Sun Feb 1 2015 11:53:29

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

By: Reader

I am so very frustrated with eBay system and the amount of time any little issue takes to resolve.

Please alert your readers to verify if the defect they were told by eBay would be removed is actually removed, as in our case although the appropriate department agreed that the defect was caused by eBay's system inability to read buyers note would be removed - was not.

Here is the short version.

Buyer purchased a shirt for his wife and due to his error bought size small. In the case, buyer apologized and asked if he could return and buy medium size as his wife wears size medium. As he was encouraged by eBay to file a case he chose does not fit. Of course we responded and said will be glad to send him size medium.

eBay gave us a defect as their system is unable to read buyers' notes in cases (so we were told by the eBay rep). The same rep also said that will definitely remove the defect immediately.  This was about 2 weeks ago. Today when I checked the seller's dashboard, it was not removed.

So far this has happened 3 times to us within the past two months.

Conclusion: Just because the seller is correct and eBay admits shortcomings of their system and promises to remove a defect - it may not be the case. Additionally, fees related to the cases were not refunded by eBay even though buyers were fully refunded and purchased correct size and left glowing feedback.

These incidents are very frustrating and time consuming. We reduced our inventory on eBay from 6300 to 400 as the lack of professionalism coupled with pure incompetence is frustrating not only to us but to our buyers as well - who are frequently confused by eBay terminology, frequent changes and requests.

I must say that selling on Amazon is a pleasure in comparison. And as far as traffic is concerned we are finally selling more on our website than on eBay where sales are dismal. So hopefully this nightmare will end soon.

Ina, thank you for being there for us.

Warmest Regards,
Ania

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: Dexter Morgan This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 1 12:03:00 2015

eBay has said all along NO DEFECT for DOES NOT FIT.

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Feb 1 12:17:34 2015

eBay will say anything if they think it will keep the "noise" under control. However, what they actually do is often far different. I hope the eBay minions who read posts here are seeing all the recent messages about sellers moving to Amazon and getting substantially more sales.

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 1 12:54:17 2015

Ebay is no longer interested in manufacturing pretexts that all is well on the site.

They have focused their attention on employee layoffs, loading massive corporate debt into the marketplace, lining their filthy executive pockets, and anything else these sociopaths believe will enhance their personal wealth.

So they really don't care at this point how many sellers are going elsewhere.

These piranhas will enrich themselves even further obscenely by picking the bones of the ebay.com corpse THEY murdered along with hundreds of thousands of innocent sellers.

Does anyone know if ebay outlaws got axed in the latest purge?

Maybe like Griff or Brian Burke who are two of the most objectionable mid levels I can think of.

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 1 14:21:35 2015

Ebay doesn't care about anything but the bottom line.... If you aren't a wall street flyer or an analyst they have no desire to help you at all...

If one thinks Customer Non Support is bad now just wait until they lay off a few thousand of those losers...

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 1 15:12:58 2015

The NEXT "csr" you call will say "That rep shouldn't have told you that, it isn't true".
Sorry- we have no record of that.
You will explain it AGAIN- go through all the phone calls again until you have one who understands and PROMISES again.
rinse, wash, repeat.

MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Feb 1 16:39:00 2015

This story is just one more demonstration of the patently obvious ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 1 17:21:49 2015

This is a FACT. NO NEED for discussion.
We are way beyond this fact.
MH

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 1 17:26:42 2015

By ALL accounts, all the defect system is good for, is exterminating good paying customers, or pushing them to other venues,

Real companies want to gain, customers, not loose them, it's almost unthinkable a company would want to eliminate customers it goes against every common sense logic normal business practice, I really cannot find a similar situation of any company that has done such a stupid thing.

We are obviously dealing with very sick individuals that are currently running ebay, and their thoughts and direction are so seriously warped beyond common sense, that trying to fight ebay is useless, sort of like
trying to have a conversation with someone that is insane, sadly you can't, ebay and it's management are very sick and in need of professional help, best to just walk away at this point, like many are currently doing,

Have no worries Ania, your on the right track in getting your business moved away from this, nut house, we started making the move last year, and things are going great, much better then we could have ever dreamed,

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 1 18:50:46 2015

Just think of it.

NOBODY at ebay even UNDERSTANDS what made ebay the success it was in the 1st place.
They could have started another site to do big box but they wanted our happy buyers- WHERE ARE EBAYS HAPPY BUYERS NOW JD (AMZ)??

