Sun Feb 15 2015 16:49:44

How Can eBay Speak for the Postal Service, Seller Asks

By: Reader

I am writing you about something that I recently experienced and hoping maybe you will follow up on an article you wrote about eBay's false and unwarranted claim "Delivery in 4 Days" on seller's listings.

I am a very small seller, and did not realize until a few days ago that eBay had in big red letters under the price of my items "Delivery in 4 Days." Other listings had "Delivery in 4 Days" in black letters - but every single listing had it - regardless of shipping method.

The audacity of eBay knows no bounds. Who are they to speak for the Postal Service, or any other entity? They believe sellers are the problem? It is eBay who is falsely raising buyer's expectations for something that is often unobtainable, and promising something that's out of any one's control - including them.

Most of my items are economy shipping and a few flat rates - delivery may or may not occur in four days. I once had a padded flat rate that took 11 days to deliver which I shipped the same day the buyer paid. I ship as soon as I can, but I cannot risk having listings up with a definitive statement such as "Delivery in 4 Days."

The only choice I have is to either put in a disclaimer about their erroneous iron clad statement "Delivery in 4 Days" - or change my shipping and handling time to four days to avoid having this bogus statement on all of my listings. I ended up changing my handling time, because if push comes to shove, eBay will back up any buyer who rest their claim on this statement - despite anything I write contrary in my listing.

I would like eBay to explain to the real world, how they can legitimately assert on any seller's listing regardless of shipping method, "Delivery in 4 Days?" How can they state this as fact? How can they speak in behalf of the Postal Service and offer a definitive date for shipping times that the Post Office themselves does not offer?

How can a company blatantly get away with such a thing and substantiate "Delivery in 4 Days" as a given? They are claiming something that absolutely can't be guaranteed in advance. Thank you.
Sincerely,
A.

How Can eBay Speak for the Postal Service, Seller   How Can eBay Speak for the Postal Service, Seller

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 15 17:13:28 2015

It's saying "Delivery in 4 Days" b/c when you look at your own listings, the delivery estimate is based on your zip code.  Even Economy Shipping will arrive within 4 days to the same zip code.

by: dreamweaver149 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 15 17:42:36 2015

We have had this exact policy in UK for a very long time now, and believe me it is causing more pain than anyone would believe. Not happy with the Royal Mails' ESTIMATE on delivery times, they started to guarantee it in that time, INSTEAD!...Now you would think that might be the end, but no.....eBay now GUARANTEE NEXT DAY DELIVERY on anything being sent first class mail, this is something that not even Royal Mail will do and they are the ones ACTUALLY delivering it! Add to that the increases in number of cases being opened for INR and you might begin to see the picture as to where this is going. (This side, the only way to guarantee next working day delivery by Royal Mail is by Special Delivery which costs approx £6.30 compared to a large letter first class which costs 0.90pence, for a signed large letter it is approx £2.20)

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 15 17:52:54 2015

As long as the wimpy, ebay addicted Postal Service ALLOWS ebay to make such blatantly and intentionally false delivery claims, they will continue unimpeded and unfettered by truth.

"Delivery in 4 days" is a discount eliminator. That's its ONLY purpose.

IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT EBAY STEALING AS MUCH MONEY FROM SELLERS AS THEY CAN BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

And I suspect it's the same corrupt dynamic at work on the other side of the pond.

by: troglites This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 15 17:53:51 2015

I've experienced this. I've viewed listings where the sellers are in different states other than my own, and it will say "Delivery in 4 Days." Not on all listings, but on quite a few

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Feb 15 20:45:22 2015

eBay and USPS obviously have some sort of crystal ball we don't know about.

by: unknown This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 15 20:54:28 2015

@1beck3

FWIW I saw that 4 day notice thing yesterday on a listing from SC while I'm in CA so it's not just nearby items.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 15 21:59:23 2015

When it comes to eBay ALWAYS ALWAYS follow the money.

eBay (and to some extent USPS) are "encouraging you" to use Priority Mail and not FCM or Parcel Select.

Why? Because theres no money to be made in shipping items FCM. But theres PLENTY to be made in Priority & Express.

eBay (who gets a BIG cut of your USPS labels)(some %10-15 bts), and USPS got together on this. Its not magic, its not anything else - its simply (as Ming said so well) .... theft by deception.

eBay puts "Delivery in 4 days" on your account, then demands you do it. If you dont, you get a defect. If you do - by using Priority Mail - you dont get the defect, but then eBay makes their bucks on that "slice" from USPS.

Its another shady, underhanded, rotten thing that eBay does to sellers - but really - this is 2015 - what do you expect from eBay?

by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 15 22:37:26 2015

The Seller's Advocate gave a terse statement regarding this on a recent weekly chat. Can't find it but it was something to the effect of they have a contractual obligation to fullfill, and it's not going to  change. Ending with something very snarky like "get over it" "end of story" or whatever it was.

Interesting that attempting to search the weekly chat forum for the direct quote, the search wouldn't let me narrow down author to either Griff or griff@ebay.com, insisting "member does not exist" even though the balloon with his ID and avatar popped right up. LOL!

Maybe someone else can locate it? It was a classic and telling moment.

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 15 22:46:17 2015

@unknown FWIW, "A." was talking about their own listings, not some random listing you looked at. And a Priority shipment is estimated to make it from SC to CA in 4 days.

