thinks he knows the ITAR regulations better than I do; preventing me from listing an innocuous & obsolete surplus military item
· screwing up the internal search function by ditching Google and going with your incompetent in-house search engine “Cassini”; though it’s more like “Asinine-y”
· hiding my listing’s Item Descriptions
· openly favoring sellers who sell thousands of Chinese Communist widgets instead of small sellers like me selling vintage items, incidentally the way that ebay got started and made it’s first billions of dollars.
I know that you personally won’t be reading this; one of your flunkies in the basement will be skimming it and then filing it in the proverbial round-file. Nonetheless, it is a letter I’ve wanted to write since 2008, when John Donahoe took over and killed the goose that laid golden eggs.
Recently you took over the reigns and millions of us sellers waited to hear whether you might be reversing some of the bone-headed decisions of John Dontwannaknow, but alas, as the famous rock group The Who belted out in 1971: “Meet the new boss; same as the old boss”.

Sincerely,