Mon July 13 2015 13:41:01

eBay Buyer Victim of Delivery Tracking SNAFU

By: Reader

In the past few weeks I purchase a pair of earrings on eBay for over $49.00. Tracking information says that mail person could not deliver because there was no one to receive package. (Very strange since I live in doorman building.)

Postal services says they left notice (they did not leave notice).

Went to post office with tracking information and they could not find package.

Reported item to eBay as not received and they ruled against me because they said was delivered. Tracking information now shows that package is on way back to seller.

I paid for the item and now the seller will get the package back and I am out my money. Any suggestions on what to do?
Beverly

eBay Buyer Victim of Delivery Tracking SNAFU   eBay Buyer Victim of Delivery Tracking SNAFU

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 13 14:29:57 2015

Contact the seller and inform them of what has happened, and ask them to refund the money or to re-ship the package when they receive it back, most good sellers will refund or re-ship they should also verify the address was correct, before re-shipping the item,

mistakes happen, and these are common issues, easily resolved

If you do not get a response or a refund from the seller, or the package is re-shipped and is not received the second time, contact the seller for a refund, if they refuse file a claim / chargeback with Paypal or your credit card company

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 13 15:18:07 2015

How could eBay say package was delivered when tracking states it is on it's way back to the seller?

If I were the seller of this item, I would definitely help you.  Of course if tracking stated that the item was indeed delivered, and not on its way back, I likely would not.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 13 16:38:09 2015

Why would you contact ebay and file a not-received claim BEFORE contacting the seller for assistance.  This is the type of damage inflicted by buyers via ebay's automated extermination programs.  If I'm the seller and I get some type of defect from this (when you could have simply contacted the seller first), no help from me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Jul 14 00:08:10 2015

Like the pressure on sellers, I think pressure on USPS delivery people causes problems:

Awhile back:  4 items show ''out for delivery'', USPS delivery person HANDS me 3 packages. I don't say anything because she fills my mailbox with smaller stuff and junk mail on a later second trip and frequently a package ends up in box then.

Later on, no package in box and missing ''out for delivery'' item still says same on tracking.  Figure inexpensive item will show up next day, so decide to wait to call.

That evening, scan says: ''Notice Left (No Secure Location Available)''

Really BAD choice for a scan code since I was there entire time, said hello on the first round of packages, and no notice or insecure location EVER involved.

As the OP demonstrates - this particular scan does not acknowledge USPS failure to deliver the package, and leaves the recipient on the hook in event of insurance (or eBay/any sales venue) claim if the package never shows up.

This package DID show up the next day, but it is WRONG to use that scan code for a package USPS did NOT deliver due to some error on their part.

AGAIN - Same happens again only I called USPS to tell them I object to any scan that was false and would make an insurance claim difficult in case the package was really lost.  The person understood the point and this undelivered item still says ''out for delivery'' which I prefer.  It will likely show up but if not, it is much clearer in event of a claim.

My understanding from the phone conversation was that it is ''not an option'' for USPS delivery persons to leave any code that in effect admits to an error on USPS part as to why delivery did not take place.

BAD policy - because of the all-fired rush of shipping delivery, human errors WILL be made.  USPS scans need to allow for those errors so that the workers don't feel pressured to input a code that is simply false and causes trouble for the addressee.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 01:09:53 2015

I still remember sitting on my couch looking out the front door window as a new PO guy delivered my mail. As soon as he bounced down the steps, about 2 seconds after arriving, I went out and got my mail. Included was a 'sorry we missed you' notice and a note for when I could pick up my registered mail. He hadn't even knocked on the door and the time he was at the mailbox wasn't sufficiently long enough to have filled out the card. So I took myself off to the PO and complained to my regular ex-Marine clerk who got mad himself (Marines are taught to follow instructions and expect others to do the same!). Never got this important legal mail until the next day, but then I never saw that mailman again! When someone fouls up like that, obviously with no intention of even bringing the mail to our house and lying about it, he deserves to be fired if that is what happened to him. One of the reasons that I stay on good terms with my PO people.

by: Bobobuoy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 01:15:40 2015

As a Seller I also would prefer to have customers contact us before filing a complaint online; we will always try to help them with the issue and give true status. I guess too many have no clue how automated and uncaring most of the marketplaces and carriers really are, in regards to service and handling problems.  To the OP: you have a lot of possible options to get satisfaction without getting screwed out of your money, use them.  Then post your results back here and let us know how it turned out.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 01:49:30 2015

Why does ebay NOT insist that the BUYER contact the SELLER first before they get ebay involved in ANY sort of dispute?