It's UNIQUENESS was the reason it succeeded, there was NO COMPETITION to this UNIQUENESS- it was KOOL.
JD entered a competition that Meg and he had already WON-HANDS-DOWN, BUT THEY WANTED MORE.
Every business professor at Stanford should be absolutely ASHAMED of what their PUPIL has done to this company.
8-9 years ago nobody COULD TOUCH ebay- where are we now?
We have become nothing but a part of a failed business experiment, with a horrendous reputation.
GO SELL your big boxes out, we know you will do the same to them- you are doing it now.

It is very difficult to be deceived and STARVING and to deal with you and "your customers" constantly attempting to deceive us, while we starve.
My doctor even says I need to get away from ebay! I am on so many meds now- when I started on ebay 14 years ago I just ate a vitamin. Now he says my 49 year old heart is a time-bomb and I am very TRIM and was super-healthy.
Leave before it takes your health too.
Nobody should have to live like me, I would not wish my life on anybody.
Friends don't let friends sell on ebay.
MH
Wenig- WHO'S LEFT 2 exploit??

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: Jane Dough This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 1 23:12:18 2015

MAN (or woman) UP and close your PayPal account so that you will never have to put up with this bullsheet again!

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 00:14:17 2015

I know a lot of clothes are purchased on eBay, but given the new defect policies, I couldn't imagine ever selling clothes.  So many things can go wrong with size and color, it seems to me you're just asking for a defect.

Sell a Nike Shirt tagged as XL, and if the buyer feels it's to small, you suffer.  You don't set the dimensions Nike thinks is an XL, and it can be exactly as you describe, but you lose.  There is to much risk in clothing.

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 01:33:28 2015

There is a risk in selling ANYTHING anywhere===but on ebay the risk is personal.

And yes--there are risks with clothing.  The customer might not have another item from the same company to compare to;  they may think they still wear a size 7 like they did when they got married; they may want that blouse to match their cat's eyes.

I sell clothing and do take that risk.  I am lucky that I have had few overall complaints;  but I have had some odd ones. People who place bids and win 6 or MORE identical or very similar items===and then decide WHICH one they will pay for--or which one they want to KEEP once the items get to their house! (True story one woman bought 6 ski jackets for her brother to TRY ON--and she sprayed them ALL with chemicals and washed them! I refused to take them back and for once ebay DID back me on this one)   And you run the risk that they will use or wear the item and damage it or no longer need it and return it damaged---even with a firm NO RETURNS policy we all know this is a joke as ebay will NOT back you up===and they will not back you up on sizes or damage either.

But I sell other things too and I also have odd complaints--on a  PAIR of identical motorcycle parts allegedly ONE of the items did not FIT--altho the other one DID.  I offered to ship a replacement--nope;  that was not good enough for this guy who then left me scathing Neg FB and stalked me for WEEKS until I had to report THAT to ebay---took me hours to get past this $40 sale.  When I finally got the items back they were measured with a micrometer and guess what?  They were---identical.

So==-it is selling on EBAY that gives us the RISK FACTOR--not selling per se.

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Feb 2 02:26:15 2015

There is a way to get eBay to keep their promises when you call customer service, and it's worth repeating.

Every call to eBay customer service is automatically issued a service request, or SR number.

When you are calling eBay over a serious issue such as getting a defect removed, when you receive the answer you are looking for, before you terminate the call, ask the agent to give you the SR number for your call.

Later, when ( notice I did not say if ) eBay fails to honor the promise they made to you and you have to call them again in order to get them to do so, make sure ypou have the SR number handy.

When you start the call with the new agent, give them that SR number first and ask them to look it up.  When they enter the number, they will see all the notes made during that original contact.

When the new agent does not have the notes from the previous CSA, then they are on their own.  This is when you are most likely to get a different outcome than you did with your original call.

I have found that when you are calling eBay a second time and you have the original SR number to give to the agent on the new call, the new agent is significantly less likely to over rule the previous agent's decision in your case.

So the moral of the story is to always get the SR number before ending your calls, then write it down for future reference - you will likely need it.

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Feb 2 02:48:28 2015

It is all in how the Case is opened.  The buyer has several prestated reasons they are suppose to choose from when opening a claim.  The first three are Buyer Remorse reasons and one of those is the item does not fit.  If they had of checked that reason, the claim would not have been counted as a defect.

Sounds like the buyer in this case checked some other reason and stated that they bought the wrong size.  And that distinction changes everything.

