Sun Apr 19 2015 17:26:20

eBay Seller Sees Inflated Views in Listing Metrics

By: Reader

I have not noticed on your website the following new con from eBay: when I list an item I immediately check to see how many views it has. It immediately has from 3 to 7 views.

This happens on all my listings, even things that are of very little interest, or things listed at 1:00 a.m. Yet after a week usually my list views are the same or only slightly higher.

I'm selling the same types of things I sold one and two years ago and this did not occur. These view numbers are false, RIGGED. EBay is rigging these numbers to give us the impression that more people are viewing our listings that actually do.

Please confront eBay about this. I expect they will say it is a glitch. And yes, I am aware that eBay counts a view if I view my own listing, which if course is also fraudulent.
From,
Imbloated

eBay Seller Sees Inflated Views in Listing Metrics   eBay Seller Sees Inflated Views in Listing Metrics

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Apr 19 17:51:00 2015

Here's the real kicker - if all those false views do not lead to your items being sold, your items drop down in search and then are shortly on the way to be considered stale. I believe this is being done intentionally so ebay accrues more fees with relists. This is one of the main reasons I lost my powerseller and TRS+ rating.

If ebay would show the true view metrics, it would show ebay being on its way to becoming a ghost town when it comes to actual buyers visiting ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Apr 19 20:53:25 2015

Isn't this fraud?

Is eBay completely untouchable?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Apr 19 21:16:32 2015

Just another of eBay's demonstrable frauds on its consumers; but that's OK because eBay is a large corporate entity that contributes to the wellbeing of various politicians and their causes, I presume ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Apr 19 21:42:12 2015

@Rexford - Doesn't seem worse that taking listing fees from sellers and telling them right in the TOS that it's possible no one will ever see said listings. And it does seem that no matter how egregious eBay's actions are, lawmakers and the media just look the other way.

This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Mon Apr 20 00:26:10 2015

It's funny that this was brought up... just this week, after not listing anything for over 2 months, I decided to list about 20 items.  And immediately after listing, all of the items showed anywhere from 2 to 7 views... and that's pretty much where they still are.

This user has validated their user name. by: MJRock

Mon Apr 20 00:33:08 2015

Same here, anytime we list new items, immediately there are anywhere from 3 - 7 views right after the product is listed.  I've noticed this for months . . . was curious if this was happening to others as well.

by: nsc This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 20 00:34:28 2015

I'm not sure if the views are false per se. Cassini gives new listings a little burst of visibility to try to determine if they are "worthy" of remaining in the light or should sink down into the darkness, based on the amount of interest generated. At least that's been my observation. So the instant views are from saved searches and views during the initial period of visibility. But if your listing is judged unworthy, that's all the views it will get.

This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Mon Apr 20 00:42:20 2015

I just have a hard time believing that within 10 seconds of listing an item, I suddenly have 7 views... and then 2 hours later, all I have is those same 7 views.

This user has validated their user name. by: MJRock

Mon Apr 20 00:46:48 2015

@ nsc

As the OP said, even listings with little interest get the same immediate views.

These are the views at the EXACT time of upload.  There is no way someone else has viewed these faster than we do.  At the exact moment of upload when they become available on eBay, we refresh our items for sale until the new listings appear.  We check the views, and already 7 potential buyers have looked at our listing?  I don't think so . . . if that were the case, we would be selling ALOT MORE than we do now on eBay.

We have checked our listings for years like this, and we have always been the 1st or 2nd page view on our new listings.  Not anymore.  I'd say eBay's evil robots are boosting page views for some type of search manipulation of our listings, all to eBay benefit somehow . . .

by: LinneyPinney This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 20 00:54:07 2015

That has to do with the new listing being visited or crawled by ebay and whoever search engines they are automatically submitting to. If you tweet your new listing right after you submit it, you'll get about 10 more views from Twitter. If you pin the item, that will give you three to five. You can sit there and tweet the item, changing the tweet slightly, and getting retweets and get abo it 10 views per tweet. This is because Twitter visits the item and crawls it every time you tweet it. I have pushed a listing to over 200 views to see what happened. It gets rated as "hot" and gets a good position in search for a few hours. But, if it does not sell, that can work against you.