Look for problems, you'll find problems.

by: cash4clothesbozeman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 00:39:08 2015

Hello,  I have had a recent experience about getting a defect from a customer that filed a "item not received"  The tracking showed it in transit.
The item did arrive, late.  I asked eBay to remove the defect because I held my obligation to ship in one day. (My TRSP is worth $375 a month)  The response I got was "the defect cannot be changed because you chose and made a contract with the shipper USPS"  The time frame is placed in the listings with little STAND BEHIND.  The terms that come to mind are you cant put the toothpaste back in the tube.
Troubled times

by: SparklyEyes7 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 00:57:32 2015

Priority Mail is cheaper than Parcel Select 90% of the time.  And when its not, I ship Fedex.  It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than the post office on heavier items.

by: kenhotlanta This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 01:03:19 2015

I have noticed First Class Mail is much slower recently and I don't think ebay realizes this fact.

This user has validated their user name. by: Kitty Ninja

Mon Feb 16 01:35:09 2015

My friend thinks that John Donahoe made a ''deal'' with Patrick Donahoe or visa versa. Perhaps they are relatives. Funny they are both leaving their respective companies now...

http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_R._Donahoe

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 02:28:30 2015

I live in NY and I see these "Delivery in 15 minutes!!!"  from the Left Coast sellers ALL THE TIME.

Even with Priority--and it's not really a Priority TO the PO much as they would like US to think so---things cannot be GAURANTEED to get here from let's say Cali in 4 days.

For one thing--ebay cannot predict the weather.  This winter we have had DAYS of snow when our Governors CLOSED the roads. Hurricanes Irene and Sandy shut down mail for days. I had a package that I noticed was going to a town DEVASTATED by a tornado--and emailed the buyer to assure them that I would hold the item-- fancy shoes!---if they were not able to get mail or were homeless.  Now THAT buyer actually got MAD at me for ASKING this---And where the hell were her damn SHOES?

Well you cannot win when it comes to ebay and their snowflake buyers.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 02:56:04 2015

Out of curiosity, I looked at several of my FOR SALE postcard listings.  This is what they said in the shipping area:

''Delivery: Estimated between Tue. Feb. 17 and Tue. Feb. 24''

Right now, this is Sunday night, the 15th. Tomorrow the Post Office is closed for President's Day. So, if I sold that postcard, I would have to mail it on Tuesday, the 17th. Ebay is telling a Buyer they might get their package on the same day it is mailed?

That is ridiculous!

Ebay is becoming useless. Why even bother selling there anymore? It has simply become a waste of time for so many reasons!

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 03:10:53 2015

CEOs are so use to fudging numbers that they no longer know how to count.

by: tb This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 03:21:56 2015

And if you think buyers don't notice these ship "estimates", think again. A buyer purchased an item on MONDAY and eBay said it would be there by FRIDAY. We shipped Monday, and on Thursday, the buyer contacted us asking where his order was.

This is an insane situation eBay has put ALL of its sellers in. People need to put a disclaimer in BOLD letters that delivery times stated by eBay are only estimates. If enough people do this, maybe they'll get the message. Or more likely issue a policy violation.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Feb 16 03:30:31 2015

@1beck3

Your first post on this thread is exactly what is happening.  When a seller views their own listings, they are seeing an ETA based on where they are at.  That ETA will change when a buyer that lives a few states over from you views your listing.

I know many here just want to see this as yet another plot Ebay has against the sellers, but in fact it is just the sellers not understanding how the ETA is done.

But you won't be able to stop those that insist on using anything and everything no matter what it is as a reason to slam Ebay.

My goodness.  Ebay does so many things to give us material to complain about, that is very true.  But not everything that happens is there fault as many would like us to believe.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 07:26:36 2015

@Marie

I admire your logic, and patience with ebay, but unfortunately the slamming  of ebay is what happens when the trust has been betrayed, so many times, I think this is going to be the “Normal” reaction of normal people with all ebay maters.

Yes it may be true your seeing a different estimate based on location, but in reality ebay should not be doing this PERIOD, this is just another bad attempt at manipulating search results, just another issue, that burdens and potentially can and does harm the seller.

When I purchase on ebay, I go by the WACKO ebay rules and WACKO ship dates, if ebay says my item is going to arrive on a certain date, and it’s one minute late, I start the wacko ebay process, to get my refund.

The new ebay is an extremely hostile environment for most sellers, and the new generation of potential sellers are certainly keeping their distance from selling on ebay,  , I asked a younger etsy seller on the weekend  if she is going to sell on ebay too, ( with an absolute horrified look, she said NO,  she heard that ebay was a very bad place to sell on) the new generation is not buying into the ebay cult, like we did, and are smart enough to steer clear of trouble.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Feb 16 07:30:48 2015

Marie, I generally agree with what you have written regarding ETA, but why have it on there at all.  As many East Coasters have mentioned, weather plays a huge factor in the outcome of these things. eBay nor USPS can predict the future, so it sets up unrealistic expectations.  Moreover, a seller can get dinged if a mail truck is stuck in a snowbank in New Jersey.  It is just not fair to hold a seller responsible for carrier or weather issues. (eBay is unforgiving) We ship items out either the day order is received or within 24 hours and we have issues from time-to-time that are out of our control.

Your post does remind me though that eBay does so many things that fire sellers up that they have only themselves to blame for the hostility that they have created among the seller community.

1 2 3  [Next Page]