Wed Apr 29 2015 08:49:51

eBay Overcharges Seller on Buyer's Return Shipping

By: Reader

I wonder if you might be able to feature the following story which (I'm sure) is not unique to me.  The following message gives all the details. It was written to eBay on Facebook, and then copied, so it is directed at them (when I say "you," I mean eBay, not EcommerceBytes).

I had a return request on eBay. I paid roughly $3 to ship the item to the buyer, so when the eBay return screen showed an option for me to have the buyer return it at my expense, I assumed the price would be the same (no price was shown to me).

When I selected that option, and was taken to the next screen, I was shown a return shipping cost of $7.75. The buyer only paid $29.99 for the item, and I was not about to pay $7.75 to have it returned.

On the prior screen (where I selected the option to have the buyer return the item), there was an option to refund the buyer and let them keep the item. I decided to go back to the prior screen and just refund them and let them keep it (the item is hardly worth $7.75 to me). However, when I went back, that option was gone.

Having selected the option to have the buyer return the item, I was now locked in to that option (DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE RETURN SHIPPING PRICE WAS NOT DISCLOSED TO ME UNTIL I SELECTED THE OPTION!)

I called eBay and asked how I could just refund the buyer and not have the item returned. The person I spoke with said that I would need to have the buyer open a request for a refund. I said that this was odd, since they already opened a return request. The eBay representative said they would need to do it again.

I contacted the buyer to ask if they were able to open another request for a refund. The buyer said that they didn't mind paying the cost of return shipping themselves. Some time passed before I got an email from eBay saying that the buyer was returning the item.

Now, I am billed $7.75 for the return shipping. I never approved this charge, and was unable to simply refund the buyer without having them return the item.

Please let me know what can be done at this point. YOU SHOULD NOT BE LOCKING SELLERS INTO A BILL WITHOUT FIRST DISCLOSING WHAT THE PRICE IS!
Troy

eBay Overcharges Seller on Buyer's Return Shipping   eBay Overcharges Seller on Buyer's Return Shipping

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Apr 29 09:24:43 2015

If you call customer service and request they pay the $7.75 you might get out of paying the return shipping.
Don't take NO for an answer. Explain the transaction just like you have here. If they say no call back and keep doing so until they eat the $7.75
You'll prevail with presistence.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 29 10:16:05 2015

But don't hold your breath doing that.  It has happen to us more than once and Fleecebay laughed all the way to the bank while we ate the outrageous shipping charge.

Now we are more likely to just refund, block and move on as our time is more important than a conversation with the Fleecebag customer jerks.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 29 10:30:25 2015

Feebay and FREEBAY seems to be the newest thing and sellers no matter what has to pay return shipping, you can call them all you wish however they will just read from a list pre answered questions with what you want to hear keep you on hold for an hour bark like a dog and spin around 3 times, I gave up on them tired of same thing different day the return fees are crazy when you spend $3.00 to ship and $7.oo to return an item plus seller membership fees and final value fees it just does not add up so just refund is the answer they will give you shame on ebay

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 29 10:31:35 2015

this is exactly why I left e bay for speeditrade none of this nonsense goes on there

by: AC_in_Mich This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 29 15:05:46 2015

@ajeweler - i went to speeditrade.com and it seems most of the listings are from you!  I cannot see completed auctions to try and see the effectiveness of the site.  Please let me know if I am missing something

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 29 17:14:59 2015

@AC_in_Mich
yes I am happy there. good people

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Apr 29 17:16:28 2015

So, what's new at eBay?

You may think that if there is one thing that a computer algorithm should have, it's logic; regrettably, few of eBay's systems have any logical purpose other than to fill the pockets of senior eBay executives with unearned "performance" bonuses ...

Of course, as the eBay "tool" says, you could get on the phone, for a couple of hours, and you might be able to get your $7 back; I guess it all depends on how little value you put on your time, which is what eBay bets on ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 29 17:19:28 2015

yes I just found one from 6months ago they charged me more for return shipping however I was told by a friend that they refund at the end of the month

This user has validated their user name. by: iBuyers

Wed Apr 29 17:27:11 2015

Our company was one of the pioneers of testing the eBay Return Center (Prior to Hassle Free Returns) This has been a known issue for a very long time. The only way to deal with it is to watch what eBay charges, then call in for a credit.
USA CS reps are well aware of it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Apr 29 17:59:06 2015

eBay--stealing from sellers going and coming.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 30 00:17:07 2015

1) a POX on anyone (Im looking at you iBuyers) that would help implement the current returns policies. Im not a rental agency and the manufactorers I deal with - dont care about eBays silly rules.

2) eBay? stealing? from sellers? I mean REALLY?

Come on - surely you jest. eBay would NEVER EVER EVER unjustly enrich themselves off sellers - NEVER.

