Sun Nov 22 2015 11:36:14

eBay Excludes Sellers from Earning PayPal Cashback

By: Reader

I have a PayPal Mastercard Business Debit card. I have held this account for more than 10 years. I used to get 1.5% back but since (CEO John Donahoe) took over they have lowered the cash back amount to 1%. I expect they will lower even further and eventually lower it to zero if he has his way.

When eBay owned PayPal they would not let you use that card to make purchases on eBay and therefore not get any cashback. This is also true of eBay shipping. So if I try to use a business card to conduct business on eBay as a seller I am told I have to use PayPal funds directly from my PayPal account with no cash back.

I use Stamps.com to do shipping and even though it costs me $15.95 a month I would rather not give the money to eBay if I can help it, and it's offset by my 1% cashback. Stamps.com also allows me to keep an address book with email addresses to so I can keep track of MY customers and contact them long after I am over with eBay.

I was hoping that since PayPal and eBay are separate companies now that I might be able to use my debit card to make a purchase. Ha ha! Not. I can use my PayPal card "anywhere VISA and MASTERCARD are accepted" except eBay. They do however let me use it to pay my listing fees.

I would bet this practice is illegal according to Mastercard's Merchant agreement. I would really like hear what some of the more legal savvy readers have to say about this. It's probably illegal in other ways too.

It's only 1% but it adds up.
Thanks,
Askalice

eBay Excludes Sellers from Earning PayPal Cashback   eBay Excludes Sellers from Earning PayPal Cashback

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 22 12:54:29 2015

We also have one of those business cards.....Not worth the energy to use it anymore.

We now have a capital one Venture card.. We get 2 miles per dollar spent. The best part of it is, you can buy gift cards with your mileage, or pay your card balance with it, or just take cash. Its far better than use Paypig.

We use it for all our purchases on Fleecebay and with paying our fees.

We don't use Fleecebay or Paypig shipping either. Stamps.com is much better.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Nov 22 14:42:35 2015

Also posted to another thread - admittedly not a huge Amazon shopper over the past year, BUT:

Our bank card has partnered with Amazon to give 10% cash back on Amazon purchases (Zappos participates, too) from 11/23 to end of December.

The promo is one way to give buyers incentive to at least give Amazon's offerings a look . Most of our gifts get shipped to various states these days so we will definitely be giving  Amazon a shot at these purchases.

Don't have one of their cards but seems PayPal aiming for the opposite?

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 22 14:47:43 2015

Honestly-anyone that trusts Paypal with a balance is nuts. They are NOT a bank-are NOT insured and hold to no banking regulations. The smart money transfers it out regularly and uses an established cash back credit card like *what's in your wallet*?. Not only that but there is a fine legal team at your credit card home base that WILL go into bat for you-unlike Paypal.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Nov 22 20:48:30 2015

Debit cards are not the same as a what most would think of as a regular Visa or Mastercard.  A DC pulls from cash you have on hand either in your bank account or in the case of the OP, their PP account.

There are much better cards out there.  With a little research you can find them and get a much better return.

Discover offers both a Business card and a regular charge card.  Both have cash back bonuses available.

Bank of America has a Visa card with good cash back bonuses.

And the list will go on.  You don't have to restrict yourself to PP's DC.  Go get a better return on your money elsewhere.

by: Eagle This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 23 01:20:45 2015

I noticed that also. They shouldn't decline it?

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 23 08:06:27 2015

I was surprised when Paypal reduced the cash back to 1% (from 1.5%). All the other popular cards are increasing their cashback and proms while Paypal has reduced them. As a result of the reduction, I changed to another card that just increased from 1% to 2%. I had been charging upwards of 5k a month on my Paypal card, now the other card gets that business.

by: Susie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 23 09:24:52 2015

A lot of banks ARE increasing rewards, but on credit cards - not on debit cards, so posters are comparing apples to oranges.

