Sat Mar 21 2015 23:55:15

What eBay Meant to a Recovering Shopaholic

By: Reader

I don't know if you've seen this article (in Racked.com) but thought you might share it with your readers. And, that perhaps, eBay management will see it and wind back the clock a bit, so to speak.

The writer points out that eBay is/was a community, self-policed, etc. She characterized everything I felt five or ten years ago about the site.

Best,
D.

What eBay Meant to a Recovering Shopaholic   What eBay Meant to a Recovering Shopaholic

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Mar 22 15:16:00 2015

Nothing has the possibility of being rolled back until JD is out the door and even then it is doubtful.  It really does appear that he despises small sellers.  I'm guessing the more he reads about how much small sellers despise him the more hateful and heavy handed he becomes.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 22 23:26:10 2015

eBay = VAMPIRES
Sellers = cattle

When the vampire masters are hungry, they swoop down and grab a fat cow.

Thats Pierre's eBay in 2015.

eBay will never stop eating/stealing from sellers until theres no heard left.

But because "mom & pop America" think eBay is the best thing since sliced bread and keep comming in droves - the heard will always be there.

Id love to put a stake in the vampire heart ....

by: cosqueen This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 23 08:13:40 2015

Thank you OP for sharing this lovely article.  It's encouraging to read something nice about Ebay now and then.  Call me naive but i have hope for Ebay to someday turn it around and make amends with both sellers and buyers.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Mar 23 10:34:45 2015

Jessica (the Racked article author) doesn't state when she was selling her clothing on eBay, but I have to think it wasn't recently. Would any buyer nowadays send a message other than, "You said it was peacock blue, but it's obviously teal blue. I'm filing a SNAD claim." Also, if she was getting $12 for items she purchased for over $100, she must have been starting her auctions at 99 cents.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 23 10:48:34 2015

This is simply a story about the effects of mental disorders, illness, and dysfunction. Hoarders, shopaholics, those who overspend, those who cannot manage money, and those who are poor but who must have the "best name brand" of everything, all have underlying mental disorders that cause those results.  In fact it has been established that those who are irresponsible with money have underlying mental afflictions that cause the behavior.  Fix the deep, underlying issues and you will naturally become more responsible with money.

by: Grandma_Fish This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 23 19:54:05 2015

@Tornad0sRul - Wow...just wow.

by: ConnecticutGal This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 25 02:43:12 2015

Jack Sparrow, I recently sold a unique antique bronze  and the day after the buyer received it, he sent me a one-liner which said, "I thought you'd like to see my haiku of the day."   So I clicked on the link which brought me to his Wordpress blog and sure enough there was a haiku about the bronze.  It was perfect and captured the essence of the antique in a way I could never have imagined.  I was blown away.  He also speaks and reads Japanese and was kind enough to have a look at a marking on another piece I have.  My sales are way off since last March but I must say that nearly all of my buyers are delightful.  Not all leave feedback but I often get an email telling me that they love what they bought.  Now if only eBay would just let me run my business the way I was able to five or six years ago, I'd be very happy.  I've got 100pc feedback and am about to lose TRS because I'm under 100 sales for the year, and this despite my asp being higher so total volume is the same.   I love my customers and just wish I could run my eBay biz the way it makes sense for me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Mar 25 07:18:49 2015

Grandma_Fish,

:) Truly a WOW!

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Mar 25 14:34:20 2015

@ConnecticutGal
This is exactly what happened to me. I was TRSP for years but through ebay's attrition my feedback dropped to under 100 for the 12 months. I tried to keep up to no avail and lost my TRSP, discount and powerseller status. Now I have an above standard rating and still get ebay's promotions, for what their worth. I no longer have the joy or the incentive to sell on ebay.

Today's ebay is oppressive, hostile, stressful, convoluted and NOT for the people and community. Sad to see this once prosperous, fun site taken over by bumbling arrogant greedy fools.

Sorry to go OT. Related I was an eBayaholic and shopped to excess to put items up for auction on eBay. 13 years of my life consumed by ebay. At least I feel I am on the road to recovery and live for the day when the word ''eBay'' means nothing.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Mar 25 19:54:42 2015

Correction: sales dropped to 100 for 12 months

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Fri Mar 27 22:21:49 2015

''Things that I had paid over $100 for were selling for around $12.''
Yeah, she sold it on eBay...