Wed Mar 18 2015 16:08:38

Why Does Everyone Have to Be on Facebook?

By: Reader

Re: Facebook Buys TheFind, Sellers Lose Source of Traffic (link to article)

I do have an account with The Find which will now end as I am not going to join Facebook to keep it up.

The Find was independent - no favoritism - no fees, icon w/link on my website, free page for advertising, perfect for antique dealers who have no money for advertising, including me. My stats on my website show many visitors from The Find, so yes, I and all those that get traffic will miss it.

Why does everyone just have to be on Facebook? There are plenty of us that are not. I hope that this does not happen to "Every Place I Sell" as well, or other free pages I "advertise" on.

I will miss The Find.
D.J.

Why Does Everyone Have to Be on Facebook?   Why Does Everyone Have to Be on Facebook?

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 18 16:32:04 2015

Some people need to let everyone know what they are doing in order to be happy....so they join Facebook.

I'm not sure what is worst Ebay or Facebook but there is a very close second.

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 18 18:16:13 2015

I am a firm believer in the saying "adapt or die" when it comes to business. 20 years ago businesses were saying "why is everyone going online?". Now it is hard to find a business that isn't. If they didn't, they likely don't exist. Social media is the wave of the future. All sites can get hacked. And they do.

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 18 18:16:14 2015

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 18 19:20:05 2015

Just remember folks what you post on the internet will still be there long after you are dead.....So don't post anything you don't want to haunt you until you die.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Mar 18 20:02:37 2015

"Say it forget it, write it regret it."

It absolutely amazes me how many people live their lives on Facebook. I joined a few years back to participate in a Disney contest. I have never posted a thing to my own account as there's nothing I do that would be of any interest to anyone. I belong to a Disney collectors' trading/selling group which is the only account I've ever posted a message to.

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 19 00:56:12 2015

I agree with aim04744, you have learn to adapt or your competitors are going to take all that business while you sit there and complain. You join a place like facebook because there are millions of buyers there that you can connect with. Its like saying why do you go to the swap meets? Besides picking up more product, Networking & connections.

by: windycityparrot This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 19 01:10:21 2015

because when I go to my summer campground and see my friends have left a light on in their trailer, but they are in Arizona for a week - I can "Facebook" them whereupon they will tell me where the key is, I can turn off the light and everyone lives happily ever after. Facebook is the only place you can do things like this

by: felinefeline This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 19 03:00:44 2015

who wants to yell across the alley when on holiday don't you go away for a rest

personally I do not want the world and his wife sidling up saying wanna be your friend which is what happened when  I did join years back

soon ended that

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 19 04:11:37 2015

[Quote]As a seller of antiques and a website designer for small businesses, I have absolutely refused to join Facebook because they get hacked and are an invasion of privacy. [/Quote]

Seriously? "They" got hacked? You really need to check your facts.

Seriously? Its an invasion of privacy? You are exhibiting extreme paranoia.

No one "has" to do anything - but, if you want to be in business, then, you might want to follow the old adage "When in Rome, do as the Roman's do".

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 19 04:28:56 2015

Personally I have been very active on FB for years and never had a problem. I am selective and protective on who I friend and I post little or no personal information to the public or to friends outside of private messages and even then nothing revealing.

People get hacked everywhere on the net. The right protection helps a lot. It took some time for me to find the right type of protection, habits and security measures and early on I was hacked on other sites including my email. But after honing my methods I have been hack free/virus free for 8 years. Nothing is unhackable but somethings make your chances small because the effort needed is not worth the reward. Their are way to many soft targets out there and most individuals are just not a good target unless it's personal. That's why I do not try to be vindictive or adversarial on the web. You might just run into a novice hacker that might take his little skill out on you for spite.

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 19 05:38:11 2015

Facebook selling is rapidly taking over and replacing eBay sales as small sellers discover how much more hassle-free it is as compared to eBay's micromanagement.

by: charcorvet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 19 05:44:58 2015

Well if that's your criteria for where to join - "they got hacked" GET OFF OF EBAY oh and Social Security and DOD and EVERY bank ever in the last 20 years.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 19 07:25:35 2015

Have there been reports or data collected to show that FB works for sellers?  I recall some companies took their fb pages down because they didn't see any change between having a FB page and their own home web site.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Mar 19 07:48:28 2015

If one owns a mobile phone one has given up one's privacy.  Facebook is no different.  If one uses a search engine there is no privacy.

No one makes you join Facebook and no one makes you carry a mobile phone.

I have no expectations of privacy anymore.  If someone behind the curtain wants to read my drivel go for it.

Do I long for the days of privacy?  Yes.  Is that realistic?  No.

