Fri June 12 2015 08:29:07

Why Does eBay Display Which Sellers You Follow?

By: Reader

Maybe I'm just behind the times, but when did eBay change their privacy laws and not inform us? I clicked on a Sellers page and I was surprised to see that I could see the Sellers he was following. Or some of them.

I went to my page (Feedback Profile, then click on your Name and it will take you to the page where you can see what I'm talking about) where you have options to choose Public or Private under settings. Even Facebook has better notifications than this!

I don't want people to know what sellers I follow! Or searches! Why is this even an option?  How long has my privacy been invaded?
L.

Why Does eBay Display Which Sellers You Follow?   Why Does eBay Display Which Sellers You Follow?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jun 12 09:21:57 2015

Please remember, everything that eBay do is in eBay's best interest.  They could care less about our privacy.

I can't answer your question, but please don't call customer service. They won't know, and depending on who you talk to you will get a wide variety of answers.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 12 10:00:45 2015

they do this to track what you are looking at so they can say "this is the most popular" however this feature to me is an invasion of privacy that's why I moved my listings out of their venue to speeditrade there I do not have a invasion of my privacy

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Jun 12 10:06:30 2015

Well crap - don't want to leave that search that indicates bra size laying around for the world to see.

Yup - On a sellers ''about me'' page you can see which sellers they follow, what searches they have saved, AND who is ''following'' them. There may be one somewhere, but I don't see an option in settings to make saved searches private.

click, click, click, click, - sound of saved searches being deleted.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 12 14:15:44 2015

So, what's new at eBay / PayPal?

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 12 14:19:13 2015

Did someone mention "saved searches"? After several months, I'm still receiving only eight of my ~60 active saved searches!

Am I the only one with this problem?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jun 12 14:22:46 2015

They hide ID's in feedback but show everyone who follows me and who I follow.

I don't see anything good about showing who's following who.

Does eBay want to be like twitter now?

Starting to think eBay wants to be eBay/Amazon/Facebook/Twitter & Instagram all rolled into one.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 12 14:48:53 2015

@everyone,

See, toolguy is capable of making a negative comment about eBay; why, I even recall another negative one from a little while ago ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Jun 12 14:58:55 2015

Playing with it gets really bizarre - you can click on your followers and see who your followers follow - and who follows your followers. Into infinity, I guess.

Philip - where are your searches missing from -
Your ''Searches you Follow''  page found by following  link at the side of ''my eBay page''?
Your ''Feed'' page?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Jun 12 15:06:12 2015

I just checked and I'm apparently following a seller, though I have no idea who he/she is. And wasn't there an eBay policy that they had to give sellers 30 days' notice before any site changes occur? Though I do know that they do whatever they want, when they want.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 12 15:08:49 2015

@basset,

They aren't missing from my "Searches you Follow" page; I simply don't now get the email notices for the great majority of them; this has happened a couple of times before but eventually the problem corrected itself; MIA for a couple of months this time ...

Gee, I wonder if the gnomes in the eBay suite understand that if you don't get such emails, buyers don't buy?

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Jun 12 15:23:11 2015

Perhaps I'll save some searches for knives, medieval torture devices, steroids,
Zombie Survival Guide Books, Slim Whitman CDs, and Hello Kitty.
No one will want to mess with me.

Philip - On my ''Searches I'm Following'' page - at the far right I have a ''more actions''  drop down box that give the choice to ''sign up for emails''.  (I'm usually doing the opposite as you and trying to eliminate notification emails and run the searches manually)

I do have a few set up for email notifications and that page actually has a Header for ''email settings'' and status of each search is either blank or ''receiving emails''.  Do you guys have the same layout on your screen?

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 12 16:17:56 2015

I am more interested in how I can have someone removed from following me. I have a competitor who watches what I list, lists many of the same items a day after me and copies my titles. I have been "educating" him for two years and there isn't any way to remove him.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 12 16:21:38 2015

@Basset,

Indeed, I am talking about "searches" that I have got marked for email notifications, and I am not receiving most of them now ...

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jun 12 17:25:16 2015

@ I Must be Crazy

I have a 1/2 a dozen of my competitors following me and I have no idea how long they've been doing it. I didn't sign up to be a teacher! And if I am shouldn't I be getting paid to do so?

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Jun 12 18:16:37 2015

I used to ''follow'' local sellers - some I knew - occasionally someone would have an item I wanted, and I would feel good about supporting a local seller.  Helped save on shipping sometimes, too.

Deleted.  The whole ''following'' thing feels a bit creepy now.

I used to do a lot of repeat buying from favorite sellers, too. Many of them have disappeared or only sell occasionally now.

Only repeat buying I seem to do anymore is office supplies.

by: used2luv2sell This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 12 22:10:37 2015

I recently noticed this about followers and it bothers me too.  I do not understand why they HIDE freaking names of bidders; hide my listings; hide best offer prices, etc. and then they go and put out to the public who I am following and who is following ME!  (It's not like they want me to contact them and have a chat because we aren't supposed to communicate)  Why do we have to keep asking what is WRONG with these people?

I am going to my account right now and I'll copy the people I want to follow to a spreadsheet and then I'm going to delete every one of them.  Take THAT you jerks!

This has to be happening to both buyers and sellers.  I am slowly weaning myself off both, but as a buyer, which makes me on the SPECIAL side of Ebay, it pi$$e$ me off to have them showing this.  Oh, Ebay, once I have this spreadsheet, I won't be checking on what my favorites have listed anymore because you have made it more difficult.  Once again the ''thinkers'' at Ebay have shown they don't buy or sell or care, and their ''thinking-guessing'' leaves a LOT to be desired.

Hey whats-yer-name newbie CEO - why don't you chat with some of the small sellers you want to reconnect with and LISTEN to what they have to say?  Or were you just blowing more smoke when you said that?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 12 22:18:08 2015

"Why Does eBay Display Which Sellers You Follow?"

If any one actually needed to ask, it's because the headless turkeys running eBay are a bunch of thoughtless, cretinous, narcissistic, shysters that care about no one but themselves—and, be assured, it will ever be so ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 12 22:40:01 2015

@used2luv2sell,

"I do not understand why they HIDE freaking names of bidders ..."

Seriously? eBay further anonymised the names of "buyers" specifically to aid and abet auction shill bidding fraud by those many unscrupulous sellers that still run nominal-start auctions and then bid on them themselves. Well, such anonymity does not really hide such fraud activity—except from the naïve that take eBay's auctions at face value—because any examination of the “Bid History: Details” pages of the usually very regular bidders on such auctions will demonstrate such fraud beyond any reasonable doubt …

Even in the case of the eBay consignment seller from Chicago—who no longer has streams of nibble (shill) bidding on her auctions—the few bidders that do appear are invariably still obvious shills. The reality is, she is buying much of her own stuff—not that that has not probably always been the case. Frankly, I don’t know how she is managing to survive paying eBay FVFs on all those faux sales …

This user has validated their user name. by: Bad Hair Day

Fri Jun 12 23:02:36 2015

I think they do it because Etsy does it. A little bit of Etsy... a little bit of Amazon...and the beat goes on....

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 13 12:29:44 2015

is it not considered cyber stalking? I had people follow me when I stopped selling, seriously what were they following? I had not sold in two months had no listings at all