Tue Apr 21 2015 12:53:02

High-end Items on eBay Prone to Higher Rate of Deadbeat Buyers?

By: Reader

I've been on eBay for over 16 years and went through the easy-money heyday of the late 90's and all the ups and downs since then. But there has been a very troubling trend for almost a year now.

That is, most of my high-end sales are not being paid (75%+). Most of my sales are in the under $100 range and I almost never have a non-payer. But I do list some quality collectable art items in the $400-$1500 range.

It used to be that people who bought these items were serious buyers and always paid. But now I find most of them are not paying. I wait 2-3 weeks, send followup requests, then start the unpaid item process.

Many of these higher end items, which are bought by both U.S. and non-U.S. buyers, are sold with a BIN price and a Make Offer option. I used to have an auto accept price for Make Offer, but I have stopped that as I thought some buyers figured they may have been able to get a better price.

That may not be helping, as a recent sale of about $800, which I accepted several hours after it came in, has resulted in no payment or communication from the buyer now 10 days after sale.

In closing, this is a new phenomenon for me, and a very troubling one.
Craig

High-end Items on eBay Prone to Higher Rate of Dea   High-end Items on eBay Prone to Higher Rate of Dea

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Apr 21 13:04:14 2015

@Craig - You're lucky that your high-priced items are not being paid for. It would be much worse if the buyer paid, you shipped, and then the buyer filed a SNAD and you lost the money and your item (as has been reported here many times). Or you got your item back and it was damaged or had pieces missing. As many sellers have stated again and again, do not list expensive items on eBay because you are just setting yourself up for a loss (in one way or another). If you don't have your own web site, then find another marketplace to list your expensive items (eCrater, Bonanza, Etsy, Ruby Lane, etc.) where you can set your own policies and are not forced into accepting PayPal (with their delightful 180-day SNAD claim period).

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Apr 21 15:44:47 2015

OP says - ''I used to have an auto accept price for Make Offer, but I have stopped that as I thought some buyers figured they may have been able to get a better price.''

I'm confused here - so why do you have the ''Make Offer'' feature on your listings?

Not just the OP -  I always thought that was what the ''best offer'' feature was all about - buyers send an offer & seller responds yay or nay.  Lately, sellers usually ignore offers (5-10% less than asking price).  I'm puzzled that some folks who don't want offers don't just unselect the ''best offer'' button?

BTW - speaking of high end items - wonder how many of the marked-up Target Lilly Pulitzer items won't sell at that higher price, then come back to Target as a return. Or go unpaid like the OP's scenario.

I've never participated in person or online at a Target designer event. The news splashes I saw swung so negative, making resellers appear as - well, not very nice people. Stampeding and grabbing items out of children's (young teen's) arms!

'Course at least ONE venue is promoting the h3ll out of Lilly today!

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 21 17:54:59 2015

hi end items are for sure a problem for e**y thief's however you try to be safe it is a gamble weather you will loose money item or both never again sell on ebay!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue Apr 21 18:36:01 2015

I guess a deadbeat buyer is better than an e-shoplifter. Count your blessings. :-)

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 21 19:38:34 2015

There's a tremendous amount of "sport bidding" going on. These morons know there are no consequences to being a NPB [non-paying bidder]. There are simple solutions to this. First, if the bidder SELLS on eBay, there should be an AUTOMATIC RED DONUT generated. The FVF due on the item should be CHARGED to the NPB. It should also count as a 'defect' against his account. That would stop some of it. For those NPB's who don't list items, 2 UPI strikes should result in account termination and disqualification from opening a new account.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Apr 21 22:18:01 2015

Volvo351 states: "2 UPI strikes should result in account termination and disqualification from opening a new account."

That's what I used to say when I sold on eBay. I can understand that an emergency might arise that would take precedence over an eBay purchase, but there's no excuse for not paying a second time. Or third, or fourth... The policy used to be that three UPI strikes got an account suspended, but that policy seems to have disappeared once JD took over.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Apr 21 23:32:58 2015

@Volvo351,

One can only assume that eBay now has so few buyers, they cannot afford to offend even the deadbeat non payers—LOL ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: TeddyElectron This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 21 23:40:25 2015

You are waiting way too long to file an unpaid case and taking it too personally along the way. File an unpaid case wait the appropriate time and close it to get your fees back. Yes it takes your item off the market for 10 days, but it's better than waiting 2-3 weeks for no action. I no longer agree  to cancel transactions for the usual ''my son/daughter/cat/dog bid on it, sickness, etc. Leave your emotions out of it and move on.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Apr 22 01:14:19 2015

I second what Volvo351 says. If some one makes a commitment to buy it should be binding. If they do not follow through then they should be charged the FVF. That would surely end all of the NPD's on eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Apr 22 01:37:39 2015

@Bill,

For items other than those that by statute require an exchange of contracts in writing (eg real estate), a commitment to buy petty goods/services on eBay IS binding, and you could sue the defaulting buyer to force a completion of the sale; however, that is a time-consuming process, but it has been done where large amounts of money were involved. Of course, if eBay cared at all they could quite easily force the issue by at the least sanctioning the defaulting buyer, and the fact that they do absolutely nothing, is a clear indication that they simply don't care—about anyone but themselves.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Apr 22 09:02:38 2015

