Wed Mar 25 2015 19:46:43

The Care and Feeding of Multiple eBay Stores

By: Reader

I'm new to your blog and wish I had known about it years ago. Nonetheless, I've been catching up every chance I can get. I am an eBay top seller (power seller) for the past three years. Not so much Amazon, dabble a little. Just pulled out of FBA as my product mix didn't work well there.

I am writing to share something I wrote today and sent to my eBay friend. She said that I need to share it with other eBay sellers so I decided to write to you. With all the frustration and stress that gets posted, here is something that might lighten things up a little...

Pet Peeves - Managing Multiple eBay Stores

It just dawned on me that for someone who has no pets - in reality I have five! Five eBay Stores, that is.

Each pet needs fed and watered every day. And, when they don't, I get little to no love. They need groomed (listings tweaked), they need checkups (prices rechecked) and they need walked (listings ended, sell similar).

They require a lot of attention. Sometimes they are demanding (offers). Sometimes they are lazy (slow to pay) and sometimes they ignore me (don't pay and don't respond) AND sometimes they crap all over my place (negative feedback) and leave me to clean up the mess (physically and emotionally).

Did I say that Pets are a LOT of work and require a lot of attention? But they are my pets. And, I do love them. And most days, they love me back. It's tough being the caretaker of so many rambunctious pets. I don't know how I'd manage kids too! Kudos to those who do.

Ahhh...the grand ideal of unconditional love. I do try. My "pets" are challenging but rewarding (most days).
MS

The Care and Feeding of Multiple eBay Stores   The Care and Feeding of Multiple eBay Stores

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Mar 25 22:21:33 2015

Clicks "like". ::thumbsup::

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 25 23:50:06 2015

I am a pet owner and lover.  However, if I had a pet like ebay, I would take it out back and shoot it..lol

This user has validated their user name. by: MJRock

Thu Mar 26 00:37:31 2015

eBay is a pet alright, a Bassett hound that eat's it's own poop and doesn't know any better . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Mar 26 01:26:07 2015

:-)

by: Just My Humble View This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 01:34:52 2015

I'm wondering how you get past the eBay Stores Subscription Terms of Service which states, in part: "At any given time you can only have one active Stores subscription across all sites."

I've wanted to open an additional store, but worried about violating the terms and having eBay suspend my accounts. Suggestions? Advice?

by: Native NYer This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 01:52:30 2015

Unfortunately Ebay (rabid pitbull) likes to bite the hand (seller) that feeds it

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 01:55:08 2015

Love you Ina.

I can only assume you didn't get many letters today if THIS is the one that made the "cut".

LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Mar 26 02:56:10 2015

@justthefacts

The OP's pets aren't Ebay, they are their various stores on Ebay.  Most of the issue they describe are what sellers need to do to make sure their inventory and pricing is accurate.  Just part of the job no matter what site you are selling on.

@just my humble view

You left off the last three words of that sentence which are very important and completely change how you presented it.

PER USER ID.

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 03:29:19 2015

I totally agree with MS. As a seller on eBay since 1998, a store since 2004, I've been through all the strenuous changes at eBay.

Luckily (and I don't remember how) I stumbled unto a eBay certified trainer and subscribed to her classes quite a number of years back. She is no longer a eBay trainer, but I'm still her subscriber and still learning.

With positivity, rather than all the negativity I read here, she taught me how to deal with each new policy (rotten to the core as some were) to get positive results.

Everything MS said about taking care of those pets is being done and has paid off.

While many on here are whiners and quitters, I have managed to make my efforts pay off. It's not easy, sometimes very stressful and demanding, but that pet loves me back.

Everyday I end some old listings and do sell similar and revise them a bit, or add new ones. Sales pick up each time. If I don't do that feeding each day with some new to eBay listings, sales slow or can come to a halt.

Success takes grit and determination. My pet responds to that. And I live off of that.

KUDOS to you MS.

by: Floria This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 05:26:25 2015

Ebay is a big old nasty bloodsucking bat.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Mar 26 05:26:34 2015

My eCrater store is much less needy than my Ebay store.  Less needy and no stress.

