Mon June 22 2015 16:01:32

eBay Sniping Policy Results in Lost Bids

By: Reader

I called eBay and the girl on the phone told me directly that eBay does not want you to use sniping services anymore. I told her that I am going to file a complaint with the appropriate agency.

I too have lost some items that I really wanted and the sellers I contacted were really mad. This is making eBay look really stupid.

I have used AuctionSniper for over 10 years and never had the "eBay requires account verification" pop up. Now it is popping up once a week.

AuctionSniper and eBay blame each other for the problem. I guess that eBay wants to lose business and they are.
D.

eBay Sniping Policy Results in Lost Bids   eBay Sniping Policy Results in Lost Bids

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jun 22 16:25:24 2015

Of course, eBay does not like "sniping" programs—they potentially minimise the price sellers may receive at auction because such “sniping” somewhat reduced an unscrupulous merchant’s opportunity to counter bid on his own auctions by placing his own “nibble” bids … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

And we can’t have that now, can we …

Regardless, “eBay requires account verification”; what is that all about? I’ve never seen it; then, I have bought very little for some time now on eBay—period …

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 22 16:43:15 2015

Not sure what the OP is talking about as I just purchased some stuff using ESnipe sniping service and didn't have a problem with it.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 00:53:44 2015

Wait--what?    I have used sniping services for years altho not so much recently so maybe not au courant on this.  What is so different from me sitting here with my finger on the BUY button  vs a snipe bid?

Yes I DO know how a snipe program WORKS--but---why would a SELLER complain?

Guess it has been so long since ANY item I offered was actually BID UP that I just don't "get it".

I do find it--amusing--that any time I list something with an AUCTION format I get the message--Items such as this are "xyz" times more likely to sell as a FIXED PRICE ITEM;  and any time I list something using a Fixed Price I get the OPPOSITE message----I don't think ebay knows what they are talking about either way.

AS for ME---I live in a very rural area where the Net is spotty at best;  if I really REALLY want something I cannot COUNT on the Net being available when the item ends;  so I use a Snipe Service to make sure I at least have a fighting chance.  WHY is this an issue?   And I certainly have NEVER used my own bids to "test nibble"  and drive MY prices up----first off I would need to have some one actually INTERESTED in my invisible items!!!

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 02:47:56 2015

I do not like sniping as I have actually been locked out of bidding by such programs. Results a seller loses money.

by: gejbooks This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 06:16:44 2015

The vast majority of of sniping software works just fine.  Whenever anyone complains about this problem it always seems to involve AuctionSniper.  Of course they are not going to admit it is their problem - try a different service.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 08:50:07 2015

by using a sniping service the buyer is essentially giving the sniper the right to bid for them, and by doing so you need to create what is called a token. Same thing needed for listing help services such as Auctiva and Ink Frog. Occasionally eBay does not recognize that token for some reason or glitch, it was happening a couple years ago quite often with many complaints but it seems like that problem went away as I have not had any issues and I not only use a sniper when bidding but sell to many buyers who use one and I have not had any issues in a year or so

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 09:05:41 2015

For "sniping" to occur, there has to be an active or potential BIDDING WAR in play. Given that the majority of my items are selling - when they sell AT ALL - on a lone, starting bid, I'm not seeing it. I did have one bid trumped recently and I was shocked! The competitive bidding that was commonplace years ago on the site is long gone. If you list auction format, better set the starting bid at a price you can afford to sell the item, or you'll take a bath.  JD doesn't mind, though; he gets his FVF whether you profit or lose!

by: tinawh This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 09:06:40 2015

I use auction sniper too because some auctions end way past my bedtime.  Last month, I bid on a ring that I really wanted so my bid was pretty high.  I did not win the auction because eBay required account verification from auction sniper.  When I saw that, I went to the closed page and saw that the ring went for a much lower figure than my bid.  The seller lost quite a bit of money here.  I have 2000 wins and this was the first time it popped by needing verification.  I was pretty unhappy and I expect the seller would have been much happier with my bid.  Both buyers and sellers lose with this seemingly random action by eBay.  It makes no sense at all.  Maybe some auctions might lose money but I think most don't. You are leaving a max bid that some sellers will never see.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 09:45:36 2015

