Mon Nov 30 2015 13:34:35

Regular Seller Knows When eBay Messes with Database

By: Reader

Good afternoon, we hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday.

We have been experiencing numerous ups and downs in eBay's system since Wednesday evening. Missing pages, cannot respond to messages from customers. Cannot see photos, etc.

We were told this afternoon that eBay is working fine. But when pressed for better information we were told that eBay is only optimized for Google Chrome, that it has not been optimized for IE or Firefox by this CSR.

Now while we have come to mistrust CSR's statements over the years, it is interesting they did not seem to be trying to get us off the phone or ask us to use Chrome instead of IE or Firefox. Could it be their green screen gave them this information as a response????

The other thing, I travel a lot and use Chrome with my Android phone, I seem to have similar issues with mobile apps as well on eBay, we even have had customers cancel orders this week due to not being able to process mobile orders.

We can as regular sellers almost always tell you when they are messing with their database. New requirements, difficult logins, selling slows to a crawl instantly, photos that met requirements for years no longer meet requirements, yet when you review them they do. More information needing on listing header description (they need to open this field to 1000 characters for some listing suggestions (not sure what all the other data is doing in other fields). They seem to have a very difficult time understanding SEO, database structure and general web usage by folks out there.

So, I guess we will simply logon with Chrome, use it with its giant security flaw (until fixed) and struggle on, now 65%-80% of our sales are off-eBay, 5 years ago 90% were on eBay. Pretty interesting management is not seeing the match between bad database and slower sales.

Thanks for listening as always. Keep up the good work.
JH

Regular Seller Knows When eBay Messes with Databas   Regular Seller Knows When eBay Messes with Databas

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Nov 30 15:31:43 2015

OP says "It's pretty amazing for a company as old as they are and as large as they are that there is no the staff on hand to get this right."

Mark my word, they have the money to fix it all. They just prefer to give empty suit ex- CEOs and C-level officers huge salaries, bonuses, stock options and golden parachutes.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Nov 30 17:42:43 2015

This thing with the various Chrome vs IE vs Firefox, etc is not new.  For whatever reason Ebay has, they rarely have them all updated at the same time.  I liked IE and used them for many years, but 3 years ago or so, I was having so many problems so I switched to Chrome and all my Ebay problems went away.  Well the ones due to logging in and presentation of listings.

Do keep in mind that Ebay is having multiple problems over the last several weeks.  They have been widely reported here and on the Ebay boards.  And even Ebay has made a few announcements about some of the issues.

It is a mess out there right now and the worse Cyber Monday I've even seen.  I'm confident that has a great deal to do with all the Ebay problems.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 1 00:26:05 2015

Outtages across the board.  Even AMZ is having outtages.  I don't know about browsers, but because of freeze-ups, I changed to Opera as a browser.  I also have Maxthon as a browser.  FF IE and CH are the worst browsers and I still don't know why.  I've searched all over for answers to the freeze-ups, time outs, and slowdowns.
For me, Opera and Maxthon work.

by: Bubbles This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 1 00:31:19 2015

Yes, we always know when eBay are fiddling with the system - sales slow to a crawl. It is even happening this time of year when sales usually skyrocket - not so this year.

Ebay have really dropped the ball this holiday season.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Dec 1 00:42:07 2015

The browser I loved was Safari, but then Apple stopped up-dating it for Windows, so I had to switch. I hate IE; every time I try and use it it crashes. Firefox is the best of what's left.

by: Go tell the Spartans This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 1 00:51:05 2015

I don't know about you folks, but 2 years ago we decided to go ahead with our own online store, and I'm proud to say that after a lot of work, we have more than doubled the revenue we received from eBay and no fees! We will eventually convert our eBay sales to one-off items and junk and let it go. Couldn't be happier.

by: imbloated This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 1 01:28:35 2015

JH: Where do you sell now? With what have you replaced eBay?

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Tue Dec 1 01:37:12 2015

I have used FF for years and I always keep it up to date and have nevr had a problem with it. The problem is eBay and the patches they have been doing for at least the last 14 years. I know many people that will not use eBay at all anymore because of the simple fact they can not find what they are looking for.
eBay is a place to sell your junk and close outs and that is all it is god for. If it ain't cheap it will not sell.

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 1 03:13:01 2015

Maybe too many MBAs and not enough tech?

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 1 08:04:36 2015

@ Go Tell the Spartans -- bravo. It is a lot of work but well worth it as you say to be in charge of your own business for a change. I bit your web site isn't down every other week!

by: quovadis12345 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 1 08:56:35 2015

We too have had missing pictures, especially thumbnails in active listings. We have also noticed markdown manager never ends discounts on wanted day. Since September 2015, sales have come to a grinding halt. It is as if, we are not visible all the time. Some sort of rotation Ebay performs.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ihatethebay

Tue Dec 1 09:33:52 2015

I really hate that Ina still hasn't made her entire website open up to comment AND that we can't directly comment on other comments.

On another subject (since I can't comment on Ina's news story), John Dontwannaknow is out looking for work. Funny, I could swear that I read here on this blog that he was going to take over the helm  at Pay-pig. Anybody????

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Dec 1 11:00:46 2015

@Ihatethebay - JD is currently in charge at PayPal. Haven't you noticed all the glitches recently? I think the glitches at PayPal coincided with JD's arrival.