Fri Feb 13 2015 15:46:58

USPS Faulty Tape Measure Nearly Costs Seller Extra $45

By: Reader

Today something very strange happened. Just wondering if you have ever heard of this happening before.

My son who sells on eBay took a package to the post office to mail and the postal clerk told him it was an oversize package and he owed $45.00 more.

He knew that couldn't be because he was under the 84" length and gird. It was 80". So she measured it again and it came out 85" again, so he said let me see your tape measure and lo and behold the tape measure started at 5".

I asked him if he thought it was cut and he said no because it had the metal tip at the end. When he pointed out to her that her tape measure started at 5" she still would not accept the package so he went to another post office and mailed with no problem.

Just wonder if you have ever heard of this happening before? Please don't use my name or email address. Thanks
G.

USPS Faulty Tape Measure Nearly Costs Seller Extra   USPS Faulty Tape Measure Nearly Costs Seller Extra

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 13 18:23:24 2015

Wow, interesting. I guess I wouldn't of thought of looking at the tape measure but I do measure the bigger packages and mark them on the box.

I would contact the Post Master of that post office and tell them the problem.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Feb 13 20:08:09 2015

In OP's scenario - I would have asked for postmaster, too! I don't know what is going on with USPS these days. I still see vans out on Sundays, so I guess they are still doing the Sunday deliveries?  I can't ever remember to look in my mailbox on Sundays!

A USPS puzzle:

Sold item 12/12/14 and Shipped to a customer in Arkansas

Buyer reported as not received 12/30/14.  Had disappeared on tracking after sorting so refunded buyer. I've never looked, but expect I got dinged on this at the time.

Item returned to me (seller), 2/12/15!  In reviewing the tracking - USPS now makes references to it being forwarded from Levitown PA. Sent back to me from Philadelphia PA.
(note: no references in tracking to AR or TX, only PA)

Yellow USPS  ''return to sender'' address label on package affixed over my original label to AR - It gives yet a third name and address (not my buyer) in San Antonio, TX?

Package had been unopened and all inside as I had sent it out.

A complete mystery - I am one baffled Basset!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Feb 13 22:08:05 2015

There was one instance that was somewhat similar a couple of years ago. I always weigh my packages and figure the postage by looking at usps.com before I go to the post office so I know what the postage will cost me. I get to the post office, and the clerk quotes me a price that was around $30 more than what I had figured. I have a ten pound scale at home, and it weighs on the heavy side, so I knew there was no way my figure could be that far off. She weighs it again, and it shows the same higher price. I asked her to re-set her scale, because I knew the amount she was getting was wrong. She did re-set the scale and, surprise!, then came up with the same figure I had originally. At the time I was wondering how many people were overpaying that day because her scale was wrong.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Feb 13 23:11:56 2015

Most counties or in some cases, states have a department of weights and measures, the sole function of which is to assure the public is not being defrauded.

I would not bother with the postmaster, I would contact the weights and measures department instead.  The reason being that the county/state department is empowered to levy fines for violations.  Fines make headlines, and headlines get the attention of companies or in this case the Postal Service.

You can bet that if one Postal Service branch receives a fine for violating the law, a memo will go out overnight to every postmaster informing them to verify this kind of fraud is not taking place on their watch.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Feb 14 03:19:57 2015

Many of us women have often picked on our husbands or significant others for not being able to measure correctly.  And some possibly with good reason.  LOL

We were planning to build a deck at one point.  So I start figuring up how much lumber we needed and my husband started correcting me saying we needed more.  I showed him my numbers.  We needed x number of 2x4's x number of 2 x 6's etc.

He then brought to my attention that a 2x4 is 3 1/2 x 1 1/2.  My immediate comeback was then why the hell is it called a 2x4 when it is not.  Same followed true for other lumber.

So the only thing I could think of was that a man had come up with that measuring system because surely a woman would never dream of doing that.

Then just to add insult to injury here my husband told me that all tape measurers to not measure the same.  I said you have got to be kidding me.

