Mon Nov 2 2015 09:28:52

eBay Duplicate Listing Policy is Ambiguous

By: Reader

I wish eBay would clarify the Duplicate Listing Policy or take Action on reported violations.

Example 1: If a seller lists an identical item - same title - same price - same Item Specifics - same Picture  = Automatic Policy Violations MC99 and takedown of duplicate.

Example 2: If a seller lists an identical item - modifies title by 1 Character - price by 1 cent - Item Specifics by 1 entry - flips Picture Upside down =  eBay does not take the duplicate down even if reported.

So a very "ambitious" seller will list the same item - produced by the same manufacturer - all identical - 5-10 times and list those with various prices, some at the low end - some in the middle and some at the higher end, using this scheme.

Sellers who bides by the eBay policy - will get pushed out - the chances of 1 good listing selling versus the "ambitious" sellers 5-10 listings getting a hit is almost nil.

It is very few sellers who go to these extends, however, in our listing area - eBay Motors, Parts & Accessories, there is one seller who takes this way of "marketing" to the extreme.

The seller has been reported again and again by several other sellers, sometimes with 10+ listings being duplicates of the one and same item, yet no action is taken by eBay - every conversation with eBay Trust & Security gets the response, that this is clearly wrong and a violations and some CSR's go to great extent to get this reported, yet, nothing happens in the end, and it seems the seller gets more encouragement to produce even more duplicates. This particular seller has 1000s of duplicates - 1000s.

So, this is why we are asking for clarification. Does eBay permit this - and if YES, let all of us know, because we all have the ability to do that. If eBay does not permit this, take action on the reports.

Reading the eBay Duplicate Listing policy as carefully as possible, as it applies to Parts & Accessories of eBay Motors, what the seller is doing is NOT permitted and yet eBay does nothing at all.
Signed,
Confidential

eBay Duplicate Listing Policy is Ambiguous   eBay Duplicate Listing Policy is Ambiguous

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 09:52:13 2015

I'm shocked!

Simply shocked I tell you!!!

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 10:04:18 2015

Gesh this has been happening for years.

Why waste your time reporting it. Do you really think that Ebay cares about a duplicate.

Time to move on and find something else to complain about.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Mon Nov 2 10:20:54 2015

How much do you wanna bet the violating party or parties is from somewhere in Asia? If so, they are immune from things that would sink a US seller (dupe listings, bad feedback, horrible customer service, delivery times in excess of 30 days, etc....). Besides, the more listings they post means more advertising ''Sponsored Links'' for eBay to be paid per click. After all, it's really about selling someone else's stuff here, not the seller's items.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Nov 2 10:57:28 2015

I list many duplicate listings of used tools without them being pulled.

Same title, same price, different pictures.

I think it makes a difference if the product is new or used.

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 11:57:23 2015

Yes, ebay severely penalizes great established sellers with unjust penalties when they accidentally list ONE duplicate listing, YET allow Chinese and others that 'purposefully' and 'flagrantly' violate their policies to do as they please..

What a HUGE double standard. I accidentally had 2 separate incidents over a 6 month period where I accidentally listed one BIN item and it was simply an oversight on my part that I had already done it.. Had a second one, and they limited my listing privleges for 7 days and then my sales went completely dark and page views went down under 100 a day for 1200 items! Had sold for 11 years and never had a day without sales and them had 25 days without a sale in a 60 day period...

Ebay executive management needs to review this policy and punish the ABUSERS, not good honest and reputgable sellers that simply make an HONEST mistake. Go after the sellers that have 1000s of duplicates, and the Chinese sellers that have duplicates across 10s of seller ids where the dominate the search because of the sheer volume.. And they do it all with free listings..

Wise up ebay! I've always said if I could bottle and sell common sense, I could make a fortune around the San Jose area ;)

PS: And what kills me is a lot of the stuff from Chinese sellers is also counterfeit trademark infringing items. And they also have website ids in pictures, in about me pages, and store pages... When you contact then they are quick to want to sell off ebay.. So they are flagrant abusers of ebay policies and have MULTIPLE CLEAR-CUT VIOLATIONS of policies, yet you report them and NOTHING, NOTHING IS EVER DONE ABOUT IT!

