Wed July 8 2015 12:53:29

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

By: Reader

Most likely you have received many messages about this but I did not see it covered on your site, and it is something new to me. I am on eBay for 10 years.

It is about returns. You can redact this and maybe find more information. This is the email I received from eBay 4 days ago:

Dear -,
We're writing to let you know that one of your buyers has requested a return on an item you sold. Please visit your Returns Dashboard as soon as possible to resolve this issue.

It's important to reach a solution with your buyer in the next 2 business days. To ensure the quickest resolution and the best experience for your buyer, we recommend accepting the return.

Of course, if you feel that there may be an error, you can always ask eBay to step in and help. If you've already resolved this issue, thank you for your prompt action.
Sincerely,
eBay

It does not say which buyer and what item. Returns dashboard showed zero return request. When I called they said it was a glitch and there is nothing to worry about.

Next day I had a hold in PayPal for one transaction and the return request was showing in the returns dashboard.

Today I received exactly the same email. No actual information and when I called they could not see anything and said not to worry. Most likely tomorrow I will have another hold in PayPal and something to worry about...

They want us to communicate very clearly with our (theirs) buyers. This is another example how they communicate with us and of their NOT WORKING systems.

Thank you for reading my rant but this is becoming ridiculous,
E.

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 8 13:12:28 2015

Fleecebag is practicing the clear as mud information.

Get these useless notifications all the time. They are just that useless.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jul 8 13:30:50 2015

I got my 1st return in 2 years last week.

Customer said item doesn't fit or wrong size for the reason.

I accepted the return.

I was wondering who was paying the return shipping.

The package came back with a label provided by eBay that said: NO POSTAGE REQUIRED

I haven't seen anything in my Paypal or eBay invoices as who paid for the return shipping!

Did, eBay, USPS or I pay for the return shipping?

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 8 13:59:31 2015

@toolguy
you are paying for the return postage, Freebay will bill you this generally takes a month or so, the no postage required is intended for your "buyer" however in this case "approval potential buyer" however rest assure you will receive a bill from freebay

do as I do and not as I say is old problem with freebay one rep does not know what policy the other rep is using and henceforth they do not care their shoppers have a new logo

I got it on Freebay!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jul 8 14:16:40 2015

The buyer didn't mark "Not as Described"

I'm thinking eBay's going to foot the shipping bill.

If they charge me I know I can get them to revise it so eBay picks up the bill.

eBay has never refused a refund when I ask for it.

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 8 14:38:41 2015

I was attempting to appeal a defect from 3 months ago and ebay said- SORRY- we cannot change defects after 120 days- HOW is this going to work with 6 month returns????????
MH

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 8 15:03:04 2015

Consider yourself lucky! Two buyers--one with zero feedback initiated returns of $1500 worth of 2 items. Pay Pal locked my funds, so I couldn't pay current sellers. It took 4 days to get cash transferred in to Pay Pal. They came in a day apart and eBay never so much as hinted of any return activity. Neither bothered to contact me. Both claimed ''counterfeit goods'' (!)--what a stressful week THAT was. Never DID hear from eBay except to say one was decided in the buyer's favor. EEEEEKK!!! THAT means NOw a case had been opened. I had TWO flush bank accounts tied to Pay Pal and TWO good credit cards... but noooooo. I was cut off from buying (paying my sellers) for 4 days. Stupid stupid policies.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Wed Jul 8 15:07:18 2015

If the buyer chose ''Did not fit / did not want'' choice as reason for return to a seller who accepts returns -

ebay would have sent buyer the choice of receiving a label provided by eBay for a pre-disclosed amount - OR - buyer can provide own postage with a space on the return thread to provide tracking number for the seller & eBay.

once the eBay provided label is printed and scanned at USPS (or wherever), eBay's system knows buyer has used the label and then reconciles cost of label with buyer account. Buyer pays for the label.

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Jul 8 15:24:02 2015

@ toolguy

You will be happy to know that YOU paid for the return shipping.

eBay will add the cost of return shipping to your eBay invoice.

eBay's reason for doing it this way is so that by invoicing you for the cost of the label, eBay can count that postage as revenue.

By the way, do not be surprised if the amount you are bill exceeds your original cost to ship the item to the buyer.

If it does, have fun with eBay customer service when you call to try and recover the difference.

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jul 8 15:29:29 2015

Ric says "@ toolguy

You will be happy to know that YOU paid for the return shipping."

FOTFL..........and tools are heavy.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jul 8 15:34:45 2015

I shipped the item small flat rate. It came back in the same box. If eBay charges me I won't lose any sleep over it. At most it cost is $7-$8 if done by weight. This would be the 1st item I had to pay return shipping on in 15 years selling on eBay. eBay has given me over a $million dollars in sales over the years. I think I can pick up the tab on this one! ~ LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jul 8 15:45:21 2015

I just went over my eBay invoice for the last 30 days.

They gave me my $2 FVF fee back but I see no charge for the return shipping.

Now if they charged my paypal account it would be harder to find since all postage is marked the same on paypal (I hate that)

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 8 18:44:20 2015

This is happening to many others, my family is stating they have had several of these but only one request which came in the next day????

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 8 20:24:43 2015

"But be assured I'll look all over my eBay & Paypal invoices to see if I got charged. . ."

You say you won't lose any sleep yet you plan on looking out for the return amount. So which is it? Is it worth your time to look for it or not? And then add all the posts that you have read and the post you have typed and you can easily see all the time that you'll never get back from reading and posting and the reading and posting some more. All this time wasted reading and posting instead of listing. Reading and posting, reading and posting.....oh, I have to go--just some multiple orders on my website. I can't waste anymo

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 8 23:15:26 2015

"Of course, if you feel that there may be an error, you can always ask eBay to step in" ....