John Donohue is the most HONEST MAN IN AMERICA - Im shocked anyone would even THINK never mind say such a thing. eBay is the PARAGON of virtue, the SHINNING LIGHT on the hill ....

Oh wait - Im lying - thats not eBay - eBay is THE EXACT OPPOSITE of all of that.

eBay makes La Costa Nostra look like children. SIlly "mafia" people with thier guns and baseball bats, silly Yakuza with their swords ... amateurs.

Why resort to violence when you can just electronically pick pocket your sellers every day? Why get your hands dirty when you can get "a Paypal" to do it for you?

Yes Mr/Mrs OP - eBays stolen from you .... AGAIN.

by: candsgadgets This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 30 00:25:53 2015

Where does the cost for the return postage show up? I have searched my entire bill for the last several months and have yet to find a charge for return postage...   Thanks!

This user has validated their user name. by: iBuyers

Thu Apr 30 07:13:56 2015

For pace306:
For your information we did not help implement it, our account, because we turnover more than 1 mill/per year on the site was selected without consent to test it.
We don't like it any more than you but have leaned to work with it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Apr 30 07:39:20 2015

iBuyers says "Perhaps if you quit grumbling and worked at a business as hard as you socialize, you too would increase in business revenue."

pace306, don't you dare silence yourself. I applaud anyone who speaks out against eBay's insane policies.  If that is called grumbling, grumble away.

And iBuyers, if you are moving as much inventory as you say you are, I guess you are one of Donahoe's darlins.  Those of us who do not move that level of inventory are throttled and we CAN'T grow our businesses on eBay. This is why we have moved much of our inventory who don't steal from us as eBay do.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Apr 30 07:40:04 2015

This is why we have moved much of our inventory to sites who don't steal from us as eBay do.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 30 08:04:22 2015

"Perhaps if you quit grumbling and worked at a business as hard as you socialize, you too would increase in business revenue. "

If I was an eBay beloved - I too could do a million a year on eBay.

Ive worked for companies that did WAY NORTH of a million a year on eBay - quit bragging.

Until I left (contract salary dispute) we STILL had an eBay rep - and that was until a yr or so ago.

Im FULLY aware of the rotten things eBay does - I helped engineer them for the place I worked for. I was there when the account cancelled 1100 sales in 1 month and eBay laughed and said OK since we were using D&H's feed with 40K plus items in it each month. We did AS WE PLEASED. We NEVER looked at or cared about eBay metrics - we didnt have to.

Now, I work harder "on my own" then I did there - and probably HARDER then you do.

I too was selected for inclusion early in a program - but it wasnt RETURNS - it was Global Shipping.

I only opted IN (they called to discuss it) because for me - GS works. It goes to KY and then I never have to see or hear from it again.

As for returns - maybe if you had been less like Hon-evile who screamed from the roof tops about how GREAT returns are and more like the rest of us - things would have turned out different.

PLEASE :) you tell Pioneer or Polk or Sony about non defective "defectives". Tell them YOU want to RENT stuff from Monster (great concert in Vegas @ CES BTW) Im SURE Noel Lee will help take back all the used crap.

ty so much :)

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 30 08:43:12 2015

ebay returns are simply out of line, as far as sellers are concerned, if they choose to go back the way things use to be they might save the venue

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 30 08:43:31 2015

While I don't sell on ebay so don't do return shipping with them, I have found that it is always cheaper to pay the return shipping yourself. I had to swap out sizes with a buyer from Amazon and the cost of the return postage through them would have been double what I would normally pay, so since I actually had to send them a new size, I enclosed a SASE for them to return the wrong size to me. Even if you are not sending something back to the buyer, either pay the shipping yourself or just cross the whole transaction off to a learning experience. Even as a buyer from regular on line stores (such as where I bought my shoes), I have found it to be true that if I buy something that doesn't have free returns, if you use their included postage return label they will charge you much more than the actual cost. Since I am set up with endicia to do my own postage label printing, I always do my own and save several dollars in the process. Printing my own postage label off endicia proved much simpler than the hassle you are going through. But know this, if you let these companies charge postage themselves, they will always charge more than what it really costs and I suppose pocket the difference themselves.

by: OmiGosh This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 30 08:57:09 2015

I had something similar happen. Someone wanted to return an item for no good reason but they were overseas.  I wasn't going to pay the return shipping. I ok's to refund when I receive the item back. Paypal was holding the full price including shipping. ebAY said to call Paypal and have them adjust the refund..  I explained it to Paypal.  They released the hold on my money and then told me that it was ok for me to now send a partial refund. And that is what I did.

by: csmih731 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 30 09:37:00 2015

Just another sneaky way for Greedbay to keep adding to their already-bulging wallets.