I have sent this stuff to the ebay for business page (Audrey), and some of the top dogs at ebay, and NOTHING IS EVER DONE... You know what happened. Nothing! Audrey blocked me from posting on the page about it, and they never ever returned an email...

SAD SAD Situation with this company.. Maybe one day they will get some common sense and ethics and will do what is right and just for all..... If they had everyone on a fair playing field, everyone including ebay would prosper to unbelievable highs, but they manipulate and pick the winners and losers ALL the time!

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 14:46:58 2015

This is what happens when computers are used to do the work that people should be doing.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 14:47:57 2015

Just add a few different numbers to the end of the title, that's what most of these sellers do, they are NEVER EVER taken down no mater how many times they are reported,

One seller in a category we use to sell in, had 3 different items, and over 1500 listings for those 3 items, and still till this very day they are doing the same, you cannot sell on ebay against this, stuff, it was one of the reasons we left.

ebay made an announcement about cracking down on duplicates, a few months ago, but as usual, it's killing off the good sellers that have an odd mistake, instead of the heavy offenders, that have been doing it for years and years.

I can tell you for CERTAIN it's Not worth your time and effort to report them,

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Nov 2 15:32:01 2015

Create a rule and someone will find a workaround.  I just stay in my lane on this one.

by: anonymoose This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 20:35:10 2015

I've been singing the same song for years. A seller who used to list like that, after about 2 years, got kicked off of ebay recently. And they are back with a new fresh account, doing the same duplicate listings they used to I am sure. I guess it will take ebay another 2 years to do something about it again. Ebay does rarely enforce their policies, I really doubt anyone cares at ebay when you report an ebay listing for anything.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 3 01:55:51 2015

eBay does this with feedbacks, returns, listings with stolen pics, counterfeit items etc - it's not new.

eBay punishes the innocent/good while it rewards the bad.

Typical eBay.

by: KAT This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 4 00:50:25 2015

I also have been a victim of eBay's unfair Duplicate Listing policy sanctions. The punishments do not fit the 'crime', if you want to call it a crime.

I am a Top Rated Seller with a 99.9% positive feedback rating out of 26,844 Feedback received.
21429 of those are unique feedbacks.
Only 1 negative in the past year or more, and that one was from an unfair customer that I just could not reason with or make happy. She did not file a case or anything, just left me the neg FB.

My defect rate is 0.31% and 100% on time or earlier ship outs.
I almost never have a case opened against me, and have  0 cases closed without seller resolution out of the very few I've had.
So, it's obvious that I try my best to be an excellent seller, follow the rules  and be  an asset to the eBay community.

The eBay Duplicate Listing policy  is unfairly punishing good sellers
for VERY small numbers of duplicate listings due to either human error or computer error and  especially eBay system errors.

I have researched this in the eBay forums and the Web and see that there are many good sellers getting punished by this policy that seriously needs revising.

I'm not talking about the sellers with numerous, constant duplicates who are purposely flaunting the policy.
I'm only talking about those of us who do our best to follow the rules and do NOT intentionally duplicate listings.

In most cases we don't even have 2 of the item and don't want it to get listed twice, but some error occurs on the seller's
end either that they make themselves, or that their staff makes,OR as importantly, that eBay's duplicate listing checker doesn't stop during the listing process.
That system is supposed to throw up a red error message that  lets us know we already have the item listed and at that point it blocks the listing [which is a good thing] & won't let it go through.
If they're going to have that system, it should work all the time, or we shouldn't be penalized when it doesn't

That system has failed me twice in the past month, so I duplicated a listing in error 2 times in October,  not knowing that it had happened. It was not for the same item each time. Different items.

I list several hundred to over 1000 listings a month, so it's possible for various reasons for me to list one again accidentally.
This happens to most if not all good sellers on eBay, if they list very many items a month.

When this happens, the items in question are EXACT copies of the one already online, because it's an item that we never meant to relist.
It's not that we changed the title a little bit to try to cheat.
So the system should have caught it and we shouldn't be penalized for an eBay system failure to start with.

