Mon Feb 9 2015 14:19:09

Buyer on 11Main Uses eBay to Communicate with Seller

By: Reader

Dear Ina
Apparently those who shop on multiple sites are doing weird things to aggravate sellers everywhere. A new shopper on 11 MAIN purchased something from a new seller on 11 MAIN on Saturday, January 17, using one of the 11 MAIN promotions for $50 off a first time purchase of $250 or more.

The order on 11 MAIN for a $250 vintage item was placed on the first day of the 3 day MLK holiday weekend. By lunchtime on Tuesday, the buyer contacted the seller through eBay messages to say that the item ordered on Saturday on 11 MAIN had not been received and that the buyer wanted to know the return policy. Perhaps the buyer assumed the package was already on its way.

The buyer also correctly stated in the eBay message that this same vintage item had once been offered for sale by the seller on eBay. The buyer had decided to communicate only through eBay messages instead of through 11 MAIN messages, even though 11 MAIN was the site where the item had just been purchased.

Very detailed information and policies were listed on the new 11 MAIN shop where the item was "ordered". The stated policies included the important fact that purchases would be sent within five business days.

The payment process is different on 11 MAIN. Payments go to 11 MAIN and they handle them. Pending transactions are not even fully processed with credit card companies until the item is shipped by the seller. There is then a delay before the seller receives their funds from 11 MAIN.

No seller could get a purchase to a buyer's address just hours after the post office reopened on Tuesday. Maybe the Saturday shopper had thought 11 MAIN was using delivery drones. Perhaps, as often happens on eBay, the buyer was hoping to get the item and the refund?

The seller's polite messages to the buyer went unanswered. The 11 MAIN customer service associates were EXTREMELY helpful during this "situation". (11 MAIN sellers receive a level of customer service that is quite different from what they have to tolerate elsewhere.)

The pending "order" was eventually cancelled today - after requesting and finally receiving confirmation from the buyer that they did not want the order filled. 11 MAIN and the seller will never really know if the buyer actually thought a Saturday online purchase on a holiday weekend would appear at their home the next day the post office was open.

Nor will we know if using another venue to communicate with the seller was expected to get a different result - a double rewards result enjoyed by many buyers (getting a refund and the item) on that other venue.

Although we will never really know the buyer's intent, we do know that the absence of feedback on 11 MAIN keeps a perplexing situation from getting worse.
Reader

Buyer on 11Main Uses eBay to Communicate with Sell   Buyer on 11Main Uses eBay to Communicate with Sell

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Feb 9 17:08:01 2015

@Reader - It sounds to me like a scam. Otherwise, why would a buyer contact a seller through another venue? Or expect a package to be delivered after two days of post office closures? Even if the buyer was unaware that the post office was closed on Monday (I often get confused about postal holidays when it's not a major one such as Christmas), the buyer had to know that the post office couldn't accept a package on Sunday. It seems like the buyer was somehow hoping he/she could get eBay rules applied to an 11Main sale, and also keep the item and get the money refunded.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 9 18:04:38 2015

They did you a FAVOR- look at the ebay message they sent you and BLOCK their ebay user ID on ebay.
I might also call ebay to report a buyer and GET THE SERVICE REQUEST # in case he does something else- you will have some documentation to protect yourself.
Very creative new theft approach. Make your illegal DEMANDS on ANOTHER marketplace to shield your actions.
MH
PS: Best to call ebay and be PRO-active as opposed to being Re-active after their next attempt. Remember, whoever usually calls ebay 1st wins.

This user has validated their user name. by: askalice59

Mon Feb 9 23:09:43 2015

I had a similar situation where the buyer mentioned that they see that I sell on Etsy and eBay even though my ID's are very different on both sites. They were telling me I had to get them their item because it was dire that they get it even though it was still in transit. They also mentioned This was during the east coast storm and they were in Delaware.  What was I going to do, run out to Delaware and track it down myself? I thought the storm had delayed it but that wasn't it. Ebay tracking said it was still in transit but when I took the tracking number to the UPS site it said they had tried to deliver it 3 days in a row twice a day. Ebay was 3 days behind on their tracking data. When I told this to the buyer they were furious that I had signature tracking on it. Haha! Said it was such a low level purchase why would I put tracking on it? It was a $76 purchase. They tried to accuse me of sending it to a UPS facility that was 20 miles away from their home, as if I had control over that ??? and it was going to cost them a day of work and all kinds of money to go get it. BS! I called Paypal because they were holding my funds and told them the facts and they released my money and made it so the buyer could not leave any feedback for the transaction whatsoever. I was dumbfounded. I saw that they finally picked it up a week later. I really think this was a scammer in the making or practicing at it or something, but I was very surprised that they brought up my sales on another site. I think eBay & Paypal were so quick to dismiss them because they are seeing this as a new scam. They probably would have let it go on if I hadn't called them.

by: AuctionMonkey This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 10 00:22:53 2015

I love seeing everyone else's maniac stories. It makes me feel a bit better about ours!!

