Wed Dec 9 2015 22:21:24

eBay Lets Deadbeat Give Seller a Defect

By: Reader

Had a very bizarre and maddening defect situation with eBay. It is resolved but I don't know how it was even possible this happened.

Just a while ago, a buyer bid on my auction and never paid. An unpaid item case was opened and closed by eBay and this person received a strike. I got the emails and my fees were returned.

About a week or two later, this buyer emails me inquiring where her package was. After research I saw she never paid! Told her so and that she should have gotten emails regarding the opening and closing of the unpaid case; and also the strike she got.

She claims she did pay on her phone and then she opens a case against me! How was she able to open a case, when it was closed for no payment???

I called eBay and got a Filipino, she confirmed she didn't pay and closed the case in my favor. A few days later, I see the defect is on my summary as item not received. What the heck! A defect for an unpaid item, WOW!

Had to call again and go through the frustrating waiting game to talk to someone. I was told it was taken care of, but it wouldn't update until next Thursday, over a week from now.

I've been through this before where I had to keep calling to get it off. I thought they could get these defects off right away! I don't get it, how this even happened.

What a waste of time, very frustrating!
Signed,
ebaymadness

eBay Lets Deadbeat Give Seller a Defect   eBay Lets Deadbeat Give Seller a Defect

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Dec 10 03:00:57 2015

No, when it has to do with cases, they can't get them off your dashboard that fast.  They don't run updates daily.  But it won't affect your status because is should be updated long before the numbers are used for your eval.  That is part of the reason they have the 20 day lag.

You are right, it is frustrating.  I've been through exactly what you went threw with this one.  Ebay will eventually get it right, but sometimes we have to put in way to much effort to make sure that happens.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 10 04:06:35 2015

If a buyer never pays, there is no reason you should have to wait for eBay to "eventually get it right". The idea that a non-payer can open a case is totally absurd.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Dec 10 06:59:18 2015

I'm guessing the deadbeat is still on eBay bidding.  Paid with her phone.  Good one.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Dec 10 09:14:19 2015

More poor programming.

I know there are at least 3 different ways to leave feedback and 2 different ways to add a tracking number.  They all have different rules and/or different error messages.  No doubt the entire site is like that.

You really have to wonder how some duhvelopers find work.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 10 11:12:57 2015

@RKTOYS How do they find work? They apply to eBay!

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 10 15:41:34 2015

Cases do not take more than 2-3 days tops to come off the dashboard.

by: Santini This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 10 18:49:17 2015

The words of Lewis Carrol, author of Alice In Wonderland come to mind when I read about ebay's inner workings:

“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 10 22:50:09 2015

Every request or case I have had, regardless of outcome immediately causes my visibility to drop and sales to fall off. It has happened EVERY time. The recording of a case, which causes it to display on the dashboard, also appears to feed the Cassini algorithm in real time.

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 00:54:04 2015

Non paying buyers have been able to leave negative feedback for years. Ebay CS reps have been giving incorrect information the majority of the time as well.

Unfortunately I can't see anything out of the ordinary with the OP's experience.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 00:59:29 2015

@ XebayX  Exactly I have had the same experience. Anytime you have a problem with a buyer (and I have never lost a case - knock on wood) my site goes dark and sales plummet to the bottom of the ocean.
The 99.999% of buyers that are happy with their purchase does not increase my sales nor saves me from the search engine black-out. I take pride in my merchandise and customer satisfaction. I wish Ebay would do the same.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 04:59:26 2015

Though I was able to have it removed, I too got a negative feedback from a non-paying buyer.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Dec 11 09:25:07 2015

xebayx says "Every request or case I have had, regardless of outcome immediately causes my visibility to drop and sales to fall off. It has happened EVERY time."