Who has the time for all the busy work eBay creates. eCrater = list, add attributes, done.  No relists, no sell similar, no rewriting titles, no jumping through ridiculous hoops to rewrite listings that might not be seen even when you do all of that over the top "nurturing".

by: cosqueen This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 06:26:42 2015

Ina, I personally would LOVE to hear more good news like this story.  It is stressful selling on-line regardless of which venue, and it is hard work much like having children and pets.  It is also stressful and disheartening to always read negative stories followed by more negative comments.  Thank you OP for writing this!

by: BJJ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 10:24:24 2015

Love the letter, MS! Having a negative attitude toward eBay (which I have certainly been guilty of in the past) does nothing to improve my business and puts me in the victim role. Purposely taking a more lighthearted view, like the one in this letter, makes a huge difference in how I think, feel and interact with my customers. eBay is just a platform. They don't run my business, I do!
More positive letters like these, please!!

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 11:14:23 2015

This writer, and "Just Plain Irritated" above, are the sellers who automatically roll over and play dead, happily giving refunds to the crooks and thieves who go on to steal from other unknowing sellers.  These are the sellers who "blow off" the crooks and thieves while chalking it up as an "expected" loss, all the while doing nothing to help prevent the crimes that daily occur on EBay which harms every seller on EBay.  These are the same type of people who would rather look away from crimes for their own happiness and self preservation at the expense of others, including the consumers.  These are the types of people who are not leaders but who are followers who are more focused on greed than they are helping others or preventing crime.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Mar 26 11:22:49 2015

I agree with Rexford 100%. Who has time for all the eBay hoop jumping? I certainly do not! I would much rather spend my time taking photos (or scans) of my items and listing them for sale on eCrater than tweaking titles and all the other time-consuming stuff eBay sellers are forced to do to (hopefully) be seen in search results.

If an eBay store was like a pet, it would be a blood-thirsty Chupacabra, ready to attack when you least expect it (i.e., new policy with no warning, "glitch," unwarranted defects, or unfounded SNAD claims).

by: lmmvirago This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 11:59:42 2015

Kudos to MS and JustPlainIrritated for their comments. Just like those who are down on eBay, those of us who like eBay are entitled to our opinions. I'm happy to see some positive comments as a counter balance.

As JPI said, the policies can suck at eBay but we learn to make it work so that we can have a successful business.

And boo to Tornad0sRul who has made assumptions about people like us without ZERO proof. I get hit with false claims and I fight them. Am I always successful? Nope. But that's part of the cost of doing business just like shoplifters are a part of B&M stores. You do everything you can do to conduct your business under adverse conditions but the bottom line is you keep focused on your business and those things you can control.

by: Just My Humble View This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 16:02:51 2015

@ Marie

I can't find the words ''per user id'' anywhere in the full terms of service as revised in April 2014.

Where did you find it?

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 19:28:43 2015

@bjj
this is an absolutely false statement ''They don't run my business, I do!''
Ebay used to be a ''platform'' they no longer are, they do run your business to a large extent.  You can be a TRS, 100% fb, they have mysterious selling limits on your account, that you only become aware of after you've invested $100,000 in inventory, hoping to grow your business, and you find out.....no, no, no you have a mysterious limit, that they aren't willing to disclose how they came to the conclusion.  They have the dsr's, where a person can affect your business because they didn't read the item description, when they decide to show your listings. You don't get exposure for the period you paid for, that's plain wrong.  I could go on and on. Those are just a couple of examples. So if you think you're running your business....wake up
I'm willing to bet, many of the sunshine posters on here only sell on a limited basis and don't depend on ebay income.  Some of us do.
I've been selling since 99, I've had my personal cs rep, gold ps, trs, 100% fb. I've always rolled with the punches, but these past few years, they've destroyed the site.
Call me whiner, whatever. I know what I'm talking about.

by: wellspring This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 20:38:19 2015

Personally, it was nice to read something lighthearted for a change.  What I can't figure out is why so many people who dislike (that is being generous) eBay so much continue to spend so much time venting (posting) about it. As to sunshine posters being part-timers? As a full-timer (TRS) on ebay, I have had my share of of issues, frustration and anger but I still choose to stay on the sunshine side. Hmmm, I even had a cat years ago named sunshine. Pets--people--ebay--if you don't like--leave it.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Mar 26 22:36:08 2015

Wish I could take the life is a bowl full of cherries approach when it comes to ebay, but the reality is unless you distance your business away from ebay, ebay will put most sellers through the wringer. Ebay is more work than any other venue because it no longer ''just a venue''. Ebay IS the version of when pets attack.