Sun Apr 5 2015 09:36:16

eBay Sellers Say PayPal Email Bug Is Wreaking Havoc

By: Reader

I would like to make you aware of a problem that we have been facing now since Wednesday 4/1/2015 with the Pay Pal e-mail notification system. While many, I am sure will find that this is not an issue - the deeper root cause and the time and money wasting due to this issue is piling up.

Also the poor clarity of Pay Pal and the management have not revealed to the public the issue or what the cause of the issue might be. Has Pay Pal been hacked?? A problem with like this and the longevity of the issue can only mean that someone got into their system and has created a problem that they cannot figure out or resolve. So here is the issue:

Sometime on Wednesday 4/1/2014 we stopped receiving e-mail notifications of payments that were made for eBay purchases. We currently have over 16,000 listings and process approximately 40 - 60 orders a day.

We as many others, do depend on the e-mail notification from Pay Pal that an item has been paid.  We all know that we can go into eBay and see the transaction as well as print a packing list or invoice so, you ask, why is the Pay Pal e-mail so important?

Because the buyer can add notes to their payment or change the address on their payment that you WILL NEVER see if you do not log into your PayPal account or have the notification e-mail. So if a customer writes - PLEASE SEND ATTENTION TO - JOE at 201 - you will never see that and the item goes out without the special notes.

Customer never gets the item, complains to eBay and tells then - OH WE PUT THE NOTE ON THE PAYMENT RIGHT HERE IT SAYS TO ADD NOTES - eBay will agree and negative feedback or a defect will occur. NOTHING will be removed!!!

We offer one day shipping - so now we have to take the time to check every order for dates and go into to eBay and print an invoice for every transaction that is missing. If you depend on the e-mail that an item has been paid, then you will not ship on time and again a defect!!

Since eBay does not have a bulk print feature that means accessing every purchase and printing.  We also use the PayPal payment as a packing list so the customer knows what they are getting and where it is from. As of 8:15AM EST Sunday 4/5/2015 we have 82 orders waiting to ship for Monday with 33 PayPal notifications. That is problem #1.

Problem #2 - Since we sell only on eBay, ALL of our funds are processed through our PayPal account. Needless to say both my wife and I have PayPal debit cards. When we make a purchase, we receive an e-mail of the transaction. Well since there has been very limited e-mails we do not get notification of charges.

Monday 3/30/2015 one of our cards was compromised and someone charged $200.00 at 2 different stores in Ohio. We live in South Florida. I was notified within minutes via e-mail of the transactions and I was able to call PayPal to kill the card and reverse the charges immediately and not have any more than $200.00 removed from my account. Now I have to log into my account 10 times a day to check for suspicious activity!!

So since there has been not clarity from Pay Pal about the issue - I would think that all users of the system should know what is going on. When will this be fixed? Why did this happen? Has Pay Pal been hacked? If so what was stolen and what do we need to do to protect ourselves?

This is 4 days now so if they were hacked the people that have ALL our personal information now have a 4 day head start. We all need to know what is going on so hopefully you can find out!!
Doug

From the Editor: This problem was reported on Ecommerce EKG. We reached out to eBay and PayPal by email and phone on Friday afternoon and have received no response.

eBay Sellers Say PayPal Email Bug Is Wreaking Havo   eBay Sellers Say PayPal Email Bug Is Wreaking Havo

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 5 10:45:09 2015

I have had this happen to me also. This was about 5 months ago. I called Paypal, opened a ticket with them-they said they'd look into it and I never heard back from them again. However MY problem seemed to get fixed after a while. Call Paypal-keep calling them and get a supervisor.At the time they said it was a bug they were aware of.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Apr 5 14:49:27 2015

PP has always had a clunky web interface, and like the OP explains, it was easier to rely on email notifications rather than logging-in to PP every time, and having to click-click-click to navigate and finally be able to print ONE (1!) notification at a time.

Most of the time it worked, but occasionally the emails were delayed, and I'd have to trudge through the PP site to confirm that the payment had indeed cleared (and that it wasn't an e-check).

One of the more annoying things was how PP would regularly re-format and re-word their email notifications. --- I supposed that this was a pet-peeve of mine that didn't have an affect on very many people... but every time they changed the format and wording of their email notifications, it would ''break'' the semi-automated system that my husband had created for me.

He'd written email filters and macros that could quickly sort PP's payment confirmation messages into the correct folder. And if the email contained certain keywords in the body of the message, the email was automatically sent to the printer.

How wonderfully easy it was to have my email program checking messages in the background (and overnight) and then to automatically print out the receipt!

It worked great until PP started to change the wording, subject line, or layout of the notification emails. Inevitably, the word or phrase that they changed was something that my husband's ''macro-script'' or email filter relied upon. (And in order to get it working again, he'd have to re-tweak the program so that the keywords and phrases matched the ones that PP was currently using.)

I know, ''poor me'' right? ;-)

This little annoyance was definitely minor in comparison to the things that others have had to put up with... but it does illustrate how even the most minor ''improvements'' aren't really improvements at all. And that change-for-the-sake-of-change can have a cascading effect that creates more problems than someone imagined it might be solving.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Apr 5 18:49:53 2015

This happens approximately once a year, and PayPig never seems to demonstrate any sense of urgency to fix it.

Mine were just running 3-4 hours behind the ebay sales notification.

Just think how many more millions the CEO might be earning if PayPig were actually a well run platform.

