Wed June 10 2015 11:18:57

eBay Requires Sellers to Pay Postage on All International Returns

By: Reader

Note from the Editor: We received the following emails from readers indicating eBay is forcing them to pay for return shipping on international orders - that's in addition to refunding the buyer for the original cost to send the package. We've sent a couple of inquiries to eBay PR with no response.

I am curious to know if you have heard anything about eBay requiring sellers to now pay for return postage on International orders?

I searched your site and found an issue related to sellers having to refund original postage on an international return, and I have been aware of that for some time, but it appears they are rolling the process out for sellers to also pay international return shipping.

I received a managed return request from Canada, and upon accepting it, the site said I need to email the buyer a return shipping label. I am not immediately sure how to do that, and a call to an eBay rep said I should contact Canada Post (I sell from Florida).

For some sellers having to pay return shipping from other countries, similar to Amazon's policy will mean it is not feasible to ship outside the US anymore.

Just curious if this has already been written about and I missed it, or if this is a new eBay roll out.
Thanks,
Jason

---

It is funny how eBay representatives in the U.S. Have no clue nor has a notice ever been made to sellers that order to the UK have extra rules (which are beyond eBay).

No matter what the reason is for a return, buyers are entitled for a full refund including shipping charges.

Why can't eBay reps be informed? And why doesn't eBay inform sellers of these changes?

This returns process is automated through the eBay returns, (which reps say does not support international sales) but they are being processed. Again no information.

If it isn't eBay rules, it is other rules leaving sellers hanging out to dry.
Brad

eBay Requires Sellers to Pay Postage on All Intern   eBay Requires Sellers to Pay Postage on All Intern

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 10 11:45:02 2015

and the lashings still keep on getting longer and harder, this is getting totally insane the cost to ship internationally is extremely expensive process with 100% return rate no one will be able to sell there the out of country sales are risky already without adding this to the plate
now a item that is say 25.00 will have to be free to international buyers because cost of shipping exceeds cost of item for freebay this is great they still get their listing fees seller gets another lashing, good by ebay this time it will be their demise

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 10 13:19:32 2015

Will this change in rules affect the chinese crap that needs to be returned.

Oh wait a minute.  Chinese junk has privileges as the taxpayers are subsidizing the cost of the postage for chinese to send their junk to us and therefore are protected against having to pay for return shipping.

Why else would a penny auction from china be listed on Fleecebay.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 10 14:07:36 2015

and another thought, ebay charges a percentage of the postal rates when shipping, this is non refundable fees, will they still charge a percentage when item is returned to the seller? ill bet they charge a percentage both ways unreal another lashing to the sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jun 10 15:24:27 2015

ajeweler is absolutely correct about the high cost to ship internationally. I gave up selling to anyone outside the U.S., not only because of the increase in fraud, but also because the postage is so expensive. I recently had a lady from the U.K. ask if I would consider shipping to her. The item was listed for $3; the absolute cheapest way to ship was over $14.

And I guess it was only a matter of time before eBay would start requiring sellers to give up more of their money for the benefit of the buyers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Jun 10 15:48:45 2015

The OP said:  "For some sellers having to pay return shipping from other countries, similar to Amazon's policy will mean it is not feasible to ship outside the US anymore."

It has not made any sense to ship outside of the US since the day eBay stopped being a venue and inserted itself as deeply as possible into every transaction.

Encouraging, allowing, permitting, and condoning buyer fraud is not an acceptable business model yet management continues as if they got it right.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 10 17:12:29 2015

I looked at my total intl. sales and looked at my ebay bill and the $$ made intl. barely covers the international fee- so I went US only last month.
My fees dropped to $78 instead of the usual $200 so I am staying US only from now on- this further cements this decision.
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jun 10 18:40:49 2015

We will be ending international sales due to this. We have more than one eBay site, and we will end international shipping on all of them.

Once again, eBay have shot themselves in the foot.  Due to bad US exchange rates in some countries, this could potentially cost a seller an arm and a leg.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jun 10 19:24:25 2015

Ina and David, if you get an official statement from eBay, please let us know.

We are done with international sales until eBay ends this ridiculousness.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Jun 10 19:36:54 2015

Obviously, the buyers too are deserting the sinking ship and eBay has to do something to stop the rusting old hulk from getting any lower in the water; hence, another load of spaghetti is thrown at the wall by the cretins in the eBay executive suite ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 10 20:48:40 2015

Do these rules about paying for return shipping apply to Global Shipping sales or only direct ship?

