Wed Apr 15 2015 17:26:18

Listing Off eBay Increases eBay Sales - Coincidence?

By: Reader

Thanks again for your site. I've been wondering about a search issue for a while. Just wanted to run it by you and see if you or David knew anything about it or maybe someone on the site.

(A brief backstory.) I've been on eBay for 6 years. Started my own website about 2 years ago. (Still having issues driving traffic to my site.) I sell new and used clothing.

I downgraded my eBay store to a basic one in February as I try to wean off eBay. I have been adding brand new listings to my eBay site off and on for about 6 months. Here's where it gets weird.

As I add an item to eBay, I also add it to my personal website. A few times, after adding an item to my personal website, it SUDDENLY and QUICKLY sells on EBAY. Basically, right out of the blue. Out of nowhere. (And the pricing on eBay is slightly higher than my website.).

Yesterday it happened again. The item is a high end designer raincoat that has been listed on ebay and my website for months. Yesterday I branched out and put a few listings on Tradesy (about 6) and the raincoat was one of them. I listed on Tradesy about 1pm (central) Tuesday afternoon. I wake up this morning and at 8am central the raincoat had sold ON EBAY.

So there HAS to be some kind of quirky search stuff going on with eBay. I changed the item eBay titles on both sites and changed up the listing description so it's not a word-for-word duplicate listing on the internet. For what's it worth, I did have ONE watcher on the raincoat.

I just think it's odd that eBay can't show my listings on its site, yet somehow it knows if I list the item on another site?

Any thoughts or ideas? It's driving me crazy.
Thanks,
Terry

Listing Off eBay Increases eBay Sales - Coincidenc   Listing Off eBay Increases eBay Sales - Coincidenc

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Apr 15 17:51:04 2015

Wow, that is interesting; still nothing surprises me about anything that happens on eBay; but, it can't be anything that eBay is doing, they aren't that smart ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Apr 15 19:45:20 2015

Interesting happenings... but I'm inclined to think it's merely a coincidence. As Philip noted, it's highly unlikely that the same programmers who can't build a functional search engine would be able to program anything that would detect your off-eBay listings.

Good luck with your sales. When I first left eBay, my initial sales were ''break-even'' or slightly below my best years at eBay... HOWEVER... for me, there was a great deal of value in the personal satisfaction in doing it myself, AND in not having to dread checking emails.

Even though I'm still struggling with holding a grudge and my resentment and sense of betrayal... those are slowly disappearing, and my overall attitude about selling has greatly improved compared to years past.

Running your own online store is definitely a challenge, and I hope you're able to get to a point where you have NO DOUBTS about the fact that diversifying AWAY from eBay is a good thing.

Happy sales!

by: Terry in Texas This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 15 21:35:10 2015

Annie, thanks for your support. it's been hard working my own site. it is very satisfying to have my own website but all the stuff to learn (SEO, google adwords, email campaigns, etc.) is very time consuming. and way more than i wanted to learn on my own.

i think google is just as evil as ebay.

my conspiracy theory mindset (only on this topic--ha ha) has me conflicted. while i don't think anyone at ebay is smart enough to pull this off, i can't help but wonder if google is involved somehow too. it's happened 4-5 times and that just seems like too many times to be sheer coincidence.

would be curious if any IT people out there have any comment on this.

THANKS!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Apr 15 23:47:42 2015

While Fox Mulder stated there was no such thing as a coincidence, I don't think eBay has the wherewithal to pull off something like what Terry describes. We're talking about glitch-a-day eBay, not a company that actually keeps their site up and running bug free. The fact that it took months for the raincoat to sell doesn't indicate that eBay is stalking Terry's web site.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 01:04:50 2015

Hmm maybe they do a search see the item on eBay and see that u list it for less on your website (assuprion is that you would),

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 02:00:45 2015

Are you using the same IMAGE on both sites?  Wonder of there is not some image scanning bots roaming around out there---

How is TRADESY working for you?  Need a place to actually SELL clothing etc!!!!

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 03:03:52 2015

I just joined and listed on Tradesy.  Their % is high!!! 9%.  If they're charging 9% one hopes that the items is high-end priced and will sell quickly.  But the same item(s) I have on Tradesy I have had on EB for the longest time.  So this is an experiment on my behalf to see if the same happens.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Apr 16 03:29:47 2015

Hmmm, "glitch-a-day eBay"; and I'm still receiving only a small fraction of my saved searches emails—sheesh ...

No emails—no buy ...

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 07:57:22 2015

The key to this is what you said: ''I changed the item eBay titles on both sites and changed up the listing description so it's not a word-for-word duplicate listing on the internet''

Nobody at Ebay cares enough to get jealous that you're dating another eccommerce site and suddenly give you enhanced exposure because of it. :)

by: retrolink This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 08:38:34 2015

check this out. from a past past veteran seller fom ebay ..when
i am looking for  suvs on different auto sites. all of a sudden i keep getting little ads about cars after that when i go on different sites.[not a ebay thing but a google bot thing] Ebay learned from that. I am 100% sure your theory on feebay  correct. they are pigs and so worried that someone else will get a sale that they have bots that will elevate your listing of [the raincoat] to the top of their search engine  when they detect it elsewhere. not to help you but to hurt a competitor even if its your own site. That is my gut feeling.It's bizarre but they are desperate now.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Apr 16 09:06:25 2015

I sell similar category to Terry.  I have also experienced the same thing in the past when listing on ecrater and Bonanza.  I would get several items listed on one or the other and then ''boom'' 2 or 3 of those would sell on eBay. It was eerie.

