Sat Nov 14 2015 13:05:13

Amazon Artisan Seller Doesn't See Value in Its New Handmade Store

By: Reader

Why would I switch my products from my regular Amazon seller account to Amazon Handmade? I don't get it. I registered my own private brand. I sell hundreds of items on Amazon a day. I have more than 5,000 items listed on Amazon. They are all handmade and I make each one on demand as orders come in and ship them out that day.

So I thought maybe I'd get an Amazon Handmade account and have a presence there, too. I applied and was accepted.

But after looking at all the fine print, it seems that if I actually do this, I would just be killing my sales in my regular Amazon account. There are no bulk .csv uploads, which means a lot more work for me creating each listing manually. You can't move an item from regular Amazon to Handmade; you must delete it and recreate it and so you lose ratings, rankings, reviews, etc.

I just don't see how any of this this would benefit me.

My Amazon private brand handmade items are doing extremely well on regular Amazon. Why would I risk tens of thousands of dollars in sales a week and hundreds of hours of work to "move" my brand, which I worked so hard to build on Amazon, to the untested Amazon Handmade - especially right before the huge Holiday selling season?

What am I missing here? Like I said, I don't get it..."
D.

Amazon Artisan Seller Doesn't See Value in Its New   Amazon Artisan Seller Doesn't See Value in Its New

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sat Nov 14 13:50:46 2015

I was on Amazon Handmade last night for a good while and couldn't find anything to purchase. Everything just blended together with too much scrolling. Nothing stood out or looked exceptional. There were too many items to search through in each category with no sub-categories or at least I didn't see any. Too time consuming and gave up. Purchased what I needed on Amazon. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. This is just my experience and opinion on Amazon Handmade, others my differ completely.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 14 17:43:32 2015

I would think that somewhere down the road that ALL handmade items on Amazon will be required to be in the new handmade store.

These sites are sneaky like that. To avoid a major uproar they just do it a little at a time and then all of a sudden bam you are required to be there.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Nov 14 18:37:59 2015

Sounds like etsy has nothing to worry about.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 15 10:22:16 2015

Etsy has PLENTY to worry about. The gulf between hand made and arts and crafts is wide wide wide...Etsy is being saturated with a lot of junk. Sad but true.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 01:13:28 2015

I have been accepted by Amazon Handmade and since I launched in the beginning I have not sold one item yet I sell the same items in different colors etc in my other shop regularly... I think it's a joke. No visibility etc... and come time the free subscription runs out I will NOT be paying their high shop price for nothing. So far it's not worth it in this way either.

by: Louise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 01:30:30 2015

When Handmade opened I started selling immediately and was constantly outselling my items on Etsy. Sales have slowed but I don't think Amazon advertised it enough and they certainly need to improve upon categories. Some people can't even list because there isn't a category to use. If Etsy keeps on with all the changes that are hurting sellers' shops, Amazon will be getting more sellers from Etsy. And so far there is no manufacturing on AH and no imports listed as handmade. And as far as D, why would you switch over - not really a discussion.

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 03:20:43 2015

Yeah, so much for amazon handmade being dubbed the ''Etsy Killer''.  LOL
Seriously.....since they launched you hardly hear a PEEP from people ''selling'' on there.  I have to admit I had HIGH expectations.  I mean....it's AMAZON after all.
But I'm fast coming to the conclusion that Amazon honestly has NO idea how to run that kind of a site.  They just sort of THREW up a little side area on their regular site and figured .........well...........I have NO idea what they figured.  But whatever it is.....it's certainly NOT very impressive!

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 03:26:06 2015

Oh........and NO.........I don't think Etsy has a THING to worry about.  I was actually hoping amazon MIGHT give them a little competition.  But I don't see that happening.  I was planning to do BOTH but having just gone through the "debacle" that was 11 Main I decided to sit back and WATCH this new Amazon Handmade.
And after seeing the face plant of an "opening" and the subsequent comments from those on there I think I'll just save myself the aggravation.

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 08:07:08 2015

Etsy has nothing to worry about from AH- the people running it are doing a very good job of destroying the site themselves.

Furthermore, Amazon Make Believe Handmade had as much factory made, Chinese crap as Etsy from Day One. There are some great posts on Seeking Alpha about this issue and all the Etsy debacle.

by: DJD This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 08:45:01 2015

I joined Amazon Handmade and have outsold my Etsy shop 10 fold. I get a lot of views in a variety of my areas. I couldn't even get views in Etsy with all the junk on there taking up the space. No one has been minding the shop for a long time there on Etsy.

I think that although Amazon Handmade has some items to tweak, overall it has been a fantastic experience for me. Well worth it!

by: Jennifer S This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 09:45:17 2015

Obviously the OP should not mess with her successful Amazon shop in order to switch over to Handmade. That would be silly. Handmade at Amazon hasn't "shock and awe-d" anyone, but they may be in it for the long haul. Think back to when Etsy started and their years in Beta. It was a huge deal when the site finally came out of Beta. Amazon isn't nearly there yet. Heck, they don't even have many categories open.

by: Garcia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 12:42:30 2015

I am an Etsy handmade seller who also put my items on Amazon and I am certain that I will be closing that shop before the monthly fee which starts next August.  I have had zero success and actually dislike the entire process of how things are listed, shipped and followed.  I am used to the ease of Etsy and without the incentive of sales I see no point.  Also it is difficult to find anything I could possibly want to purchase so other buyers must feel the same way.

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 13:13:18 2015

I could understand and appreciate Jennifer's comments about how Etsy started slow in Beta etc etc but we're NOT talking about some "beginner" startup site (like Etsy was in the early days).  We're talking about AMAZON here.

One would think they'd know what it took to do a successful launch AND site.  But so far it's just been "amateur hour" over there.

One can only HOPE that wasn't "by design".  But regardless....it SHOULD make other sites like Ebay and Etsy take notice.  Amazon does their OWN site fine.  But they're apparently NOT as savvy when it comes to working outside of that box.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 18 22:29:25 2015

@D, I am very impressed that you can not only sell hundreds of items per day on Amazon, but make them and ship them too. You probably don't get much sleep!

@bitbybit, there ARE subcategories on H@A. I sell in Home Decor and there are a couple levels of subcategories there. I just looked at several other categories and they also have subcategories. Not sure where you were looking (or not looking); the subcategories are on the left side of the screen. You can also refine your search results by color, material, style, artist's location, price, etc.!

@Louise, I totally agree that Amazon didn't advertise H@A enough right off the bat. At the moment, however, there are reportedly a *bunch* of ads in Oprah's magazine, and today Martha Stewart launched a section on H@A for the winners of her ''American Made'' contest. Hopefully both of these things will bring many more shoppers to H@A!!!

@pfft!! I think H@A sellers are actually beta testing the site; that's why there isn't a monthly fee for the time being.

I've been on H@A since it launched. I'm not as impressed as I had hoped to be at this point, but I'm trying to believe that H@A will improve as the weeks and months go by.