But I get it - another chance to bash with no solid basis.

The Cap 1 Venture card is a CREDIT card, not a debit card. I have a Venture and I also have a Cap 1 360 debit card - you get NOTHING back on your debit card. Bank of America? NO cash back on your debit!

When I first got my PayPal debit card, there wasn't another debit card anywhere (that I could find) that offered rewards. I still don't know of many/any.

Saying you can't use your PayPal debit card on eBay simply isn't true - I've used my debit card, earning rewards, to pay my eBay fees and Mission Fish as long as I've had the card. (Years.)

You also can earn rewards when you use your PayPal debit card to buy from any eBay seller who offers credit card payments.

by: Eagle This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 23 10:32:11 2015

Yes, I use to use PP debt card at Ebay too, but just last week it would get declined and had to either use a different card or PP directly?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Nov 23 12:35:23 2015

Yes, Susie brings up a good point that some seem to be confusing.

PP offers a DC [debit card].  That is NOT the same thing as a credit card.

I mentioned this early on the thread, but some are still talking about a DC as if they can actually "charge" on it and you can't.  For DCs to function, they are attached to a bank account or in this case a PP account.  A DC pulls from the money on hand in that account.  It does NOT allow you to run up a balance like a regular Visa, Mastercard, Discover card, etc.

DCs and CCs are two completely different items.

by: Eagle This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 23 12:53:48 2015

Yes, debit and credit are two different, yet you can use a debit card as a credit card, otherwise MasterCard and Visa wouldn't back it. When you use the card as a debit card you have to enter your password to complete the payment verses using the debit card as a credit card you don't have to enter your debit password. Using a debit card as a credit card just assures MC or VISA that there are funds to cover the transaction.
Even so, some are getting completely off track of the concern AskAlice raised. Ebay (or PayPal) isn't allowing people (or some people) the ability to use the PayPal card for payment to collect the 1% back. You only get the 1% back if you use it as a credit card. Even with a balance in PayPal to cover the charge, Ebay/PayPal was declining the Mastercard payment. When I experienced the decline, I could use my banks Mastercard credit/debit card, but not the PayPal Mastercard credit/debit card. Seems like Ebay and PayPal still watch out for each other saving Ebay from paying the credit card fees to PayPal for transfering monies.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Nov 23 13:45:55 2015

I'm guessing most people know the difference between a credit card and a debit card.

In general, and I am assuming this includes the PayPal cards - BOTH credit and debit are options at payment time  EXCEPT - If I understand correctly -   OP was running into resistance when using PP Debit on eBay, was wanting the perks of using her PP card but was forced to use a PayPal balance up. Was OP's card ALSO declined?

Having run into the ''must use PayPal balance'' scenario myself,  I sweep funds daily into a business account and keep a zero PP balance. Then I am able to use the card (or account) of my choosing. I never took out a PayPal Card - so the decline scenario described by some is a mystery.

Back to perks in general:  A credit card with good perks can be used in place of a less perky debit card IF you have the cash balance to pay as you go - SO, if your credit card is offering the best perks or you simply want the protection designed for credit cards - use it, then same day or once a week - whenever -  you can transfer that amount  as a payment toward your credit card.  Do not charge more than the balance that you have dedicated for your card, view it like you would a debit card. Of course, carrying a balance diminishes / deletes any perks value.

by: Susie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 23 17:05:37 2015

The only problem with keeping a 0 PayPal balance is the delay it creates when you need to refund or rebate a buyer.

It seems like every time I swept my entire balance into my bank account, I ended up with a return and had to grovel in apologies for the refund delay of 4-5 business days.

Now I hold a balance just to keep from jinxing myself!

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Nov 23 17:41:28 2015

As Susie correctly points out, refunds can be an issue with zero balance. I did add ''refund will be in form of a PayPal e-check'' to my refund policy window for a wee bit of cover.

