Tue Nov 10 2015 19:18:40

Estranged Relationships Can Haunt eBay Sellers

By: Reader

In regards to silent restrictions on eBay: I am currently experiencing this problem. Is there any way to get justice on eBay?

I was associated with a seller who shared my address at one point. Last year I was left no choice but to request that this person vacate my home. Long story short, I was unaware that this person had also stolen a substantial amount of person property from my family, which they immediately listed on eBay.

Many suspensions for various policy violations, including selling on and creating other accounts to circumvent these suspensions and two arrests for felony larceny, one directly related to the personal property sold on eBay with eBay listings subpoenaed and brought into court by the prosecution...this seller has been reinstated!

The problem, because of my past association with this seller, my sales have been effected. This began immediately following their suspension in March of 2015.

The problem was rectified, although I was also informed at that time that this seller had somehow been using my IP address and actual laptop ID number illegally from a remote location.

All was fine until this seller was reinstated in July. At that time my sales dropped immediately to within the range of what appears to be a $1500 per month selling limit.

I have received help from sympathetic eBay reps on two occasions. Once in August, and again in September. Beyond that, what was once a healthy business used to support my family seems to be dead in the water in the vicinity $1500 per month regardless of the fact that I have almost doubled the listings that I carry at any given time.

And yes, this seller has once again started another bogus account using false addresses and the information of another to circumvent the restrictions placed on their selling account since their reinstatement.

Listings that were once on this seller's own and other accounts used to circumvent, some of them permanently suspended, are now on this account with absolutely no attempt to conceal the fact that they are in fact, the same items being sold by this dishonest seller.

No one at eBay seems to be even remotely concerned, and this seller prospers while I, as the victim, am sinking. How can this happen?

Estranged Relationships Can Haunt eBay Sellers   Estranged Relationships Can Haunt eBay Sellers

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 10 22:13:41 2015

Expect no justice from ebay.

They just restricted my ebay account during the busiest time of the year because they thought I had a duplicate listing.

Items listed are clearly two different items.  Reading the description clearly shows this.

I am so frustrated and disappointed, I can barely function.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Nov 11 02:55:32 2015

@Donkey

It is not normal for one policy violation for a duplicate to cause a restriction on your account.  Did you have other violations or problems?

FYI, the bots that look for duplicate listings do NOT consider your descriptions.  They look at the pics and your title.  If those are the same, they will nail you for a duplicate.  Well unless you are a seller from China.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Nov 11 07:12:55 2015

"No one at eBay seems to be even remotely concerned."

Are't, won't be and never will be unless the story hits the front page of a major news paper or it hits them in the wallet.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ihatethebay

Wed Nov 11 09:08:25 2015

Solution: leave the bay; it just isn't worth the money.

Besides, why would you want to be married to an abusive husband???

That's how I felt when I declared my independence from Greedbay on July 4th of this year.

My sales had dwindled to a few a month (with almost a thousand items in my store) and the fees and micromanagement just continued to go up.

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 11 09:31:48 2015

@Rexford, my two anti-ebay FB groups of former ebay sellers have been calling for an investigative journalistic probe into ebay for two years now, someone like John Stossel. It absolutely will take the attention of mainstream media to achieve any justice or fairness for small sellers at eBay.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 11 09:36:15 2015

there must be more to this story. is the seller complaining about a lack of actual sales volume or has eBay put his account on a listing or dollar value limit? it sounds like his sales have gone flat but he is blaming it on the thief; makes no sense?

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 11 09:43:55 2015

Sales on eBay are steadily decreasing by the month, with or without 'problems'. Sellers need to diversify or open a website if they need the income to survive.

by: Bethofvt This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 11 09:45:31 2015

Any normal intelligent person in this situation would be consulting an attorney and taking legal action against the perpetrator, not trying to get Ebay to act as their private prosecutor

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 11 10:21:15 2015

$1500 must be a magic number for ebay.  I was grossing 6k+/- each and every month up until about 2 years ago....then my sales were stair-stepped down to the current $1500 a month.  No matter how many items, how many valuable items, how they are priced, etc....it always is in the $1500 range.  This is statistically impossible.  To have completely random AND different items AND quantities that have verified values...and yet no matter what I do....$1500.  I have called once and while the rep was sympathetic....he was convinced they do not have hidden limits.  Bull-Crap!!  Any retail store in the entire world would not encounter this phenomenon with varying stock and prices, etc.  I have actually created a chart which shows the pre and post decline and currently flat-lined at $1500 per month.  I am trying to figure out how to create an on-line site wherein other sellers can input their monthly gross totals to determine a macro pattern.  I have no doubt others are experiencing this issue as well.  Again, it is statistically impossible for this to occur on such a scope unless it is intentional.  Any thoughts or advice as to how to create the on-line macro graph would be appreciated.  If course all info would be anonymous and input by the actual sellers as I am just looking to create a data base to determine if there is a larger pattern....of which I have no doubt.  The OP's article really grabbed my attention with the $1500 gross sales totals no matter what they do.

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 11 10:55:20 2015

I totally agree with Bethofvt's comment. If the writer's situation is as critical as they are stating, they shouldn't be bothering to notify this venue here. They should be retaining an attorney to fight the fraud and theft, if there is any. I too found the writer's complaint confusing and full of holes.

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 11 11:54:49 2015

Scotty, We have the EXACT same thing happening. 12 year seller with stellar account, great items, great listings/pictures, etc etc etc...

Sales dropped in 2012, 13 and 14 by about 20-25% year to year, the EXACT stair step declines you mention. This year they are off dramatically, over 60% and oddly enough we too are averaging right around $1500 in sales per month TOO (no matter what we do). We used to do between $6,000 to $18,000 per month. In September 2014 we did $10,000 in sales, and this year it was a measly $1452 in Sept, an 85% DECLINE!... This is our WORST year since we were rookies back in the early days. SAD TRAGIC sitation! And people we have a stellar account, no policy violations, 5.0 DSRs, 0.0 defect, no negatives, everything is STELLAR!

Something is terribly terribly wrong with ebay as they are programatically manipulating sales volume and traffic. Sales come in spurts, 3-4 in 15 minutes then nothing all day... So many days with NO sales at all, just crickets because the items can't be seen as they are buried in the search behind all the Chinese listings.

Why do you think they removed the Omniture traffic reports? Of course, to hide some of the evidence as sellers were all questioning the low views and declining sales...

Ina, please do a big story on this travesty! Great quality long time sellers that were doing this full time are systematically being destroyed. I truly thought things would start to rebound and thought it was the economy, but not it got even worse!

PS: 100s and 100s of people are saying this same thing on facebook groups, ebays community board, and elsewhere. Geez, if you mention it on the facebook ebay for business page, Audrey the administrator will just delete your comment and block you (LOL), so what does that tell you? Please do a big story on this INA!

by: wasteland-mechanic This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 11 13:19:45 2015

Yeah, but what about their cool new sign-in screen? That must be what the masterminds at feebay were working on when the whole site went down the other day. Good to know that they have their priorities in order.

by: AuctionEssistance This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 11 20:36:33 2015

Holiday seasons are always the worst. We have client's accounts that get hit from every angle. We don't expect this holiday to be any different when it comes to eBay.