I got sanctioned with a 7 day selling restriction, this week for ONE [1] just 1,  duplicate listing out of 759 listings.
That's 0.137% of my total listings, just over 1/10th of 1%.
I also had a duplicate in early October that the system  did not give me an error on so  I didn't know it went live either and got a notice from eBay about it.

The earlier duplicate was ONE [1] out of over 600 [I think] that I had online at the time, so still a VERY small percentage of my listings and an understandable percentage that could be an error.
And it was also unintentional, of course..

A 7 day or any number of days selling restriction is inappropriate punishment for human error.
eBay can see whether the seller has a large number of duplicates [indicating intentional rule breaking]
or whether the seller has a small percentage of duplicates in relation to the number they have online and/or list per month [indicating that it's a forgiveable human/computer or system issue and not intentional]

Restricting the selling privileges of  excellent sellers with great to near perfect metrics in all other areas is just dumb and wrong.

It's a lose , lose , lose approach because when you restrict the seller from putting new items online for 'x' days that equals:

Less money in eBay's pocket [lose]

Less items online for eBay's buyers to buy [lose]

Less money for the sellers [lose]

And it causes less all round satisfaction for buyers and seller alike and  floods the help center with unnecessary calls from the unfairly punished sellers, trying to fathom why they've received such a severe punishment over an occasional mistake.

It's not like we sellers did something horrible like sell fakes, or cursed a customer out,
or committed a 'bait & switch' or something that warrants a severe punishment.

It's JUST a duplicate listing for gosh sakes!

I agree, there should be policy against Duplicate Listings, but the way eBay is going about it is all wrong and is hurting the good sellers on eBay.

I have a much better approach that would be more fair to everyone

When the  duplicate listing  checking program does find a duplicate after it goes live, either it or an Account Specialist should take a closer look  to see if that seller has a good  record on other metrics and most importantly see what percentage  of their listings are duplicates.

Then eBay could set a maximum percentage allowed before any kind of sanction is put on the seller.
For example, use 1% for the maximum duplicates against the number the seller has online and/or has put online
in a month.Ebay could make that less or more.

If the system or Account Specialist sees that 1% or less of the seller's listings are duplicates, then just send a message out notifying that  seller that they have duplicates and need to remove them.
Any good seller is going to take care of that immediately, because they didn't want the duplicates online to start with.
And they would be happy with eBay for protecting them from overselling an item they don't have.
Which would equal more satisfaction with eBay as a selling platform.

No sanctions would be taken, unless after a set amount of time, say 48 hours, eBay checks again and the listings aren't removed,
then take some more serious action, because that would indicate that the seller is ignoring
eBay about it.

If the seller takes care of it, then the event would also not be held against them as a violation  in the future, on their account, since it was just human/computer error and could  happen again in the future but would still not be intentional

Item numbers could be included or not in that message but then the seller would  know they or their staff  had made a mistake and they would quickly  go take care of it.

If the seller in question has more than the set amount , 1% in this case,then eBay would follow the policy sanctions now in place, because it would be apparent that they are either intentionally listing duplicates or they have a serious staff/computer problem they need to address.

In any case, restricting a seller's selling privileges when they have way above average metrics and the duplicates either  weren't caught during the listing process or are obviously an error, is a very bad and unfair policy that doesn't  benefit eBay, buyers or sellers.

I hope that all sellers who have been unfairly sanctioned with a selling restriction for just an occasional duplicate will speak up and let eBay know how unfair this policy is and that it needs to be revised to punish the bad sellers and not the good ones, who just make a mistake once in a while.

Basing, whether to levy a sanction on a seller by figuring a  percentage of listed items limit of duplicates within a day/week/month, would be the most fair metric, in my opinion.
I think 1% would be a fair number to allow any seller to have in a specified timeframe, but only if they go remove them within 24 or 48 hours after being notified.
Or, eBay still remove them but not levy a punishment or violation when it's obvious they are not doing it on purpose.

That would punish the bad sellers who have dozens and hundreds of duplicates, while being forgiving of the good sellers who only have a few now and then.