Seriouslky though, since The Internet became readily available for every Tom, Dick and Harry it has definitely increased in ridiculous buyers... Bring back a time where you had to use your brains to log on and use the 'net :D

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 10 00:53:47 2015

Had an usual experience. I shipped an item to South Dakota that was $100 on ebay so no signature. It showed delivered. The buyer went looking for it since it was not there. Three days later she said she found it buried in the snow and that the carrier had put it there! Even though it said delivered eBay called it damaged in transit. Another seller I know had the same problem but was not sure it was a scam, but i think it might be a new one that they use if they see an item for less somewhere else. I haven't gotten the item back yet but she said the metal was warped from the cold & stone fell out . eBay says that is the risk you take for selling online. Really all the good sellers are going to quit. They are going to be left with scam buyers and scam sellers because it's so dysfunctional. Only crooks will survive. Think I will try 11main .They have funds & don't just say seller your life is misery forever and all is your fault!

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 10 01:04:51 2015

This is the typical for online thieves. They are not buyers and should never be called a buyer because their goal is to rip off sellers and steal the item. They never intend to actually pay for anything they can steal from a seller or venue. Unfortunately, credit card companies, Ebay, and other payment centers, etc., cater to this type of thief. We all have our stories about how we got ripped and Ebay, Paypal, Amazon, etc., helped. Start adding those dollars up and we are probably looking at a billion dollar loss to online sellers per year. Those kind of figures should prompt a class action suit against the credit card companies who swipe the money from peoples bank accounts and others who aid and abet the thieves on a daily basis.

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 10 01:20:48 2015

I have had people communicate with me through ebay when they have made purchases on my website more times then I want. I have had people tell me they thought ebay was my website. I have even had people tell me that ebay messages are their email. This could be a simple example of an older person that doesn't know how to use a computer or a brain. I talk to those kinds of people all the time and it blows my mind. They think text messages are emails. They think iphone is another word for a cellphone and that that company is the only ones that make cellphones. They don't read listing descriptions, they use 12345 as their password for every website and they are the ones that click on and respond to the Nigerian Prince! Are people really that dumb. Unfortunately the answer is yes.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 10 02:17:41 2015

I made my one and only ETSY purchase and the seller mis-represented the item.  I was then ACCUSED of being a SELLER on ebay!--As if THAT was now some sort of crime. She had NO evidence to say that I was or was not;  just that this was a hateful sort of thing to accuse me of! And my user ID's are not even similar.

AS to ebay "tracking"  info-today I had a customer tell me that they needed their ski item as their daughter would be freezing next week without it--and that allegedly I had NOT MAILED THE ITEM 9 DAYS AFTER PAYMENT.    Ebay showed that I had provided a tracking number BUT they did not show any actual tracking info. The PO site however says the item is in their town; presumably will go out for delivery tomoro if it did not go out today.  PS=--=the item was mailed the NEXT DAY from NY to FLA and is STILL not delivered; was mailed on the 3rd of Feb. Somehow this is MY fault tho.

by: cosqueen This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 10 05:43:34 2015

Unfortunately, sellers will never be able to stay ahead of all of the creative fraud taking place on every site. Just when I think I've heard it all, another buyer thinks of a new way to do it.  I have had less issues on 11 Main although had one chargeback for supposedly "fraud" activity on the card; the item was received as tracked and when trying to reach out to the buyer via messaging, no rersponse twice.  So someone has the item -- it was not return and tracked as delivered to the town where it was going?  Free merchandise and a refund.  No site is exempt from scammers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Feb 10 07:02:12 2015

"I am not that familiar with 11Main--HOW would the buyer even GET the sellers eBay info????"

Easy, the buyer simply matched up the photos. She was obviously looking at both web sites for this type of item and she noticed that the photos and the descriptions matched.

Some shoppers shop by looking at images in Google images.  Buyers on multiple sites will often use the same photos.  Even when a listing has ended on eBay or other sites the photo and "view page" are still there which on some sites would allow the buyer to see the sellers id.

The buyer in the post does sound like the all to common up-to-no-good eBay fraudster.

She may have intentionally contacted this seller off of 11 Main so that 11 Main would have no record of her correspondence with the seller.  If so, the buyer is a true fraudster.

This user has validated their user name. by: askalice59

Tue Feb 10 14:51:59 2015

@ Rexford   I think you are right about the photos.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 11 00:33:41 2015

@REXFORD---Duh yes that makes perfect sense!

Note to self--when listing items on different sites use different pics!

And presumably don't list at the SAME TIME==what if you got two bids on the same item--one that was not a duplicate?

I did a BIN listing for some one who allegedly had a problem getting logged onto ebay and some other buyer bnid on the iotem and paid immed.  I felt terrible for the buyer I had done this for but--really=--what else COULD I do?  I was bound to deliver the item to the first and paying bidder after all.

After that if a buyer askes me to do something like this I take it OFF ebay.  For everybodys safety.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 11 14:29:35 2015

Over the years I had this happen multiple times. Thieves are well organized online. I was able to cancel orders and work with Paypal who supported me every time. I had different pricing and shipping rules depending on the venue and thieves will try anything. Unfortunately sellers are completely unprotected on ebay. If someone buys on Etsy for example and then contacts you via ebay that is a red flag, cancel the transaction and move on.