Sat Feb 28 2015 11:44:44

If You're That Unhappy, Why Continue Buying on eBay?

By: Reader

I have just come off the phone after an hour long call and being transferred to three different people to get a neutral and a negative feedback removed. We are a Top Rated Seller and have been selling on eBay since 2010.

This was my third call about the negative feedback where the buyer has left 12 negatives in the past 15 transactions, and 2 of the positives were where the buyer got refunded (so the sellers presumably bought the positive feedback) The past two times and countless reports had failed to get them to act and only this time did they agree to remove it.

The neutral was one where the buyer used eBay mobile to purchase - which does not automatically give the buyer all the listing information unless they click the links - along with a note that "could the item be shipped today for delivery by Friday".

When we received the order we noted his delivery request and due to fear of a late despatch defect if we had sent within our normal timescales (5-7 days and clearly stated on the listing), we sent it out that same day for delivery the next day - Thursday.

This is what we got from the buyer by email:

Thanks for the fast delivery. It's indeed thoroughly polished and clean. However the hoover isn't a customer return as you've stated in the description but a quite heavily used one judging by the amount of scratches and the rather loose clips that holds the motor housing and the bucket which could be caused by the cloth filter's rubber seal. I'm writing you not because I want to return it but just to advise you to make it very clear on the description that this is a refurbished used henry and NOT a customer return as the customers would think that it's a 15 or 30 days new unwanted and returned products. Regards

And our reply;

Thanks for your feedback. We have sold hundreds of these and do try to be as clear as possible. They are all listed as seller refurbished with the following description

"These are customer returns that have been professionally refurbished by us. Our refurbishment process, restores a used item to 100% working order. The machine is fully stripped, broken parts replaced, washed, electrically tested and polished. Filters are washed according to the manufacturer's instructions. Whilst we do make every effort to remove cosmetic marks it's not always possible to remove every mark. The key benefit of purchasing a refurbished item as opposed to a new item is the huge saving on the purchase price. If you can live with a few cosmetic marks, refurbishment is a very cost effective option."

We do appreciate it's difficult to visualise what a refurbished item will look like, which is why we specifically say about the cosmetic marks.

In respect of the clips they are all the same without exception, even on brand new models

The buyers final reply:

Thanks for reply. It's indeed working nearly as good as a new one but aesthetically looks like an used vacuum cleaner and not customers unwanted Christmas or birthday gift. Best Regards

The buyers Neutral feedback

Not a "customer return" Henry as claimed but a well used one. Not honest seller.

eBay have advised me that this is not eligible for removal as it's the buyer's opinion! I might add that this is exactly what they said to me about the negative feedback until apparently they decided that it was eligible for removal.

As a seller, what more can I do to ensure people read descriptions. I can't force them to do so, but still eBay feels this is a fair way to treat good sellers - allowing their feedback to be trashed.

I accept that there are going to be a percentage of buyers who do cause problems, but I would expect that if I have taken the time to call eBay and explain my genuine justifications for why eBay should protect my account, that those concerns should be heard and a sensible decision made.

I re-iterated all of this to the Appeals Representative from eBay and asked her what she planned to do when the next cull of eBay employees came along and her name was on the list. I explained that eBay needs good sellers who care about their customers to improve its reputation and by not supporting and actively rejecting their concerns, it was only a matter of time before they left.

The representative said that she "understood my concerns." Well, thank you for that eBay, I feel really reassured that you care!

There is a poll on one of the UK threads for small sellers, do you only buy, only sell and buy and sell.  Most small sellers both buy and sell - when are the people at eBay towers going to realise that by culling - or starving cashflow - of small sellers so they leave, it also takes a swathe of buyers with it.

I for one would never buy on eBay again if I closed my account, I am sure I am just one of many, many thousands who feel the same.
Kind Regards
Denise

If You're That Unhappy, Why Continue Buying on eBa   If You're That Unhappy, Why Continue Buying on eBa

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Feb 28 13:01:53 2015

Unfortunately, eBay's chief headless turkey, Johnny Ho, is not interested in anyone using his online "Westfield" mall as a flea market for the selling of used goods no matter that they are refurbished or otherwise; or at least that was his policy yesterday; who knows what this cretin's policy will be tomorrow ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sat Feb 28 14:09:53 2015

Or if your that unhappy why continue to sell on eBay ? Well I was one who held onto eBay as long as I could, and you all advised me to find another venue, and I felt trapped and hopeless !