Now certainly the 5" off on the OP's story is extreme, but sure enough if you compare different brands of tape measurers you will find that they are slightly different many times.  Again, a man's tool.  Certainly they would all be the same if a woman had anything to do with it.  LOL

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 14 11:33:29 2015

That sounds like a tape measure made in China. USPS probably bought 100,000 of them for distribution to POs.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Feb 14 12:11:22 2015

Lots of boxes have their dimensions printed on the bottom in or near the Box Certificate seal, so I always look there first before I pull out the measuring tape.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 14 14:32:51 2015

@Iheartjacksparrow
I know that the sizes are printed on a lot of boxes until you turn inside out a tampon box. ;-)

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 14 17:43:27 2015

YES!! About 3 years ago I sent a set of bucket seats. The box was at the limit the post office would deliver. The box came back to my home twice. So I loaded it into the car and walked it to the counter with my tape measure. When the clerk measured the box it came up too big. When I measured it was fine. I asked to see his tape and lo and behold, it started at 6 inches! He was bewildered as he apparently hadn't even noticed. I wonder how many people paid more for postage than they should. I laughed and told him he needed to throw away that tape measure. I wouldn't be surprised if it is still there.

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 14 18:40:19 2015

You have to be careful of the sizes printed on the bottom of the box. They can vary from the actual measurement and the PO rounds up from actual measurements, which could throw you into another price category. To be off 5-6'' is crazy. Bring your own tape measure to the Post Office when you go, if you think they are monkeying around. Make sure it is a metal tape, not cloth, which can stretch and is subject to air moisture content. Also know that if your box is very close to a weight, if you bring it to the PO on a rainy day, the box and packing materials could absorb moisture and weigh more throwing the price off. Nothing is absolute.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 14 19:41:22 2015

@Marie .. the NOMINAL dimensions on Kiln-Dried LUMBER is due to the SHRINKAGE as the lumber AIR DRIES post-cutting.  IN the OLDEN days this was just expected. NOW-days even AS the lumber cutting companies have it all sorted out they REPLICATE the old "random" shrinkage so that MODERN lumber matches up well with the old air-dried lumber.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 14 19:50:16 2015

@OP .. Similar, but WORSE was an Overnight UPS/Red shipment I made from Louisiana to Nevada. I had a WorldShip Account at the time and the invoice was Prepaid and Added so my Price Sheet dim. wt. on this 24x24x4 inch package the SCALE weight exceeded the Dim.Wt. so THAT set the price I charged the buyer. Next month when my UPS invoice arrived THIS BOX had been ''Re-Rated/Corrected'' in transit to 24x24x24 ... SIX times the GROSS VOLUME. Bumped the price I was BILLED up by more than ANOTHER $100.  UPS even 15 years ago had a program of AUDITORS who were on their own kick authorized to ''correct'' the dimensions on AIR packages.  I had SOOOO many occasions when two different sizes of my Carry Cases were RErated as OverSize 1 or OverSize 2 that I had my UPS representative on SpeedDial. If I had NOT contested these overcharges it would have run into $1000s each and every year.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Feb 14 21:07:37 2015

Wow....you have to watch everything these days.

And when the postal worker could clearly see the "defect" of the tape measure, why would she not accept the package?   I too would have asked for the manager, but then I would start escalating AND reporting this to the local news.  That has fraud written all over it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Sun Feb 15 01:00:45 2015

The Post Office has to make up it's deficit some how!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Feb 15 02:41:53 2015

@angryllama

I like my story better.  Guys just never have measured well.  LOL  Don't mess it up with facts.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 00:30:10 2015

They do Sunday deliveries for AMAZON only!

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 00:33:03 2015

Or if you pay for express priority sunday delivery...However I see them doing deiveries on Sundays. it was in the paper and they confirmed about their contract with Amazon. They sure on in a rush so I wonder if those delivered addresses  match?

i hear people argue with the post office employee every day. Mostly it is " I brought this yesterday and I was quote d $45 how can you charge me more?" they say well you might have repackaged it. I am just telling you what the weight says. People try to barter. I guess at this post office I'd bring my own meausuring tape but your son could be mistaken. It's possible. We all make mistakes.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 00:33:50 2015

This user has validated their user name. by: Kitty Ninja

Mon Feb 16 01:44:46 2015

A friend of mine thinks that John Donahoe (eBay) made a ''deal'' with Patrick Donahoe (Postmaster) or visa versa for kickbacks. Maybe John Donahoe also taught him a few tricks on how to cheat the customers. Perhaps they are relatives.

htt
p://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_R._Donahoe

by: Puamelia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 16 01:51:01 2015

According to Uline, the sizes printed on the bottom of the box are the inside measurements. The PO will always get different numbers when they measure the outside.