So far, no one has had a problem with it.  Of course, there is always the possibility of a disgruntled buyer that missed reading the policy.....  But then, the ''gruntle-challenged'' crowd tend to get upset over just about anything at all.

by: vince-q This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 25 00:16:01 2015

I paid my eBay fees on 14 Nov using my Paypal debit card (as a credit card) just as I've been doing since ''forever.''

For the record: eBay was experiencing difficulties the evening of Nov 13 thru morning of Nov 14 and NO payment would process. They fixed the problem; the payment went through immediately just as in the past.

I am no great fan of eBay or Paypal but I must - in all honesty - say that both companies have treated me fairly and consistently over the years. This includes eBay CS, where they answer the phone with a ''live human'' in less than 2 minutes and problems get solved to my satisfaction almost without exception.

Same with Paypal. I can find no major fault with *anything* involving my transactions. And I've been with them since 1999 - very very pre-eBay's-takeover of PP.

Maybe its ''just me'' ....

by: Susie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 25 12:40:52 2015

@Vince - no, it's not just you. I haven't been with the companies as long as you have, but 9 1/2 years is long enough to judge.

I've had only one issue with PayPal, and while it took awhile, it ultimately was corrected. And that ain't bad for going on 10 years.

The only problem I've had with eBay was when JD imposed the crazy defect policy, holding us retroactively liable for things that didn't matter at the time of the ''infraction.'' During those spring/summer months, everything was nuts, and even CS wasn't told what was really going on.

As tough as it was at the time, those days are gone. Thankfully. Most of us adapted and made it through relatively unscathed.

The thing is, I see sooo many complaints that seem to be throwbacks to the JD days. It's time to get over it and move on.

As I've mentioned before, those with issues (real or perceived or just plain silly) shout the loudest; people who haven't had any problems rarely post, especially here where the bashing is so high. (Except for the continuous Amazon love-fest, which I find curious.)

My sales are finally climbing back to pre-2014 levels, which is awesome, and I have the same experience with CS as you. My defect rate will drop in Feb., I've had no site issues, my items are visible to eBay shoppers and in internet searches, and all is good in my little eBay world.

I think the majority of sellers are like you and me, it's just that a select few who like to complain with silly name-calling about issues they could easily resolve themselves will always get the press.

The majority of sellers have other things to do, like making money.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 11:54:39 2015

@SUSIE---I would LOVE to make money--tell me HOW.  My items (so it would seem)  are NOT being shown--how else to think of popular brands with ZERO views after 6 days--and items that ARE shown are not being shown to the ENTIRE site's shoppers else all of my (few) recent sales would NOT be to the South excusively.  -

Cold weather gear does not sell really well to those who live in FL and Alabama.  Yes--they might ski--but they don't ski like the people who live in Colorado or even here next to Vermont. So Burton items that SHOULD be flying outta here--sitting on a shelf.

Do I "complain"  about ebay?  When I have an issue with them--then yes.  IF I sold on Amazon (I don't) and IF I had a complaint--would I voice it?  Yes.

However--ebay seems to set us UP for failure.  They instantly send out a notice on all sales that the buyer is COVERED for anything--loss;  damage;  doesn't match the color of your spark plug wires.  This is NOT helpful and sets a "tone"  that says--Screw the sellers.

What OTHER company DOES this?  When  you go to Macy's--at the cash register--there is no one standing there saying====Now that you bought that nice  purse or pair of shoes---would you like to claim they are NOT AS DESCRIBED?  And return them?  And have a banner go up in the parking lot SAYING that Macy's disappointed you?   Places like Filsons and Orvis and LL Bean--they make their reputations on taking things back in case the item does not preform as expected--but that IS their decision;  not some third party "venue".  And I daresay that if they SAW damage inflicted ON an item that was NOT the result of wear--they would (and SHOULD)  refuse to take the item back.  US sellers on ebay--we are just told "Suck it up buttercup".

IF you don't like what is posted here--why ARE you--here?