When a claim gets closed initially it is done by a bot, not a real person.  For that reason the notes are never taken into consideration.  Which is why it was closed in the buyer's favor and the defect remained on the OP's account.

Calling and appealing the decision should have taken care of this problem.  Once a real person reviewed the notes on the claim, they should have reversed the defect.  They have done this many times for other sellers that I'm aware of.

I don't know what is going on for the OP, but they are certainly right, the CS process chews up an enormous amount of time to solve the simplest of problems.

The OP will need to call yet again sorry to say.  Defects on the dashboard are not updated every day, but at least once a week.  So it could take a few days for a removed defect to be reflected on your dashboard, but never two weeks.

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 03:52:37 2015

Agree with Marie on this one. Check how the buyer opened the case, then call again, explain the situation and stay on the phone until that defect is removed. Keep the policy open in front of you in case you have to quote it, and be politely assertive. And yes, it chews up an awful lot of time - I catch up on email and little desk chores while I'm on hold. My own feeling is that I make enough mistakes on my own without having glitches chalked up to me, too!

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 05:24:20 2015

Rick is right- I use the back of a DC form from the post office- write the date, notes to help you remember the details and ABOVE ALL- get the service Request ##- then when you call back give them the SR# and give it to them right away- say- "here is the SR#- I will give you a few minutes to go over it so I do not have to explain AGAIN".

Stay pleasant but persistent.

Give them time to read it and TRY again.

This is often when they say the other csr "gave wrong info" but you have to do the call again and again until they take the damn thing off.

Say, oh no- I was transferred to the US and they ASSURED ME- of course it will be taken off, this has helped 2-3 times.

Very difficult but probably 40% successful but multiple calls necessary- and you have to be absolutely covered and professional on the deal.

This will not work on intls.- only US deals- much harder if not impossible to fix intls.- but defects do not hurt as bad- only in those countries.

Another reason to stay US only- and now UK pays no fee!

Ain't it ridiculous??

It really takes the gas out of you and makes you resentful when you list again.

What a business model.
mh

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: shesnotthere This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 08:17:00 2015

Sorry- we have no record of that.
''In 2 weeks the defect will still be there and you can spend another day doing the same thing- wait 2 weeks still there............
rinse, wash, repeat.''

Had to laugh when I read this. This is my exact experience almost every time I call. It's very frustrating to say the least.

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

by: Runs.With.Scissors This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 2 08:58:51 2015

@Massachusets Howler:

"In 2 weeks the defect will still be there and you can spend another day doing the same thing- wait 2 weeks still there............
rinse, wash, repeat"

An appropriate (and true) comment for this (Groundhog) day.

: )

eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep   eBay Makes Promises It Won't Keep

This user has validated their user name. by: MeTech

Mon Feb 2 09:59:08 2015

Like it has been mentioned this is no big surprise from
such an incompetent company.

I personally was fighting two of these ridiculous defects.
One for item not received even though tracking said delivered, a
second replacement was sent out and customer stated the first
one arrived a few days later.  Another uneducated buyer opened
a claim and was really nasty about it because he stated the
part did not fit even though the listing states the part was for
one specific machine and I have sold many of these without issues.
The buyer never returned the item and I get penalized.

Long story short, after hours on the phone and promises it will
be removed I have given up. Defects were never removed after so many
promises. This is what they want from you to give up.  Well ecrap,
I have news for you, other venues and my own website are the ones
getting my attention. As with many here I'm slowly transitioning and
the looser is.... you ecrap.

I used to work for a call center for a very big company and when
customers used to call we wrote notes on the account of their requests
or any issues they may have had.  Once a call came in again for that
same account we would put the person on hold and read to notes so the
customer didn't have to repeat everything again. We could also see
the progress of any issues being worked on the account and we could let
the customer know it was being resolved.  This system is very successful
and we rarely received angry customer calls.

I have 100% feedback and 5.0 across the stupid stars (big deal)
According to this crap company I'm not worthy of visibility because
I take care of my customers but I'm getting defects.

I forgot to mention I have other defects because because part is not
compatible so they return and I refund.  Even if they don't open a claim
and just send you a message and you work it out the refund triggers a defect.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Mon Feb 2 09:59:22 2015

shesnotthere said:

"The NEXT ''csr'' you call will say ''That rep shouldn't have told you that, it isn't true''.
Sorry- we have no record of that."

While I did take note of what Ric posted, the above quote has been applied to me several times during the reign of terror from John Donahoe