This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Mon Apr 20 00:58:32 2015

So what we're saying here is that the "views" counts are basically worthless and mean nothing.  We have no way of knowing if the "views" are real or the result of some bot.  How refreshing it would be to have the counts reflect the actual number of different REAL people that have viewed the listings.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 20 02:27:15 2015

I agree! I have noticed this for several months. I will list a listing, and then go to correct it within a minute or two, and Voila! it will have 2-7 views already. Not possible!

I have assumed for sometime now, that the Views listed are not realistic. They are nonsense. After all, Ebay doesn't want you to know that your item is getting zero views for over a week.

That company has no credibility anymore!

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 20 03:00:32 2015

I agree with LinneyPinney, it has to do with the automatic spiders and bots searching the listings. That's not a bad thing at all. At least you know your item is getting put out there. People also use saved searches. So when an item is listed people are being notified immediately through their phones/computers etc.
Then of course it counts you as a viewer when you click on it.

by: nsc This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 20 04:37:07 2015

One other possibility is that Cassini itself may be acting like a spider or bot, and generating "views" as it goes about its heuristics.

Here's another strange thing I've noticed: I list a good antique item at auction for 7 days. It gets little interest, much less than it deserves. Then when it ends without a bid, I put it in my ebay store (same price as the auction starting price), and bam! instant sale, sometimes with a message from a second buyer who wanted to buy it too. It's as if the auction listing was invisible to the buyers, which may indeed be the case.

Of course it's very frustrating knowing that you could have sold it for more, though I've learned not to start good items at low prices.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Apr 20 07:15:15 2015

Well said iheartjacksparrow.

That, at least in my eye, is stealing.

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 20 09:02:33 2015

Yes, these are false views from bots that are scanning our listings when they are listed to check for policy and listing violations and by cassini... They SHOULD NOT count as views in Omniture as they are false..

Also, take a look at the report on what items are viewed and you will also find that ebay counts views when YOU view or edit your own items.... So if you are doing a lot of reviewing and editing, you are creating false views.. So that shows that our low # of views is even MUCH MORE lower than reported...

PS: And one more thing on Omniture... If you are using the new store format it no longer reports on store visits. They are all zero since I actived the new store format, so I have no idea how store traffic is, but from my sales, its close to the ZEROS... SAD SAD SAD marketplace.....

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 20 09:21:43 2015

Each of the following will result in a VIEW on your items:

If you have people following a type of item that you listed OR if you have a search set to return results to you via email.

When ebay generates a report for your search criteria, that is posted as a view on the items generated in your report.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 20 11:55:37 2015

I was told that when an online business/organization really requires a live warm body to be the viewer or user, they require you to enter a code of characters in order to proceed.  I'm sure that you have all seen where the characters are jumbled and you must enter the exact combination before you can proceed.  This is required on the more secure and official sites and I was told that it's purpose was to make sure that the user was a live human being and not some spamware, malware, or a bot.  If that were used in these types of situations it would surely push away buyers and viewers.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 20 11:58:25 2015

To Frank F, I have tested your theory and it is not totally correct.  When you go into your listing it only counts as ONE view for that day.  If you go into the listing the next day it will generate another view but only one per day.  If you go into the listing multiple times in one day to view or to edit it will only count as one view for that day.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 21 08:59:23 2015

Yes, eBay LIES to customers [ie. sellers who pay the listing & FVF fees]. I have LONG noticed the practice of eBay attaching these phony "views" to newly relisted items. When I've commented about this on various blogs, respondants have speculated that it has to do with WATCH count on the prior listing. eBay sends out emails saying "an item you've been watching has been relisted." Of course, that accomplishes nothing. If they didn't buy before, they're not terribly likely to buy now. WATCH counts mean nothing, and VIEW counts mean even LESS. It's MONEY that Talks. All the rest is BS from The Hoe. He wants you to think your item is Red Hot and likely to sell any minute now. After what he's done to the "platform" we all know that's a lie. Sell-thru is pathetic.