Well I am most happy to report, I have found another venue, and I have thank God been so busy the last few weeks, I have to pinch myself, I have expanded to a brick and mortar and another online venue, I am doing more sales on those 2 than anything eBay can offer me !

I also find the customers on my other 2 income avenues are not the spoiled, rotten, and seller destroying kind like mentioned by the OP of this article !

Yes people ! I have MOVED ON ! I am no longer 100% dependent on eBay YEEEEEE  HAAAAAAAA  !!!!!!!  You all told me I could, and I did finally !!!!!

eBay is not just a very small piece of my income pie for each week ! Being Top Rated and busting my butt got me $80 a week most of 2014

I finally reached a point where I had to free myself from the total dependence on eBay, and I can promise ANYONE in my previous similar situation, whether you get your own site, or find an alternative site that berst suits your products and selling style there is 100% life outside of eBay and OH HOW SWEET IT TRULY IS !!!!!!

Wenig, I cannot explain how wonderful it feels to not be dependent on eBay solely anymore ! Hope you change eBay for the better Wenig, but if you don't oh well ! I have MOVED ON !!!!

The buyers on eBay were groomed in my opnion by JD to do exactly what the buyer mentioned in this article does !

eBay buyers are cocky, disrespectful, touchy, and simply do not care about sellers livelihoods, amazingly the buyers on my other channels understand what they are buying before they do, and they actually APPRECIATE my customer service !

Devin, eBay is dying, hope you save it, but if you don't good riddance to eBay after what JD did to it and us sellers since 2008

FREE AT LAST !!!!!! YEEEE HAAAAAA !!!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sat Feb 28 14:13:30 2015

eBay is "NOW" just a very small piece of my total income pie for each week ! Being Top Rated and busting my butt got me $80 a week most of 2014 and headache customers on eBay

I finally reached a point where I had to free myself from the total dependence on eBay, or die from stress and heartbreak, and I can promise ANYONE in my previous similar situation, whether you get your own site, or find an alternative site that "BEST" suits your products and selling style needs, that there is 100% life outside of eBay and OH HOW SWEET IT TRULY IS !!!!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sat Feb 28 14:19:32 2015

I have relearned that I do possess a set of unique skills for selling online, and that is wasn't me, it was JD and eBay that HANDCUFFED my ability to sell ! Shame on eBay

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 28 14:55:44 2015

If sellers who are unhappy suddenly quit selling what would they do with all their spare time. What would they whine about.

Such is life. Get over it and move on.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sat Feb 28 15:24:01 2015

It's kind of a 'what goes round, comes round' type thing. The less sellers sell, the less sellers buy - That math and logic thing again.  Alienate sellers, you've alienated buyers.

Despite the crazy business environment,  eBay still seems to be the best source for many things I am looking to buy, mostly pre-owned items.  I go through phases where I look on Bonanza and eCrater but if found at all the selection is much smaller and often HIGHER  priced than eBay's offerings. Why is that?

There is the hope that when I DO buy stuff on eBay that I am supporting small sellers like me. Since I usually buy pre-owned and vintage items, it is unlikely I am supporting large retailer type sellers when I buy on eBay.   For new stuff, I am more likely going through a retailer's own website.

An exception is business supplies - I have long term favorite sellers on eBay for my supplies and I am fairly faithful with repeat business for those sellers. Even if they are not always the absolute lowest price.  In this category my stash of sellers have proven customer service and reliability along with value.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 28 15:39:55 2015

LDSbrother- where did you go TELL US and we will follow!
SO HAPPY for you!!
MH
YAAAAA for lds Brother!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Feb 28 15:46:38 2015

@LDS Brother - So happy to see you posting again. Since we haven't heard from you in a while, and you always seemed so despondent, I was worried that something horrible had happened to you. But it sounds like you are happy and successful again. Keep us up-dated on how the othere venues are working out.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 28 17:58:38 2015

@LDSBrother:

Wish I were even doing $80/wk on this now collapsed "platform."  Sell-thru was going steadily down under The Hoe's ostensible "leadership" from '08-'12, then it totally cratered.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 28 19:41:35 2015

You could save yourself negative and neutral feedback by apologizing for the buyer's disappointment and allowing a return and replacement. That's customer service when you want a happy customer to come back.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 1 04:00:16 2015

Your always going to get the ''buyer from hell'' but it's ebay that does the damage, it's ebay that allows it, it's all ebays fault, and it's ebay that should feel the consequences from it.

