Wed July 1 2015 15:49:42

eCrater Gets Higher Google Search Placement than eBay

By: Reader

A few days ago, I mentioned that I was at the Ebayclassifieds.com site (owned by EB) and they now have a "pay extra to be at the top of the list" for $4.99, one time.

Seems that eBay is trying that with its sellers. I happened upon this message in the community:

Got a call from an eBay salesman today. Inviting me to check out their new Pay-to-Get-Viewed scheme. I can now pay extra to have my items advertised. But wait. I thought that's what I was paying for to begin with??? This has got to be the most desperate company on the Internet today.

After reading another forum, I did an experiment and went to search for my listing(s) in Google Search using eBay in the keywords. The first page that appeared showed my listings in Ecrater.com, another site I'm on. I couldn't believe it, I was amazed that Ecrater and not eBay showed up in the search. First page.

This shows how broken eBay is.
L.

eCrater Gets Higher Google Search Placement than e   eCrater Gets Higher Google Search Placement than e

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Wed Jul 1 18:34:23 2015

You should have paid the $4.99. Then your eBay listing would have been on top.

QED

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 1 19:10:13 2015

eCrater has been working closely with Google for a long time on getting the best placement for their listings. They have been coaching the sellers for a long time to get their listings written correctly and with all the necessary Google attributes in place. They also have an administration page view for sellers, where they can see how many of their listings have been accepted or rejected by Google, so the sellers can correct any problems with Google.

This is a straight arrow site which tries very hard to help their sellers do the best they can. They know that if sellers do well, so will eCrater.

eCrater has also recently set up a search engine advertising level, where the sellers can decide if they wish to pay a little more to get better placement with Google.

These are all very positive things, and you really should give it a try.

Not everybody is trying to screw sellers over.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Jul 1 19:28:29 2015

Ah, come on guys, obviously, with eBay’s own projected forward growth rate of a pathetic 0–5%, eBay desperately needs any revenue that they can steal from consumers; with their post-“PreyPal” split share price being estimated by Bloomberg at $22, they have to try to do something to plug the revenue leaking holes that the cretinous Johnny Ho has punched in the rusting old scow—not that it will now make any difference, too much damage has already been done.

Well done, Johnny Ho. Is it any wonder that this cretin is removing himself to “PreyPal”?

And, what was Amazon’s share price today? $440. …

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jul 1 19:46:06 2015

@Philip Cohen - Just read that PayPal is acquiring money transmitter XOOM.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 1 20:14:46 2015

:) Mr Sparrow .... true they are - but whats the REAL truth.

Oh yeh - lets here it from XOOM themselves about why they PREVIOUSLY banned the use of Paypal with their services.

"Why Xoom Ended The Use of PayPal as a Payment for Money Transfers"

"First, our customers had too many bad experiences with unprofessional or, in some cases, fraudulent merchants. We’ve decided to stop supporting PayPal to protect the interests of these customers"

LMAO - Paypal customers with high rates of FRAUD - you dont say!?

I guess theres some magic in the air today as the shoe is now on the other foot (so to speak).

Xoom excels in international money transmitting .... a place where no one "really knows the fees" and they can rip off MORE people ..... thats all it says to me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Jul 1 20:43:27 2015

Wenig hasn't even officially taken over from The Ho yet, but he's already neck deep in anti seller policies.

His pants are not only on fire, they're scorching him.

Wenig could be turn out to be more hated than The Ho.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Jul 1 21:17:27 2015

Clearly, Devin "Little" is looking forward to changing his short pants for the long pants of the cretinous Ho; but, clearly, he is trying hard to make the transition ...

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 03:12:09 2015

A big High-Five to eCRATER! A simple site with some firm rules to maintain the integrity of the site and sellers that are doing their best to be good sellers, and they aren't afraid to turn in sellers that are not only laying down on the job, they have fallen off the bed. Something that ebay not only doesn't seem to care about, they actively seem to encourage it. It is nice when needed to write to the eCRATER team and get a personal reply.

No, we aren't as big as ebay, but no stress ulcers either. If more sellers would come then eCrater would grow even more.

Also folks when your listing shows up on ecrater, a buyer at times might have to click on a link to see the whole listing description which is only due to page sizes, but your listing SHOWS, depending on how someone searches, your listing should show up and there are no algorithms or weirdly set up search engines keeping buyers from seeing what they want.

I have had over 4500 items sold on eCRATER at this point! So no matter what some jokers say, things do sell on eCRATER!

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 03:15:13 2015

>>This shows how broken eBay is.<<
Or it could just show how much better eCRATER is at getting its sellers listed on search engines.

by: nordicgal This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 05:03:17 2015

I am absolutely delighted to hear this!  I just did a random search and though I did not find any of my eCrater items at the top of the list, there were several pictured on the right from eCrater, Pinterest and even Bonanza.

I would like to share my story for those that are asking where to sell and what led me to where I am.