Well we all know that ebay and PP profit off of this stuff.

But for THIS OP---you NEED to CONTACT the seller;  you can REQUEST their phone number using ebays "Contact Info Request Form"--just have the item number on hand before you fill it out.  I have found CALLING both sellers and buyers clears MOST issues up;  most are very happy to have you contact them this way TO clear up stuff.

If for some odd reason you can't call--and why NOT;  if you were willing to spend HOURS on the phone with non-English speaking clerks at Ebay?  Well in THAT case then use the ebay MESSAGES system right on your PURCHASE HISTORY page ::: on the right hand side of the page there will be a DROP DOWN and that is how YOU send a Message to the Seller;  this is CRITICAL if you need to contact ebay again on this.

You can ALSO go to the USPS Web Site and FILE a report on this that will kick it upstairs to be looked into;  and CALL YOUR POST OFFICE about this;  they are responsible for YOUR mail.  You can also CALL your Regional Post Office and complain to the Post Master.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jul 14 03:09:12 2015

@Basset,

Next you will be suggesting that eBay admit to the errors that it makes—LOL ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 04:45:53 2015

Where is Ken Matsura?
Remember his "promise".
LOL!
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Jul 14 09:21:08 2015

On contacting seller - looking from a buyer standpoint:

Buyer chooses ''contact seller'' as you say you want them to do.  Their ''reason'' choices include: ''I haven't received my item''.

If inquiring about shipment delay - it sure seems a logical choice to click.  That is what I would choose if an item were missing and I wanted to contact seller.

THEN, once chosen - on the buyers end it shows they made a ''request'' of the seller after they send what looks like a message.  Sounds reasonable.

On the seller's end it looks like a ''case'' is open and causes stress and, in some cases, anger at buyer for ''not'' contacting seller.  While that is exactly what the buyer thought they were doing!

By design or flaw - it is confusing and, as we see here, pits sellers against buyers once again. IS a ''request'' same as a ''case''?

Maybe ''contact seller'' should be consistent in where it leads. If that is chosen by a buyer in a transaction, the seller's contact info pops up. No choices, just contact info. Period.

@Phil - Wouldn't it be nice if that level of honesty was valued in society!

Lots of nice hardworking USPS people that, like eBay sellers, are not allowed to make ANY mistake without a zzztt... from the electric bug zapper.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 09:39:32 2015

I think tracking in this case says" delivery attempted" then was returned to the seller, however I have had almost exactly same thing happen in the past. not saying buyer is dishonest or that the delivery agent is to blame however the hostel environment that freebay places in place it leaves everyone against each other seller thinks it is buyer , buyer thinks it is the seller, both blame carrier however the seller will receive a DEFECT because of it no matter what and the seller will be upset withy buyer more than likely block them, and this is all because of ebay interjecting itself and micro managing its venue so much this is why so many sellers are leaving the venue, like one says you cannot fix stupid

by: edneff This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 09:56:16 2015

also when USPS returns something to the seller it can literally take over a month for it to return. same if a package is forwarded to another address

by: Bethofvt This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 10:12:20 2015

Ebay makes it nearly impossible to  contact a seller.  when you try to do that through Ebay messages, it asks you to state why you are contacting the seller and in 9 out of 10 cases, you will open a case without meaning to.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 12:23:32 2015

Paypal will handle this. Once the tracking shows that the seller received the package back, call Paypal and they will refund your money. This happened with a package that I sent that had "signature confirmation." The buyer's address was for a closed business and Fed Ex tried to deliver 6 times before returning to me. Once the tracking showed that the item was delivered back to me the buyer got a refund from Paypal.
On a side note, you should have maybe checked with your "doorman".

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 12:28:36 2015

I agree with Scotty.

by: Gina E This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 13:27:08 2015

WOW!  eBay is now screwing the buyers?!  It seems that they are in a serious need to never take the blame for anything as it is usually the seller who gets the shaft!
I'd file through PayPal, THEY always take the buyer's side!

by: Gina E This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 13:27:11 2015

I'd file through PayPal, THEY always take the buyer's side!

by: beverly This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 14:13:58 2015

sOME ONE SAID i SHOULD HAVE CHECKED WITH DOORMAN..of course I checked with doorman..all packages and notices are left with doorman and signed into a package book. then put in a locked package room.

paypal will not refund money once ebay had ruled.check with them

I am out my money and that what I have to accept.

by: tmooreseller This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 14:51:01 2015

I think it's time for you to contact the FTC and lodge a complaint against both eBay and PP. The right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

by: beverly This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 14 18:05:01 2015