Tue Mar 3 2015 14:23:38

eBay Execs Are Saints Compared to Bosses

By: Reader

Although I enjoy reading the EcommerceBytes newsletter, I believe it presents a biased and discouraging view of selling on eBay.

I've been selling on eBay for 2 years and have a 100% positive rating. I've had several positive experiences with eBay customer service where they sided with me, not the customer.  In one case, they removed a neutral feedback and, in the other, they sided with me on a not as described refund.

Thank you for presenting the other side of the story but, if you publish this letter, please do not reveal my identity for obvious reasons.
Unsigned

eBay Execs Are Saints Compared to Bosses   eBay Execs Are Saints Compared to Bosses

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 3 14:43:01 2015

Lucifer: An angelic being who was cast from heaven as punishment for his rebellious pride.
Lucifer is traditionally identified with Satan

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 3 15:22:56 2015

There's an exception to EVERY rule :) consider your self LUCKY that god, Allah, Jehovah, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Budda or what ever else you may or may not choose to believe in - picked you to be that lucky person.

%99.99999999999999999999999999 eBay sides with buyers as eBay CLEARLY believes and feels that buyers are their customers and NOT sellers.

Even the most ardent eBay cheerleaders here (not to mention the THOUSANDS) on eBays boards have horror stories about the outright FRAUD, THEFT and illegal activities that eBay does and has done to me and them.

If you want to PM me - go right ahead and I'll regale you with a few - as can my lawyer to who to intervene MORE THEN A FEW TIMES.

The greatest trick the devil Donohue ever pulled was convincing the world that seller protections do exist

by: troglites This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 3 18:13:42 2015

Perhaps you have your own bias? Count yourself lucky that you have had positive experiences with Ebay, but that does not negate that thousands of other sellers have been through hell. The real problem is their asinine policies - they speak for themselves.

The fact that you are satisfied with Ebay, does not mean that those who are not have unwarranted complaints.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Mar 3 19:07:40 2015

On this site there are a combination of people posting their opinions regarding Ebay.  Some are current sellers, some have sold on Ebay but no longer do so, some are strictly buyers and have never sold before.

What is for sure, if you post anything positive about EBay here, be prepared for what will follow.  As there will be a flurry of those that disagree passionately.

I've explained this before on this site.  A lot of what happens with sellers is really going to depend on the categories you sell in.  Some are just really difficult to navigate and survive.  Others are relatively easy if you are a responsible sellers.

But electronics, jewelry, fashions and collectables are some of the toughest neighborhoods to be part of.  Scamming buyers are at every turn.  The experiences of these sellers may be completely different than those that sell in home improvements, Home decor, books, etc.

Ebay does not protect or stand up for its sellers as it should.  That they have proven that over and over and over again.  You have been fortunate in your dealings with EBay and one day that may change, I sincerely hope not.  The misery boat is pretty full.

But know that some of the other horror stories you hear about selling on Ebay are very true.  Others are errors made by the seller but they refuse to acknowledge or accept that.  They reach for blaming Ebay as they are an easy target because so many people dislike them.  Some with cause, some without.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Mar 3 19:11:12 2015

Yeah, eBay does indeed look after some sellers ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Mar 3 20:14:39 2015

@Philip

It has NOTHING to do with looking after some sellers.  While I certainly agree they look after their mega sellers, that isn't the case for everyone else.

What I said above about categories is true.  Some things just draw in the risky buyers more than others.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 3 23:24:57 2015

... just FYI - since Im one of eBays BIGGEST critics here ...

I criticize eBay because I want them to change - not to go OOB.

I dont care how many houses JD owns, how many gallons of premium jet fuel he burns up OR how much money is sitting in the Caymans. All I want is for him and his cronies to leave me and my fellow sellers alone.

Id be happy if he just left and found some kind of charity to work for - as he CLEARLY has no clue how to run an ecommerce site.

Im not here poking the bear (so to speak) just to get a rise out of the morons that work in San Jose. Id MUCH RATHER be selling - but eBay goes out of its way to hurt me - so I spend time playing defense instead of offense (selling) and I share my horro stories with "friends" ... aka misery loves company.

Id like eBay to improve - but it never seems to - and I cant figure out why.

I willsay that I buck the trend here and have been/am one of the few who have eBays back on the GSP. For me - it actually works and I  appriciate their hard work getting it off the ground.

Yes there are MANY aspects of it that are still broken (cause its eBay!) but on the whole - Ive got nothing to complain about it.

Shame that cant be said for the OTHER %99 of eBay that runs like a broken down 72 pinto.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 4 06:11:50 2015

I don't think you reasonably can expect an unbiased opinion from a long-time eBay seller-buyer. You had to be there as they say :)

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Mar 4 07:11:15 2015

OP says "Believing that eBay's management's primary goal is to make life difficult and or totally unprofitable for small sellers verges on paranoia and defies logic."

