Mon Mar 9 2015 17:08:32

Why Suffer Aggravation from eBay Shipping?

By: Reader

If eBay shipping is down all the ding-dang time, why wouldn't some of these sellers use a 3rd party shipping software like Stamps.com or Endicia instead of complaining on EKG

I wish you would pose the question to your readers. I use Stamps.com and have never had an issue. I pay $15.95 a month for less eBay aggravation and it's worth every penny,
Thanks,
Donna

Why Suffer Aggravation from eBay Shipping?   Why Suffer Aggravation from eBay Shipping?

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 9 17:19:04 2015

I would think that the people complaining are those that don't have to print enough postage to justify the 15.95 at Stamps.

We use stamps as we ship up to a 100 packages a day and Ebay is just to damn slow.

With the exception of a 15 minute glitch about a year ago we have never had a time when Stamps was down.

This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Mon Mar 9 20:19:34 2015

Some months I don't even get $15.95 in sales, so I can't justify the cost of a service that is more than the sales it is used for.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 9 22:56:20 2015

@Donna,
You should be grateful to have so many sales that you can pay a monthly fee for outside mailing service.

Like Windsorbear mention, many of us don't have a ton of sales. BUT I will go to the Post Office website if I can't print labels.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Mar 10 03:14:21 2015

I rarely have a problem with Ebay shipping.  Certainly sometimes, but not near as often as has been reported by others.

For me, if for whatever reason I can't print them through Ebay, I log into PP and print them.  Typically that will work for me on the occasion there is an issue.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 10 03:39:28 2015

I loved stamps.com when I had a business!
When I started with them I could print 4 labels on one sheet of paper.  That got me a few phone calls from postal reps!
The service was fast, easy, AND they kept records for me too!

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Mar 10 07:04:23 2015

I follow along with Marie and Ding Dong.  I rarely have any issues with eBay labels.  When I do, my back ups are PayPal multi order and USPS.  USPS does not do the first class labels, though. (hint for USPS here!)

I also have found that if I encounter a problem with any of those three methods, it will usually get ''fixed'' if I change browsers.

by: alfabarn This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 10 07:16:20 2015

I use stamps.com. And have never had a problem. But the majority of my sales are through a newsletter, not ebay. So it makes no sense to use Ebay shipping, even for Ebay sales.

by: edneff This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 10 08:42:15 2015

FYI for people who sell on eBay Stamps.com is free (and even imports eBay sales) In addition you can also input transactions for those ad hoc shipments.
The easy way to ship eBay® orders
The most powerful USPS shipping software… now FREE for eBay sellers.
Stamps.com is proud to introduce the next generation of USPS shipping software. It’s simply the fastest, smartest and most reliable way to ship eBay orders with the USPS. With Stamps.com, you simply import your orders from eBay and print your shipping labels. No re-entering data. You can even batch your orders and print your labels all at once. Below are just a few of the great features. All free for eBay sellers…

also the below can't be beat for insurance
ShipSaver Insurance
By Inkfrog (Released on: Nov 02, 2009)
Add shipping insurance to all your sold items. Add insurance in bulk, or offer an auto purchase option to buyers and best of all -- no standing in line at the Post Office!
$0.76/100

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue Mar 10 08:48:19 2015

Add me as another loyal stamps.com user. For most items that I sell, I'm able to quickly print 3-part shipping/postage on my Dymo LabelWriter printer. Neat and easy! (Genuine ''Dymo'' brand labels on a roll are overpriced, but there are many sellers on Amazon who offer compatible labels that work perfectly fine.)

Although I don't sell internationally, there are times throughout the year when I personally ship packages internationally, and stamps.com makes it SO easy.

My only complaint about using stamps.com postage was when my local USPS would see the discounted amount for my Flat-Rate shipments, and RETURN IT TO ME AS ''POSTAGE DUE'' (!!!!)

Due to lack of training, they incorrectly assumed I hadn't put enough postage on the package. (That's when I started HIDING the postage on everything, and the problem disappeared.)

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Mar 10 10:34:25 2015

Funny you should mention that, Annie. At one time they had some'' pre-paid'' flat rate mailers you could purchase in groups - only on stamps.com and nowhere else.

They were advertised on USPS.com.

I thought it was a great idea to have some on hand for personal use and meant to check it out since it would have to be a ''forever'' format if they were pre-paid and not date sensitive.  I'm guessing tracking could be purchased separately?

