Thu June 18 2015 16:41:04

Recent eBay Changes Negatively Affect High-Value Sellers

By: Reader

I am a high volume seller. Top Rated 100 percent positive feedback with no account issues. My sales have stopped.

I contacted eBay and spoke with high value sales CSR. After an hour long conversation and reviewing my listing, I was told I was being added to the list of high value sellers that are being effected by the recent changes.

I was dumb founded. I said, Oh I am not the only one, and they chuckled and said they are in conference and comparing notes on what's causing this and how they are trying to fix it. They are comparing notes.

I went from 50 sales a day to 1. Might be something you may consider looking into and informing other about.
J.

Recent eBay Changes Negatively Affect High-Value S   Recent eBay Changes Negatively Affect High-Value S

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 18 18:28:03 2015

Welcome to the homeless camp- drop that steak and come on into the woods with us, the pork and beans are on the grill.

Sympathies brother.

Let's see, where can I hang my TRS certificate... over on this shelled-out clothes washer. I have made a mattress from my shipping supplies- g damn bugs!@&.

MH- brother u are not alone.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jun 18 19:00:37 2015

So, anything else new at eBay today?

eBay Inc.—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jun 18 19:50:59 2015

"Recent changes." Is that code for their usual glitch-a-day which no one seems interested in fixing?

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 18 21:15:25 2015

I thought it ws the UK's week to get ripped off by ebay.

Things are SPEEDILY getting ugly.

MH
Yahoo ebay stock page- very interesting report filed by ebay to the SEC today- I am dissecting it....

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 18 22:33:20 2015

I guess Im on that list too (though it could just be eBays revenge for all my posts "in the community") since my sales went from 10K a week to 2K ....

by: nonyme This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 18 23:08:33 2015

Yeah, I normally sell 5-7 items a day and I've sold one in the last two days. To a regular buyer who buys from me once a week.

I just set up a shopify account. They're partnering with Pinterest to create Buyable Pins; that'll roll out next month. I'm already getting traffic in the new store. No sales yet, but hey, that's only one sale worse than eBay ...

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 19 02:53:14 2015

Interesting, that sales everywhere seem to have dropped. We have a large antiques store, I have three accounts on Etsy, and three on Ebay. I sell about ten different types of things online, and have a really diverse stock in our B&M store.

People seem to have just stopped buying everywhere, or where I sell anyway. Honestly, I can't figure it out. It is like someone dropped an atomic bomb, and forgot to tell me.

I thought it was just me, and have been trying to figure out what to sell that people actually want. Oh, yah, Ebay suggests I sell iPhones, expensive watches, or new Nikes. And, where am I suppose to get those?

As far as vintage, or crafts supplies, nobody seems to be buying recently. Actually, this has been getting steadily worse for about the last year.

Thought I would spread a little happiness and light here. I hope others are doing better than me!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jun 19 07:26:50 2015

I have felt pretty strongly that eBay have been implementing mission creep tactics every year, shortly after the Spring updates are announced.  They could not push small sellers out all at once, so I do believe that every year they pull another lever that pushes non-enterprise sellers down further, in search visibility and otherwise. I believe that for years they have been on a mission to make us completely invisible.

How else could one explain continually rolling out policies that harm non-enterprise sellers?  eBay are a big data company. They watch the data carefully. They know what is going on and they know exactly what their actions create. The data doesn't lie.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 19 08:54:39 2015

The ongoing abnormalities always confound me. Lots of views on item for weeks, good robust sales, then 0 views on relists and no sales for a week. Let's face it--we all KNOW we pay our money and take our chances. Some honest disclosure would be a welcome change. But until someone exposes an issue in media, I don't think eBay addresses much.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 19 09:01:16 2015

OP,  don't even waste another minute trying to re-gain your sales back, find another venue before you  go broke, your ebay issue is quite common, and won't end well.

Recent changes ???

JD started to upset the balance years ago, your just starting to see the results, of his innovation,,,,

Less seller item variety = less buyers

Less sellers = less buyers

Upset sellers = less buyers

The list of disruptive senseless changes done to ebay is enormous , the fine balance is long gone, and this unfortunately is the ultimate result of it,

Just wait and see what innovative things happen to Paypal next.