No, I believe that they are in the business of lining their own pockets, and the hello with everyone else.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Mar 4 08:16:22 2015

OP writes: ''Believing that eBay's management's primary goal is to make life difficult and or totally unprofitable for small sellers verges on paranoia and defies logic.''

What an absurd thing to say! The rest of your letter is well-written and makes good points... but this one sentence is a doozy.

It's not our ''belief'' that defies logic. We aren't imagining things.

Instead it's WHAT WE ACTUALLY OBSERVE HAPPENING that defies logic. It is EBAY'S HOSTILE AND ANTI-SELLER POLICIES that make sellers feel ''paranoid'' and threatened.

There are no two ways about it. Facts are facts. Actions are actions. Results are results. --- One need only open their eyes and accept the truth about what is happening to eBay and the consequences for honest, hard-working, rank-and-file sellers.

It made me chuckle when you wrote: ''I believe [eCommerceBytes] presents a biased and discouraging view of selling on eBay.''

Really? You think that? --- Believing that the Steiners' primary goal is to make life difficult and or totally unprofitable for eBay execs verges on paranoia and defies logic. (If you take my meaning.)

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 4 08:20:40 2015

I would like to know a few things about this seller....

1. Are you Griff or Jeff?
2. Are you from China?
3. Do you have 46,000 listings?

OR, maybe you are just 2 years young to the whole "ebay seller experience"

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 4 09:21:53 2015

Don't feed the Troll

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 4 10:10:07 2015

after selling on ebay over 10 years, 100% feedback, I would honestly say it went downhill from donohoe on, now that I no longer sell there the stress level is gone I cringed every sale but then again I am in a high risk category I have had success selling on the new site SpediTrade so far so good lets see what happens

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Mar 4 10:35:21 2015

I want what Sally, I mean the OP, is having

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 4 10:54:19 2015

Well Mrs. Donahoe good for you!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Mar 4 13:03:38 2015

"Don't feed the Troll"

LOL.  Hysterical.  Thank you for making me smile today.  That 'bout sums it up.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Mar 4 14:18:03 2015

Unsigned (letter writer) states: "When I compare John Donahoe and the rest of the eBay organization with bosses I had during my career, they look like saints!"

Unsigned fails to mention what industry she (my assumption) was involved with, but I can assure you that if you had bosses worse than JD and his henchmen, you were in the wrong profession. I worked in law offices for almost 40 years, and I never had an attorney try to steal my money, ruin my career, or permit others to rob me. Which is what eBay has been about for the last approximately eight years. My bosses always respected me because I worked hard and provided billable hours. eBay doesn't respect any seller, unless you're a diamond or Chinese seller. If Unsigned is experiencing none of the issues everyone else seems to have, then she must be sacrificing puppies at the eBay altar.

by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 4 14:41:05 2015

LOL! Birth of a meme.
Leave John Donahoe alone!

ustin-bieber-alone/

by: lostinNYC This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 4 19:53:10 2015

I agree with the letter writer. I am a small to medium sized seller with 5-star DSR and currently around 0.3% defects. I called eBay customer service many times to have unwarranted defects removed and they were able to do so quickly every time. Courteous and informed for the most part as well. Just today I saw on my dashboard, that eBay had removed several defects all by itself, even without me inquiring. The defects related to shipping delays during extreme weather situations in the North East.

Of course when the mistake was really mine, or I don't have proof (such as the carrier's failure to transmit proof of delivery) I don't bother calling. I have stopped selling on another big venue that was really profitable for me, but I could not stand their byzantine rules and uninformed and unhelpful customer service.

If eBay is truly as bad, favors Chinese sellers or is out to screw small businesses, why are people such as myself able to grow and increase sales? If you constantly whine that much, it reflects mostly on you, not on eBay. I myself have not found either a larger seller or one from China, that would be able to compete with me with the service and prices I am able to deliver. But o.k., keep whining, while others make money. Ultimately it's your call.

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 4 20:24:26 2015

Do I believe that the execs have a personal vendetta against sellers? No. This is not personal against any sellers. Do I think that the running of the company is ruining the business? Yes. And the bad treatment of sellers is a by product of that.

Yes there are a rare few people out there who truly believe that the execs are out to get the sellers. But for the most part, we dont.

I am thrilled that you have had such a pleasant experience in your 2 years of selling. The first 2 years of my selling on Ebay were also a pleasant experience. In fact, the first 5 years were pleasant. The last year, not so much.

1 2 3  [Next Page]