Even if eBay or no one else thinks my plan is a good one,
the existing policy should be seriously and more thoroughly looked at and revised to be more fair to sellers with excellent metrics in all other areas of their eBay selling account.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 4 01:29:14 2015

@KAT---This is the whole thing very nicely stated.  Human error is at the heart of MOST sellers dupe listings=--I had this just last week when I hit the wrong item to RELIST--that time I did get the Red Box Warning--as I should have!---and was able to take the listing out of the line up;  but I have also gotten Nasty Grams when I had NOT gotten a Warning--and some times I have had what can only be ebay errors that resulted in dupes--when I can't SEE if a listing or relist goes Live for instance--and I should NOT have to pay a heavy penalty for this!

And YES the problem is SEVERE in Motors---just go LOOK at the sellers and listings of--say--motorcycle headlights.  Thousands on thousands of them--generally bulbs from China--these "cancel out"  the Search for some one seeking an ACTUAL headlight--and of course you CAN'T weed these out as you NEED to use the exact same keywords.  So the item you NEED and WANT might be there--buried "under"  500 duplicate listings.  ON these they get "around"  the policy by somehow managing to "include"  EVERY motorcycle maker and EVERY model so these SAME listings show up on EVERY Search for the make and model--over and over and over---some times actual 200 items Search page after page!

And YES I have reported these sellers and many others---to no avail.

It's a system rigged against the ordinary seller.  Everybody including ebay loses--but ebay is just too stupid to see this.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 4 03:43:50 2015

Duplicate listing policy does not apply to Asian sellers. It only applies to American sellers who are limited in everything they do and sell on Ebay.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 4 08:17:39 2015

Whenever I duplicate list a red box pops up and tell me that I have the same listing.  I then discontinue the listing and check to be sure.
I cannot list the duplicate item, period.
IMO the confusion comes into being with the "active" "unsold" "draft" categories.  You can literally have one of the same item in all areas.  I've had the same item in drafts, in unsold, and in active.  It's very confusing.

by: Secret Seller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 4 09:04:29 2015

Look at this guy aquaticmagic
Ebay knows about him.  I sent them about 15 or so messages concerning him keyword spamming and dup listings.   he literally has hundreds.  Ebay had enough gall to tell me even though I provided the numbers  I needed to do it a different way to make it easier on them.  Do your D@MN JOB

Link to images of excel I provided them

http
s://gyazo.com/9335df0cdc09bdd35c3fb6a7fe22f750

Thanks
for bringing this to our attention. We're terribly sorry to hear you haven't received a response back regarding your report against the seller ''aquaticmagic''.

In order for eBay to pursue further action, we need a list of item numbers that you're reporting. I understand you've copied a number of this sellers listings to your email, but in the interest of time we cannot click into each individual listing to report the item under our keyword spamming or duplicates policy. Keep in mind, privacy is important to us, so we're not able to share the details of the actions we take. You may not immediately notice or be able to see these actions, but they can include removing a listing, sending the member a warning, limiting buying and selling privileges, or even suspending the account.
In future, to help us investigate more quickly, please use the ''Report item'' link on the right side of the listing page. Normally we will review the listing within 48 business hours of being reported. Thanks again for taking the time to bring this to our attention and helping us keep eBay a safe place to buy and sell.

I would be ecstatic to provide you with the information in a format that would make this a seamless process for you and I do Thank you for taking the time to get back with me.
Do you want this in a basic email, excel, word, pdf or some proprietary format?
Would you like different items on different sheets such as in excel we can put it in tabs at the bottom.
Awaiting your reply

by: Secret Seller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 4 09:09:36 2015

Here is a search for only 1 keyword pellia which is a plant. You can see he has multiple blatant duplicates as well as using that keyword with other plants.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=aquaticmagic&hash=ite
m3cb1cd89f4&item=260681075188&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xpellia.TRS0&_nkw=pellia&_sacat=0

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 8 21:39:02 2015

If you ask me ebay will have no choice but to copy amazon way of listing identical items. Only one listing includes new, used, and refurbish. All sellers in line with their prices. Lowest price on top.