Wed Apr 22 2015 15:16:03

eBay Seller Suggests Idea to Improve USPS Package Tracking

By: Reader

Here is a suggestion that maybe you all may have better luck than I. I have asked and suggested to my USPS station's several times the following: For them to see if they could install a tracking reader at the post office. This way people like me, who drop off the packages can just scan their own packages and speed up the process.

It would help the USPS speed up the process and the customers would know the packages have been dropped at the post office.

I take packages to the post office twice per day and sometimes after hours, it sure would be nice to let the customer know their packages have been dropped off at the post office.

The post office manager liked the idea, but I have been told it would have to be decided by the national office.

Thanks,
David

eBay Seller Suggests Idea to Improve USPS Package   eBay Seller Suggests Idea to Improve USPS Package

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 22 15:29:10 2015

I guess two questions that immediately come to mind are:  1.  What exactly are your speeding up in the process?  The package won't get to the customer any faster.  2.  The package would still need to be verified by a USPS employee, wouldn't it?  What would stop someone from slapping a First Class label on a package when it actually weighs 15 ounces?

Just my 3 cents.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 22 15:56:40 2015

great idea however too much abuse, can you imagine ebay buyers using this to scam sellers they would simply open remove contents reseal and scan upon drop off boom the beatings start from ebay again seller looses...........good idea bad as it will be abused

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Wed Apr 22 15:59:05 2015

Having a clerk scan in the item has another benefit - it is weighed, at least at my PO. Avoids embarrassment of having an overweight package arriving with a postage due.

Also, I'm pretty sure postal regs require packages be handed over to the clerk.

There are other considerations the USPS must do before implementation - namely a cost/benefit analysis which takes time and a someone in the organization to be a proponent of the idea.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Apr 22 16:16:52 2015

And, what would stop anyone scanning there parcel and then taking it back home with them ...

Frankly, this is the sort of idea that could only have come from the cretins in the eBay executive suite ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Apr 22 19:17:20 2015

I'm sure the post office is getting scammed enough with their postage kiosks. I know of an individual who used those exclusively to send items by First Class Mail when they should be going as a First Class Package. (I think he eventually got caught doing that.)

At my post office I was told specifically that i couldn't put packages with electronically printed labels into a drop box, but that I had to hand them to a clerk. I like to get an "acceptance scan" receipt for every package in case there's any question about whether it atually got into the "system."

by: ffalk This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 00:31:56 2015

There's already a way to consolidate all packages for the post office on to 1 page. It's called a ''SCAN FORM''. I don't use ebay shipping and don't think it's available there, it is available with stamps.com and probably other services.

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 00:37:30 2015

I use the scan form. My postal carrier loves it, because no matter how many packages, one or twenty, he only has to scan once.

by: minnie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 02:49:37 2015

ffalk: Both ebay shipping and Paypal shipping offer the SCAN sheet.  I do prefer to use ebay shipping because they offer more types of envelopes and packages.  But sometimes I have items not sold on ebay, so I then use Paypal shipping.

by: corpuschristi1956 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 05:55:30 2015

I love this idea because the dimwit with whom I deal has inevitably scanned my items as being delivered instead of received. We are talking 30 packages at a time that show delivered the minute I have them scanned. This upsets my buyers because they know they have not received their item and can prove it by showing this idiotic scan. Guess with whom eBay will side when push comes to shove. You got it. I can never actually prove the customer received their product unless they admit in a conversation that it was received.

by: MLG Jewelry This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 06:53:26 2015

Endicia Scan Form. If you use endicia/dazzle, you can print out a scan form, your post office can scan the bar code and it scans all of your packages into the system.

by: Daisy909 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 07:02:30 2015

Why take the packages to the PO? My carrier scans mine on my porch before he puts them in his truck. Much easier!

by: stevel This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 08:27:02 2015

We started using the SCAN FORM when printing multiple labels from my awaiting shipment screen. The USPS clerks love this. One scan and their pieces per hour go up. We have two USPS branches the same distance away. One gives great service, and one poor service. So we always take our packages to the "good" service branch. We would rather help their numbers look good and they appreciate that and really treat us like a valued customer!