You would have to be a fool to invest in these companies.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 19 09:13:18 2015

that is about true again the lashings will get middle class sellers, its not over yet they only want chain stores and big box sellers and of course the china sellers no matter how large. soon you will see the super sellers here posting,

question why is ebay so great if all you sell is 1-3 items daily the labor does not balance out cost of selling too high for just about anyone

there are so many pro ebay sellers or die hard sellers now we will see them work their way out

ebay will or should be finished with USA sellers soon and move into china to new waters constant changes are not good for any volume sellers it seems once you are done revising all your listings you the very next week have to start all over again with new weekly rules and lashings too much stress

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 19 09:30:22 2015

What changes?

eBay is up to something - the question is WHAT?

"Can Devin Wenig make eBay cool again?"

(short answer: no, hell no, and are you on crack?)

"EBay has to stand for something unique in the world,” says Devin Wenig, CEO-designate of eBay Inc" - it does - it stands for FRAUD.

"“EBay is at its best when we enable small and medium-sized brands and merchants to present unique inventory to shoppers who love to shop.”  - ok - so if you know what to do - why not just go ahead and DO IT?

"Wenig is sitting in his disheveled third-floor office in the low-slung, sand-colored “Jewelry” building in eBay’s San Jose, Calif., headquarters." - a messy desk is akin to a messy mind.

"But Wenig acknowledges eBay has to make some big changes to turn the idea into a reality." - well, then job #1 is kill Cassini and put back Jupiter.

"Wenig has his work cut out for him. The gross merchandise volume, or GMV, which measures the total sales dollar value for merchandise sold through eBay’s marketplace in the United States, grew 8.5% last year. That falls short of the U.S. e-commerce market’s 15.4% growth rate. And while eBay faced challenges last year—a data breach forced it to reset users’ passwords and Google Inc. changed the way it ranks eBay’s pages in a way that hurt the online marketplace—the company’s growth has only exceeded the U.S. e-commerce market’s growth rate once since 2009."

"EBay’s relatively middling growth—at least in the context of the burgeoning e-commerce market—is why few retailers that work with ChannelAdvisor Corp., a vendor that helps retailers sell on eBay and other online marketplaces, are focusing much time or money on eBay, says Scot Wingo, the company’s executive chairman. “Practically none of them are making huge investments in eBay because they see more innovation and growth coming from elsewhere,” he says." - translation: NO ONE WANTS TO WORK OR INVEST IN EBAY... duh we all told you so!

"it has been losing market share for some time (See Data Points, page 49). And that’s a real problem. “You can’t lose market share forever,” Sebastian says. Even if Wenig does breathe new life into a leaner, more appealing eBay, many believe that the endgame might be another company acquiring the online marketplace" ... and how many people here said that same exact things?  Our sliding sales show eBay is loosing marketshare, and their ONLY hope may very well be a buy out of some kind.

"EBay has largely failed to develop the type of breakthrough products and ideas that can change a company, Mulpuru says." NO KIDDING!

"None of eBay’s moves have been the game changer that the company has needed to transform its business, Mulpuru says." DUH!

"These missteps, and its below-market growth, tarnished eBay’s once-glowing image. Twenty years ago, Amazon and eBay rode the same e-commerce wave to become two of the Internet’s biggest stars. But while Amazon continues to grow faster than the e-commerce market and introduces innovations at a rapid clip (even if some, ultimately, prove unsuccessful)—developing TV series, rolling out consumer electronics, testing delivery drones—eBay’s business of late has been decidedly less flashy." HOW MANY TIMES HAVE PEOPLE HERE SAID THIS VERY SAME THING ABOUT ITS STOCK PRICE?

"eBay has left nearly everyone feeling neglected. That’s a problem because as a marketplace, eBay has to find ways to make both buyers and sellers—both of whom are its customers—know that it understands their needs." ... EXCEPT THAT EBAY HAS OPENLY SAID IT HATES ITS SMALL SELLERS ....

"At some point, it won’t make sense to list more items on eBay,” he says." YUP!

