Wed Nov 18 2015 16:36:06

eBay Is Making Strange Changes to Shipping Settings

By: Reader

Something very strange is happening to my listings on eBay. In my site preferences, I have selected a few continents and a few individual countries that I will not ship to.

As of November 13, eBay has arbitrarily added to of all my listings, a long list of countries that I ship to right under the US shipping price for the listing. They are not in alphabetical order and if I leave the page and then come back, the list of countries is in a completely different order.

This happens every time and to every listing of my over 1400 listings.

A customer from Australia wrote to me last night and asked me if I shipped to Australia because it wasn't in "the list". I looked myself and indeed Australia is not included but the word "Oceania" is. eBay classifies Australia under Oceania. So instead of listing all the individual countries in "Oceania", it just says "Oceania".

Who would know off the top of their head what Oceania is and what countries are in it? What kind of nonsense is this?

Why does this long list of countries rearrange itself every time I click on a new listing or refresh the same listing? This just makes it harder for me to sell. And to not list Australia is devastating to me because Australia is my best international customer country.

And to top it all off, today I have had no sales at all. What kind of new policy change is this? I spent a long time talking to a CSR at eBay last night and he had no answer for me either.

This is a no sense, nonsense, junk change that has truly negative repercussions for me. Selling on eBay now is like driving behind a truck that is purposefully scattering nails on the road since the result is that my sales are now less than 1/2 of what I was making 1 year ago.

Has anyone else reported this to you? What possible reason could eBay have for doing this? And why am I having this change in my listings when eBay is not doing this to all sellers?

If you can get any answers from eBay, I would surely like to know how they are making sense of this nonsense.
GuardianAngel

eBay Is Making Strange Changes to Shipping Setting   eBay Is Making Strange Changes to Shipping Setting

This user has validated their user name. by: DTSM

Wed Nov 18 20:54:00 2015

Another fabulous unannounced feature for ebay sellers.  My sales have dropped as buyers are confused to where I ship. The list changes randomly and is not in any particular order.

by: Katie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 00:42:20 2015

I panicked when reading your letter and checked my listings.  Not having this problem.  They must be using some sellers as tests.  I sell to Australia and Canada, the country list is still the same.

by: Carol This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 01:52:06 2015

I noticed this in my listings this week and in some others I looked at.

At first, I thought it was a problem but then realized that customers probably look on the shipping tab (which they no doubt have set to their home country) to see what shipping will cost to their country.  If THAT isn't showing a rate for a country you sell to, then I'd be concerned.

You can test this for yourself by entering Australia in the Change Country box on the shipping tab and then clicking Get Rates.

I just tested this on one of my listings, and it showed my shipping rate to Australia properly.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 19 02:59:42 2015

I've been having a problem for a few months now.  I ship worldwide.  Yet my listings are being changed to shipping to the USA, Canada, Australia, UK and something else, I forget.  I'm not doing this.  The listing was set up as Worldwide.  I can change them back to Worldwide, but then obviously that isn't the point.  I have no clue as to why they keep changing my listings.

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Thu Nov 19 06:48:03 2015

Who sits in a room over at Ebay and acutally COMES UP WITH THIS CRAP??

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Nov 19 07:12:40 2015

FEEBAY says "Who sits in a room over at Ebay and acutally COMES UP WITH THIS CRAP??"

I'm thinking some young eager beaver MBA who doesn't know his/her head from a hole in the ground.

I think that it was about five years ago when I wrote here that this house will never be built and it's still going on.  No wonder the IT infrastructure is a mess.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 07:15:37 2015

There is a button on EB's listings screen "feedback".  Use it.  I have and get instant response.  The other thing the OP can do is call CS and report it.
Depending on how many items they are listing, they should just uncheck the box.
Since EB has been fiddling around with the new website look, a lot of strange things have been happening.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 07:16:56 2015

Who sits in a room over at Ebay and acutally COMES UP WITH THIS CRAP??
^^
Since they've been modifying the website, a lot of strange things are happening.  The OP should just change it back to what they want.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Nov 19 08:38:08 2015

Yesterday I was looking on eBay for the prices certain items were selling for that I am planning to list in my eCrater store. There were two listings that, instead of just stating worldwide shipping, had every country they shipped to, which was hundreds of names, and that name block took up half of my computer screen.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 10:43:19 2015

OP Try THIS Life-Hack.  Open your account, go to the WHERE you will ship section. Highlight OCEANA and then DELETE some country in that list that you will NOT ship to... or if it only shows you the opportunity to SELECT which you WILL ship to ... SELECT the ones you want. NOT throwing shade on an entire country, but OMITTING Papua-New Guinea should be fairly painless to your potential sales and profit.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 10:59:46 2015

The more crap they stick on a page to clutter it up, the more the buyer is turned off. There have been many times that I was interested in an item only to be turned off by all the clutter on a page. Keep it simple!

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 11:12:33 2015

Two days ago while relisting items, I found that all had been changed to be opted into (our favorite friend) global shipping program.   I always deselect the global shipping program box when listing items.  I have NEVER used the global shipping program.

Just before shutting the computer down at the end of the day what do I see?  An E-Mail from eBay thanking me for opting in to the global shipping program.

I checked my active listings, and for sure 100% of my listings had been changed to accept global shipping program.

Thanks to the bulk editing tool, a few minutes later I cancelled the global shipping program selection.

Sneaky bast****!

Check, check and recheck your listings!  Daily!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 12:05:07 2015

I wondered if it was just ME noticing this absurd and insanely LOOOONG list of countries but no--not just me.  It takes up a LOT of space and does=-as far as I can see--NOTHING to actually enhance SALES.

They are all jumping about the place because they changed the LOG IN SCREEN---which was FINE as it was--but THIS is something they can't FIX?  No buyer is going to wade thru this swamp of 1000 countries and regions--and ebay NEVER used common regions ANYWAYS---that Oceania dealie was one that was odd;  no one has called it that since 1890.

And in others news I have sold NOTHING on all my accounts for 2 WEEKS now---when snow stuff should be flying outta here.  And before that I had a flurry but ONLY to the---South.  Who if anyone is SEEING my items?

Some one is sitting in that back room at FleeceBay throwing darts at a board and cackling all the way to the bank.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Thu Nov 19 12:42:11 2015

You are witnessing the beginning of the end, the blind (management) leading the blind (programmers in India/Asia).

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 19 13:00:20 2015

@chicago48

Have you tried calling Ebay in the past couple weeks?  The wait time is enormous and that is if you can even make the phone call in the first place as from time to time, they shut it down completely.

They are always updating the website in one way shape or form.  While the OP's problem appears to be more recent, the one I described in my previous post has been going on for months.

by: ssd This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 19:26:52 2015

I've got that whole mess too.  And Ebay has arbitrarily decided that I ship via First Class Intl to Russia, regardless of the fact that I have that country excluded from first class.  Woke up to a sale from Russia this morning shipping via that method.  So not happy.  Why do they have to keep messing with things, and geez why can't they wait till after the holidays if they just can't help themselves??

by: siamsuper This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 21 19:53:59 2015

Couldn't they use that space for something useful like an advertisement to buy a similar item at a lower price on another website?

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 21 23:37:26 2015

Oceania? Isn't that one of the fictional nations in Orwell's 1984? That's about where feeBay is, technologically!

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Nov 22 01:08:19 2015

Why not just add the kitchen sink to the list. It looks more like an "exclusion list" than a "ship to". It will only scare buyers away and cause more confusion IMO. Also looks like the tech team got out their old world atlas.
Quiz at a later date.