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 10 21:10:38 2015

This company is in so much trouble, it's doing anything it can to make sales, all at the expense of the seller, desperate times call for desperate actions,

unfortunately for ebay, they have already sucked the living hell from sellers, it will only lead to more sellers leaving, less international sales, and eventually worst for ebay.

as I have mentioned, many times, every decision the stupid idiots make are short term gains, which eventually ends in long term damage to the bottom line,

I can only wish the best of luck to the stupid idiots, making theses decisions at the ebay company, and my advise for you, is to hide under your desk when they make the rounds with the pink slips, maybe they won't find you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jun 10 22:15:42 2015

Maxmad says "the FVF on tens of millions of return shipping labels will bring in boatloads of cash. "

We ended international shipping on all of our eBay sites. Yes, we will feel it, but so will eBay.  The money that they make on return shipping labels will never match the revenues that they will lose on international sales from sellers like us multiplied by many thousands, who will also end international shipping.  As you stated, it will affect their bottom line, and I feel that it will affect it in a big way.

The high level of risk that sellers now experience will drive even more away.  eBay doesn't bear the risk, sellers do. And it sounds like many sellers have simply had enough.

by: Joey4711 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 00:59:26 2015

Hi,
I have a different view than many of you on international returns having to be paid by seller, just another way for Ebay to force you the seller into their Global Ripoff Overpriced Shipping Program.

Yet, they from what I understand also will require you to accept returns from that on your dime....what a wonderful system....now the great Donahoe gets to go ruin Paypal, the board of directors should be fired for letting him run this company in the ground, and instead of firing him in my view, they move him over to Paypal.  It is like we are at war, and I am on the Navy Ship Called Ebay with the idiot as captain and we take fire and start sinking, so the other ship that was sinking us comes over and asks the idiot to now captain that boat....

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 01:32:33 2015

Yes they do. Ebay sent out that announcement I think last year. You also have to pay the shipping center fee that was charged to the buyer if you used Ebay's Global shipping service. So all in all, if you sold a $25 item it could cost easily cost you $75 or more and you still do not get the item back.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 01:52:10 2015

It would be nice if Ina or David could do some research n rules for international sales and take ebay out of the mix. In other words if there is a rule that shipping to the UK we have to give a buyer full refunds plus pay shipping going and coming, no matter what venue we sell on.

This reminds me of newbie sellers saying that they aren't responsible for an order once it is dropped off at the shippers which is against US mail order rules.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 02:01:40 2015

i don't have to stop selling internationally, the post office did it for me by raising the rates past what anyone would pay.

by: drewmark This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 02:02:38 2015

I left ebay 2 months ago due to it being a loss. lol I finished my taxes after deducting receipts for seller materials, mileage, and ALL eBay fees, Paypal fees, Shipping fees, Not only was the eB ay business a LOSS it was a 4000.00 loss on the books. If I'm not making money its a waste of my time! I received an email to sell and I replied that they should just buy Chinese junk (Which supports God knows what evil in China.) to give away for free to scammer buyers. I sell on Bonanza.com, ecrater.com and on my own website and the buyers there havens scammed me like eBay buyers have. ( because they know the WILL get something for free for a false claim.) Enough is enough! no more eBay for me forever!! Godaddy has a great online store for 20 bucks a month with your own domiain, SEO for search engines to find you. Build your own online store. Go to youtube and you'll find free or cheap options to build your own store out of Wordpress and other platforms. eBay is dying a slow death and now its evident that John Donahue finally as pulled the trigger on eBay this time and he will leave to another company and make millions again as if nothing happened to eBay. Wow what a great career!! Wreck a company and move on as if nothing ever happened. Glad that's not on my credentials! lol Leave eBay and never go back. That WILL send a strong message to eBay. Sell On other outlets.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 07:41:58 2015

There's plenty of other money grabbing options on the table left for ebay to implement, and if you think, how much more can they possibly do or take, well, I can guarantee  this is nothing, just wait until the next quarter when their desperate to show profit to the shareholders, again.

You have to remember it's not their product, it's of no concern to ebay if you loose it, or have to pay to get it back,

Since sellers are actually ebay customers, there's no where they can get the money from other then from the seller, it couldn't be any simpler.

When you list on ebay, your really giving up full ownership and control of that item to ebay.

for ebay nothing is better then free to attract attention, unfortunately, for the seller nothing is really free,

We were stupid sellers for 14 years on ebay, and only this year we learned, we don't need ebay anymore, they need us.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 09:05:36 2015

Still on ebay for a little longer that I can use them. I love eCrater. I have 2 eCrater shops and 2 mini websites for all my items. Not quite done, but getting there. I won't be using eBay too much longer.

I thought that it will be mandated that international shipping will be required in November 2015. This is why I will not participate in eBay past November.

I think everyone who has encounter ebay global shipping problems should write to the Obama's Export Council and tell what DonHo has done to eBay's global shipping.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 09:11:41 2015

international sales have other down falls in addition to the shipping out and back, e bay makes fees on both ways and the exchange rate we pay paypal drops your bottom line on products so far the risk is too great, also there is no resolution center for international it all goes thru paypal, we all know how that ends money tied up for long terms of time meanwhile ebay takes their fees for selling item, that does not stop you receive credit a month or two later if you are lucky that's too good for ebay bad for sellers