Mon Dec 7 2015 12:11:59

Why Is eBay Allowing a Phone Number in a Store Name?

By: Reader

We all know eBay has LOTS of rules for sellers - too many in fact, but what's up with eBay letting a seller like this violate 3-4 rules UPFRONT - without eBay saying anything?

User Name - Store Name: Target PC 1-888-311-4455

Listing: NEW Harman / JBL JBLPULSE2BLKUS Pulse 2 Speaker System

Have the rules changed?

Can you have your phone number in your user name?

Can you not have a real picture in your listing?

Will eBay actually do anything - or is it all just a big joke these days?
S.

Why Is eBay Allowing a Phone Number in a Store Nam   Why Is eBay Allowing a Phone Number in a Store Nam

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 7 14:49:49 2015

If you aren't a big Diamond seller you will follow the rules as its ebays playground.

Now if you are one of those big Diamond sellers you make the rules. Ebay doesn't care.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 7 15:40:52 2015

As usual - Im the trouble maker here =)

You know its an "eBay Christmas" when you have time to find these kinda things.

Heres the store url: http://stores.ebay.com/Target-PC-1-888-311-4455?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

The
store name STILL has the phone number in it - even though it was reported (by me) a few days ago.

The following items have an improper picture (ie a box with words but no picture of any actual item)

eBay item number: 151745979943
eBay item number: 151866349876

There are 14 more of this item alone that are similar to the 2 listed above.

Im no tool fool, but even I know when the paying field is uneven !

shame on you eBay!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Dec 7 19:26:45 2015

If you look at one of the listings, it shows the user ID is targetpcinc without the phone number. Also, they only have feedback of a little over 20K which isn't a lot for a seller who's been registered since 1999.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 7 23:26:19 2015

iheartjs: May have been registered but just sold parts or whatever then picked up during or after recession.Lots of things changed in recession, some did better than ever, others not. Maybe have physical store or also sell on Amazon or NewEgg has sellers too. eBay not the only game in town for computer parts.

This user has validated their user name. by: iBuyers

Tue Dec 8 08:41:47 2015

It is against eBay's policy but people do it ie:
eBay user id "1-800-598-6814"
item #331720356602

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Dec 8 11:22:27 2015

All of my ads have my phone number listed under the "shipping & payments" tab.

It's never been a problem for me or eBay. . .

by: moto-science This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 8 11:39:40 2015

I want my customers to engage.....
ask questions, fix problems, etc.
I always put my phone number in every listing from Amazon to Ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Dec 8 13:44:41 2015

The name of a store is NOT the same as the User ID.  The two do NOT have to be the same and in this case they aren't.

This has absolutely nothing to do with being a diamond seller.  If you want your phone number in your Username or store name, you can do it too according to the rules.

The rules for username does not appear to exclude the ability to use a phone number in the username.

.html

And
for a store name,I also don't find anything that says we can't have a phone number in the name.

me.html#tips

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Dec 8 13:49:54 2015

I think some of you are confusing this with the rules regarding what you can have IN your listing.

Ebay states: Listing contact information (including home page web addresses that promote websites outside of eBay) in the title, subtitle, item location, or images is only allowed when the item for sale is a domain name.

Now I have to say, since Ebay doesn't allow this info in the body or title of a listing, I think the logical person could easily assume it could not be in the Store Name or the Username.  Personally I see this as conflicting policies.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Dec 8 13:55:09 2015

@toolguy

Probably not the best thing to state here.  It is just one of those things that you just haven't been caught yet.  I posted links to the policy above.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 8 14:42:15 2015

Marie :)

You may be right - but I need to then ask (maybe you understand it all better then I) ...

Whats the "real" aka mean difference between posting a phone number in a listing vs store name vs a selling or buying ID? Wouldnt it all "be the same".

Yes eBay rules are confusing (at times) (most times) but personally, I see no difference at all.

As well there are ALOT of his listings that dont have real pics of items.

My point wasnt to get eBay to punish him in any way - but to see if they are relaxing certain issues that they had before and maybe return some sanity to eBay.

If the idea is to stop people from having offsite sales - then whats the difference where you can have a phone number?

BTW - to prove (or to not prove) your point (and Im sure the CS agent was wrong), she told me that having that phone number there was against eBay policy (as apposed to your links on eBay its self saying it IS ok).

With eBay, some times the right hand and left hand dont know what each other are doing!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Dec 8 14:55:21 2015

@pace306

Oh I just posted the Ebay policy.  As I stated, I find them conflicting policies.

If you want to have your phone number in your store name, anyone is allowed to do it.  You can do it if you choose.

Ebay isn't treating this big seller on THIS issue any differently than any other seller.  It is allowable on Ebay.

I agree with you, if Ebay is bent on stopping off site sales, the logical personal would assume this was a no no.

I posted the Ebay policy.  I think your CSR was confusing it with the Listing Policy on what is allowed in the body of a listing like some have here.

BTW - this isn't my point, again I ONLY posted the Ebay policy.  I didn't write it nor do I agree with the conflicts.

FYI - Sellers are allowed to have an area in the heading of their store where they can type in whatever information they want.  Most will just talk a little about themselves & what they have to offer.  Or maybe a special they are running at that time.  In this area you are also allowed to post your Email address and/or phone number.  It does not breach any rules.

A couple years back, Ebay started sanctioning sellers who had an email address or phone number stated in their store heading.  At that time I had had my email address stated in my heading for 10+ years.  This sanctioning of sellers didn't last long because Ebay realized they had no rule specifically written to address it.  So from time to time you might see a seller with contact info in there store heading.  As for me, I took mine out just in case they decided to do it again.  As we all know how consistent Ebay is.  LOL

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 9 06:21:47 2015

The OP should report this to Griff@ebay.com
Calling does no good unless it's escalated to a supervisor.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Dec 9 10:26:23 2015

@chicago48

It would do no good as the seller has done nothing to break any Ebay rule.  I posted links earlier, but if you'd like them again, just ask.