Are these the flat rate items you (or anyone else out there) had experience with?

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue Mar 10 10:58:14 2015

Basset: The items that were often returned to me were the USPS flat-rate envelopes.

I forget what the full-priced, over-the-counter rate was for those envelopes... but the Stamps.com discounted rate was about 20-25 cents cheaper.

Now... this was when I was still selling at eBay, and I felt that it was important to have *visible* postage so that my customers would know that I wasn't over-charging them. (At the time, buyers often assumed that sellers who used ''hidden'' or ''stealth'' postage were overcharging... and they'd ding the stars based on their misconceptions.)

When my local USPS returned these items to me stamped with ''insufficient-postage'', it required me to make a special trip to the USPS office. --- I arrived with a printout of the relevant pages from the USPS Domestic Mail Manual so that I could explain to clerk --- AND POSTMASTER --- what the rules and regs were!

In addition to requiring a special trip (a waste of time) the whole process DELAYED the customers order by 2-3 days!!! >:o/ Argh!

Ultimately, I had to choose which evil was worse. Should I: a) Risk the possibility that a buyer didn't like seeing ''stealth'' postage? ... or, b) Risk that untrained USPS employees would incorrectly return an item as ''insufficient-postage'', resulting in DELAYED shipments?

For the remained of my time at eBay, I chose to hide the discounted postage anyway instead of risking delayed shipments caused by overzealous (UNTRAINED) postal employees.

OH... ONE MORE THING...

In *one* instance, the Flat Rate envelope was not returned to me. Instead it was DELIVERED AS POSTAGE DUE!!!! My customer was NOT HAPPY that she had to go to the post office, wait in line, hand-over the pink-slip (claim check) and pay 25-cents to get her item.

Her anger was completely understandable, but she was determined to make is so that she wasn't the ONLY person who was angry. --- My DSR scores suffered because of it. (Nice, huh?)

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue Mar 10 11:00:58 2015

Basset: These were regular USPS Flat Rate envelopes (not pre-paid).

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Mar 10 12:06:05 2015

@Annie - I wonder if the problem you had was because Stamps.com didn't have the magic words "Commercial Base Pricing" printed on the labels?

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue Mar 10 12:42:30 2015

@IHJS: Nope... those words were there, plain as day!

I was amazed that even the local POSTMASTER had no clue. I had to go online at USPS.com and download the PDF version of the Domestic Mail Manual. Then printed the specific chapter-and-verse pages to SHOW HER that she was wrong.

Maddening.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 10 14:28:45 2015

I have been critical of many aspects of Ebay lately, but shipping has not been one of them. I can't remember the last time I had problems with labels or shipping of any sort on ebay.
I also have a stamps.com account, but it's free. I don't know why you would pay.
I have them for that odd item, but since I have commercial plus rates on ebay, they are more expensive. a padded envelope on ebay is 5.35 and on stamps it's 5.70

by: wellspring This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 10 22:26:41 2015

I love stamps.com. Been using it for almost three years. I do find that some USPS Priority packages have cheaper postage on eBay so I always compare Priority rates. Since I ship mostly USPS 1st Class mail, stamps.com meets my needs. Have you ever needed to return something that you bought online? It's very easy to create postage to return packages, 1st class or otherwise - can't due that on ebay. Want to mail 1st class International? Can't do that on eBay either. Want to search past mailing, reports, etc? The information is there on stamps.com. The monthly fee is worth every penny. And, when eBay shipping is down, it sure is great to have stamps.com. I ALWAYS hide my postage to save the confusion of what the commercial rate is vs. what the buyer would pay to return it as well as to prevent postage wrongfully being due on delivery to the buyer. I have feedback set-up automatically to post back to eBay when the label is printed. Love it.

by: laytonian This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 10 22:54:56 2015

eBay labels work so well for us, that the very few times (twice?) we've had a glitch, it wasn't an issue.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 10 23:30:19 2015

I rarely have problems with eBay shipping, and if I did, the discount I get is worth it.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 11 00:20:39 2015

been using endicia for years and they have only gotten better with integrating stores and amazon so tracking is sent automatically.  there might also be a free version.

by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 11 00:24:46 2015

never an issue with labels, 100's a month.

lucky? would be a first with FleaBay