Sat Nov 28 2015 14:15:08

Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?

By: Reader

Greetings Ina,
While browsing the sell function on my android phone today, I saw that eBay has commas suggested in their title maker.

My question is whether or not commas are good to put into titles now (as they seem to be suggesting) and whether commas will show up in titles of listings now (or if they will be switched back to spaces by default.)

I heard that commas were bad previously, but maybe now they may be good?

Thank you, Ina.
Cheers,
D

Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?   Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?

by: Owen This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 28 15:49:22 2015

Why waste short title spaces with punctuation marks? Those spaces are needed for important words.

Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?   Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Nov 28 16:02:32 2015

@D (OP) - I would suggest that you do not use commas in your titles. I read in an article about Google Attributes (which I can't find now) that s seller should keep characters like "+" or "/" and others, out of their titles. My husband tried to explain it to me, which has to do with computer languages (HTML, JavaScript, ASP), and he called the Google programmers "lazy." To be on the safe side it would probably be best to remove all characters that aren't essential.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sat Nov 28 18:51:57 2015

eBay's recommendations are a joke.  Every time I list, I fill in the drop-downs for brand/size/condition/origin/etc.  And every time, they suggest that I waste my 80 title characters on repeating the same information.  If your bungled search engine can't find it in its own field, how can cluttering up the title with generic tags help?

Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?   Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 29 07:25:52 2015

Just follow the old adage
" Keep it simple stupid "

Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?   Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Nov 29 11:36:53 2015

Yes, I just love the "Tips for Selling on eBay" that eBay sends out non-stop to long term sellers.

Tip for eBay--EXPOSURE.  Give us exposure and stop hiding our listings and we will sell.

Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?   Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ihatethebay

Mon Nov 30 00:20:25 2015

Commas, shmamas.

I use good grammar & diction; excellent photos and the items either didn't get seen or if they did, the bozos always ask a dumb-ass question that was already answered in the text and/or photos.

People are just too f*cking dumb, that's my experience.

Besides, why would want to still sell on the Feebay???

I declared my independence from the bozos in San Jose on July the 4th of this year.

Now I know how a battered wife feels!!!

Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?   Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 01:07:18 2015

I try to paint as complete a picture of the item in the title as possible (since buyers tend to ignore descriptions).  Punctuation marks take up valuable spaces, so I leave them out.  Titles don't need to be complete sentences, but they do need relevant keywords.

Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?   Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Nov 30 01:55:28 2015

Ebay's recommendations:
Adding their recommendations for title creates additional recommendations for item specifics. Adding their recommendations for item specifics creates additional recommendations for title. Dizzy yet? And adding to the ridiculous is listing type: Items in this category sell best as an auction. However, IT IS already in the auction format. Changing to fixed or auction, doesn't matter. This ''suggestion'' comes up.

When listing with 6 or 15 or 20 photos, it doesn't matter. For listings in this category, we recommend uploading 2 or more photos, which may increase your chances of selling by 6%. So this is proof that my listings are hidden since I always give plenty of photos.

The piece-de-resistance is the recommended start price of .99 cents.

So ebay can stick their darn commas where the sun doesn't shine.

Can anyone else hear the distant sound of bugles playing taps on ebay? I can't SEE them but I hear them.

Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?   Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 02:16:39 2015

@Bitbybit---This is why the bugler playing TAPS at a military funeral is HIDDEN--no one wants to be THAT GUY.

Why waste whatever chance we MIGHT have on actual description on punctuation???

as some one mentioned--if no one is SEEING the listing and no one is READING the DESCRIPTION==-=nothing CAN sell.

I get a bit tired of the endless questions and absurd "Best offers"  and the LIST THIS  FOR 99 CENTS--DO IT NOW!!!!

Ebay remains broken and adrift.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Nov 30 10:07:03 2015

@Ihatethebay

Last night, I started recording my figures for a local show.

$45 table, 6 hours, 7 sales, $160 (up from last year but still poor)

Then I go look at eBay for the month.

$32 subscription/fees, 720 hours, 1 sale, $70

I admit that I did not run any riot-inducing black Friday sales but there is no way that you can compare those numbers and conclude that eBay's performance was anything but an embarrassment.

Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?   Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 10:34:52 2015

Regardless of what that great book ''Eats, Shoots and Leaves'' has to say about comma usage in general, commas in eBay titles are simply handled as separators by the system when indexing the terms in your title. Thus ''Alpha Beta Gamma'' will be indexed the same way as ''Alpha,Beta,Gamma'' or ''Alpha, Beta, Gamma.''

The computer doesn't care, so as long as your reader will understand what you're saying without some crucial comma in place, you don't need them.

Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?   Are Commas in eBay Titles Recommended?

by: The Grey Fox This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 14:49:04 2015

My recommendations based on nearly 20 years as an eBay seller (longer than almost everyone who works at eBay, including all the execs): Use punctuation if there might be confusion without it. Remember, the purpose of titles (and descriptions) is to attract potential buyers, not to make life easier for you.

To save space, I often use hypens with no spaces between separate parts of a title (such as between a book title and author's name) to avoid confusion. I also use semi-colons to separate parts if they will prevent confusion. You can also use an ampersand (&) to save two characters. EBay's system will now allow most punctuation and common characters. This generally will make no difference in search engine results.

But my number one tip is, don't use capital letters except as the beginning letter in a proper noun. Capitalizing every word causes confusion because the reader cannot quickly tell where, for instance, the title of a book or DVD ends. And never, never, ever use all-caps in titles or descriptions. They do not help your item get more notice, and in fact hurt your exposure. Extensive research proves people have difficulty reading all caps, especially in incomplete sentences as often found in titles. The research also shows that all-caps irritate people because they feel as if the writer is yelling at them (think how announcers yell at you in TV car ads).

Write titles and descriptions (and every item should have a description) in simple sentence structure using easy to understand words. Avoid jargon and bloviated language, and avoid gratuitous use of adjectives and adverbs. A carefully chosen adjective or adverb in the right place has more impact on the reader than a piece where every noun or verb is modified.

And please don't give potential buyers a laundry list of all the things they must or must not do in order to buy your item. Keep everything positive. Put your do's and don'ts in your terms of sale, and in a smaller font than your description. Even then, keep the wording positive or neutral (our example: "Payment is expected at the time of purchase" rather than what we often see, "Buyer must pay within two days or we will file unpaid item claim with eBay") The first nicely says we expect you to pay immediately, while the latter says nastily that you don't have to pay us for two days.

A good practice to follow is to read your titles and descriptions like you're the buyer, not the seller. If they offend or don't appeal to you, they definitely are not going to appeal to the potential buyer.