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 09:45:02 2015

Dang post office changed the collection time from 5:30pm to 2:15pm. If the carrier picks up the package and doesn't get back to the post office until after 2:15pm, it just sits in the back until the next day before it actually leaves town. I go to the post office about 1:45pm now to make sure everything I sell before that goes out the same day. I only have about 7-15 packages a day and the clerks at the window do mind scanning them for me, plus the post office is only 3 minutes away.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 10:22:33 2015

@Daisy909, my mailman drives a car (not a truck) and is 70+ years old. I wouldn't feel right making him pick up my many packages every day and in fact he probably wouldn't have room in his car.  USPS specifically states that they will not pick up packages that are not "Priority Mail" and I often use Parcel Select or First Class Package which does not qualify for pick up.  Dropping my packages off at the Post Office is the only logical solution.

Unfortunately the USPS hasn't taken any steps to make that drop off convenient for EBay sellers.  In fact at Christmas time I had to ask if I could back my car up to their back garage doors and drop off a carload full  every day instead of waiting in line inside the post office with a handful of packages and then going back out to get another handful and waiting in line again, which is what they require.  The USPS needs some type of dropping off station for all of the online sellers because I see them waiting in line every single day and it's ridiculous considering the number of online sellers now in existence.

by: G-and-A This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 10:42:16 2015

"USPS specifically states that they will not pick up packages that are not "Priority Mail"

I have read this several times on this blog, but I looked it up on USPS website, and it is not true.  It also says they will pick up packages on any regular mail delivery day (i.e. Saturdays included.)

My rural carrier also drives a car, but they regularly pick up media mail and first class parcel packages, as well as Priority.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Apr 23 10:52:01 2015

I also think the USPS should have a way to scan your packages when you drop them off at the PO.

I use the drop box often if my carrier comes earlier then expected and they don't get scanned until they reach the distribution center.

Maybe some type of conveyor that would scan the package as it went by and would reverse it if it couldn't be scanned.

I have to admit the USPS does a fantastic job. They've only lost 1 package in the 15 years I've been selling online and I've shipped over 30,000 packages in those 15 years.

by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 11:19:39 2015

WOW!!!

What negative responses to an idea who's concept is good! As many of us smaller Sellers have to work to avoid any dings that FleaBay will use to make more money. An acceptance scan is a must to ensure my 1 day handling time! I have on occasion dropped packages in the box and hadn't had a scan until the next day or worse! So I wait in line, luckily I just live around the corner.

Though for a number of issues as others noted above, I think...  here it comes!

A solution could be simply have a chute, where your packages would enter a conveyor and be taken inside. Where it would be scanned just as they are at every sort facility and then drop into a cart!

This would reduce the time customers would spend in the P.O. lines. Ensure your scan, you hope! They would then be able to layoff some workers and close some windows. This way you will not feel any difference, that is if you didn't chose the new and improved Self Service Post Office and waited in line!  :)

by: Enough Is Enough! This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 14:59:46 2015

HERE'S A REVELATION:

How about the USPS taking responsibility for their clerks doing their job and scanning the packages??

I dropped a package off last week that wasn't scanned, and therefore did not go into the tracking system. And I do not have time to wait in line for 1/2 hour- this is why we purchase online shipping labels, isn't it??

Had to deal with an irate buyer who doubted I even mailed his package. It went all the way cross-country before it showed up in tracking five days later. Cost me a lot of stress and grief!!

by: Sheshells This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 15:13:11 2015

I have thought for years that there should be a priority line for business customers, I go daily to the PO to have my outgoing packages scanned and receive an acceptance scan. I have to wait behind all of the people buying stamps, figuring out how to ship something and filling out forms...Actually, I think the PO should charge an additional fee if you need to use the postal clerks time for something you can figure out by going on the PO website or simply reading the forms at the PO..Every minute costs someone $$.  The way the PO is run encourage people to be lazy because they know the PO clerk is going to help them wrap a package or tell them how to fill out a form..those in line behind who have their packages ready to go must waste their time while the clerk helps the unprepared...I'd charge $1 for personalized service, at least.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 15:26:47 2015

Better idea would be for the post office to give all of us a scanner to take home.

That way we can scan our packages when we have time and then when we have time we can get them to the post office like once a week.

SLAP SLAP STUPID IDEAS