Thu Nov 12 2015 16:55:55

PayPal Comes to the Rescue in Case of eBay Returns Fraud

By: Reader

Now that eBay has opened season on sellers for criminals to return garbage and claim refunds here's a little bit of advice.

I shipped $1400 riflescope to buyer in Australia. He returned to me, under the guise of item not as described, a $20 piece of junk scope. Package out weighed 4.7 pounds, his return in same packaging weighed 2.6 pounds. DUH!

He says I included huge heavy catalog that accounted for extra weight. eBay refunded his money so he has my scope and his money.

Went to PayPal and they told me if I file a claim with FBI Internet Fraud Unit they'd reimburse me. Long story short, money was credited to me.

If hit by one of those scumbags, file a claim online and you'll get some help from PayPal.
Cheers,
Craig

PayPal Comes to the Rescue in Case of eBay Returns   PayPal Comes to the Rescue in Case of eBay Returns

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Nov 12 19:49:51 2015

Way to go OP.

We no longer ship internationally due to eBay's insane "no seller protection" policies.  Recently a buyer contacted us requesting a return for an item.  Much to my surprise the buyer was located in India. Though we have a no return policy, in this case I did process a return and I HAPPILY purchased a return shipping label for the buyer for $5.35 to the address where the item was shipped. (San Francisco, California)

As you might imagine, no help from eBay "customer service".  Item was never returned and return was closed in our favor.

We've been on eBay for many years and I have never seen the amount of fraud and unethical buyers that I currently see.  And all at a time where instead of clamping down on it eBay is backing away from getting involved.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Nov 12 22:17:37 2015

@Craig (OP) - Thank you for sharing your story. I hope ever seller reads your letter and remembers to follow PayPal's instructions should they be faced with the same situation.

In the future, you might consider filming the packing of every item, especially one that is so valuable. I doubt it would help with a problem buyer from a foreign country, but if the "liar buyer" is in the U.S., be sure to threaten him with a mail fraud complaint, as well as filing a theft report with the police department which handles the area where he resides.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Nov 13 07:01:48 2015

Forgot to say.........SHAME ON EBAY!  Aiding and abetting fraud.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 13 08:55:04 2015

Oh great. Film the packing of merchandise? Why not just get sworn statements from impartial witnesses? eBay has destroyed online commerce.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 13 09:26:53 2015

I've NEVER had Paypal "come to the rescue" NEVER.

I'm glad the OP "got made whole", since I believe its the exception and NOT the case when it comes to eBay fraud.

eBay basically absolved themselves of ANY part of the sale and any issue, unless theres money in it for them.

Whether its picture theft (eBay now "allows" other sellers to steal your pics), whether its actual item/return fraud or anything else - if its not moeny out of their pocket or a thret of being sued (VERO) eBay simply walks away and refuses to get involved.

eBay does less and less all the time, and forces it all on the seller - THAT is their corporate business plan for 2016.

As for eBay local services ...... (pardon me while I stop laughing) ..... eBay couldnt even get local delivery right, they cant get Cassini "right" (it works just fine for them, just not for sellers) ... theres no way they can get this right.

Tell me - when do you think Devin Wenig ever went out and looked for a maid, or a gardener, or took his Lambo to get its $300 per tire changed? DO you see JOrdan Sweetbut ever taking his Jag to Midas? NEVER. None of them know what these things are .... beter off they should have bought Angies List.

So far, nothing is better (at least for me) under Wenig. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I'm glad Paypal steeped up and helped the OP, hopefully its a trend that will continue!

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 13 10:58:59 2015

For this reason, I have been removing International shipping from all my listings. My last 2 orders to Germany never made it there, though the 1st one say's "delivered", but eBay refunded the buyer anyway. This last one to Germany was shipped in September but tracking still shows the order at the local Post Office though they say they don't have it.

by: jacobsenra This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 13 13:19:15 2015

I had Paypal do exactly the same for me.  Contacted them about a fraud case, filed a claim with the FBI and was reimbursed. This was a U.S. case and no I do not ship internationally ever.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Nov 16 00:39:27 2015

Thanks for the tip, Craig!!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 02:15:15 2015

Thank you Craig!  As of today I might have a liar buyer--waited 6 WEEKS and now claims the item is Not As Described because HE DID NOT READ THE LISTING and see where I mention--TWICE!!!--that the item need adhesive to be secured to the part it goes on.  This might come in handy should this guy decide to try and get $$$ back.

Makes me nuts to think that I do not have the "rights"  to the money I EARN by selling MY stuff on ebay---how long do I have to leave it sit in Paypal until I can dare use it--30 days?  90 days?  365 days?  Always and forever?  Another scam to get the "float"  on OUR money because we don't DARE spend it because these liar buyers can claim it BACK almost anytime in the future.

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Mon Nov 16 04:56:31 2015

I wonder how much TIME that this took the seller??
Who has the time to deal with this nonsense??

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 16 10:55:20 2015

"He says I included huge heavy catalog that accounted for extra weight."... Right there, the, er, 'customers' indicated he did not return 'all parts and pieces'...