I first sold on eBay in 2003 as a casual seller getting rid of household stuff.  I began selling professionally as a business owner in 2008 so I missed most of the ''good old days'' that you all talk about.  I did well, with each year revenue increasing to my best year which was 2012, then 2013 and 2014 decreased slightly but not alarmingly.  I first heard about eBay hiding the listings late in 2014 from a friend who I met through an eBay sale and has now been selling regularly on eCrater for several years.  I actually signed up for eCrater in 2010 and never did anything with it.  How I wish I would have now.  When the friend told me about the hidden listings, I was infuriated and that was when the tide had turned for me.

When I first started the business in 2008, I was welcomed by PayPal holding 10% of my revenue over a revolving 60 days.  This was maddening.  Finally, I wrote them a nasty letter and they stopped doing it after almost two years.

I have a basic store subscription but signed up for the momth to month subscription, knowing that once eBay ropes you into something, it's hard to back out.  As eBay inflicted more tortuous rules, I mostly complied but opted out of hassle free returns and the Global shipping program.  About 15% of my sales are International and except for a couple bad eggs and a few Postal service inadequacies, I find International buyers to be a delight without the sick sense of entitlement that a lot of US eBay buyers have.

Around the time of the ''news'' about hidden listings was when eBay presented the ''Holiday returns'' carrot (extortion) and I wasn't biting.  That was the beginning of the end for me.

All in all business was good through February of this year.  On March 1st I sold a large item and the switch was forever flicked.  I consider myself a small seller usually having between 500-600 items per month on eBay, mostly fixed price (because I also learned you lose your a$$ on auctions these days).  I would typically sell between 100-150 items per month during my personal heyday.  My sales have rapidly declined starting March 2nd with this June being my worst month in the history of my business and selling 46 items.  A goose egg day was a rare occurrence in the past and now I can go several days with zero sales, then maybe get one or two and so on and so on.

I listed my items on eCrater in January and have had 21 sales since then.  Nothing a person could make a living on but much better than the one sale a YEAR on blujay...remember blujay?  I find eCrater to be sleek and easy to use and customer service is great.  I like that I can use Stripe for processing payments and don't have to be forced to use PayPal.  Their shipping system needs some work however.  You can only choose flat rate OR calculated and the calculated only goes by the pound.  I go by the ounce to give everyone the best shipping cost possible.

In April I signed up for Bonanza and sold four items early on.  I have not sold a thing in a long time there.  Their site is cumbersome to use and has a lot of nitpicky little problems.  Also, early on I sold an item and the shipping went to Media Mail option and the buyer paid $4.00 for shipping, when in reality it should have been about $20.00.  I contacted Bonanza and they gave me lipservice about my shipping not being set up correctly, though all my mailing options were displayed including the weight.  That experience left a bad taste in my mouth but it is still a thousand times better than eBay.

I was invited by 11 Main to open a shop but thus far, I have not.  Since I signed up, they call atleast twice a day and send an e-Mail about twice a week asking me if I need help listing.  In retrospect, I don't think I will continue.  I thought about Amazon and all it's traffic but the fees sound horrendous as do the rules and regulations, like eBay.  I do like that they stick up for their sellers more.  They are still under consideration for me.

I wonder now if eBay flipped the switch on me because I started to jump ship...???  They can see that you have granted permissions to export your items to eCrater and Bonanza.

On eBay I have also just recently experienced the ''rolling black outs'' that you all have talked about.  One amazing three day period (sarcasm), I sold seven items and noticed that five were to ship to Texas and the other two were International.  Then another day I sold two items and both were for Oklahoma.  Coincidence, I think not.  It makes me wonder what my sales would be if my listings were shown to everyone.

So, I have started my exodus and my next steps are Facebook/Shopify and my own website.  If that doesn't work, I will be pounding the pavement looking for a ''regular'' job again.

I am still a top rated seller but I am growing weary of all the BS.  I no longer call eBay, though I have bogus defects handed out by them and unruly buyers.  I just would rather not waste of whole day of my time waiting on hold and then talking to Peggy for no resolution.  I have also been made into a second shift employee by eBay's one day handling carrot.  I typically stay up past 2:00 AM in case someone buys something at 1:55.  I can still get it in the next days mail for pick up if I do it that way.  I resent that it has become this way and will likely give up my measly TRS discount soon so I can have my life back.  If eBay went by each seller's individual time zone (Central for me), it wouldn't be so bad.  Not everyone lives on California time.  I actually asked a CRS about the time zone thing once...why can't the official time be set to your individual time zone instead of California time?... and he said no one had ever asked him that before.  Yeah, right.   If I don't like it I can leave, right?  Well I am, in due time, when it is set up right for me.

As an eBay buyer...I used to spend a sh!t ton of money there on all kinds of personal goods, items that I could purchase and flip as a picker, collectibles you name it.  I used to get numerous packages each week.  Now all I buy is packaging supplies because they have the lowest prices.

When I want to buy something online the first place I check is eCrater because it is my personal favorite and I want to patronize the sellers there and then next is Bonanza.  Unfortunately, neither of those sites usually have what I am looking for.  Next, I go to Amazon or the manufacturers own site ie: Mr. Coffee for a Mr. Coffee coffee pot.

