Mon Feb 2 2015 15:51:45

eBay Seller Helpless in Face of Extorting Buyer

By: Reader

Just needed to vent about my frustrations with eBay. I'm a lifelong member who used to have stellar sales until years ago.

The way they treat sellers is appalling! I just got off the phone with them to report a buyer who extorted me for a refund and to keep the sold item in return for amending the negative feedback they gave me. I did both for them and they refused and declined the feedback change.

eBay sat there during my call and read all my emails back and forth with the buyer.

The end result of my eBay call: They did not feel he extorted me (of course the main extortion occurred on our private emails. "They don't count" states eBay), so they are going to do nothing.

BUT they are reporting ME for using a curse word in one of my messages. (The buyer used hundreds in his).

These are reasons why so many sellers pull out of eBay every year. So sad!
Thanks for listening.
Fed Up

eBay Seller Helpless in Face of Extorting Buyer   eBay Seller Helpless in Face of Extorting Buyer

by: michaelsams This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 16:20:59 2015

Did you look them up on their facebook? Did you google their address? Phone number? I had the same exact situation one time. Kid managed a Subway. Went in and posted over 5 bad reviews on yelp for his location with his name in them. Then started slamming the other locations owned by the same franchisee. The kid got fired. I was left with a negative and some really warm and fuzzy feelings.

Car dealers are my worst customers. They complain up a storm and try to screw me, just because they are car dealers. It's easy to pad your profits on my back. One guy never sold another car on ebay again after I "bought" 7 of his cars. That was an expensive lesson for him on who to screw.

You don't need ebay support. Support yourself.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Feb 2 16:57:41 2015

Buyers on eBay are going to continue their extortion because it's common knowledge that eBay will do nothing to them. If you're a buyer on eBay, you're a little angel and can do or say what you want with no consequences. eBay is FreeBay for scammers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Feb 2 18:47:53 2015

---- ''eBay is FreeBay for scammers.''

Indeed. It didn't used to be that way. I'd occasionally run into a PITA or exceedingly picky customer, but not too often.

Unfortunately, with the Donohoe era, eBay had policies that actually encouraged and rewarded the type of behavior described in the OP's letter.

One of the reasons that I decided to move on from eBay was the RISK involved with listing. I'm not in the business to give away my items. I've got better things to do with my time than to spend HOURS on the phone trying to report a shoplifter/extortionist. In what reality does it make sense for me to spend an hour on the phone trying to chase down a 50-cent credit on a FVF from a customer return/refund?

It's not worth my time to chase pennies... and it's not worth my time to lose dollars.

What a racket! God bless anyone who stays. Congratulations to anyone who finds success at eBay.

Ebay made it clear to me that they didn't want me. And I made it equally clear that I didn't NEED eBay.

by: Writings on the Wall This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 19:20:50 2015

Is there a more-hated selling platform that Ebay????

by: harkinfan This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 19:25:33 2015

Way back before JD, when Gold Power Sellers still had account managers a purchaser bought 38 items from me and only paid for 12.  "Its too much to pay out all at once" was her reason.  10 minutes after confirmed delivery of the 14 items, she filed for "items not received" and gave me 38 negative
feedbacks saying I did not ship her goods. This was my second year of selling on eBay and it put me below the 98% satisfaction rate as eBay counted all 38 negatives against my positives.  (Different than the rate calculation beside our name, there it was only counted as 1).  I spoke for hours with my eBay account manager.  I pointed out that she never paid for all the items and the ones she did pay for, she filed a false claim to get her money back after receiving them.  My account manager sympathized but I lost my Power Seller status.  I had to earn 1,900 positives to balance it out.
I should have left then.

by: harkinfan This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 20:01:21 2015

In March 2008 I came home from vacation and found a nasty message from my account manager (Yes, I was a Gold Power Seller) telling me that I am about to be suspended from eBay for unprofessional conduct.  I had a buyer in Europe that bought several items from me and claimed that one of the earrings were "dirty" and I better watch myself.  I responded with "The earrings I sent you were brand new, but you are welcome to return for a full refund."  My account manager did not like the "tone of my email" and said I called the Buyer a liar by saying "The earrings I sent you were new".  Purchaser also demanded that I give him positive feedbacks.  He retaliated with several negatives because I declined.  He was real bad news.
Then my account manager said that I did not answer my emails, that I did not address my buyer's concerns,  and when I did, it was over a week later. This was not true.  I answered all my email the same day but I did not use the eBay Message forwarding, I answered through my email with my internet provider.  I was told that this was unacceptable.  This is when I found out that they read all our emails through eBay's Message forwarding.