"there are likely others who simply couldn’t find the sellers’ items." WE HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS! WAKE UP WENIG!

HOW EBAY PLANS TO DOUBLE/TRIPPLE DIP ON AD LISTINGS!

"Another way eBay aims to help sellers garner attention is by offering ad units that let them secure higher profile rankings in search results. The online marketplace plans to begin testing the ad unit, which it is calling Promoted Listings, this month in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany and Australia and plans to roll it out more broadly over the course of the year. Retailers will bid a percentage of an item’s final purchase price to win ad positions. The ads will initially appear to shoppers on eBay’s desktop site, as well as its Apple Inc. iOS mobile apps. EBay plans to expand the ad unit to its Android apps in August."

"At first, the ads will appear at the bottom of the first page of search results but over the course of the test, the online marketplace will make them more prominent. The aim, a spokeswoman says, is to ensure that the ads aren’t too intrusive. Based on the test’s results, eBay says it may begin placing Promoted Listings ads elsewhere on its site."

"What success means remains up in the air. Many believe Wenig’s ultimate goal is for another company to buy eBay. “I haven’t talked to anyone who doesn’t think that eBay is going to be acquired,” Mulpuru says. “It’s breaking up the empire and selling the parts to the highest bidders.”

Wenig, for his part, doesn’t deny the possibility of an acquisition."

Is this the best Wenig can think of? Rip Sellers off AGAIN? Dude .. I'll just go to AMAZON.

Theres LOTS more to read in this article.... enjoy it like I did !

ake-ebay-cool-again

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jun 19 09:58:40 2015

I did my 1st refund in years.

Customer claimed item was the wrong size.

Item came back with a eBay label that said no postage required.

The following 3 days we had more sales then the previous 2 weeks.

I'm wondering if the refund had anything to do with getting more sales.

Sounds crazy but what else could it be? coincidence?

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 19 10:50:44 2015

I think it is safe to say that Ebay has suffered under the direction of JD. That said, I think he has done exactly what he set out to do. Use the cash generated by Ebay to act as a sort of investment bank. Acquiring and growing smaller companies to later spin off. Unfortunately the people who have placed their future in selling on ebay have been more or less taken for a ride. Led to believe they could actually grow a viable business when that really isn't the case. And by viable, I mean a business that can grow year over year, complete on price and service, succeed or fail based on the efforts of the business owner. Not through some manipulated, contrived system that benefits no one except ebay.

by: queenfloraday This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 19 11:53:48 2015

I read the InternetRetailer Article on Weing and it still reads like eBay is all over the road on it's future plans. In one sentence they are going back to grassroots with OOAK used/vintage items and in the next sentence they want manufactured coded new items. Sounds like they are using the ''throw any idea at the wall and see what sticks'' business plan. No wonder they are losing market share...just saying

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jun 19 13:28:10 2015

queenfloraday says "they want manufactured coded new items"

I have feared that this is where they are going....always trying to be like Amazon.

If this comes to fruition, forget finding "IT" on eBay.

By the way, does anyone know how to list pre-owned shoes on eBay now that they are requiring UPCs for pre-owned shoes?  Is there a work around?

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Jun 19 13:36:47 2015

Rexford

I usually don't sell shoes but I think you just choose the ''Pre-owned'' condition choice from the drop down.

That should eliminate the UPC requirement.

Are you getting an error? The site is SO glitchy.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 19 13:47:22 2015

Don't ya all just love it when all those " 100 percent top rated TRS sellers complain about how they are being mistreated".  Ebay needs to raise the carrot another foot. HA HA

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 19 13:56:22 2015

I often wondered if a American seller placed in the country box china if he would receive special treatment? good thought that he may be exempt from DSR's were as he is selling china made stuff? even though he is an American selling say Chinese tools?

the Chinese sellers are doing it claiming they are from the us it seems to protect them why not in reverse?

by: booklover27 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 19 14:57:55 2015

Hi,

It's Google time again for Ebay.  They can't figure out how to get their incredibly poor feed into google and google ain't helping them on this because google hates Ebay...I hope Ebay goes into bankruptcy this year or better yet gets bought out by a real company....

1 2 3  [Next Page]