I now always cut the top portion of my shipping labels off that show eBay.  I am so sick to death of them but I am almost gone.  Making progress.  I will be doing cartwheels when I am free of eBay.

Thanks for ''listening''

by: nordicgal This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 05:16:44 2015

I just wanted to add another note that is more on topic.  I don't mind paying some fees, eBay included and listing fees included as long as I get something out of it.  I don't like paying for a service that is not provided.

This user has validated their user name. by: Vintage Touch

Thu Jul 2 08:57:19 2015

To Nordicgal - I have been a seller on eCrater for many years & use calculated shipping. If you enter the weight in a listing converting the ounces to a fraction of a pound it works beautifully with ounces.  exp 1/4 of a pound = 0.25 ounces.  Just divide the ounces by 16 to get your fraction.  I have no problem and the weight is determined for the buyer by the ounce.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 09:05:44 2015

I had been cutting my label tops for years , fbay gifts when they are left on porches, now with amazons yellow boxes same thing.

any venue that uses Google properly gets hits the bay misuses them hence were penalized and all the sellers pay for fbays problem

I don't use ecrater so I cannot comment on sales there,

I must agree when you export your listings from fbay something for sure happens to sales it is like they have a cookie alerting them you are about to jump ship.....

I tried bonanza however 3 sales in a year mostly from other sellers not a bunch of action there Google does show them but seasonal and some other countries we do not sell to everyone joins but some have several un verified memberships

I moved to speeditrade Google shows them and site map is good new venue but so far sales are growing slowly I figure if I have to pay to advertise I may as well grow with another company, their buyers are all registered as with sellers, time will tell

I think at this point any venue has better placement than fbay most of the Google links there are to broken auctions or items no longer available I think this is due to all the two week policies they have, it takes Google a week or so to place items thru their crawlers , and with fbay changing policies ever other week, thus creating broken links thru Google

I believe that fbay is wanting sellers to promote their site in addition to paying to use the venue someone has to pay wagers pay and future bonuses

by: L This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 09:44:40 2015

Question for Nordicgal & others:

I have been on Bonanza for 3-4 months. Any sale is a good sale, but I'm not getting rich there.

I started to sign up for eCrater, but when I read their stern warning about having duplicates on the Google feed, I stopped. I was already on Bonanza and didn't want to do a U-turn at that point.

So what were they referring to?

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 10:09:44 2015

@L
I use speeditrade it is a new venue slow but steady growth it uses Google to promote and placement depending on what you sell does work,

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 10:29:27 2015

Duplicates listings are a no-no for Google feeds. Say you have an eBay listing, then you copy it and put it on another selling site, so you have 2 listings for the same product. That would be a duplicate listing. And on eCrater, as well as other sites, you cannot list the same widget over and over again. If you have more than one of an item, you would list it once and then alter the quantity number for inventory control.
So, if you are adding things to your eCrater store, just add items that you are not selling in other venues, or delete them from the other venue and add them to eCrater.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jul 2 12:11:17 2015

I am so happy to see that eCrater is finally getting some love. I have been "ranting" for several years now that people should sell on eCrater, and it looks like sellers are beginning to realize that there are positives to setting up a store there, the biggest being that JD and his henchmen are not micromanaging your sales and stealing your money. I haven't been as prosperous as Moonwishes, but a large part of that is due to my laziness in building up listings for my store. I now have around 6K items in my store, and it is a rarity for me not to get at least one sale a day, and most times I have multiple items purchased by each buyer.

by: nordicgal This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 14:07:04 2015

@VintageTouch...thanks so much for the shipping weight information about eCrater.  I had tried the fraction when I originally set up as .5 for eight ounces and got this message ''Weight must be a positive number or 0. Four digits max after the decimal.''  Duh. I just tried it now as 0.5 and it works.  That will be helpful for lighter items that I ship first class or for International buyers.

@Harriet...I had no idea that duplicate listings from site to site were considered duplicates.  I thought that just applied to within the same site.  I have 516 items on eBay, 551 on Bonanza and 585 on eCrater so the 516 are all the same on all three sites.  Can you change the title and have it qualify as a different listing?   I thought I was getting three times the exposure from Google and here I was probably sabotaging myself.

@ajeweler...I figured eBay was punishing me for leaving.  I'm still completely puzzled by why they wouldn't want all the selling final value fees that I used to bring in for them versus the paltry sum they are getting from me now.

Thanks everyone for all the useful insights.

by: wallflower This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 14:12:08 2015

Do vintage/collectible/OOAK items do well on eCrater?

by: nordicgal This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 14:21:07 2015

@iheartjacksparrow...I agree that the stress free selling on eCrater is a blessing.  I love that there is no meddling and the buyers seem to act like adults.  I almost forgot what that was like.

@Harriet, iheartjacksparrow and other eCrater sellers.  Has anyone tried using your own domain name on eCrater yet for $5.00 a month and how does it work for you?  I have had my own domain for several years but have never used it.  Would using it on eCrater be a good alternative to starting my own website? Thank you.