Thu Oct 29 2015 10:02:19

PayPal Unresponsive to Reader's Security Concern

By: Reader

On Oct. 20 I received an email from PayPal to my eBay account, warning of activity that "...seems unusual compared to your normal account activities". My account was frozen until I logged in to confirm my personal info, and several links were provided to log in.

I immediately logged on to my account from an external link to find there was no unauthorized activity.

The initial email was very professional. No tell-tale spelling or grammar mistakes. I was addressed by my eBay ID.

I checked back with PayPal and forwarded the phishing email to the address provided. I was promised an answer within 24-48 hours. A week later, I still have yet to hear from them.

Just a comment on how well PayPal is protecting its clients.
Regards,
Ilene

PayPal Unresponsive to Reader's Security Concern   PayPal Unresponsive to Reader's Security Concern

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Oct 29 10:49:31 2015

I also got one of those yesterday.

I sent the email to spoof@ebay.com and received an answer the same day.

They said I needed to send the header, whatever that meant! ~ LOL

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 29 11:00:28 2015

Most of us have enough knowledge to know that when you get emails like these THAT YOU LOG INTO THE SITE VIA THE WEB SITE not just click on any button that looks good.

Its call Phishing. They are just fishing for people who aren't smart enough and just click on any old button that looks good.

Proactive users don't just click the buttons.

by: tango This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 29 11:47:48 2015

We get those all the time -  automatically lands in the spam folder - we do forward them, but if we get 4 a week - I can imagine how many forwards paypal receives - we don't expect a reply - its the internet, be careful what you click on.  All a bad person needs is your email address - those anyone can find and then the game is on.  not paypals 'fault' :)

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Oct 29 16:20:47 2015

@toolguy - You don't know what a header is? Open the e-mail and then look for either a "source" or "properties" option (different mail programs call it different things). It will contain the IP address of the sender. You can then look up the IP on Whois and find out where the e-mail originated from. eBay wants the header that so they can, possibly, contact the provider and stop the spam.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 29 22:26:03 2015

@SASIKAT---Yes the OP DID say they had used a DIFFERENT outside method to go to PP directly;  they did NOT click thru.

Please don't get mad at posters before you actually read what they have already done to SOLVE the problem.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 30 00:06:38 2015

@Comet There is no problem to solve. Users know that Pigpay and Fleecebay have always ignored anyone who might have a problem.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Oct 30 11:57:30 2015

@comet - To be fair to sasikat9, Ilene (OP) states, not in quotes: My account was frozen....

I had to read that letter over several times to realize that she was still quoting what was in the spam letter, not what actually had happened.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Oct 30 13:32:37 2015

iheartjacksparrow....you mean it's not an exhaust header?  ;)  (toolspeak)

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 31 08:05:46 2015

My, My --- had to look up to the top of the page to make sure I had not stumbled into an Amazon forum discussion...

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 01:29:03 2015

I thought everyone knew to NEVER EVER click a link from "paypal" inside an email no matter how "professional" it seems.
If you Think there is a problem with your paypal account, ALWAYS go to paypal directly from your browser and not a link.

Also,if you look at the email address it is sent from it will be a variation of paypal.

The scammers are coming up more & more scams to get you to click their links.  We get at LEST 3-4 a week and sometimes 3-4 a day.

We never send them to paypal because it is not worth our time.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 07:36:56 2015

Legitimate e-mails from PP and EBAY address you by your NAME

Not your ID, which anyone can get.