This was some time ago - back when sales were much higher.  At the time I just thought either eBay had better visibility or Google had some part to play in it.
Since then, Google has revised itself and eBay got Cassini.

by: Terry in Texas This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 09:37:26 2015

@Comet---yes, i'm using the same images on all sites. image scanning bots could be possible……no verdict on Tradesy. I just put my first listings on two days ago.

@Chicago48--the reason i listed on Tradesy was because the fees are EXACTLY the same as ebay. 9% commission plus 2.9% to handle payments. listings are free and can stay forever until sold. just a different, fresh venue. they even clean up my gallery photo. (there's some issues that need work--they generate title for you and it's extremely basic and you can't put in your own sizes)

@hopeforthebest--i have ''refreshed'' all my current (paltry amount) of ebay listings. i figured out if i relist through inkfrog, then my listings are always ''new''. that's what the free ebay promos are calling for these days. so i'm not sure how stale my raincoat listing was. i wonder if the fact that i had one person watching the raincoat provided some kind of link. so maybe there was a of trigger when i listed the coat on Tradesy.

i used Ebay's free auction promo last weekend. i listed 38 ''new'' items and the most views on any item has been 6. most are hovering around 2. so i don't think new necessarily pushed me higher up in search.

i agree that the ever glitchy ebay isn't smart enough to watch the entire internet. but google might be…...

by: Terry in Texas This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 09:40:05 2015

@ rachel--yes my prices are lower on my website but i'm not sure how searching/seeing my item on ebay would let a buyer see it for less on my website. when i have a sale on ebay, i ALWAYS include a flyer in the package to have the buyer check out my website. i include a 10% off coupon with the flyer.

by: 1stglobalwholesale This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 11:00:30 2015

I'm inclined to believe something that you are using, whether it's pics, paypal, an inventory management program, is linking the listings. You figure ebay doesn't make money if your product sells on another site.  They may have agreements with paypal or software companies so that if the titles or pics are the same for one user on two sites that info comes to them and their software bumps the listing to the top so that they get more money.  .....I don't have knowledge that this is the case but I definetely wouldn't put it past them.  Maybe try changing the titles back so that they are identical and see if sales go up on ebay.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 11:12:10 2015

I have noticed an a similar phenomenon. It is probably coincidence, but maybe not.

I have noticed when I have a good selling week on Bonanza, payments processed through Paypal, my Ebay sales in the days following tend to be very good. Last week I made a few large sales on Bonanza and mentioned to my wife that it might be the first week in which my Bonanza revenue would be larger than my Ebay revenue. The following few days I sold more than twice as much as I usually do on Ebay. At the end of the week Ebay marginally outpaced Bonanza.

I wondered if when Ebay notices a lot of revenue coming into my Paypal account from Bonanza if they then temporarily take my inventory off their rolling blackout schedule? I doubt Ebay has its act together well enough to manage programs like this, afterall in a technical sense Ebay is a hopeless mess, but if the same sales pattern repeats in the future I will really start to wonder.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 12:42:53 2015

To those who think that EBay is too stupid and inept to have the ability to track items on other sites, think again.  They may be too stupid but they are also too devious.  From my experience with EBay they will stoop to unimaginable levels and the entire company lacks common sense, values, and ethics.  This is not a company that would do the right thing and work hard to build a good and honest business.  EBay is a company that would lie, cheat, and steal its way to the top. I wouldn't put it past EBay one bit to spend more money and resources on ways to cheat than on ways to actually improve relations or reputation.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 16:19:47 2015

@Tornad0, Just to clarify my comment (and probably those of a few other contributors) it is not that I think Ebay management is not smart enough to conceive of these practices, and I do not think anyone familiar with Ebay thinks its management has even a minimal sense of ethics an honesty, the thing is that after seeing this group completely fail at everything they have ever attempted it is hard to believe they possess the competence to organize and pull off a complex program like this.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Apr 16 18:59:58 2015

"Ebay management has given us every reason in the world to feel comfortable in under-estimating their ability to do anything well."

I'll second that ...

by: Eagle This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 16 21:43:16 2015

We've been experiencing the same thing on Etsy? Our prices on Etsy are $10-$15 higher than our website, yet we are selling more of the items on Etsy, for more money. No complaints here!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Apr 17 07:25:42 2015

hopeforthebest says "Your listing got stale and fell down through the search rankings to the bottom where nobody saw it. When you refreshed/changed it, Ebay saw it as a new listing and bumped it closer to the top again. People saw it, and bought it."

Isn't it ridiculous that one actually has to refresh a listing to get it to sell? It likely would have sold some time ago but it has been hidden because it wasn't "refreshed".  More eBay nonsense.