Wed Dec 2 2015 10:48:41

Amazon Handmade Poses Threat to Michaels and Craft Supply Stores?

By: Reader

Re: Crafts on Amazon - I have been thinking about Amazon since the announcement. I make glass bead jewelry with crochet. My own patterns. I have been to both Hobby Lobby and Michaels this week getting beads, etc.

I believe Amazon's sudden interest in crafts has to do more with craft supplies than it has to do with handmade items.

Amazon is out to take a good share of Hobby Lobby, Michaels and other large craft suppliers' sales as well as open the market to the Chinese and flood the market bringing down the market prices to where Americans can't compete.

It is my opinion that Bezos seems to get off on beating up on large retailers, suppliers, etc., just like Donahoe goes out of his way to squeeze small sellers and disrupt people's lives.

I think they are both megalomaniacs and that is being polite.
Tiffee

Amazon Handmade Poses Threat to Michaels and Craft   Amazon Handmade Poses Threat to Michaels and Craft

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Dec 2 13:12:30 2015

@Tiffee (OP) - I don't know what kinds of beads you use, but the steampunk findings and beads that I buy for the jewelry I make are all clearly marked "Made in China." So the Chinese are already flooding the market as far as jewelry supplies are concerned, and I doubt that Amazon is going to make a dent in the business of Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 2 15:15:42 2015

My other obsession (hobby) is sewing and knitting. I am sure ordering beads online would be much easier, especially with a 2 day shipping. But for yarn and fabric, I want to be able to see and touch what I am buying. Is the color correct? Is the yarn itchy? I dont think the big stores are to concerned.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 2 18:53:34 2015

@OP Go to Ebay and type in Glass beads in the search. Millions of them come up, mostly from China.

I would hardly think that Michael's or Hobby Lobby are concerned about Amazon.

by: Noneya This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 3 00:55:47 2015

Nope - The stuff you buy online comes from China and all the Made in China entails: mystery metals, lead, zinc and pewter mismarked as solid brass or silver, you get the idea. It's the exact same stuff you can by at Michaels or Hobby Lobby there is no compitition there. The only difference in buying online is it comes directly from China to you and the cost is less but you wait 2 or 3 weeks for it to arrive.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 3 01:46:37 2015

Hobby supplies are big money for craft stores.
I personally want to look at the beads I buy. Yes most come from China, but color and finish is something you have to see and check for yourself. I don't use metal findings in most of my jewelry except for stainless steel. As for buying direct from China, Never. I try and support American businesses as best I can even if I have to pay more. It is we who live in this country that need the support of our friends and neighbors so we have a job or business. Sending money directly to China for merchandise hurts US economy.
The Chinese by manufacturing the item and then selling the item direct with free US postage delivery, allows them to have their cake and icing too.
In the meantime, we Americans get to stand in unemployment lines and file bankruptcy. Most never realizing they are out of work because they failed to support their own neighborhood.

by: ewegolf This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 3 08:01:59 2015

It really depends if Amazon, as it has done in other areas, goes to predatory pricing.  Then Hobby Lobby and Michaels will definitely be concerned.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 3 10:31:12 2015

I haven't checked out Amazon's handmade area yet, but I do sell craft supplies on line and what I see as bad competition to normal sellers are the 'penny' sellers and the Chinese sellers that come in take over a category that has nothing to do with what they are selling, jack the prices up and the poor schmo that find those listings and the high price will think it is a hard to find item and will fork over for it, not knowing that a simple search will find many more of the same items all within a much more normal price line. I don't see Amazon, at least yet, putting a dent into the business of craft supply stores but they do come in handy to get supplies that you can't find locally.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Dec 3 11:02:14 2015

Toolguy has a question for you handmade ladies out there.

When the father in law passed away a few years back the wife and I inherited a LARGE supply of jewelry supplies. I'm talking about 2000 lbs of beads, glass, and all kinds of things I know nothing about. My guess is all this stuff is 30-50 years old. His wife was into making this stuff and selling it at shows and swap meets. Some of it real but most of it is costume.

Where would be the best place to sell all of this stuff?

eCrater, Etsy or eBay?

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 3 11:40:02 2015

Seriously? why even have this conversation? Have you actually been to Amazon handmade? It's a mess. And certainly doesn't portray what I'd like to shop for when looking for "Handmade" I doubt anyone needs to be nervous - from where I'm sitting Amazon is way in the weeds and doesn't have a clue. Pretty sure Etsy - Hobby Lobby or anyone else is worried. I went there and was hard pressed to actually find the hand made stuff.

by: Jane Dough This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 7 21:48:47 2015