--- ''One can only assume that eBay now has so few buyers, they cannot afford to offend even the deadbeat non payers''

↑↑ Yes. This.

by: Surplus This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 22 09:33:21 2015

Wait 10 days for payment....Oh NO!! my experience says no pay or no contact in 48 hours means the buyer won't pay ever.  We will work with buyers who contact us, but no contact means we assume the worst.  And yes this is more common problem with high dollar items, because clearly the buyer did not have the funding or permission from the wife, banker, or whoever to spend the $$$.  We file item not paid claims after 4 days with Ebay.  If you don't pay then you go straight to the banned buyer list.  We don't play games with deadbeats.  Its real simple ''No pay once'' We never want to see you again.  Life is too short to deal with deadbeats.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 22 13:08:34 2015

I read somewhere there was a deadbeat bayer list for just such people, that have nothing better to do than buy and not pay then,,, at e**y request open new account under different cell phone number so the block list does not work

by: Motorbike_guy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 00:25:42 2015

"Surplus" is correct. We've moved to "Fixed Price BIN" for everything, no offers, and "instant payment required to complete the purchase" because we found that if not paid within 48 hours, at least 9 out of 10 wouldn't pay ever.

by: Joey4711 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 01:12:55 2015

Volvo351

Love the idea of the non paying bidder paying the final value fee, but here is what Ebay should do...have the buyer that didn't pay the FVF but give the seller half of it.  Just like sellers that cancel auctions Ebay takes the FVF what they should do if they gave a damn about customers who didn't get to keep going with the auction they should get a coupon to spend the half of the FVF. But you have to realize Ebay cares about Ebay.

Lastly, more fun is we can't charge the buyer a FVF he will do a chargeback see and than he might got to another venue and not pay his bills there that would be a problem lol

by: Daisy909 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 07:10:33 2015

I loved your reference to "the easy-money heyday of the late 90's". Yep, when 100% of everything sold and everyone paid asap. When you could start an auction at .01 cents, when things sold for more than they were worth, and customers were so nice. Aw, yes, the good ol' days on ebay...

by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 07:14:36 2015

@iheartjacksparrow Your schtick gets a little old at times.  eBay has its issues with the high end stuff, but I actually find most of the fraud is at the lower end.

My biggest transaction to date on a single sale is $17,500.  Most of the fraud buyers out there don't have the funds or resources to swing that size transaction

To the OP, there are a few trends I see.

1)  A lot less views and watchers.  In the last 3 years this has dropped 50% at least.

2)  A lot more NPB - On average I see 15 - 20% with buyers who are new to me.  Thankfully I have some good regulars.  This month I had 1 NPB for 2 items at $420 combined.  Last month was 3 NPB on 3 items for a total of around $3K

You want the NON-PAYING BIDDER PROCESS TO CHANGE????

IT IS EASY

DEMAND EBAY ONLY charge their FVF WHEN AN ITEM IS PAID.

Again... we need to DEMAND, THROUGH THE COURTS IF NECESSARY, that eBay only charges their FVF WHEN AN ITEM IS PAID FOR.

Ebay does not care because they make money on that float.

Tiem to take eBay to court, rectify that process and they should only be charging commissions when a sale is COMPLETED (i.e. paid for) given the rising number of non-payments.

Believe me.  Once eBay has to wait to collect FVF they will be more aggressive in taking care of NPB

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 08:51:46 2015

I remember the days of non-paying buyers and trying to get them to pay and going through this whole process including standing on your head to get your fees back. On ecrater, there is no such thing as a non-paying buyer. Ecrater is set up for instant payments. If the money doesn't come through with the order (rare now with PP Express) after a few hours I email the 'buyer' and ask if they need help completing the sale. 25% of the time they pay, 25% of the time they ask to cancel and the other 50% you never hear from them. The whole while that you are waiting to be paid, the item is still available for sale, no FVF has been charged. So after 24 hours of no payment I consider the 'order' as null and void. I don't sweat it. I don't agonize or fret about it. I hardly give it a moments notice, especially since I have a template for the email I send. Yet another happy thing about selling on ecrater--that ulcer maker is gone! :) Still very hard for newbies to accept when they come to ecrater. They are always out for blood. Me, in my email asking for help, etc. the last thing I do is invite them back to shop in my store again. Why? The next time they may pay. They are being treated as a responsible adult and it really isn't a big deal if they show up again. We want buyers. We don't want a system in place to chase them away.

by: songe-d-automne This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 23 08:55:21 2015

I'm with you Maui. It always sticks in my craw when ebay takes the FVF money before I even see a cent of payment.

And I've also got to add that most of my problematic transactions have been over items $10 or less.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Apr 23 10:37:24 2015

I sell about 100 items a month

Non payers are running about 1 a month or about 1%

Most of the time the non payers are for items under $50.