from what I have seen in my years of selling those snipe programs are a hassle, the seller gets two people with really high placed bids and the last seconds of the auction the price can jump by hundreds of dollars, and it seems that the winner of the auction almost always wants a partial refund or a return because they placed a very high price guaranteeing them a win, ebay to my knowledge never endorsed these programs. however as most stated here ebay needs more buyers not selling but 1-3 items a week is not a market place its a break even at the least your time is worth something people

by: luxe1 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 10:23:12 2015

@tinawh - Same with me. Lost several auctions when I placed snipes with Auctionsniper at higher prices than the auctions ended at.  Got the message that 'eBay requires account verification'.  In fact, I still have two open tickets on it with Auctionsniper.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 10:23:32 2015

I agree that there seems to be less sniping now than in the past, although I'd attribute it to a downturn in eBay auction sales in general. Casual bidders may not even know about sniping, or services doing that for you, and some long-term buyers (and sellers) may have given up the site in favor of other markets.

This user has validated their user name. by: SalesBoy

Tue Jun 23 10:50:05 2015

I use Gixen without any problems whatsoever.

by: ruthie This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 11:30:00 2015

@ajeweler ...''from what I have seen in my years of selling those snipe programs are a hassle''
-----------------------------------------------

You have absolutely NO WAY to tell if the bid was sniped manually or by a sniping program.

When I snipe I set my bid for the highest amount I'm willing to pay. It's not the last bid that wins, it's the HIGHEST bid.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Tue Jun 23 12:09:54 2015

I've used Esnipe for years with no problems. I used to buy a *lot* on Ebay and there were often many auctions closing at the same time or during work hours when I couldn't guarantee being able to bid manually. Using Esnipe saved me a lot of time. I don't buy much any more, and I rarely get multiple bids when I sell, but I have absolutely no issues with snipe services on either side. It would be a disservice to both buyers and sellers if Ebay started causing problems with these services.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 12:42:46 2015

I lost several items to bids WAAAAAY lower than my max, and although I complained to everyone (sellers included) nothing came of it. It has happened to me at leat 10 times--big maddening losses. I have been with Pay Pal for 15 years.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Tue Jun 23 14:43:39 2015

This may be paranoia running deep but in JD's quest to end auctions, I always suspected if an auction received one bid the listing disappeared in search. Since this would end bidding wars and low outcomes, sellers would list at a fixed price. Another thought would be sellers with selling limits would have auctions end lower with ebay manipulating buyer's max bidding with the message of ''requiring account verification''. Maybe there is a tie-in to Ina's other article ''eBay is Blocking Buyers in Error''. I know, I know I'm thinking too much.

by: hzATL This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 23 15:59:19 2015

Never had a problem using AuctionSniper until recently. I've had this same issue 3 times in the past month. All with sellers with very low FB numbers. First one was for 2 items from a seller I had purchased from previously. My bids were well over what the items sold for. $150 over each! When I contacted the seller (FB of 40) he checked into it & found his Buyer Requirements settings were ''messed up''. Changed his settings & my bids have gone through without a hitch since. Second seller (FB of 17) missed out on my max bid of $399.99 on a bracelet that sold for $260! Big difference. I'm angry my snipe bids were not allowed & the sellers are angry they missed out on getting more money for their items. I did finally ''verify'' my eBay account (it took 7...yes seven...verification code numbers to be ''verified''!) but as a buyer and seller on eBay for over 13 years I don't understand how blocking snipe bids helps anyone. Buyers lose items they want; sellers lose higher selling prices; eBay loses higher FVFs. There are no winners.

by: booklover27 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 24 14:48:50 2015

It's the only sensible thing Ebay has done in ages.  Sniping is unfair for bidders and sellers.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 24 15:20:48 2015

> Sniping is unfair for bidders and sellers.

How? Please elaborate.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Jun 24 19:10:53 2015

Yeah, booklover, the highest bidder wins; is that not how a "closed tender" type of auction is supposed to work, or do you think that the unscrupulous $1-start auctioneers should have more time to throw in some more of their own nibble shill bids? And if the buyers don't like others sniping they can always place their highest bid using eBay's proxy bid system—Ho, Ho, Ho ...