Fri Dec 11 2015 14:37:50

Seller Notices Discrepancy in eBay's FedEx Estimates

By: Reader

Curious if anyone else has noticed that the fedX shipping on the eBay site seems to charge way more than the fedX website.

When the label is printed, the shipping rate is an estimate and, as eBay says, it will be billed monthly to your account. So eBay is asking us to once again "trust" them with our money.

I don't trust them and I started writing down the numbers, and the amounts are way way more than the estimates.

I have a friend who works for eBay in the Salt Lake City facility and he told me that eBay gets a 13% kickback from all fedX shipments processed thru eBay's site. I have no solid proof but that would account for the price difference
Please use my username, thanks,
planecrashR

Seller Notices Discrepancy in eBay's FedEx Estimat   Seller Notices Discrepancy in eBay's FedEx Estimat

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Dec 11 16:43:43 2015

It's probably more than 13% actually.  And more from the USPS as well.  Large companies ship for pennies on the dollar for what individuals pay.  Ebay is raking it from shipping. Why do you think they took over the payment of shipping labels? Before, we paid Paypal, now they do. Of course, it  should be illegal.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sun Dec 13 14:36:21 2015

OP, hard to defend eBay's practices, but, at the bottom of the track and manage shipping labels page, in the fine print, it states:

" FedEx label costs are an estimate and include transportation costs, fuel surcharges, and additional surcharges."

eBay's likely excuse is that additional surcharges may vary from time to time with FedEx, so they have to wait until FedEx assesses the amount of surcharges based on destination.

That said, eBay lacks transparency in many ways and has given sellers little reason to trust or have confidence in them as a business partner.

Clearly, eBay can and should do better with regard to disclosing the full costs UP FRONT, and should be insisting that FedEX provides an application that will allow the full amount of all shipping related costs, surcharges etc... be disclosed in one easy transaction when the label at the time the label is printed.

How hard can that be?

If FedEx were pressured to create an app similar to the eBay USPS shipping module.  Said app would solve eBay's credibility and transparency issues in this instance.

This user has validated their user name. by: miketx7

Tue Dec 15 00:45:38 2015

Absolutely fine that eBay gets a cut from the discounted shipping any shipper provides, and the more discount they pass on to seller's the better of course, but they deserve a decent slice of the cash pie on such a big deal, for sure.  --This isn't a communist nation yet, despite current administration wishes.
Anyhow, I have personally just finished going back 3 months for my 2 dozen or so Fed Ex/Ebay Labels, billing charges.  In every case except for 2, the amount estimated that I was to pay, was MORE than what I  was actually charged.  In the other 2 cases, the estimated charge ended up being what the actual charge was. The complete opposite of what this seller is reporting. Just the facts.  Over and out.

by: Quality First This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 15 02:59:51 2015

Like miketx7 I find that my estimates are usually higher than the amount actually billed.

I always assumed they were taking a ''cut'', (not sharing their entire discount from FedEx) just as I do when acting as a purchasing agent.

But, since OP has found the opposite in practice, YMMV.

by: rfmtm This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 15 10:54:50 2015

First, one has to be sure their FedEx account is linked to eBay and the eBay discount rate tables uploaded before making any comparisons.

However, there still has been a long history of eBay quotes not being correct due to eBay issues.

It is always best to link your FedEx account to eBay for the discounts, but always get your quotes and print your label from the FedEx site to avoid eBay being the shipper of record and stuck in the middle of any FedEx shipping dispute.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 16 12:04:37 2015

A seller should never trust eBay!  Never!

Daily, I reconcile my eBay seller account.  Never a problem with eBay sticking me with erroneous charges, but I reconcile the account just to be sure. EBay is not trustworthy.

I resisted using FedEx through eBay at first.  I had an account with FedEx that was simple to use.
When I did start shipping with FedEx through eBay, I was alarmed by the way eBay would add FedEx charges to my seller's account and not identify that this was a FedEx charge.

I track eBay FedEx charges on a spreadsheet recording the estimated charges and the final actual FedEx charges.

Fortunately, the only differences estimated to actual charges occurred when I forgot to check the residence box.  Now when the estimated FedEx charges look too low, I know to make sure that residence box is checked.

I do recommend that eBay sellers maintain their own FedEx account.  The charges are close to what eBay estimates.  Preparing a shipment is a bit more time consuming, but having one's own account is a great backup in case eBay decides once more to screw their customers/sellers.