LMAO , and that will accomplish WHAT exactly? NOTHING.

Welcome my friend to the NEW and improved (from eBays side) revenue generating idea!

That idea is STEAL from sellers via a made up returns process.

Like everything ELSE on eBay, its a con or a game. The winner is ALWAYS eBay since they make money on the label as does Paypal.

Its in their best interest to create a returns nightmare, and encourage returns (profit) in general, so they really dont care if you have the right information, you are right or wrong in the issue to start off with, or really - anything at all.

Owen Gray - President of eBay "We typically do not protect sellers against what we refer to as a faulty return. We consider them as a cost of doing business. We consider all sellers to be a business and one of our goals os to allow our sellers large or small to function as one. As well as the potential for profit, all business models have some sort of loss built in; it's important when selling on eBay to understand that possibility.

----> We are a thirty party VENUE bringing together buyers and sellers together online. We do not see the items when shipped, while in transit nor when they are received or possibly returned. We have to go off the information provided within eBay. If a buyer returns an item, either at the sellers or eBay's request, then they need to receive a full refund upon the return of that item."

Tha t tangled web of lies is why you dont get the information you need(ed) and it is why eBay is considered to be KNOWN LIARS.

While claiming they are a simple venue, they still though claim the ability to create a Money Back Policy that costs YOU the seller money. Not the liar buyer, not eBay - just you.

Losses are great for sellers, just not for eBay. All the better when eBay just happens to make money on those returns.

eBays view of selling online, of life in general is as warped as the tiny brain of Wenig, Donohue and this SUPER CLOWN Grey.

Most normal human beings try to MINIMIZE risk and loss, we dont WELCOME it.

In the case of returns, most of us already had a perfectly good returns policy, we didnt need eBay to create a new one that super cedes ours.

If you are sich you obtian health care so that you can get well. When you drive you have Auto insurance, when you ship you get 3rd party insurance in case of loss.

Thats how life goes - you pay to MINIMIZE risk and loss (ie AFLAC) - you dont welcome it and say "its part of business".

What SANE business does that? Yes losses happen - I'll take one too - if *I* caused it, not one of eBays liar buyers.

I got this infor from a letter from the NY State Att generals office, and I sent back a FIREY 2 page reply - lets see GREY dance to my NEW tune!

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 01:05:19 2015

having just gone through this, if you get a not as described return ebay gives the seller 2 options, you can have ebay send a prepaid label and they tell you right there how much you will be billed.  or you can have them send the buyer an unpaid label.

on mine ebay wanted to charge me $16.80 for an item that cost me $2.50 to ship, so i had them send the unpaid one and then reimbursed the buyer for his costs which were the same as when i sent it.

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 04:44:34 2015

Form me the bill for return shipping label came in on the second month invoice past the return date. I guess Ebay waits for any problems to be resolved before they charge.

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 08:16:02 2015

@toolguy -- I think the buyer pays for the fixed price shipping for the label for the return of the item IF they chose "does not fit". You may luck out with this. Unfortunately, for people who do get a lot of returns, mostly not due to anything that is their fault, buyers know all they have to do is indicate there is something wrong with the item and it's virtually impossible to contest these with Ebay and the seller will pay the shipping. Plus, Ebay will charge a flat rate, i.e. $11 for the first pound, etc. and is nothing based on the actual shipping cost.

You are always saying how much money you make, i.e. above you say over $1M. My friend sells tools and he pays a lot for his tools and shipping is expensive too (as you've mentioned previously also) so his margin is very low. It's easy for him to sell these products because he just leaves the ad in forever BUT he only makes about 10% on each item due to the high cost for the item that he buys new. So, if you had sales of over $1M, that says nothing -- you may only have made $100,000 in all your years on Ebay.

As much as you say you're doing so well on Ebay, the big winner here is EBAY!

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Jul 9 09:00:55 2015

the BUYER has paid for shipping.

Toolguy indicated return reason was ''does not fit''

If that is correct, buyer has paid for return shipping label and Toolguy should have refunded original price paid LESS shipping (unless it was a ''free'' shipping item).

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 09:06:04 2015

Well, besides the typical WTF Factor of having no info on SDB backing up the message, there's the somewhat implied message: Eat the return; you don't really have a choice although we CLAIM you're protected against scum that opens phony SNAD's!"

Well, you aren't. Recently I had a return request for a USED item that the buyer found out, upon receipt, was, well, USED! Naturally this upset his delicate sensibilities; getting a USED item for 1/3rd price of NEW simply would NOT do! So, he bypasses eBay and files SNAD directly w/ PayPig. I contest claim, and actually CALL a PayPig Customer [non-]Service Rep. A nerve-wracking 96 hours later someone at PayPig miraculously concludes that when you buy "USED" it may in fact have "cosmetic" issues - exactly as the drop-down box for USED spells out.

Now, the crybaby/whiner/scammer doesn't get a free item so - you guessed it! - he drops Red Donut on me. I was NOT "protected" against that.

eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do   eBay - Do as I Say, Not as I Do

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 9 09:13:49 2015

@pace306

The Two-Headed Monster [eBay/PayPig] turns the "insurance" model on its head: you PAY a fee, and in return, you GET risk! Yep, take cash at zero fee; no risk. Take PayPig, PAY 3% of gross, and have RISK dumped in your lap.

Yep, it's pretty sick.