That really surprised me. Sometime before this incident, I sold a Swarovski tiara.  The purchaser was livid because I did not falsify the customs declaration and she had to pay duty.  She wrote that "God told me you owe me a refund".  I refused so she filed a claim for "item not received".  I did not have a tracking number so she won.  After she got her refund, she thanked me for the free tiara.  All this was through eBay's Messenger Forwarding.
I contacted my Account Manager at the time and she said they were not allowed to read any of the emails.  I sent her copies and she claimed they could not act on it because all emails were of a private nature and Privacy Laws prevented them from acting on them.

by: troglites This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 20:16:50 2015

Ebay has no problem lying ad hoc whenever it suits them - these days they make no effort  to hide it.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 23:34:51 2015

eBay has the ability to reas any and all communications on their network/system.

Anything else is %100 BS.

eBay lies ....DUH

by: salukisal This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 3 00:32:16 2015

It amazes me that Ebay even has anyone left who still wants to sell there!  Why haven't all these folks complaining...and I do believe them and sympathize with them...pulled out of Ebay and left them for other sites?  You really don't have to put up with this kind of treatment.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 3 00:34:33 2015

finally fed up?!

Then DO SOMETHING!

Get off that site & take a few buyers with you!

Then sit back and enjoy the peace you have NOT worrying about the next eBay-SPONSORED extortionist/customer!

by: kenhotlanta This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 3 01:37:35 2015

I've been selling on ebay for 16 years...I sell vintage collectibles not suited for Amazon or Etsy. I have no complaints, but if I were to experience something like what is discussed here, where exactly could I move and have the same exposure and goodwill that I have built up?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Feb 3 03:17:27 2015

It is never a good idea to be corresponding with a buyer you have issues with outside of Ebay.  Ebay has always held that they will not review outside emails.

If a buyer writes you with an issue or about an issue outside of Ebay, copy and paste it into an ebay email and then respond to them.  Also tell them to converse in Ebay only.  It is in your best interest as a seller.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 3 06:07:07 2015

I think it's time to file a BBB complaint.  Has anyone thought about that move - instead of a class action lawsuit?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Feb 3 07:09:32 2015

Writing says "Is there a more-hated selling platform that Ebay???? "

Well no, there isn't.  :)

And I LOVE my website and the other stress-free sites I list on.  The most stress free???  eCrater.   What a joy eCrater is.  Sorry for the eCrater plug, but they deserve the praise.  I BUY and SELL there.

by: ewegolf This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 3 07:15:57 2015

@Chicago48.  ebay has roughly 2,000 BBB complaints filed  against them annually.

by: Katie This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 3 07:25:01 2015

You should have reported them to ebay when the crime happened, but instead you participated in it.

You were in the wrong and, for a long time seller, should have known better than to respond to threats.

Katie

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 3 07:27:45 2015

Ive had sucess getting scam buyers bad feedback remove. The only way to get it removed, is wording your emails carefully. You have to makes sure you include the word feedback in your emails. They refuse to read between the lines. I got a buyer that said i'm waiting for your response before posting feedback. I knew what was happening. So instead of letting my passion take over i slept on it to calm down. The next day i replied with(what would it take for me to do for you to post a favorable feedback?) Buyer said he wanted to keep the painting but wanted a partial refund BOOM!GOTCHA! that is in fact feedback extortion. Says so right in ebay extortion feedback rules. When i called INDIA they tried to say it was MY idea of fe and i said NO! ITS EBAYS RULES. neg removed. did it 2 times. but after that i stopped using ebay because it took 6 weeks for all that to go down. plus the buyer was supposed to return painting but never did. Jackass in Atlanta.

by: redheadedlady This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 3 08:04:49 2015

I must say all but one of my buyers have been very positive in what I sell.
I am on ecrater and sell may 2 items every 6 months.  Very, very slow for me.  Etsy is coming around and doing fairly well.  I am also on Bonanza, Shopify and have my own website but none even compare to ebay unfortunately.  I would love to have the business I do on ebay in another venue but for me,there are none around.  11 Main asked me to come on board when they started but then decided my pictures were not worthy of their site so that ended that.  Oh well.  I just keep dealing with ebay and guess I will go down with the sinking ship.  They really are the best for my sales.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 3 09:19:10 2015

this is a perfect example of why you need to keep all the messages within the eBay message system. Private emails mean zero to eBay. If the buyer did indeed use feedback threat to get refund eBay should side withy the seller. But the seller needs to keep their comments business like - the more you make yourself look better and the problem buyer look bad, the better your final outcome

by: troglites This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 3 10:38:44 2015

@redheadedlady

In time, as more and more sellers and buyers leave Ebay, these other sites will start experiencing more growth. It is going to take time. They have been top dog for years, but they are clearly on a path of destruction. You are doing right to diversify. When Ebay backs up a defect from a buyer who states two new, sealed bottles of cough syrup did not work, it is just a matter of time for all sellers. It is a sinking ship - no one though the Roman Empire would fail either. I am willing to pay even a little extra to keep even a cent out of their hands.

1 2 3  [Next Page]