That is a fact. I see the same thing. It doesn't matter if the seller might be right and ultimately wins the case, it happens every time.

by: Lightning This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 11:35:47 2015

Seems like that problem is getting resolved - slowly.  Maybe this is the bigger problem:

''I called eBay and got a Filipino''

Not very PC, and that'll stay on your ''personal dashboard'' forever.

by: chickchef This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 11 19:24:57 2015

I was thinking the same thing Lightening! Not really sure why the fact you "got a Filipino" is relevant, the staff all have their heads up their as*3$ equally!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 12 00:50:35 2015

I have gotten --after long waits and intense arguments--actual USA based CSR's.  And in some cases they were indeed able to help.  And in some cases they were downright nasty and rude;  even moreso than the Fillipino CSR's.  Maybe even worse that you KNOW they understand what you are saying and they STILL feel the need to argue and tell you that you are wrong and that they REFUSE to actually DO what they need to for you.

This is of course when you KNOW the rules and are in the right.    And nothing like  being told by that American based CSR that your FB as a BUYER does NOT COUNT.  So--they court the buyers;  but as a buyer;  YOU are---dreck.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sat Dec 12 16:18:22 2015

@Lightning
@chickchef
You're distracting from the real problem to an imaginary one.  Saying "a Filipino" is no more derogatory than saying "an American."  It's a description, albeit one that implies a language/culture barrier.  You know, just another bit of stress on top of already having to call this company to fix a screw-up created by said company's willful incompetence.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 12 19:16:23 2015

I have had a solid WEEK of dealing with various CSR's from our ISP;  Best Buy;  Verizon  and the techs at the company we had a router from.

I had people from the Phillipines;  apparently the Middle East (not Israel where I could have actually spoken to them in a common language for part of the convo!)  and India and the US.  Jerry in India! Ali in--who knows where.  Wally at Best Buy who was from the US and completely had NO idea what my issue was and how to FIX it.

There were helpful and not so helpful people on all of these lines (except for the router co that wanted to sell me "Protection"  for MORE than the router COST---um--no thanks!)  and most of them were reading from some script.  They could just as well have been ebay CSR's.

So--- don't think it matters WHERE the people are from (other than the language issue of course)  so much as how HELPFUL the COMPANY they are working for WANTS THEM TO BE.

PS---word to the wise--if you are going to buy something at Best Buy--stop at the ATM first.  Apparently their Returns and Refunds is completely out of it's mind and the CSR could not even SEE my transaction nor the refund.  OR be prepared to DEMAND that any exchange be placed on a STORE MERCH CARD---as it SHOULD BE--as it can take them up to or over 30 DAYS to process a simple RETURN!  Made ebay look almost--reasonable!  Screwed up TWO of mu bank cards royally by not doing things the way the Store Policy is actually set out.  Sheesh.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Dec 13 05:19:12 2015

@comet
Learned my lesson years ago and won't ever go back to a Best Buy. They make even a simple refund or exchange into a long, drawn out ordeal.
I almost made a purchase on ebay from Best Buy but found out I would have to go to the store to pick up. No thanks.

Sorry OP you have to go through this. Ebay takes the lead in taking any process and turning it into a tedious, time consuming ordeal for sellers. I need to make a call to ebay about a recent defect but dread the thought. It's NEVER just one call to eBay.

Received a neutral considered a negative defect on a jewelry item. Buyer said colors looked dull compared to my photos. I swear I can't win for trying. Taking great pictures of actual item and detailed descriptions. Should I start having blurry photos and not have closeups of items? When I FINALLY have my items show and actually get a sale, this is the type of buyer I get. We all know what CSRs are going to say about the sainted buyer's opinion.

by: ebay madness This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 13 10:39:45 2015

@ Lightning

My apologies! I only mentioned the Filipino because I'm always hopeful for an American. There seems to be a language barrier some of the time and sometimes I can't understand them because of the language accent. Shouldn't have mentioned that, my mistake! I seem to be able to understand Americans better as I am an American, although I have had many, many ''unhelpful'' American CS's too.  Didn't mean to stomp on anyone's toes.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 13 16:40:15 2015

Do any of you really believe that if the Philippino's had this exact discussion in reverse (using the term ''American'') they would be least bit concerned if it was a perceived slight or offense?  You PC people have really gone over the edge.  I can tell you from having lived 10+ years actually outside the USA, this PC stuff is purely a homegrown phenominon with the hyper-sensitivity that goes along with it.  Everyone needs to get a thicker skin.