But he certainly is being well rewarded for sub standard mediocrity.

by: Jane Dough This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 6 00:06:54 2015

I fixed all my ebay and paypal problems by closing my paypal account. I was surprised how easy it was-no questions asked, no delay. No more ebay and paypal BS for me!

by: Jane Dough This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 6 00:55:55 2015

I solved my ebay & paypal problems by closing my paypal account so that I never have to put up with the BS ever again. It did not even ask if I was sure I wanted to do that. I would have been on there for 18 years in October. As we say in Oregon "not no more"!

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Apr 6 01:14:37 2015

"PayPig"...best laugh all day!

This user has validated their user name. by: gettingby

Mon Apr 6 01:47:35 2015

This is definitely an ongoing problem, and frustrating even when the email isn't essential to smooth business operations.

Over the past several weeks (maybe longer) I've either received the PayPal email many days after the sale/order email from eBay; or not at all.

Last week, I received several PayPal emails and had not received email from eBay. I wasted time checking into it, only to discover that these were payment notifications for sales that had been shipped, received, and feedback left by the buyer.

I use a sales management software that downloads the sales and payments automatically, so I don't rely on the eBay or PayPal emails ... but since the eBay/Paypal APIs occasionally disrupt this process,  receiving several payment notifications that weren't reflected in my software created a minor panic until I verified that these were, in fact, for old sales.

I agree with Annie -- change-for-the-sake-of-change is irresponsible and disruptive, and all too frequent. The redesign of the PayPal website was ridiculous and caused it to be less user-friendly. Want to see the net proceeds from a received payment, or a running balance? What used to be on the opening page now requires several steps. The opening page is now an advertisement. Click one (after log in) provides a ''simple view'' with payments received, but no net or running balance. Click two (a right arrow) will provide the net proceeds, but no running balance. To get a running balance requires going to the selections at the bottom of the page, clicking ''classic site'', then selecting ''all activity with balance'', which at least does provide the net in addition to the running balance. What a pain, to get what used to be on the page immediately after log in. I fail to see any benefit to this new design.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

by: Not A FOOL This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 6 07:54:52 2015

I'm experiencing the same and PayPal rep as usual would not confirm any issues. Average turn around time for payment notification was 4-5 hours.

by: Jus_e This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 6 08:05:22 2015

I do recall an email sent out from Paypal regarding some kind of issue, I am going to try and find it. Ok, I found the email but no link to the direct issues. The title of the email: ACTION MAY BE REQUIRED: Important information regarding upgrades to merchant integrations. Do a search for that title in your email, it may help.

by: jdltreasures1 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 6 11:11:11 2015

So another call to pay pal this am.  We are going on 5 days of e-mail notification failure.  The response from pay pal today is "WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND WE HAVE NO IDEA WHEN IT WILL BE FIXED".  We have 120 orders this AM with 40 Pay Pals.  No clarity of the issue and why this is happening. Why has Pay Pal not responded to inquiries??  Why is there nothing on the site about the issue??

by: toyman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 6 11:23:14 2015

It is actually a problem that has gone on for years. (It used to be really bad 10-12 years ago)

The problem was that it would only be a few here and there that weren't sent, just enough so that you would start to trust them, then you'd get burned by not knowing something had been paid for and needed to be shipped, getting a nice Neg or Neutral from the buyer for delayed shipping.

I have been able to overcome the problem by using Endicia's Dazzle system. It records all the Pay Pal payments in it's system, so if it doesn't matchup with the ones I have from Pay Pal, I can go check to see what happened.

I still don't get every notification from Pay Pal (??), but, at least now, I have a backup.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 6 11:38:06 2015

Has anyone seen the new Paypal television commercial? I have never before seen an advertisement so focused on tight security as that one.  In fact the commercial shows a vault with locks indicating that no one can hack into or compromise Paypal.  I wonder how they can offer such a guarantee these days where hacking is a common occurrence for all companies, especially the larger ones.  What could Paypal have for security measures that protects our information more so than other companies such as google and Apple?  The television commercial gave me the impression that Paypal has some special new age type of security that no other financial organization has.  But how can that be considering one of the biggest issues these days is security breaches and hacks? I cannot see how Paypal could have better security than the biggest companies in the world like Apple or Google or banks like Wells Fargo.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 7 13:00:56 2015

We can only hope that eBay will stop virtually forcing its sellers to accept PreyPal / PayPig.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 7 15:11:56 2015

as usual ebay will not respond, first time someone reported this lol been there heard that before typical ebay read from the chart stuff

by: spirit-of-shiloh This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 26 03:29:48 2015

I wonder if after PP and eBafia depart if we can once again accept P.O. Mo's,personal checks,etc.? Imagine Prey Foe not getting their grubby hands on our money that they take from every payment.

by: smoker This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 9 21:57:10 2015

Someone experienced a problem related content of the paypal notification email?
...when selling on ebay
I was getting ''payment received'' email from ppl with all info about the order(transaction).
Now I have ppl ''buy now'' button on my website, and ppl notification email comes like ''You just got paid'' and gives only buyer's Full Name, Price, Transaction ID. NO INFO ABOUT WHAT WAS SOLD, NO BUYER EMAIL, NO ADDRESS, NOTHING!
Could not find any complain like mine in whole internet, please post if you have experienced this.
P.S. I do sandbox tests - all notifications shows all info I need. Live - NO.