And how can we expect politicians who call Twitter "The Tweeter" to pass laws that protect us.

by: tradernick This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 19 08:35:04 2015

Facebooks targeted advertising is creepy and I resent being tracked and watched (although I am aware that it's happening throughout our society and not solely on FB).  I'm only on FB to monitor my kids and their friends.  Anything you say on FB can be viewed by millions of people...forever.  Potential employers can and do check your FB to see what kind of person you are based on your comments, activities and likes.  If you're ever in trouble with the law, they can and will check FB and use anything there as evidence against you.  Hackers can glean enough info about you to aid them in determining your passwords and security questions...i.e., what high school did you go to?, and other personal info that you gladly post freely on FB.  I cherish the idea of staying in touch with distant friends and family, but willfully posting information about yourself that someone can use against you now or in the future just isn't wise.  Many teens post pictures of their new Drivers License, as do people that move to a new state, and that's just dumb since it has your address and your date of birth.  In Australia, a young girl was helping her Grandmom count money and posted a picture of some cash, and her house was robbed hours later (nobody was home, she was at Grandmas).  Things like this happen all the time.
So use FB and enjoy it but be careful and SMART about what you put there.  Even Ancestry.com can be used against you, since scammers can learn enough about your family to convince you they're long lost family members.  Same goes for Twitter, Shapchat, Instagram, and all present and future forms of social media...be very careful about what you post for the world to see...because the world is watching.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Thu Mar 19 08:39:25 2015

Right now I'm on the fence.

I belong to a few collectors groups which my wares would be of interest. I see a few people hawking theirs. The question for me is how to present myself and my merchandise and give the (correct) impression that I'm a class act. I don't want to appear as a used car salesman or a presenter on QVC, or a spammer (hey kiddies, look what I dragged in in the last 10 minutes since my last post...).

Maybe starting with a collectible I know will sell & go from there.

In any case, it looks like the winds are starting to blow from another direction. Five years from now, I guess I'll be laughing at the obvious.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 19 08:39:29 2015

I don't have the time to be messing around with FB generally. I do have a business account and a personal one which helps me keep up with friends and family. I don't feel the need to post everything about myself on there though. If I am going to spend time on social media, it will be Pinterest where I can promote my goods and store ideas for my hobbies and other things that interest me. On FB I have about 135 followers and on Pinterest almost 13,000. Obvious where my heart lies! Pinterest is more than a place to post as well, it has helped bring in sales. If you sell on line only, you can't afford to ignore social media. Just find one that you like and focus on it.

I've only ever heard of Find, but have never used it intentionally as a way to promote. I guess I thought it was just a search engine.

by: booklover27 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 19 08:59:27 2015

I'm not on Facebook and will never be...good job!  Privacy is dead with the internet....

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Mar 19 09:56:32 2015

I closed my FB account last year.  Leaning more to being a hermit crab than a social butterfly, I did not use it to spread details of my life, but rather to follow a couple newsfeeds - a Naval aircraft carrier and a Basset Hound rescue.

Just leaving a comment like ''congratulations'' could fill my email box in a VERY intimidating way.  SO, I stopped commenting on anything and I always tried to have my settings in a ''leave me alone'' mode.  It seemed very hard to do so as I never seemed very ''left alone'' judging from my email box.

When I thought the settings were private, FB would change something that seemingly undid my privacy.  I simply gave up. I have not missed FB at all, but it was a very, very small part of my life.

I have considered opening a FB page in my business' name. But due to the above experience, I worry about not being able to control things to the point that my business name would be affected.  So I have held back.  But I have also had some of my customers ''ask'' me to join FB. So I have to consider someone may be looking for my business on FB.

From a different standpoint:  I intensely dislike emails and pop ups wanting me to join FB or ''like'' someone.

I am a news hound and HATE news sites asking me to ''like'' them on FB. ''Please like me'' leaves me the impression they are needy and business is bad. May not be reality, but that is my initial impression.

When using Google and trying to purchase an item or find a restaurant menu I dislike finding myself on a FB page.  First thing I look for is a web address, and if found I leave FB asap before the pop-ups appear.

So, the moral of the story is if you do business from FB, it may be a good idea to have at least a minimal website set up with contact info.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Mar 19 10:09:46 2015

Basset, one of our local news channels is always "hounding" us to put their weather app on our phones. It is a little over the top (not the weather app but the insistence of using it).

When one places an app on their phone, I am guessing the app provider has access to a great deal of information on our phones, otherwise, why do they push these apps so hard.  The free games apps companies have to be gathering and selling data, otherwise how do they survive.

1 2 3  [Next Page]