We NEVER call ebay for anything, we don't care one bit about their warped and distorted policies, defects, or whatever they dream up,

If they want to hurt our sales and THEIRS thru, defects, feedback, bad buyers and nonsense policies, feel free, and go right ahead, if they really don't want the business we give them, then they can go straight to hell, there's plenty of other venues that are more then happy and would appreciate to have our ebay business.

WE are now in FULL Control of our business, and the tables are turning for ebay, they are treading a fine line, with sellers in 2015, we have already drastically throttled back our ebay exposure and are more then prepared to lower it even more, if needed.

@LDS Brother, well done !!, your on the road to happy profitable selling again,

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 1 13:56:15 2015

It is a new day and I still say YAAAAA for lds brother!
(Tell us where you went brother).
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Mar 1 14:19:28 2015

Congrats & Continued Success to LDS Brother! That's great news! You work hard, and you deserve this!

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Mar 1 15:04:50 2015

(As a side note, it's always disappointing to see when folks post comments that ridicule, demean and belittle sellers who are struggling. It saddens me whenever I'm reminded of how little compassion others have for their fellow human beings. We who find it difficult to make life-changing decisions on a whim are not ''whiners''... what an awful characterization! Advising someone to ''get over it'' when they're trying to summon the courage to leave all that's familiar to them is unnecessary, unhelpful, and a bit cruel. --- Good grief! GROW UP!)

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Sun Mar 1 18:41:06 2015

The buyer might have a point.

Good for you LDS Brother. Keep your location to yourself. Good advice is not appreciated here.

A. Annie, did you ever once stand up for the small sellers squashed in '08?

Karma as a canine, gored ox, fool me once... Thanks for the advice, but I like to say, "People are basically good."

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Mar 1 19:50:02 2015

Oh, gee. I wasn't here in '08, Ed. Therefore, having not fully participated during that era, one can logically assume that everything else I have to say is worthless and irrelevant. Is that about the gist of your snark?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Mar 1 21:14:11 2015

Annie, your posts are brilliant. Anyone who doesn't recognize this either doesn't want to or has deeper issues.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Mar 1 22:22:56 2015

@Ed Gadfly - Why such belligerent remarks directed to Annie? She's always supported small sellers and encouraged them to leave eBay based upon her own successful "life after eBay." She's the last person anyone should want to attack.

by: ripley This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 2 00:26:24 2015

Ohhh - duuuhhhh!!!

If you are an ebay seller, of course you would be an idiot to buy on Ebay

Ebay is nothing more than a billboard for online sellers. I find the product that I wish to buy on Ebay then I search for the seller via google and buy the item at a much cheaper price from their online store.

Any one that buys via Ebay these days is simply an idiot that enjoys throwing away their own money.

Of course people not familiar with Ebay have the excuse of ignorance, but if you are an Ebay seller yourself, your only excuse can only be imbecility.

I of course still advertise on Ebay but I load my prices up for the exorbitant Ebay fees and then do everything in my power (both legal and illegal under Ebay rules) to direct Ebay sourced customers to my own webpage.

Of course, if customers are stupid enough to pay $250 more on one of my Ebay items and put this into Ebay's pocket there is little else I can do.

In short - I do not buy on Ebay because I know I am probably paying 10% more compared to that merchants own webpage.

I also know that the 10% extra I am paying is going straight into the Ebay / Paypal coffers.

I wish Ebay would simply die as a business so that cheaper and more seller friendly sites would have a chance. I am certainly not going to contribute to keeping Ebay alive any longer than necessary.

Get real people!!!

Ripley

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 2 03:58:22 2015

Let me understand this.  You, the seller,have sold items to this one buyer 15 times and 12 out of the 15 times this buyer has given you a negative?  My first question is why are you still selling to the guy.  Are you that desperate for his business?  Tell him to go elsewhere.
And I buy from EB all the time.  I am both a buyer and a seller.  I like the convenience of having a Paypal bank account that deducts my purchases.  I don't have to pull out my credit card each time I want to order online.

1 2 3  [Next Page]