Sun Nov 8 2015 19:01:01

A Positive View of Online Selling

By: Reader

Thanks for publishing this very helpful ecommerce newsletter. As a buyer and seller on eBay, Etsy and Amazon, I really appreciate the informative articles you and your staff share with us.

Despite over 10 years of buying and selling I find your articles demonstrate there is always something new to learn.

A lot of us complain about policies, sketchy buyers and sellers, etc. but overall the vast majority of people I encounter are honest and reasonable. The bad apples are few and far between and the pleasure of conducting business far outweighs the occasional difficulty.

Thanks again and I hope you and your loved ones have a Thanksgiving full of gratitude.
Kind regards,
Barbara

A Positive View of Online Selling   A Positive View of Online Selling

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 8 20:16:17 2015

... really - I held back as long as I could  .. I did REALLY ....

As time passes, selling online (no matter what site you sell on) gets harder and harder.

Between rotten customers, nasty manufacturers, and abusive selling platforms - selling online can give you grey hair, ulcers and headaches.

If its not one of those 3 - its another. Most times its a combination of 2 out of the 3.

The 2 big guys are BOTH sleazy, but because they are #2 and @4 out of the top 5 in internet traffic for online shopping - theres simply no choice.

Amazon can be outright abusive. Some of the things they do may eBay look like BOY SCOUTS.

eBay? they are as sleazy and underhanded as they come.

Most of us (and correct me anyone if Im wrong) are SMALL sellers.

We live off the sales we make, and each loss takes money out of our pockets and food out of our mouths, and NEITHER care about that.

BOTH of them use sellers as bait to attract buyers - plain and simple.

Its hardly a simple thing these days to just slap up a few items on a site or 2 and sit back and watch sales come in. That doesnt happen anymore - and hasnt for AGES.

Yes there are ALOT of good customers, but like with most things - it just takes 1 or 2 rats to ruin a silo of grain.

Personally, I enjoy finding deals for my customers, helping my customers, sourcing new goods, posting them and even packing them. But most days - I spend putting out fires caused by said mouse.

Ina does a TERRIFIC job (A+) running this site, putting all the needed news out there for all to see, and even putting up with all our complaining - hats off and best holiday wishes to her and her family!

A Positive View of Online Selling   A Positive View of Online Selling

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 9 07:09:20 2015

@pace306:  I am sure the bricks & mortar retail stores feel the same.  I was at a store a few years ago and a young man attempted to return a suit without the receipt.  Tags were on the garment and argued with the store manager for a longgg time that he should get the money refund.  The store manager offered him only a store credit.  The young man followed the store manager around threatening.  See what I mean?  Customers like that are everywhere.

I can only say that since September my sales of Ebay has  increased substantially after being in the dumps all year long.  I guess Ebay made friends with Google.  Sales from EB are 2X's AMZ, which is unusual because it's normally the other way around.

A Positive View of Online Selling   A Positive View of Online Selling

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 9 07:10:15 2015

BTW, I want to also thank Ina for this forum.

BTW, I hardly ever have returns like some sellers complain about.

A Positive View of Online Selling   A Positive View of Online Selling

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 9 08:54:36 2015

I agree, thank you Ina for great site to get up to date information. I agree with Chicago48. I have very few returns but I am sure there are certain categories like clothing or shoes that are categories that are highly impacted by returns. All I can say is, for once, I'm glad I sell the china I sell!

A Positive View of Online Selling   A Positive View of Online Selling

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Nov 9 10:49:45 2015

I also want to Thank David & Ina for bringing this forum to all of us to stay informed, learn and enjoy.

I sell on eBay

I LOVE MY JOB!

Is it better then the $42 an hour Boeing pays Tool Makers?
(my old day job)

I think so. . .

A Positive View of Online Selling   A Positive View of Online Selling

by: Susie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 9 13:13:13 2015

Thank you, Barbara. Well said, and it's about time someone said it.

A Positive View of Online Selling   A Positive View of Online Selling

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 9 14:34:01 2015

I couldn't do without my Ruby Lane store now-70% of my yearly income comes from there. I have to say that selling on Ruby Lane couldn't be a more pleasant experience. The only rotten scamming buyer I ever encountered there was another Ruby Lane Shop Owner who also has a big presence on Ebay (shocker) and brought Ebay tactics along with her.
With over 1000 sales I can honestly say that my customers there have restored my faith in internet buyers.
I truly believe that the venue has a lot to do with the caliber of buyers and nothing would induce me to move OFF Ruby Lane that I can foresee. A better place to sell IS out there-you just have to look :O)

A Positive View of Online Selling   A Positive View of Online Selling

by: songe-d-automne This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 10 09:13:41 2015

Even though I write a blog dedicated to terrible customer experiences (Ebay's Bitter Barista) on blogspot, I have to agree with Barbara.

The vast majority of buyers are good people and decent buyers in the end. I have done thousands of transactions in 16 years and probably have had only 30 or 40 bad eggs in all that time. Not terrible odds.