Fri Dec 4 2015 19:55:16

Offer of PayPal Credit Is Distracting to eBay Buyers

By: Reader

I just noticed something new (to me, anyway) on listings when I was doing comparisons on eBay today.

Under the price of some items priced at $99 and more, it says, "From $30 for 6 months." Clicking on that takes me to an offer for a PayPal credit line. There appears to be 0.0% interest rate, which looks nice for buyers.

How does this affect the seller?

What if the buyer defaults on the payments?

We require immediate payment on our items. Can we end up having to repay PayPal if the buyer doesn't make the payments? Or will we be getting our money in monthly payments instead of full payment before shipment as we do now?

Have the sellers approved having this offer on the listings they paid for?

Even if we are not at risk if buyers default, I would not like having this offer on my listings. It's another intrusion that could make potential buyers get distracted, slow down, and potentially move on without buying what they came to see.

What is your opinion of this addition to sellers' listings?
drbev

Note from the editor: Please see related blog post about the use of services like PayPal Credit.

Offer of PayPal Credit Is Distracting to eBay Buye   Offer of PayPal Credit Is Distracting to eBay Buye

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Dec 4 21:48:51 2015

As an occasional buyer on eBay, it is very distracting. On more than one occasion I have almost accidentally clicked on the PayPal Credit button. I wish they would make it harder to choose PPC as the payment source.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Dec 5 02:45:19 2015

PP has been offering this service for a long time now.  They purchased Bill Me later a couple years ago or more.

It does not affect the seller.  The seller gets paid in full.  The buyer has to get approved for the credit with PP and then it is between them.  But the seller gets there money.

If a claim is filed at some later time, then it would get processed like any other claim.

by: RLS This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 5 09:43:55 2015

Not sure why anyone would have a complaint regarding this. It is a free. Finance arm of your business without any downside. Seller is paid immediately and no responsibility after that. . It has been on there for several years. Too many complaints and not enough solutions when it comes to the comments. It is business and change is inevitable. Frankly many of the changes ebay makes seem counter productive and stupid  but we must adapt or get left behind. We tend to forget The growth issues of the past and call them the glory days of ebay. It was never easy folks. Never. Going forward I personally intend to focus more on developing my site and less on ebay. Less personal whining and more problem solving. This  comment is not meant towards any one specifically but as a reminder to all of us. Change is good it eliminates the  weak and creates  opportunity for others.

by: joyful17 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 7 01:13:46 2015

Have no problem with this...many sellers offer 3month payment plans....and then have to wait until final payment before shipping.
Never have a problem being paid by PP...either with eBay or ETSY. Only accept payments from either site through PP.

by: ConnecticutGal This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 7 23:29:53 2015

@Marie -- you're correct, it's not supposed to affect the seller.  However, I've already had a handful of potential buyers ask me how my "layaway" works.  After the first person asked, I finally figured out that it was this PP credit thing.  She didn't buy when she found out it was Paypal.  The other potential buyers evaporated after I let them know it was a PP program.  It's confusing to buyers.

by: Shawn This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 8 14:28:59 2015

I have a collector friend who uses this a lot, and she buys expensive stuff. I've used it too, when I don't want to pay in full immediately. But sure, complain and ask to remove a program popular for buyers. *rolling my eyes*

If your shoppers disappeared, it's probably because they don't have good enough credit to qualify.